Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

I'm pretty sure there is next to no information about the new series apart from some of the staff working on it (producers, writers and directors) and that it'll be on that CBS streaming service in the US.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Veotax
May 16, 2006

So a few Kelvin Timeline ships have come to Star Trek online with the new expansion, since you can customise the ships to an extent let's swap their skins!
The Vengeance looks so much better in white!

While the Kelvin Connie is uhh...

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Just saw Beyond, loved it. Easily the best of the Kelvin Timeline films.

The Franklin was awesome.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

I thought that '09 was ok but nothing great (a promising start at least) and Into Darkness was garbage.

Don't know if that counts.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

The more you guys talk about CBS All Access the happier I get that Discovery is just going to be on Netfilx over here.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Gammatron 64 posted:

It's funny you mention that though, because people in here keep talking about designs they find ugly. If you really want some ugly designs that make no sense, look no further than STO. I mean, just look at these monstrosities:

:barf: :barf:

People who poo poo on the Excelsior \ Sovereign \ Galaxy \ NX-Refit \ whatever should just think of the horrible turds that cryptic designs and that should give them a little perspective.

Worth noting that most of these are from launch, the game was rushed out the door in about a year and a half (which is loving insane for an MMO) for contractual reasons.

They've come up with a much better and more consistent theme for their new ship designs.

Excelsior refit:

Constitution refit v2:

Akira refit:

Galaxy refit:

Defiant refit:

Nothing amazing, but much better than what they did at launch.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Every time Trek has put someone in a dumb catsuit to be sexy it's never worked. They always look better wearing a Starfleet uniform than one of those.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Duckbag posted:

Of course, the Maquis uniforms they had were ugly as sin, but they could have at least given them a special pin or something.

The Maquis crew members did actually get their own 'provisional officer' rank pips.

Ignore the captain and commander ranks, the highest rank seen on screen was Chakotay's Lt. Commander pips.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

Also I'm pretty sure that Star Trek solved the transporter murder problem already by clearly demonstrating that souls are literally real in Star Trek and they follow the transported body.

So was one of the Rikers literally a soulless copy?

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Mokotow posted:

It's a good sign that STD is billed as a Netflix Original (even if it isn't, really). I think CBS will use it to promote All Access for the first season, and then just wash their hands and hand it off to Netflix to continue running it.

I think Netflix brands anything they have exclusive rights to in a country as 'Netflix Original'. In the UK Netflix got Breaking Bad before it even hit TV (I'm not sure if it ever hit TV over here, actually) and it was promoted as a Netflix Original.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Cojawfee posted:

Why didn't they use it? Were they not allowed to use the Runabout set from DS9?

Apparently it never got used because they didn't want to 'diminish the effect' of the Captain's Yacht from Insurrection.

Fun fact: the Enterprise D was supposed to have a Captain's Yacht, but it was never used. I guess a shuttle docked in the underside of the saucer was something they really wanted to do but only were able to do it in Insurrection?

Veotax
May 16, 2006

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Don't worry, it's gotten worse rather than better.

(Also there's an animated Power of the Daleks out soon)

I was so excited when Moffat took over, his first series is by far the best of the revival but it just went so much down hill after that. I stopped watching episodes as they came out this last series, just letting them pile up and when I heard that Chibnall was taking over I just quit entirely.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Delthalaz posted:

That's drat expensive. I have the sinking feeling that even if the show is good, nobody has any desire to sign up for some stupid CBS streaming service and Star Trek will be doomed for ten years until the next sexy reboot.

Apparently Netfilx paid so much for the international streaming rights that they pretty much paid for the show's production. If it does terribly on CBS's service but does well on Netfilx then CBS would be idiots kill it.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Anyone have a link to that Axawatch site, or whatever it was called? The site that basically runs down all the poo poo the Axanar guys have been doing, need it for an argument.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Much appreciated.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

The expansion pack for Elite Force 1 had a 'Virtual Voyager' mode where you could freely explore quite a lot of the ship, I think almost every deck was there (although it was normally just a corridor going to a recognisable location from the show). Even had a bunch of collectables and minigames like a Captain Proton holodeck program. I spent way too much time playing that mode.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Timby posted:

I wouldn't be shocked to see CBS yank the other shows from Netflix and Prime and stash them on All Access.

Netflix apparently paid a massive amount of money for the Discovery rights outside of America and Canada (I think a CBS executive even said it was enough to pay for the production of the show) , I imagine CBS doesn't want to piss them off too much.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Kingtheninja posted:

Oh, the psn store had a release date of 3.14 when I looked today.

It got delayed last month or late January, I forget which.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Mister Kingdom posted:

If phasers travel at the speed of light and your ship going faster than that, you'd shoot yourself?

gently caress if I know.

There was a lovely X-Com space combat game where you would shoot yourself with your own missiles if you launched them whilst flying faster than their top speed.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Astroman posted:

They can spend millions to make a movie, but can't make a few uniforms for reasons.

I can imagine Levar Burton looking at some incredibly expensive catering on set and thinking "you know, if we cut that back by just 20% I probably wouldn't have to wear some other guys clothes." :(

They did design some Wrath of Kahn-like updates to the TNG uniform, but they decided not to use it.

They did at least make one for Levar Burton and filmed one scene before deciding to just use TNG and DS9 costumes.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

No, in fact it's cross-platform multiplayer with Vive, Oculus and PSVR all able to play together.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Timby posted:

From all the videos that have been released, it feels like something you'll need motion sickness medication to play.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JwBk3LnIcRo

Have you played much in VR? I wouldn't think this would give most people motion sickness. Generally it's movement that takes up your whole view that does that, sitting on a bridge and looking at some control panels and a viewscreen would probably be fine.
The third-person ship camera might be a problem though, I think that's something the captain can use to get a better view of what's going on.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Wasn't that episode a clip show because of a writers strike?

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Arglebargle III posted:

Paramount is trash, CBS is trash, Star Trek used to be good but who can say anymore?

Are there really fans of the JJ Abrams pair of movies? They're such turgid schlock. They're like The Force Awakens if he didn't have any story beats to steal.

I liked the first one in a "this is a good start" kind of way. Into Darkness not at all.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Arglebargle III posted:

Hopefully we'll look back on this and laugh like season 1 of The Next Generation, but who knows if it will get another season. What will CBS do when all access fails?

Keep making the show? Assuming Netflix keeps throwing money at them. Netflix apparently paid enough for the international rights that it covered the cost of making the show, granted they said that before one of the many delays so who knows if that's still true.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

If you want a better look at the ship, here is the clip with the pan from the end of the episode.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TpPAH2kqnFs

Looks like it might have a transparent viewscreen. Other than that and the holes in the nacelle pylons, I like it as an updated design.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

thexerox123 posted:

Don't they eventually get magnetic handle things they can use to open doors?

I think I remember in Voyager the had handles that they used to 'pump' the doors open when the power went out.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

On the subject of DISCO, we have a new Pike

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Hell of a lot better than Voyager's "there's Earth. The end."

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Zesty posted:

They JUST cast Spock? Season 2 is supposed to air in January.

He's probably only in the back half of the episodes, have they said if they're going to split the season in two releases again?

Veotax
May 16, 2006

skasion posted:

I don’t see how he would only be in the later parts of the season. He’s on the Enterprise, it’s right there right now. If anything he should only be in the first episode! (this will not happen)

The trailer says he requested shore leave or something, he's literally on vacation at the start of the season it seems.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

The admiralty just classified it. Struck from the records probably because of a few Mirror characters that came over to the normal universe

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Grand Fromage posted:

So wait did they actually remove the DS9 content or what? I was thinking about downloading it just to wander around the station.

No, they just launched a DS9 expansion with three missions and said that was only half of it. Then they finished the story in just one more mission and then announced the Disco expansion. All the DS9 stuff is still there, there just isn't as much as they promised.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

It's one of the 'Short Treks' episodes that are like 15 minutes long or something that are only available in the US because Netflix didn't want them.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

The closest thing to a bottle episode that Disco had that I can remember is the Harry Mudd time loop episode, that that was pretty effects heavy too so I doubt it was much cheaper.

That was a pretty good episode though, IMO.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

Click and hover over what?

Hopefully this link should work. Look at who uploaded it.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

The part I'm surprised at is Wesley Snipes for Geordi, never knew he auditioned for TNG

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Lol, not surprised that's how they would be solving Discovery's continuity issues.

The ship is sent almost a thousand years into the future and everyone in the present is sworn to secracy to never mention the events of the show, the characters, the Spore Drive or the Discovery itself.

Guess season three is going to be set in the far future.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

A Star Trek cartoon aimed at teens is going to be on Nickelodeon apparently

quote:

A new, original CG-animated Star Trek series that follows a group of lawless teens who discover a derelict Starfleet ship and use it to search for adventure, meaning and salvation is in the works from Nickelodeon and CBS Television Studios. The show, to be developed by Emmy Award winners Kevin and Dan Hageman (Trollhunters, The LEGO Movie), and overseen by Ramsey Naito, EVP, Animation Production and Development, Nickelodeon, will debut exclusively on Nickelodeon. The show will be the second upcoming animated Star Trek series, joining Star Trek: Lower Decks, which will stream on CBS All Access.

EDIT: God drat it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Also Into Darkness. Section 31 found Khan and made him build the Vengeance for them or something.

Also I think they were in an episode of Enterprise? I think Reed secretly worked for them.