Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

Sintax posted:

Ya scenes like this is why I say it's like a director's cut; I think it's just supposed to show the 1% (or 0.01%) essentially- and he is helping Clive Owen's character bend all the rules. Doesn't really need to be in the movie though because all the information from this scene is already implied, and the whole thing comes off as over-the-top. Pretty cool tho I guess

yeah like the zizek review linked earlier this whole movie is about being immersed in the world and that whole scene was just another element to be immersed in. there's ultimately no 'point' but the movie isn't trying to make one directly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ghlbtsk
Apr 19, 2005

these bath mats
are
GORGEOUS
This film is start to finish one memorable scene after another.
I see something new every time I watch it and love all the small and unusual details (like Owen having to escape without his shoes on and spending a considerable amount of time extra-pissed off and panicked over having to run for his life and protect the mother and child in his goddamned socks).

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Best car battery skull bashing moment too

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

unpacked robinhood posted:

Best car battery skull bashing moment too

Goddamn right. That scene's loving brutal.

December Octopodes
Dec 25, 2008

Christmas is coming
the squid is getting fat!
what Bremains of man?

Robbie Fowler
May 31, 2011
Yeah CoM is good, should watch it again soon.

Real Mean Queen
Jun 2, 2004

Zesty.

I remember about a month after that came out, all the lovely weed dealers in town were suddenly claiming to be sitting on strawberry cough. Good movie though

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
you know all the weed dealers in town?

what are you, some kinda weed expert

the great deceiver
Sep 23, 2003

why the feds worried bout me clockin on this corner/
when there's politicians out here gettin popped in arizona
probably my favorite movie ever. the long shots are great but its the backgrounds and the small shots that make it, like the old lady getting the black bag over her head

Real Mean Queen
Jun 2, 2004

Zesty.

Zzulu posted:

you know all the weed dealers in town?

what are you, some kinda weed expert

Professionally now yes but just as a bit of a dilettante at the time.

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013
Rip baby Diego

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
It's sad that the film bombed.

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
My friend said he didn't really like the film and it was dumb because why did people start fighting again when there was a baby there? I was like, we;ll it's just the nature of man, dude.

I also liked how the "bad guy" fish dude just dies unceremoniously in the background during the shootout. In a shittier film there'd be a hero moment where CLive gets his revenge in a duel on top of a tank or something.

Also I got real paranoid that people were not gonna have babies because everyone I knew was miscarrying their kids over the next few years after the film came out but apparently most people miscarry their first child but they never tell you that in sex ed which is a dick move.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
i preferred it when it was an episode of The Outer Limits

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
it was a p good film thanks for your opinion on this matter op it has been documented in the library of congress

Ill Peripheral
Jun 29, 2008
I just watched this for the first time last night, after every once in a while over the last 10yrs reminding myself I wanted to watch it.

I really liked it, and I think that after having very recently had a child it was a lot more intense for me than what it would have been had I watched it 10yrs ago.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Drunken Baker posted:

apparently most people miscarry their first child but they never tell you that in sex ed which is a dick move.

Seriously?

Pitdragon
Jan 20, 2004
Just another lurker
eh, it was okay i guess

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat

Kuato posted:

clive owen has been one big disappointment imo. welp, thats just how it goes i guess

the knick was amazing

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK

Yeah. As uncouth of a comparison as it might be, it's kinda like revving a motor or a chainsaw or something. The body sometimes needs a few test runs before it all "clicks"

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

I think hes confusing "not uncommon" with "most"

Spontaneous abortion is fairly common but you never notice it because it's usually due to genetic problems and they never get far enough along for anyone to notice

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat

Pitdragon posted:

eh, it was okay i guess

:agreed:

Cinematography was good, as were many other aspects. The story and delivery felt a little too manipulative. I guess that is what made it only OK.

The Cosby Mysteries
Oct 5, 2007

Happy Birthday, Mr. President

Tectonis posted:

The baby crying and stopping the fighting before the longshot walk out is goddamn art.

goddamn that scene still haunts me and it must have been a good seven years since i watched children of men. definitely needs a rewatch.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
I like the crazy babbling foreign woman

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay

jBrereton posted:

Children of Men - Smashed it
Shoot Em Up - Smashed It
Privateer 2: The Darkening - Smashed It.

Not a bum note.

Oh hi

Fucked-Up Little Dog
Aug 26, 2008

Posting live from the nightmare future of Web 3.0

Scratchmo
Gonna have to re-watch this because OP is right and the film is baller as gently caress

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
anybody else wanna come over and watch some films

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Charlie Hunnam bro walking through a warzone.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Wowbagger2004 posted:

Gonna have to re-watch this because OP is right and the film is baller as gently caress

I never thought I'd agree with someone named Wowbagger 2004, but life is full of surprises.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Listening to the BBC World Service this whole last year just sounded like this movie predicted the future. Even more so with Brexit and poo poo.

Kuato
Feb 25, 2005

"I CAN'T BELIEVE I ATE THE WHOLE THING"
Buglord
I'll have to rewatch it, apparently. And I figured Clive Owen was gonna be a huge star, I can't recall last time I saw him in anything.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
There are no more new hollywood stars like before

you get a few new upstarts like that guy who played Thor or Captain America but then they fade away. Thor and Captain America is only gonna be remembered as thor and captain america and then they'll be replaced

We still got the old guarde like the Tom Cruises of the world, but there arent many new guys on the block

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Zzulu posted:

There are no more new hollywood stars like before

you get a few new upstarts like that guy who played Thor or Captain America but then they fade away. Thor and Captain America is only gonna be remembered as thor and captain america and then they'll be replaced

We still got the old guarde like the Tom Cruises of the world, but there arent many new guys on the block

This is a good thing. I always thought the concept of "movie star" was purely idiotic. I mean if it is due to their actual acting talent, then that is fine. But that is rarely the case.

Lonos Oboe
Jun 7, 2014
I was going to post earlier in this thread but I am really upset about Baby Diego so I am taking this thread off.

A consistently under-rated movie. I get chills every time I watch it. In any other film the baby cease fire would be a bit twee and cheesy. But Jesus christ, this film earns it. It's in the little touches, like the family photos of the immigrant family who give him the shoes or the empty school. The film perpetually feels like a lovely, rainy day where the national mood has finally matched the weather. With the way things are going in England at the moment, it's a sharp depressing glimpse at a truly hosed country.

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

The scene with baby crying and that whole battle just loving freezes for some reason always gets me crying like a bitch. This movie is a solid classic to me.

PyPy
Sep 13, 2004

by vyelkin
Hey I'm watching this movie right now and I am 46 minutes in. I have just seen fields of burnt livestock for the second time...bodies piled high and burned intentionally...what does it all mean?

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

PyPy posted:

Hey I'm watching this movie right now and I am 46 minutes in. I have just seen fields of burnt livestock for the second time...bodies piled high and burned intentionally...what does it all mean?

piled...high......?...!

PyPy
Sep 13, 2004

by vyelkin
fu fu fu fu fu :mrgw:

I am reading ~the internet~ and have found two theories:

Hormoned cow milk is the cause of the infertility
Gov't burning livestock so the militants can't feed themselves

Fucked-Up Little Dog
Aug 26, 2008

Posting live from the nightmare future of Web 3.0

Scratchmo
Just noticed the battered old London 2012 hoodie, the detail in this film is great

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

Also I haven't seen this movie in a long time but I remembered just feeling drained and depressed after it was done. I can't think of another movie that did that to me.

• Locked thread