Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Still a tad surprised that Argentina was sufficiently intact

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

Dapper_Swindler posted:

drat, i always pictured the kind in the book as 12 or maybe 10. its not like he would get real education anyway.

we're not told how old he exactly is, but he has to be less than 10. maybe 6 is a bit too young tho. but he's def. too old in the movie, more a preteen than a child.

Dyna Soar fucked around with this message at 08:07 on Jul 20, 2016

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
Should I watch "The Road'?

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

punk rebel ecks posted:

it's ok if a bit sappy. read the book if you want the full effect, it's really good but super depressing.

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

punk rebel ecks posted:

dont watch "the road", read it instead

the book the road is:
-double spaced
-really short sentences
-written the same way you are reading this list

its super easy to go through and you can do it in a 12-pack of beer on the toilet if you're determined

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Young Freud posted:

It's hinted at in the introductory shot of Jasper's home, with all the photos, Steve Bell cartoons, and magazine cutouts, that his wife was tortured by the government into catatonia for exposing some sort of injustice.

BTW, it's interesting that Americans are considered second-class citizens in this world, despite sharing many traits with the English. Julian herself mentions American parents who are killed in New York nuclear explosion and there's a one-legged man in Bexhill who tries to talk up Theo and Kee (who also works as an inside man for the Fishes). It also explains some of the adverts about illegal immigration, because it's no longer just black and brown people, it's this hidden population that speaks the same language and looks just like you.

Yeah, I need to watch that movie again and just watch the background. its a great movies either way. I liked the almost addlibbed way the chases were. like the dogs were just kinda running around and stuff. not really giving a poo poo about the human drama.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

FuhrerHat posted:

the book the road is:
-double spaced
-really short sentences

its super easy to go through and you can do it in a 12-pack of beer on the toilet if you're determined

It's a good introduction to McCarthy's writing style. Parts of Blood Meridian get confusing because you have groups of people in conversation with each other without quotation marks or anything to designate one person's dialog from another's except for diction.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

FuhrerHat posted:

wait what

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
the border trilogy is really good, too. there's a movie of the first book which isn't actually half bad. directed by billy bob thornton, hah.

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK

It's a short book and if you read fast and take long shits you can bash it all in one go.

The beer thing? Well if you're not downing 12 beers with each poo poo you take then I dunno what to tell you, dude.

Lonos Oboe
Jun 7, 2014
IIRC In the book of The Road, they come across an old camp with the remains of a baby that was roasted on a spit and eaten. The description is kinda spare and you get a sense of it without going OTT on the gore or gruesome poo poo..

In the movie, they cut that scene completely because it would either be incredibly hilarious or more likely, incredibly harrowing and depressing. I have to respect the movie, because it knows when enough is enough or the horrific poo poo.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

peak debt posted:

Which is dumb because you can survive on potatoes and soybeans forever, but if you use humans for caloric input you have to slaughter 1% of humanity every week so the humans would run out before canned food would.
the part of about eating other people didnt make sense, slave labor for sure

people are barbaric but even ISIS isnt eating people

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
Yeah, there's hosed up poo poo like a parade of catamites in chains that the movie never touches. I'd love to see Blood Meridian get a movie or miniseries treatment, but holy hell it would be brutal if it was faithful to the book.

britishbornandbread
Jul 8, 2000

You'll stumble in my footsteps
Did they address the spit roast baby in the film? I can't remember.

EDIT were there chained pregnant women in the book AND film or just the former? God it's been years.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

FuhrerHat posted:

the book the road is:
-double spaced
-really short sentences

i "enjoyed" both if thats the right word, but i more appreciate using beers as a metric of time

the movie also had the basement of humans meant for food i still think cannibalism isnt gonna happen even in the end of days but heck maybe humans do taste like pork but it didnt seem like the marauders or whatever were at a lack of food like in a donner party situation

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

numberoneposter posted:

the movie also had the basement of humans meant for food i still think cannibalism isnt gonna happen even in the end of days but heck maybe humans do taste like pork but it didnt seem like the marauders or whatever were at a lack of food like in a donner party situation

it's happened basically every time ppl have run out of food and are facing starving to death

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

numberoneposter posted:

i "enjoyed" both if thats the right word, but i more appreciate using beers as a metric of time

I smelled burning human flesh on one occasion (being in the room for an operation on a cervical cyst), and I can tell you there's nothing appetizing about that smell.

frogge
Apr 7, 2006

Maybe it's time to rewatch Man Children but I remember being disappointed by the hamfisted pointlessness injected into everything in the setting.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

frogge posted:

Maybe it's time to rewatch Man Children but I remember being disappointed by the hamfisted pointlessness injected into everything in the setting.
if you want to be really bludgeoned over the head watch pan's labyrinth but dont really

Man Whore
Jan 6, 2012

ASK ME ABOUT SPHERICAL CATS
=3

I liked pans labrynth when I was 12 and I almost cried when mr.Handy ate the fairy

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

TURNS OUT FASCISM IS BAD

NOT

naem
May 29, 2011

They should do a mashup:

Clive Owen and his son (an eyeless horror with spooky hands) wander a desolate road in the apocalypse and eat a flying baby

frogge
Apr 7, 2006

numberoneposter posted:

if you want to be really bludgeoned over the head watch pan's labyrinth but dont really

I actually liked Pan's Labyrinth.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

frogge posted:

I actually liked Pan's Labyrinth.
IT PAINTS FASCISM IN A BAD LIGHT. SERVICE GUARANTEES CITIZENSHIP.

frogge
Apr 7, 2006

numberoneposter posted:

IT PAINTS FASCISM IN A BAD LIGHT. SERVICE GUARANTEES CITIZENSHIP.

I'd like to know more.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

I liked pan's labyrinth, and didn't feel bludgeoned over the head with anything. then again, I already knew fascism was bad, and expected fascists in civil war Spain to do bad things

I never looked at the rating and assumed it was like pg-13 when I started watching it. When that old man got his face caved in I was like "holy poo poo God drat"

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

el laberinto del fauno is good

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Really if you watch Pan's Labyrinth and don't get bludgeoning of the head, you got sold a false bill of goods.

ghlbtsk
Apr 19, 2005

these bath mats
are
GORGEOUS

MeatwadIsGod posted:

I smelled burning human flesh on one occasion (being in the room for an operation on a cervical cyst), and I can tell you there's nothing appetizing about that smell.

when you were in the operating room during that procedure, had you eaten in the last three weeks?

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

who will come forward to defend these cannibals?

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

friends, romans, countrymen, lend me your ears and faces and brains

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

MeatwadIsGod posted:

Yeah, there's hosed up poo poo like a parade of catamites in chains that the movie never touches. I'd love to see Blood Meridian get a movie or miniseries treatment, but holy hell it would be brutal if it was faithful to the book.

You would need a master's touch for that. One of the things that got me when reading Blood Meridian was Cormac McCarthy doing the "artist break the rules" thing with run-on sentences, because one of the key scenes the filibuster ambush by the Comanches is essentially a one page run-on sentence. It shouldn't work, but it does and it slams that whole chaotic brutality right into you because you start it off looking at painted cows then suddenly it's an Indian ambush and people are going apeshit and fumbling for the guns and dying then the Comanches begin raping the dying. You're supposed to be taking that whole scene all at once, no breaks, no blinks, no cutaways. The closest I can think how to even do that cinematically would be as a single shot scene.

ghlbtsk posted:

when you were in the operating room during that procedure, had you eaten in the last three weeks?

Let me tell you, vomit can smell like cheese pizza if you're not visual aware of it.

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

Young Freud posted:

You would need a master's touch for that. One of the things that got me when reading Blood Meridian was Cormac McCarthy doing the "artist break the rules" thing with run-on sentences, because one of the key scenes the filibuster ambush by the Comanches is essentially a one page run-on sentence. It shouldn't work, but it does and it slams that whole chaotic brutality right into you because you start it off looking at painted cows then suddenly it's an Indian ambush and people are going apeshit and fumbling for the guns and dying then the Comanches begin raping the dying. You're supposed to be taking that whole scene all at once, no breaks, no blinks, no cutaways. The closest I can think how to even do that cinematically would be as a single shot scene.

Let me tell you, vomit can smell like cheese pizza if you're not visual aware of it.

did you see the revenant? the first shot was neat

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

sorry i only partake in live theater.

movies??? plebeian trash.

rgocs
Nov 9, 2011

Young Freud posted:

It's parmesan cheese. It literally smells like vomit of you don't know what it is. Both contain a couple of fatty acids that cause that smell. Try it on someone, it's fun.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Young Freud posted:

There is a lot if terrible stuff that happens in BM, however the part at the end with the bear has always stuck with me

That poor bear :(

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

ghlbtsk posted:

Good point.

Young Freud posted:

Give it to the cinematographer and director of The Revenant and I can see a shot like that working. The opening scene is probably the closest anybody's ever gotten to showing what a hectic nightmare a raid like that must have been.

Edit - beaten

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Young Freud posted:

Professor Shark posted:

There is a lot if terrible stuff that happens in BM, however the part at the end with the bear has always stuck with me

That poor bear :(

this is sounding a lot like the revenant (a movie I adore)

efb

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

FuhrerHat posted:

did you see the revenant? the first shot was neat

Probably my favorite part of the movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hometown Slime Queen
Oct 26, 2004

the GOAT