Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Knight
Dec 23, 2000

SPACE-A-HOLIC
Taco Defender

PyPy posted:

Hey I'm watching this movie right now and I am 46 minutes in. I have just seen fields of burnt livestock for the second time...bodies piled high and burned intentionally...what does it all mean?
It's been awhile since I've seen it and I haven't read the book, but there seemed to be a theme that with the human population dying out, animal populations were growing uncontrolled and possibly going wild again without people taking care of them. Even old fashion ranching requires some level of treatment and vaccinations or disease spreads through those populations, which still happens when horribly lazy ranchers do nothing more than brand their stock and let them loose to graze. Mass farming is more vulnerable to disease without proper care.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

TontoCorazon posted:

Also I haven't seen this movie in a long time but I remembered just feeling drained and depressed after it was done. I can't think of another movie that did that to me.

Check out it's a beautiful day on Netflix.

ColoradoCleric
Dec 26, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Fugee face

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

Sad face :((((

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

Knight posted:

It's been awhile since I've seen it and I haven't read the book, but there seemed to be a theme that with the human population dying out, animal populations were growing uncontrolled and possibly going wild again without people taking care of them. Even old fashion ranching requires some level of treatment and vaccinations or disease spreads through those populations, which still happens when horribly lazy ranchers do nothing more than brand their stock and let them loose to graze. Mass farming is more vulnerable to disease without proper care.

it's a uk thing, in like 2001 a lot of our farms got hit by a disease called foot and mouth and you basically had to slaughter and burn all the animals because it's so drat infectious. the imagery of burning fields of cows really stuck with us and was much more relevant when the movie came out.

it's pretty effective imagery of a dying country/apocolypse

here's a news article from 2001 about it http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/1189977.stm

Grandmaster.flv
Jun 24, 2011

Necc0 posted:

Sad face :((((

that scene/actor was amazing

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
this was a real good movie and i'm gonna watch it again I think

also good movies:
the thing
the fountain

Grandmaster.flv
Jun 24, 2011

SniperWoreConverse posted:

also good movies:
the fountain

ehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

SniperWoreConverse posted:

this was a real good movie and i'm gonna watch it again I think

also good movies:
the thing
the fountain

can confirm these are good moveis

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

origami posted:

ehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

I like it cause it's about dyin

SEX BURRITO
Jun 30, 2007

Not much fun

Wowbagger2004 posted:

Just noticed the battered old London 2012 hoodie, the detail in this film is great

I loved that detail when I first saw the film. The Olympics seemed so far in the future.

So if this movie predicts the future, does that mean SJWs are going to go super militant and become the fishes? Makes u think.

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

The average is 5.5? I thought it was 4. This is very unsettling.
the fountain is...

well, it's good but also really pretentious and awkward somehow

PyPy
Sep 13, 2004

by vyelkin
Just finished. Great film.

Piso Mojado
Aug 6, 2013

VoxIsMyCowboy posted:

Rip baby Diego

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

hemale in pain posted:

it's a uk thing, in like 2001 a lot of our farms got hit by a disease called foot and mouth and you basically had to slaughter and burn all the animals because it's so drat infectious. the imagery of burning fields of cows really stuck with us and was much more relevant when the movie came out.

it's pretty effective imagery of a dying country/apocolypse

here's a news article from 2001 about it http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/1189977.stm

I watched the movie for a class and no one was sure about the all the dead/burning cows. we assumed it was symbolism or something.

SEX BURRITO posted:

I loved that detail when I first saw the film. The Olympics seemed so far in the future.

So if this movie predicts the future, does that mean SJWs are going to go super militant and become the fishes? Makes u think.

they have the planning/tactical skills of the fishs. so probably.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Dapper_Swindler posted:

I watched the movie for a class and no one was sure about the all the dead/burning cows. we assumed it was symbolism or something.

I always assumed it was from a cull because of BSE.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

Young Freud posted:

I always assumed it was from a cull because of BSE.

i forgot about mad cow disease! when i was a kid I was terrified of getting it

hemale in pain fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Jul 4, 2016

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Oh man I forgot about the abandoned school. That was haunting.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
About the cows. Usually when a farmer dies he passes the farm to his children. I bet there'd be a lot of abandoned farms/herds with all the young people either loving off or not reproducing.

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat

hemale in pain posted:

i forgot about mad cow disease! when i was a kid I was terrified of getting it

Why aren't you terrified of getting it now?

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

Pretty thin on plot and depth of characters, but if you accept that it's really more about a portrait of the apocalyptic future, then it's pretty solid.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

It is basically the Bethesda Fallout Movie and thats ok

ps I just got Fallout New Vegas + all the DLC off the steam sale and im pretty joyous about that

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Zzulu posted:

There are no more new hollywood stars like before

We still got the old guarde like the Tom Cruises of the world, but there arent many new guys on the block

Jake Gyllenhaal is like 35 :confused:

and Michael Fassbender is only 39 somehow

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
It was a good movie but I rewatched it not long ago and every time someone has a revelation or they show the baby, some holy mother Mary church singing opera voice starts playing and it's cheesy as gently caress. Just show the drat scene.

Think Thin!
Sep 17, 2006

Flesh Forge posted:

what

Kaedric
Sep 5, 2000

Movie good.

Book also, but in a different way I guess. I think the first half of the book was the most convincing portrayal of how hosed up poo poo would actually be in such a future, and I just felt godawful reading it. It was amazing. I wasn't as big a fan of the latter half, but I'm not sure if it's because the main character turned into everything he hated and effectively became The Bad Guy, or if it was for another reason.

That was a pretty big difference, btw. I mean, dying vs becoming evil is a pretty big change. Both endings good in their own way.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

lol don't people do this now?

quote:

Due to the global infertility of mankind, newborn animals (such as kittens and puppies) are doted upon and treated as infants, pushed in prams, and dressed in children's clothing. The latest trend in London is to have elaborate christening ceremonies for newborn pets.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Visually there is a lot in common, even the sickly cows :shrug:

e: also the weirdly wooden face animations for Clive Owen and Julianne Moore

Flesh Forge fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Jul 5, 2016

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

The book is very bad

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

Kaedric posted:

Movie good.

Book also, but in a different way I guess. I think the first half of the book was the most convincing portrayal of how hosed up poo poo would actually be in such a future, and I just felt godawful reading it. It was amazing. I wasn't as big a fan of the latter half, but I'm not sure if it's because the main character turned into everything he hated and effectively became The Bad Guy, or if it was for another reason.

That was a pretty big difference, btw. I mean, dying vs becoming evil is a pretty big change. Both endings good in their own way.

Can you go into more detail about how the book differs from the film? How does the protagonist become "evil" exactly?

Murray Mantoinette
Jun 11, 2005

THE  POSTS  MUST  FLOW
Clapping Larry

Palicgofueniczekt posted:

Why aren't you terrified of getting it now?

I, for one, don't care because my brains already full of holes

dads_work_files
May 14, 2008

important_document.avi

I heard the book had some weird pro-life subtext, like it was God saying "I told you so" for having abortions

Double Bill
Jan 29, 2006

punk rebel ecks posted:

This is a good thing. I always thought the concept of "movie star" was purely idiotic. I mean if it is due to their actual acting talent, then that is fine. But that is rarely the case.

Ryan Reynolds calling himself out in Deadpool was pretty great

monkey
Jan 20, 2004

by zen death robot
Yams Fan
Was just saying in another thread, its good to watch Children of Men and Shoot 'em Up back to back.

Wicker Man
Sep 5, 2007

Just like Columbus...

Clapping Larry

Flesh Forge posted:

ps I just got Fallout New Vegas + all the DLC off the steam sale and im pretty joyous about that

Nice. Hope you like Dead Money. Some greats perks and gear from that and the other DLC.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man

Kaedric posted:

Book also, but in a different way I guess. I think the first half of the book was the most convincing portrayal of how hosed up poo poo would actually be in such a future, and I just felt godawful reading it. It was amazing.

cat baptisms

hemale in pain posted:

the movie is the basic plot of the book upgraded for the War on Terror and full of social commentary on current events- including huge livestock culls because that's what was happening at the time.

the other thing to keep in mind is that the movie is full of references to the Pink Floyd album Animals, which is of course inspired by Orwell's Animal Farm, so the mass death of kinda dumb herd animals (like cows and the sheep that are quite literally in the line of fire near the end) occurring while the elites (who literally have the pig balloon floating over their gated splendor) and the ruthlessly opportunistic Fishes (whose dogs don't normally like anyone!) fight an ostensibly meaningless war.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

dads_work_files posted:

I heard the book had some weird pro-life subtext, like it was God saying "I told you so" for having abortions

Wait, what!?

Kaedric
Sep 5, 2000

punk rebel ecks posted:

Can you go into more detail about how the book differs from the film? How does the protagonist become "evil" exactly?

So, in the book, the government (via the main character's childhood friend) is trying to get the baby because it's great PR and they can use it for propaganda. Our idealistic hero wants to prevent this from happening, and helps keep the baby away from the government for the majority of the book. The book ends when the main character's government buddy finally corners them and is about to murder them (I think he might actually be planning on killing them AND the baby at this point but my memory is fuzzy. Kind of like some 'we must keep the status quo' thing maybe? I could be misremembering that point however), and the baby starts crying and the government guy is startled (this was mirrored in the movie with the fishes) and our hero shoots him during his reverie.

At this point our hero goes through some quick mental justifications on how HE can use the baby and how he is right and correct to do this. In essence he completely replaces the government guy and I think he ends up walking up to the other government folk and them accepting him into the fold immediately with his magic PR baby. I assume he becomes prime minister after this. (There's some buildup to this, as the character has a history of working in the government etc, so it's not totally out of left field).

This is going off of like an 8 or so year old memory, so I may be a bit off on particulars, but that is the gist of it. Kind of leaves a bad taste in your mouth, but that's not to say the book is bad. Like I said, the first half is seriously convincing and horribly depressing. I felt actual emotions reading it, which is rare.

Moosechees
Jun 1, 2002

rawr

Horniest Manticore posted:

this loving movie, i remember how hard goons were jerking off over it back in the day. never saw it
Yeah, after Lowtax made a sticky declaring it the best movie ever made in the history of man it practically became a bannable offense to not like it. Goons were tripping over themselves fawning over it and were spamming online polls to vote it up everywhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RaspberrySea
Nov 29, 2004
Doesn't the book have Julianne Moore's character the pregnant one, and the black refugee girl doesn't even exist?

• Locked thread