Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dire Lemming
Jan 19, 2016
If you don't coddle Nazis flat Earthers then you're literally as bad as them.
Tamen de gushi is a Chinese comic/manhua, all good recommendations. Also Komi-san.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Dire Lemming posted:

Tamen de gushi is a Chinese comic/manhua, all good recommendations. Also Komi-san.
The Yandere character in Komi-san is kind of annoying, but otherwise it's a fun, cute little manga. :)

Foxhound
Sep 5, 2007
Horimiya might be favorite ongoing series.

Sample frame:

Solanumai
Mar 26, 2006

It's shrine maiden, not shrine maid!

Captain Invictus posted:

Dungeon meshi is legit my second favorite manga ever, about a D&D dungeon diving team who cooks and eats the monsters they slay as they go deeper into the dungeon, complete with totally realistic depictions of preparing completely fantastical foods, it's extremely good and funny, and the art is great

Tamen de gushi is a manwha (?) yuri comedy with good fairly unique artwork for the genre and most of the characters are great

Horimiya is a high school romcom where the two leads get together early on and then it's shenanigans with them and the rest of the cast, who can get a bit samefacey at times but it's usually really genuinely funny and cute

Thanks for this, Horimiya is great.

Darke GBF
Dec 30, 2006

The cold never bothered me anyway~

Captain Invictus posted:

Dungeon meshi is legit my second favorite manga ever, about a D&D dungeon diving team who cooks and eats the monsters they slay as they go deeper into the dungeon, complete with totally realistic depictions of preparing completely fantastical foods, it's extremely good and funny, and the art is great

Tamen de gushi is a manwha (?) yuri comedy with good fairly unique artwork for the genre and most of the characters are great

Horimiya is a high school romcom where the two leads get together early on and then it's shenanigans with them and the rest of the cast, who can get a bit samefacey at times but it's usually really genuinely funny and cute

I like the sound of all of those. Yes.

Ignis
Mar 31, 2011

I take it you don't want my autograph, then.

OVAs are out

http://www.crunchyroll.com/relife

Man sure it's raining tonight

e: maaaaaaaaaaan they definitely needed an extra ova to flesh that out, the last bits were hurried as gently caress

Ignis fucked around with this message at 08:46 on Mar 22, 2018

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
I finished the manga and I'm in tears. :(

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Ignis posted:

OVAs are out

http://www.crunchyroll.com/relife

Man sure it's raining tonight

e: maaaaaaaaaaan they definitely needed an extra ova to flesh that out, the last bits were hurried as gently caress

I'm still drat happy they gave it an ending though. Also:

punk rebel ecks posted:

I finished the manga and I'm in tears. :(

It's sad to think ReLIFE is now over. 100%. There is no more media of any form. It was real fun.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

I'm surprised how much the artist nailed what (aspects of) life is like being single and in your late 20s.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

I take it the OVA ending is not the same as the manga ending? Would have been great but Your Name kinda stole the thunder out of this kind of ending last year.

Oh well, good fun show, but some of the memory manipulation parts could have been a bit more intelligent.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005
Yes, I haven't seen the OVA ending, but the manga is not a Your Name kind of thing (which a lot of people were worried about).

Here's how the manga ends, if you want it. The school year ends, and A+H forget about each other. A turns down other opportunities to work Support at ReLife, and H works in their scientific division. They run into each other at a work function, and THE POWER OF LOVE helps them remember each other. It's kind of a rushed ending, but they're dating, and A's subject is Ogha's NEET brother.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

Oh, in that case yes the OVA ends like the manga, and yes that is Your Name "via the power of love I remember!".

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Is Your Name any good? Should I watch it?

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

punk rebel ecks posted:

Is Your Name any good? Should I watch it?

It’s very pretty but, like ReLife, suffers from some plot stupidity (which doesn’t really bother me, but if that’s the kind of thing you don’t like it might annoy you).

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Agronox posted:

It’s very pretty but, like ReLife, suffers from some plot stupidity (which doesn’t really bother me, but if that’s the kind of thing you don’t like it might annoy you).

What would you say was "plot stupid" about ReLife?

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

punk rebel ecks posted:

What would you say was "plot stupid" about ReLife?

The whole mechanism of memory loss, hiding things from the subjects, and really the laboratory itself (as they could go into cosmetics and become instant billionaires).

But these are all pretty much fundamental to the series, and I like the character moments so much that I’m happy to overlook it.

Solanumai
Mar 26, 2006

It's shrine maiden, not shrine maid!
As with most of works of fiction, you've got to bring along your own suspension of disbelief. The only time I ever felt Re:Life didn't hold up its end of the bargain was the whole dissertation on memory magic pills.

These things tend not to hold up under critical examination because they were never intended to. Your Name doesn't ever breach the contract, it keeps up the mystery for its whole run time, and it's only after the fact that most people think back on the "plot holes".

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Agronox posted:

and really the laboratory itself (as they could go into cosmetics and become instant billionaires).

I can't believe that I never thought of this. Take a pill to look ten years younger? Yeah that poo poo would sell like nothing else. Let alone if it really made you look 18 forever, regardless what age you took it.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Your Name is a movie so good I went to watch it 3 times, and would have gone for a fourth if I had the time.

I'm still waiting for it to be released on Blu-ray in Korea.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
out of nowhere reading the goofy webmanga Koi Inu, there's a ReLife reference. :v:

Has the author of Relife done anything since it finished?

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

Captain Invictus posted:

Has the author of Relife done anything since it finished?

According to MangaDex, no.

I finally got around to watching the OVAs. Apart from slightly worse production values I quite enjoyed it. A whole lot of the back arcs were glossed over, including some of my favorite moments in the series, but they did it well and it's really great that the anime had a firm conclusion.

Re:Life was a kind, gentle series. It deserves a headpat.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005
The mangaka will have something new coming soon called Blue Hearts.

https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2018-11-12/relife-yayoiso-starts-new-manga-on-november-17/.139355

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Well, let's see if she can work magic with a new series, relife was pretty special.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

Here is the first chapter.

https://mangadex.org/chapter/486332/1

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
hey so I went to check Blue Hearts out again after dropping it pretty quickly due to the MC being entirely unappealing, and...according to recent remarks it hops right into a plot that involves a gang rape within the first dozen or so chapters, and the MC is still terrible even to recent updates. The feel or outright statement seems to be "I can't believe this is from the same person who did ReLife". Seems the answer to my question of "why did this stop getting updated on release" is "it's poo poo, mate". What a bummer. :(

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Eugh.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

Captain Invictus posted:

hey so I went to check Blue Hearts out again after dropping it pretty quickly due to the MC being entirely unappealing, and...according to recent remarks it hops right into a plot that involves a gang rape within the first dozen or so chapters, and the MC is still terrible even to recent updates. The feel or outright statement seems to be "I can't believe this is from the same person who did ReLife". Seems the answer to my question of "why did this stop getting updated on release" is "it's poo poo, mate". What a bummer. :(

It looks like it might be starting to get better with its most recent chapter, but yeah. Not really worth reading at the moment.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Yeah but you gotta get folks in before pushing the offputting stuff so they stick through it. If the first impression is terrible it will be disregarded by a lot of people, especially since most probably are even giving it more than a fair shot solely due to the quality of relife.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
I decided to give it a quick shot out of curiosity (I mean I read Gal Cleaning :v:) and yeah, wow, the characters are pretty unlikable.

It feels like the author is going for a breakfast club thing where you like the characters after getting to know them, but that works a lot better in a 2 hour movie than over the course of months.

The last 2 chapters were the first ones that started to seem like they might be good, but hey.

also is it just me or did anyone else immediately think of shirou emiya with the orange hair + domestic combo :v:

Lucas Archer
Dec 1, 2007
Falling...
Welp this thread got me reading the ReLife manga and wow that was such a sweet ride. I’m not going to lie, when I got to where the woman on the support staff saw what Hishiro wrote on her hand, I felt tears welling up.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

Lucas Archer posted:

Welp this thread got me reading the ReLife manga and wow that was such a sweet ride. I’m not going to lie, when I got to where the woman on the support staff saw what Hishiro wrote on her hand, I felt tears welling up.

I'm glad you liked it. It had a lot of heart.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
shame about their new series being bad

unless it eventually got good, I dunno I dropped it like 15 chapters in

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

Captain Invictus posted:

shame about their new series being bad

unless it eventually got good, I dunno I dropped it like 15 chapters in

I think even the nice people at Whiteout Scans might've gotten a little bored with it.

But it's gone from "ugh" to "this might have potential." I'll keep reading but right now it makes a lot of sense to wait and binge it if it gets good.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
well now.

there's an epilogue, and it's quite extensive.

enjoy.

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 15:00 on Feb 20, 2020

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005
Author: "yes, just to be clear, everybody's banging"

InspectorCarbonara
Jul 2, 2010

Evening, patrolmaaan.
That was a great epilogue.
Man ReLife was so good, I wonder if the creator's new series ever ended up getting better. The group that were translating it went on hiatus a while ago and it doesn't look like they're coming back.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Just finished the anime. I liked it a lot and wish they could have done a full 26 episode series because the last episodes and especially the OVA felt super rushed and it would have been nice to get more out of the characters. I also loved the jazz piano soundtrack, probably the first OST I've noticed in a while for how well it fit with the show. I recently started post-secondary after ten years working and found a lot of it hilariously relatable, from being surrounded by people a decade+ younger than me (I'm older that some of my profs D:), to completely bombing some of my first tests due to not doing anything calculus-like since high school.

Is the manga worth reading, and how different is it from the show? Is it enough that it should be started from the beginning, or can I jump in at some point in the middle like I did with Kaguya-sama?

InspectorCarbonara
Jul 2, 2010

Evening, patrolmaaan.
Can’t speak to the rest of the manga, but after finishing the anime I went and read the ending chapters which I thought acted as a good epilogue even without having read the rest because it goes a bit beyond the anime and shows you what happens with the characters afterwards.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Which chapter did you start with?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer
The manga is 100% worth reading through, although I don't recall where it picks up from the anime ending.