Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Solanumai
Mar 26, 2006

It's shrine maiden, not shrine maid!
That's not Ohga's problem though. His problem is "I don't want to go to the same college my brother did because he wound up burned out, bullied, and ostracized at work". Not even "I don't want to go to college and pursue generic cubicle hell" just not that one specific college.

I get that trauma makes people do weird poo poo, but his problem is a mess because ultimately it's trying to put in play an issue that the two main characters are intimately familiar with, and drat everything else.

The believable, engaging part is that he's self-destructing when in reality OF COURSE Kairu would love to support him. That's the kind of ridiculous melodramatic poo poo teenagers do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

All is for the best, in this, the best of all possible worlds

Shere posted:

That's not Ohga's problem though. His problem is "I don't want to go to the same college my brother did because he wound up burned out, bullied, and ostracized at work". Not even "I don't want to go to college and pursue generic cubicle hell" just not that one specific college.

Ohga is probably thinking that the attached university somehow didn't prepare his brother for "real life," when in fact the crushing burden of having to support his family while being bullied by jealous assholes is what broke him.

Ohga just doesn't know how the world works yet, and in his naivete he's making a lot of poor assumptions and bad decisions. Good thing the people he's talking to right now have first-hand experience with all this!

Tangentally: Man, working in an office in the world of Re:LIFE sounds like eight pounds of poo poo in a five-pound bag.

Solanumai
Mar 26, 2006

It's shrine maiden, not shrine maid!
It's his brother's fault for working in sales without the requisite sociopathy.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

One thing I like about this series is that it has NEET characters who aren't just total gently caress-ups. They're all people who are generally capable but have some legitimate issue that is causing them problems (like the protagonist's hang-up about his dead coworker, Hishiro's pseudo-autism, Ohga's brother collapsing under stress, etc).

edit: It's funny how one of the main reasons Hishiro thinks Kaizaki might not be a ReLIFE is that he's so normal/socially adept.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer

Mirage posted:

Tangentally: Man, working in an office in the world of Re:LIFE sounds like eight pounds of poo poo in a five-pound bag.

From my academic years (which were like 13 years ago, and who knows how up-to-date the texts and studies were) including courses in Japanese business culture, it's close to the norm for most companies to have some sort of very tight social circle and continuance of the whole nail-that-sticks-up-gets-hammered-down philosophy.

This ties into the post above where people who are just having problems fitting into a highly demanding society just become withdrawn to the point of hikkikomori, which is a legitimate and very real issue (I don't have a source for current numbers, so I could be wrong) and it honestly doesn't surprise me how much of ReLIFE might be true.

Keep in mind this is the country whose sole language has a term for "death from overwork" and government drives to get people to go home on time are nodded at and promptly disregarded by the entire corporate culture.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

MJP posted:

Keep in mind this is the country whose sole language has a term for "death from overwork"

No, any language where you can stick two words together two make a new one has that.

e: To elaborate, you can take anything that could conceivably kill someone, stick 死(death) at the end of it and get a new "word" that means "death from X".
Stuff like this is also why people keep claiming that Eskimos have [insert large number] different words for snow when it's really just the equivalent of words with a -snow suffix.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eskimo_words_for_snow

Tamba fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Mar 8, 2017

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

For example in swedish there's blötsnö (wet snow), kramsnö (hug/squeeze snow), nysnö (new snow), skarsnö (crusted snow), pudersnö (powder snow) and so on. :v:

Being an office worker in Japan seems like hell to me. :smith:

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

Poil posted:

For example in swedish there's blötsnö (wet snow), kramsnö (hug/squeeze snow), nysnö (new snow), skarsnö (crusted snow), pudersnö (powder snow) and so on. :v:

Being an office worker in Japan seems like hell to me. :smith:

There's a phrase called "Datsusara", meaning "One who escapes the corporate worker's life".

Japanese culture is all sorts of hosed up. However so are most cultures as outsiders looking in.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
scary~

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Hishiron is great.

http://kissmanga.com/Manga/ReLIFE/Ch-170--report170--A-Hand-From-Friends?id=349524

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

You know, the absolute worst ending IMO would be one where Kaizaki/Hishiro forget about each other and then randomly meet again in an epilogue and recognize each other and the series ends. I'm kinda worried about that happening, since it seems like a super popular way to end shounen/seinen romances (separating the characters for some contrived reason and having them meet again in the last chapter), and the "contrived reason" in this case has been established all along.

Krysmphoenix
Jul 29, 2010
The ending I want to imagine is Those two working at ReLife together because the company realizes that they're good at calling teenagers out on teenager poo poo. Although we're probably not going to get a good look at any romance between them. It'd be cute, but this isn't a story about love sadly.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Yes.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Krysmphoenix posted:

It'd be cute, but this isn't a story about love sadly.

I don't know if I'd say that; the Hishiro/Kaizaki romance has pretty clearly been the main ongoing plot-thread that is just guided by all the various sub-plots they encounter, and even the ReLIFE employees (beyond just the two handlers) are starting to become concerned for their relationship. I mean, it's not solely a romance, but I would say that the core plot at this point focuses on it.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
It took a while, but looks like this arc is pretty much over.

http://kissmanga.com/Manga/ReLIFE/Ch-172--report172--This-Time-I-Invite?id=359128

The wrap-up is good and cute, at least.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I hope the next arc continues the whole Kaizaki/Hishiro plotline, since there don't seem to be any more obvious subplots to cover with their friends.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Captain Invictus posted:

http://kissmanga.com/Manga/ReLIFE/Ch-172--report172--This-Time-I-Invite?id=359128

The wrap-up is good and cute, at least.

I love it when Arata makes his "ah, young love" face around Kairu and Ohga.

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

All is for the best, in this, the best of all possible worlds

Captain Invictus posted:

And now, thirty strips dedicated to the two-week buildup to the date, and then the date itself, and then the aftermath of the date.

Kaizaki and Hishiro are there too.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
http://kissmanga.com/Manga/ReLIFE/Ch-173--report173--Date-X003?id=359739

This is shaping up to be an incredibly amusing arc!

I somehow think this is gonna end up with a circle of couples spying on couples, with Kairu and Ohga noticing Ryo and An.

Also Hishiro looks really cute in her disguise.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005
These are the sorts of hijinks I've been looking forward to.

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

Just FYI, the anime is on sale on Steam right now

http://store.steampowered.com/app/572830/

Darke GBF
Dec 30, 2006

The cold never bothered me anyway~
I'm 5 episodes in, and this show seems pretty good! The premise and execution are totally solid compared to what I expected. Going back to high school even with a master's or doctorate and being unable to handle the work (especially stuff like trigonometry) was borderline refreshing.

edit: Finished it and caught up on the manga. waiting for weekly manga releases is torture

Darke GBF fucked around with this message at 06:05 on Apr 6, 2017

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
http://kissmanga.com/Manga/ReLIFE/Ch-175--report175--Forgive-me-for-being-happy--even-though-it-s-a-lie?id=363659

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah maybe it's finally happening?????

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

We can but hope. :3:

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fM3xoYACtGE

There will be a 4 episode "Final Chapter" Bluray/DVD in march 2018 that finishes up the anime.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
YES.

YES.

YES YES YES YES YES SCHOOL FESTIVAL ARC.

esselfortium
Jul 19, 2006

Cumulonimbus Antagonistic Posting
I'm so happy. I just hope four episodes is enough to wrap up the story decently.

Krysmphoenix
Jul 29, 2010
New Chapter!

Focuses completely on Kairu and Ohga, but it shows why this series is so good. Resolving teenaged angst by Sitting Down And Talking Like Goddamn Adults.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Super cute, and really well planned out breakdown of the circumstances. And as usual, the final panel is the best part.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
new chapter! http://kissmanga.com/Manga/ReLIFE/Ch-177--report177--Surprise-Piercing-Attack?id=364938

Only has three characters in it. But that's okay, because it's great. :3:

Krysmphoenix
Jul 29, 2010
That bit at the end with Ohga's brother really warmed my heart. It's nice seeing that personal regrowth that ReLIFE gave Kaizaki and Hishiro is branching out and helping out others in their old situations too.

Plus, you know, always fun to giggle at awkward first love experiences with Kairu and Ohga.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005
Haha, that panel with Kariu is great. Fantastic acting there.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Kairu and Ohga smirking at Arata was adorable and hilarious. Glad Ohga is finally getting his revenge.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

http://kissmanga.com/Manga/ReLIFE/Ch-184--report184--An-Adult-?id=371067

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005
IT'S (almost) HAPPENING!

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

...on the plus side I'm feeling much more angry now than I expected so this totally helps me get in character.
Hate to be a downer, but I don't see it going anywhere. If Kaizaki actually saw any hint that Hishiro was a Re-life subject then it might work, but he hasn't. So the truthful answer from him is "no", and then Hishiro is back where she started. e: I could be wrong I suppose.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

TheDemon posted:

Hate to be a downer, but I don't see it going anywhere. If Kaizaki actually saw any hint that Hishiro was a Re-life subject then it might work, but he hasn't. So the truthful answer from him is "no", and then Hishiro is back where she started. e: I could be wrong I suppose.

No, you're probably right. Assuming this runs it's natural course, there are some dangling plot threads (volleyball girl love triangle, Ogha's bro, the ReLife observers) that will probably be dealt with before doubling back for the main couple. This will be a tease.

Still fun though.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

TheDemon posted:

Probably, but they've been dragging it out for so long now that it would be legitimately bad writing to back off AGAIN at this point. Either that or it does happen and then the two relife coordinators are like gently caress IT and tell them because it's been poo poo-or-get-off-the-potting about their displeasure with how the relife system would treat Kaizaki and Hishiro's relationship for a while now

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

TheDemon posted:

The problem as I see it is that there's this massive deterrent against them figuring out their mutual Re-life status in the fact that, if they're wrong, they get thrown out of the program. I feel like there's gotta be some way for them to communicate to each other (about being Re-life subjects) that allows them to maintain plausible deniability, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Chizuru is cute. :3: