Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

ReLife, in which a NEET-to-be is sent back to high school to learn to not be so lovely.

No, seriously. And it's a lot better than it sounds.

MAL posted:

The story follows Kaizaki Arata, a 27-year-old jobless man, who fails at every job interview he had after quitting his last company. His life changes after he met Yoake Ryou of the ReLife Research Institute, who offered him a drug that can change his appearance to 17-years-old and to become a subject in an experiment for one year. Thus, he begins his life as a high school student once more.

This show was apparently released all at once? All 13 episodes? Which is quite strange, and after about six episodes, I can say it's definitely not what I expected going in. Normally I dread the words "High School" in relation to anime, as it's used as a convenient setting for any multitude of stories that are fantastic or completely unrelated to high school. There's an entire episode that just showcases the absurdity of having to get used to high school again after being an adult for a decade; it's a deliberate setting choice that is important to the story. Characters have been acting in uncharacteristically rational ways for anime, and in all it's kinda refreshing to watch. Anyone else checking this out?

Also it's a seinen web manga apparently.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
ReLIFE is very good and I can't wait to marathon the series over the weekend.

Too bad the webcomic updates late on Friday and isn't translated till the next week.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I like how the main character solves all his friends' problems simply by virtue of not being socially retarded like all the other actual teenagers. I also like the reveal that he wasn't unemployed due to being a shut-in loser, but because he had actual job-related trauma that prevented him from finding future employment.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I haven't seen it yet but are the episodes full length or are they like shortened episodes?

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Full length. They cover ~100 chapters.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Ah cool. Thanks.

Horizontal Tree
Jan 1, 2010
I was looking forward to this show and was really happy to see that the entire season pre-aired and is already there to marathon. I've only watched the first 5 or so eps, and its staying very faithful to the webcomic. Animation and music and such are nothing special, and I think a lot of people are just going to write it off as a lovely slice of life show, or just something very different from what it is.
I liked that even in episode 1 they show that Kaizaki is uncomfortable wearing his tie.

I was wondering ahead of time what point the show is going to cover until, and it seems they're going to be almost all the way caught up to the comic. I don't think that's really a bad thing but I do think it's going to end right in the start of what becomes a really interesting part of the story.

Horizontal Tree fucked around with this message at 08:08 on Jul 4, 2016

Armor-Piercing
Sep 22, 2009

Nightly dance
of bleeding swords

I watched all of this over the weekend and I'm sad there isn't more. Going to have to start reading the manga.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
What else has An's VA done? Her voice is super familiar, kinda reminds me of Madoka's a little.

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
the popularity of stories about being sent back in time for do overs is making me sad for japan

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

My best pose facing the morning sun!

PerrineClostermann posted:

What else has An's VA done? Her voice is super familiar, kinda reminds me of Madoka's a little.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reina_Ueda

Edit: This show makes me wonder if Japanese men have an Asperger fetish.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

Despite binge watching this series, I'm enjoying the music choices at the end of each episode, with the new watercolor pictures.

Relin posted:

the popularity of stories about being sent back in time for do overs is making me sad for japan

Only now? The suicide rate in Japan has been absurd for decades.

SilverMike
Sep 17, 2007

TBD

Wait, this actually isn't as skeevy as "27-year old goes back to high school" sounds with the way anime is going lately?

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

SilverMike posted:

Wait, this actually isn't as skeevy as "27-year old goes back to high school" sounds with the way anime is going lately?

nope! speaking for the manga at least it's fairly wholesome.

Since I've been reading it and with the full release thing I'm not in a huge hurry to watch the show now, will probably binge it at some point since I do want to see the goofy faces animated and the music stuff sounds fun since someone said it was all stuff that was popular when Kaizaki was in high school the first time around lol.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
When Kaizaki has some classmates over, they don't recognize MDs. I found that amusing, along with the cell phones thing.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

SilverMike posted:

Everyone ever has said the same thing before reading the manga and then going "huh", including me.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

Good show, would definitely watch a 2nd season, shame they ran out of budget for the last episode.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Relin posted:

As someone who this sort of story appeals to, I agree (though my reasons for wanting a do-over have nothing to do with something like unemployment). Though I certainly wouldn't want to go back to high school with the mind of an adult. The end of college or so might be a good point.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
The episode dump was weird, but I liked it.

The webcomic covers roughly the same amount of stuff + about 30 chapters, so you can basically pick it up from there (although lots of stuff happens in the webcomic that doesn't in the anime and the last episode plays out a little differently because they were trying to lead into another plot line in the comic).

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Apparently this was a special feature for CR and non-available for normal viewers hence the batch release.

I liked the webcomic except how it slows down considerably in one of the side arcs and romance is still very awkward. I noticed watching the anime it's more boring despite following the main story and all.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
there was a scene in this show where I had turned a corner on a certain character and then that character basically spoke aloud how my own feelings about them had turned and I guess that's a sign of good writing???

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
There's plenty more ways he can meddle: hooking up the Volleyball Girl with Sasuke, the PE teacher with the other PE teacher, the two Support assistants together, etc.

Book that season 2: Tying up Romantic Loose Ends.

Kortel
Jan 7, 2008

Nothing to see here.
Binged it, entertaining if a bit predictable. Not enough comic content though to do a second season though, which sucks.

Kortel fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Jul 6, 2016

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

SilverMike posted:

If it makes you feel better the webcomic took time to note the protagonist found the idea of him going on a date with a high school girl to be really creepy.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
To paraphrase the MC,

quote:

Wait, is it even legal for me to be friends with a high school girl?

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Angry Grimace posted:

There's plenty more ways he can meddle: hooking up the Volleyball Girl with Sasuke, the PE teacher with the other PE teacher, the two Support assistants together, etc.

Book that season 2: Tying up Romantic Loose Ends.

I would read this if the MC just ends up giving advice to everyone and we can pretend liking Hoshino never happened. I feel like the comic does best as an adult looking back on HS days.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Alder posted:

I would read this if the MC just ends up giving advice to everyone and we can pretend liking Hoshino never happened. I feel like the comic does best as an adult looking back on HS days.

As a 27 year old, I think Hoshino is a good character and I like her as a person.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

As a 27 year old, I think Hoshino is a good character and I like her as a person.

I like Hoshino but not a fan of them dating.

filthychimp
Jan 2, 2006
Damned dirty ape
It's kind of a shame this got released all at once, it would've been great to watch this along with the thread.

The ending twist totally got me. I had convinced myself that Hishiro couldn't be in ReLife since she had been around for more than a year. Turns out she was such a failure they gave her more time. It's totally obvious in retrospect, but still a good twist that makes her and Arata's relationship interesting.

Speculation for the future: I bet the Relife lab has absolutely no intent to wipe memories, and instead they're using the threat of memory wipes to force the subjects to grow

But still, what the gently caress is the actual goal of Relife? How is extreme therapy supposed to make them money?

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

filthychimp posted:

But still, what the gently caress is the actual goal of Relife? How is extreme therapy supposed to make them money?

I'm pretty sure we're just not supposed to think about that too much. Like, if they wanted money they'd probably get way more by selling these pills as cosmetics.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I've not watched the anime but binged the webcomic instead over the last few days, it's surprisingly good. Someone said it was bad but it seems like maybe they looked at the premise and thought it was another creepfest like a lot of series like this seem to be.

Having caught up on the manga/webcomic(up to chapter 134, so spoilers past the anime) I think the whole Neuralizer instant memory wiping of everyone underlying plot device is far and away the worst aspect of this series. If it's just a lie they tell people so they don't blab about relife, that's bad, because it very negatively affects the subject's mindset about nearly everything they do as has been shown in the last 40-50 chapters, and has prevented multiple interactions and relationships from developing naturally, in particular kaizaki and hishiro's.

If it's an actual thing that happens if you say anything about relife, then the relife project must be some kind of weird matrix or space alien shenanigans because that is some nonsense sci-fi magic bullshit they're talking about. I can buy the drug that makes you look a bit younger, whatever, but simultaneously erasing evidence your existence and memory from everyone you met during the project immediately is downright comical and not in a good way.
It's just a bad plot device all around and their reliance on it to create tension and drama lately sucks, which is a shame because it's otherwise a solid, interesting story with great characters and humor, with drama that gets resolved in pretty realistic ways thanks to the maturity of some of the cast.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer
I just finished episode 5. Holy poo poo, thank you thread for recommending this wonderful, wonderful show. I can't easily recall the last time I watched an anime that was so darn human without being melodrama. It's the most realistic "I'm a grown adult and ended up 17 again" out there. Also Hishiro and Kariu have some amazingly powerful faces.

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

This is a gorgeous and heartfelt show. It's about caring and kindness and growth. I'm at episode six and there's minimal fanservice at best and it keeps from being creepy. Creepy situations happen sometimes, but the MC is horrified rather than trying to bury himself in HS girls like other stuff I've seen like this before and summarily bailed on.

It's not some power fantasy and I appreciate that. It's about giving a poo poo. The characters so far have been fleshed out and developed well. I've had a lovely few days and so far it's been amazingly nourishing for me emotionally. Would recommend.

edit:

Also the show is full of jazz piano riffs to set the tension, tempo and mood. The show has a ton of ear candy.

Ice Phisherman fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Jul 9, 2016

linall
Feb 1, 2007
I just finished, liked it quite a bit. I didn't even mind the last episode. Hopefully they get a second season at some point. Thanks for the rec OP. I don't think I've picked this up on my own.

Argona
Feb 16, 2009

I don't want to go on living the boring life of a celestial forever.

Does anyone know where in the manga the anime ends?

DarkFact
Sep 8, 2003

Just as planned!
watched and enjoyed all until the end. I then realized Ohga and Yoake were not, infact, the same person. I don't even know why I ever thought I did. I think it works better thinking that Yoake was pretty hands off until the end, in retrospect. Still, it might warrant select re-watches to see what I might have missed with this new information :(

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Prettyboy Sameness Syndrome, you can only differentiate them by hair color and theirs is close enough to make it confusing

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Captain Invictus posted:

Prettyboy Sameness Syndrome, you can only differentiate them by hair color and theirs is close enough to make it confusing

Yeah the two dudes in the title image of the OP's post look really similar.

madmac
Jun 22, 2010
I got pretty tripped up over those two reading the comic originally, fortunately I already had it worked out before I started on the anime.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

Yeah the two dudes in the title image of the OP's post look really similar.

Swing and a miss