Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
The film is great. I really love the cinematography and gritty theme. I also enjoyed the socio-political commentary. I originally watched it ten years ago but I was too young to appreciate it. Glad I watched it again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

So the reason why they didn't go public with the baby is because they thought that the government would take the baby away from the girl and kill her or something right?

Jonesy posted:

Real talk the reverse chase scene where the motorcycle dudes get doored and Julianne Moore gets killed made me sweat with anxiety when I first saw it.

Yeah I wasn't expecting her to die that early on.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

I find that this film is more relevant today thanks to the increasing xenophobia and migration tensions in the U.K.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Out of Band II posted:

I went to buy Children of Men once and I wasn't paying attention and bought "City of Men" instead (lol i just like men apparently) and didn't realize it until i was watching it an everyone was speaking Portuguese.

Both movies are very good and with the Olympics coming up City of Men or City of God would be great films to get you into the "everything is terrible here in the favela" mindset.

City of Men sounds like a spiritual sequel to City of God.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Sintax posted:

It's one of those movies that's essentially a director's cut which is why it's more of a sleeper hit than a mainstream success, because the mainstream cant loving pay attention without cgi robots or whatever

Also the love interest dies early on. The main character dies. And you don't see the end result of the Human Genome Project or whatever the gently caress it was called.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

It's sad that the film bombed.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Drunken Baker posted:

apparently most people miscarry their first child but they never tell you that in sex ed which is a dick move.

Seriously?

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Zzulu posted:

There are no more new hollywood stars like before

you get a few new upstarts like that guy who played Thor or Captain America but then they fade away. Thor and Captain America is only gonna be remembered as thor and captain america and then they'll be replaced

We still got the old guarde like the Tom Cruises of the world, but there arent many new guys on the block

This is a good thing. I always thought the concept of "movie star" was purely idiotic. I mean if it is due to their actual acting talent, then that is fine. But that is rarely the case.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Kaedric posted:

Movie good.

Book also, but in a different way I guess. I think the first half of the book was the most convincing portrayal of how hosed up poo poo would actually be in such a future, and I just felt godawful reading it. It was amazing. I wasn't as big a fan of the latter half, but I'm not sure if it's because the main character turned into everything he hated and effectively became The Bad Guy, or if it was for another reason.

That was a pretty big difference, btw. I mean, dying vs becoming evil is a pretty big change. Both endings good in their own way.

Can you go into more detail about how the book differs from the film? How does the protagonist become "evil" exactly?

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

dads_work_files posted:

I heard the book had some weird pro-life subtext, like it was God saying "I told you so" for having abortions

Wait, what!?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Should I watch "The Road'?

• Locked thread