Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lonos Oboe
Jun 7, 2014
I was going to post earlier in this thread but I am really upset about Baby Diego so I am taking this thread off.

A consistently under-rated movie. I get chills every time I watch it. In any other film the baby cease fire would be a bit twee and cheesy. But Jesus christ, this film earns it. It's in the little touches, like the family photos of the immigrant family who give him the shoes or the empty school. The film perpetually feels like a lovely, rainy day where the national mood has finally matched the weather. With the way things are going in England at the moment, it's a sharp depressing glimpse at a truly hosed country.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lonos Oboe
Jun 7, 2014
The decision to make the cause of the sterility a mystery is a huge plus for the film. I never read the book. But I think by the tone of the film that the feeling of the world being lost in a way that is beyond our power is very effective. It's been a while since I have seen it. But was there a mention of miscarriages when it happened? It is literally the loss of hope. And the fact that at the end we don't even know if there is a "cure" for what's happened or if this baby was a fluke. It fits the theme perfectly. You get a sense that the people who rescue them on the ship represent the best part of humanity and no matter what the mother and child will be cared for. Or not, if you are a cynical oval office.

Lonos Oboe
Jun 7, 2014
Man, I hope the inevitable Gravity re-watch thread is as cool and informative...

Lonos Oboe
Jun 7, 2014
IIRC In the book of The Road, they come across an old camp with the remains of a baby that was roasted on a spit and eaten. The description is kinda spare and you get a sense of it without going OTT on the gore or gruesome poo poo..

In the movie, they cut that scene completely because it would either be incredibly hilarious or more likely, incredibly harrowing and depressing. I have to respect the movie, because it knows when enough is enough or the horrific poo poo.

Lonos Oboe
Jun 7, 2014
Hey, Matthew McConaughey wanted to make the movie out of Dan Simmon's Hyperion. Stranger things have happened. It also explains him doing Interstellar. Especially this scene: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MiEJjx4YCZU

"Oh Hey Rachel Weintraub, So's as y'all people get older, you will just keep gettin' younger? awright, awright, awright!"

• Locked thread