Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.
Will be posting an heiress of questionable/no legitimacy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.

Leona Sevvran, Bastard Daughter of Leopold III

The first three years of Leona's life are a secret known only to the late King Leopold III and, presumably, whoever her mother was. To the world at large, including herself, all that is known is that the King brought her to court at the age of three years, and proclaimed her his daughter, a half sister to his heir, and only other living child. Though he never said she was bastard born, the fact remained this his wife had died some years before, and he had never publicly wed again. Perhaps she was intended to grow alongside Leopold IV as a sister, but the age difference was too great for there to be much connection between the two. By the time she was truly old enough to connect with him, the Crown Prince's time and attentions were to busy elsewhere to spend with a young half sister.

Instead, Leona grew up with the daughters of the courtly ladies and the late Queen's ladys in waiting. And, sometimes their sons. The women and girls around her taught her all the proper behaviors and courtesy's required of a woman at court, or a Lady, or a Princess, and they spent many days and nights together, learning songs and embroidery, and dancing, doing each others hair, and swapping stories and secrets with each other. From the boys, she developed an interest in the martial arts, though she was forbidden from joining them in the yards until she was nearly thirteen.

Though her Father spent most of his time ruling the realm and instructing his son, he treasured her, and doted shamelessly on his only daughter, showering her with gifts and jewels, all the fine things in the world. As she grew, she always wanted more, and asking, was nearly always given it by her father. Nearly. Though he relented and let her train at arms, and as she proved her prowess eventually he allowed her to participate in tournaments across the realm, he would never allow her to truly risk her life in battle, being unwilling to risk losing her.

With the King's death, Leona's position at court is a deal riskier, leaving her exposed to the machinations of the other nobles where she wasn't when under his protection, and most thought she would retreat to Ianza Castle, a small fortress in the Spearhills given to her to live in the King's Will, but she chose to remain -at least most of the time- at court, where she is free to plot right back, and, after all, the court is where all the action is. And of course all the best food, drink, tournaments and attractive people are there as well. As long as she makes no overt acts of treason, she can claim the Regents protection.

character sheet posted:

Name: Leona Sevvran
Concept: Ambitious Bastard, Warrior 'Maiden', Hedonistic Beauty

Qualities
The Essence of a Queen [+6] - Born from the undisputed blood of kings, Leopold, Leona's person exemplifies the traits of true royalty. A Queenly beauty, enhanced by her years in the court and the knowledge of courtly behavior, is honed to a level to shine beyond all others. Despite her Bastardy -or perhaps because of it- her stance, voice and manner all embody the sense of power, authority and right rule befitting a Queen. Her presence is often enough to inspire her friends and intimidate her enemies, and she has the charismatic gift of inspiring loyalty in her would-be-subjects.

Warrior of Renown [+2] - While the King was alive, Leona's sights were never set towards the succession, her ambitions lead her to make a name for herself aside from her Fathers, or her role as a trophy in the court, and once in her teens, she took up the sword, using her father's doting behavior to secure instruction in the art of the blade from the courts Master at Arms. Though never allowed by her father to take a command, or even to serve in any of his true battles, she was allowed tournaments and duels, where she distinguished herself often, once even winning a champion's laurels, though in that tournament the Silent Knight did not participate.

Hedonist [-2] - The various pleasures of the flesh are Leona's main, and all too frequent vice. As the public, and especially the church, frown upon over indulgence, she does her best to keep her behavior private, and due to the potential political ramifications of some of her more scintillating exploits, she lavishes most of her favors upon other courtly women, an action that is even more frowned upon by the Vallensin Faith.

Region posted:

Region Name: The Spearhills

The Spearhills are a region of mountains, hills and plains mixed with hills, that sit near the eastern border of Sevvran. Long a personal holding of the King, or the King's family -direct control is often given to lesser members of the Royal House- the Spearhills have been steadfastly loyal to the ruling family for generations, and have been amply rewarded. The terrain is treacherous and difficult, especially to outsiders, and the only bounty of the region is in its scrub grass and the vast herds of horses who feed on it.

In part due to the difficult environment, the horses raised there are the strongest and nimblest beasts in all the realm, all the finest war horses and tournament horses are born and raised in the 'fields' of the Spearhills, and the bulk of the King's Cavalry is drawn from their population.

Qualities
Cavalry [+2] - Though not the flattest, or the richest, the rocky fields of the Spearhills are home to the largest horse population in Sevvran, and nearly all the finest war horses are born and raised there, and the bulk of the Kings Cavalry forces are drawn from the Spearhills. The thunder of Ianzan Cavalry strikes fear in the heart of even the boldest warriors in all the lands that have fought against the King.

Sevvran Men [+2] - A personal holding of the King or one of the Royal Family for generations, the men of the Spearhills are fiercely loyal to the Sevvran family, and traditionally have made up the bulk of the power base of whichever Sevvran heir succeeds to the throne. As such, the people of the Spearhills tend to be far richer and better treated than would strictly be expected.

The Spearhills [-2] - Sparse and dangerous, the Spearhills that give the land its name are a sea of jagged rocks, uneven plains, steep mountains and even steeper valleys. Though the common men of the area know most of the land well, its practically impossible to lead armies though the land on any route except the main roads. And leaving armies aside, anyone brave enough and strong enough to make it through the untamed land alone will have taken a very long time to do so. Most who try it don't succeed.

GodFish fucked around with this message at 09:20 on Aug 19, 2016

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

And we dress in black.

quote:

Glaumdrang Wealth-Checker
Where I to be in charge, I would want to have the power over the banks and wealth of the nation directly in hand, but seeing as how my ancestors squandered their wealth and were so quick to indebt themselves to the Dragon... This might be for the best. He cetainly keeps a stable currency and is quite free to insure the court is always flowing with fine goods. Where I to be in charge of the kingdom, provided Glamdrang continues as he has for the rest of his life, I would be happy to leave things be with him.

Goes without saying, no.

quote:

Kiris-Or
Dangerous. If his prowess at spying are anywhere near what the whispers say, he undoubtedly knows about my *ahem* activities. But given that at best they remain rumors at court, and no word of priestly complaints have taken shape, he doesn't appear to be spreading them. Is he sitting on them for blackmail? He needs careful watching, but making friends with him might be worthwhile, to keep my secrets secret. A danger, but potential ally.

No.

quote:

Samarah Ka Qismah

A Prophet for a Heathen God, speaking of a true Queen and putting on displays of that God's might... If she manages to stir up a rebellion supporting her false queen and overthrows the Sevvran line, I'll be in as much of a risk as the King. And if her god truly has power, what does that mean for the Vallensian faith? I've worshiped all my life, along with the rest of the kingdom, but I've never seen or heard as much as a whisper from Vallensius, and my so called sins have gone unpunished. A troubling question. Despite the danger, I would like a chance to meet with this Prophet, especially if the rumors of her beauty are true...

Yes!

quote:

Artur “The Sculptor” Regios

Its easy to see why magic is so feared and hated with people like this running around! Having a powerful mage in my employ would be wonderful, but you could hardly trust someone like this.

NOPE.

quote:

Sasha Snowdrake

I might not like her looks, but I like her style! She and her gang want the finer things in life, just like me, though we might have some disagreements on what those finer things actually are. Even so, a mercenary commander with her reputation could prove quite useful to have in my hire, if things were to go... a certain direction.

...No.

quote:

Lavelle Ingernassa

Her people have suffered greatly under our rule. A suffering well deserved for their attacks originally, but generations later, it seems to me that kindness and a return of freedoms would make them surer allies and safer neighbor/vassals than further oppression. The High Sorceress herself, ah, what a beauty. I'm sure we would have lots to discuss... privately.

Oh yes.

quote:

Count Edvard Marcel Borde

Why have we neglected our vassals here for so long? Surely an army can be diverted from the expansion wars to protect our own people. Their new leader is impressive, apparently the first in years to make any progress in their struggle. He would be a valuable man to have nearby. And they saw he's rather handsome, though new rumors have been saying otherwise lately. What to believe?

Yes.

quote:

Lord Commander Viktor Von Voss

Honorable and loyal, and an excellent commander, I hope his loyalty is to the line and the kingdom, not to my dear brother. A valuable man to have.

Too Old.

quote:

The Prince of Pigeons

Who? Some Slumlord that collects information? Perhaps suitible gifts to this 'prince' and his subjects could win them over to me. It would be useful to hear what he does, and the existance of slums themselves is a disgrace to our Kingdom.

Gross, no.

quote:

Kurt Hissin

I remember him! He was very handsome, and now a King, though one who lost his kingdom. People say he's behind the increased raids and attacks? That's disapointing... I wonder if he'd stop if he was granted rule of the land back? As a vassal, obviously, but a vassal with such a high birth and access to the ear of the Princess Leona, or possibly Queen, would be well placed to advance his people's cause further than as a rebel.

Definitely.

quote:

Sudden Clarity

The body of a monk of the Order, lithe and sweaty and powerful. How I've dreamed of it, and one as beautiful as Sudden Clarity... A dream that'll never come to pass, most like. But imagine the benefits that would come with it, with the Order and the love of the people that comes with it, I would hardly need to even claim the throne, it'd be handed right over.

If only...

quote:

Marvelous Magnus's Magic Sword

'His', It's? fights are always a thrill to watch. It's a shame he/it is made of a sword, and has no body. Well even so, he's an excellent guest to have at parties.

You are joking right? He's a sword.

quote:

Amerigo Hieronymus

A valuable man to have around, he doesn't seem the sort to be particularly loyal to an old king if a new one has control.

Maybe when he was younger. A shame.

quote:

Prince Orignoxfes

Yeah, this guy can just keep on doing his own thing. Wouldn't have any issues if de Wulfe wanted to prove again why she earned her title.

Seriously? No.

quote:

Anathema

A monster, but an inspirational one. If one elf woman could conquer the world, surely I can claim a kingdom and bring it to rights. A pity her knowledge is lost to the world, how much I could have learned from her.

If she wasn't dead thousands of years, or fictional, yes please.

quote:

Beylerbeyi Jalaluddin

The men of the steppes could prove useful in ones war efforts, but to bring so many savages into the kingdom would be a disaster. Lets hope their ruler keeps to his own lands. I don't think anything useful or especially nice comes out of there, so leaving them be costs us nothing.

No.

---------------------------

quote:

Lady Beatrice de Wulfe

I've always though de Wulfe would be the chief obstacle in the way of my ambitions, which is a crying shame. Her strength, skill and beauty would do my cause great benefit, and slaying her would be a grand and tragic waste. Of course her loyalty is the chief reason for her value, and why I can't see me being able to win it. Though not the one who taught me at first, since she took the regency, we've sparred often, and her instruction has been invaluable.

Yes.

quote:

Pope Sahalnir XI

The physical embodiment of Vallensius on earth, it's a good thing he's so old. Maybe the next Pope will be more tolerant and less trouble. Vallensius himself has had no quarrel with my behavior, so I see no reason why this wrinkled old man should take offence. Despite my belief in the faith, I do have to wonder if this man truly has any connection with the holy.

Vallensius above, no.

quote:

The Windspeaker

A bit of a mystery, but her powers would be useful. She appears to be one of the rare practitioners of magic who aren't horrifying in some way or another. And the pope doesn't like her, so that makes her alright in my book. Quite pretty too.

Definitely.

quote:

Lucius

I don't like the idea of Assassins, but their existence is just one of those parts of the world we have to deal with. This one was loyal to my father, perhaps I can win that back somehow? I'd feel far safer having him as a friend than a threat I need to worry about.

Yes.

quote:

Amporus, Heresy Incarnate

This man needs to die. Again, an example of exactly why magic is so hated. But surely the Pope's ire should be focused on him, rather than Windspeaker.

No.

quote:

Verenas of Talrimas

Might be possible to win his support away from de Wulfe if I promise the military further power. But it could really do with having less power. A quagmire.

quote:

Ludwig of Urios, the Snake

I don't like this man. Too much power, not enough activity. He's up to something, and if I end up on the throne, I'll have to do something about it.

No.

quote:

Petra Asfaran, the Wolf's Pup
Petra is (or was?) one of your closest friends from when you were little. However, you're kind of stuck with de Wulfe at the moment. What do you think of her sudden change of heart? Did it affect your friendship? If so, how?

Oh, we're still quite close. Aside from the usual friendship between you girls at Court, Petra was the only other one who shared my interest in the blade. Though she was trained by de Wulfe, and I rarely had lessons from her, we often spared together and trained together during our own time. And as any man could tell you, the bonds forged in the yard are some of the strongest you can make anywhere. We shared everything growing up, secrets and fears, we shared our first kiss, and later, we were each others first woman -though I think I'm the only woman she ever bedded - and our first man as well.

Though we share many of the same interests, and she's a frequent guest at my parties, she never developed quite the same appetite for luxury as me, and as her duties started to call her away, we've spent less time together, but the bond is no less for that. Unfortunately, in the weeks since her split with de Wulfe, I haven't had a chance for a private conversation with her, so I don't know the cause of it. Even so, since getting de Wulfe on my side is likely an empty dream, I can't say how pleased I am that I won't risk losing her friendship over the trouble that is undoubtedly to come between us. I'm sure she'll understand why I need her teacher's favor at the moment, since I'm under her protection.

Perhaps I should take her on as my own personal guard and sworn shield. Though my other visitors might make her a bit jealous if she wasn't included, and eating the same meal every night, even with different seasonings, gets rather dull...

[UNRELATED NOTE]: Renamed Royal Presence to Blood of Kings, added a small bit to the description.

GodFish fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Jul 11, 2016

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

And we dress in black.

berenzen posted:

Thanda, Dervish of the Desolate Wastes

A loyal supporter of my father, under my brother, distrust seems to have spread between these demons and our family. Perhaps I can repair that in the future. The demons are useful allys, though ones that come with a great deal of trouble from the common people and the church. The matter is a confusion.

No.

Epicurius posted:

Grand Inquisitor Karl Vondevan

Despite my faith, I have a hard time believing the Inquisition is truly acting with the will of the gods. Surely the light of Vallensius alone would be enough to show the truth or falseness of ones soul, and any truly blessed by them would have the same gift. The methods the Inquisition is going to find heretics and defend themselves against any accusations are... troubling. We have no need of this.

Haha, good one.

TheTatteredKing posted:

Octavia "Juice" Jagerpfaltz
The New Boss

Who?

No.

Gazetteer posted:

Valas the Last
Self Styled Queen of Mistfall

Its difficult to credit tales of a vampire queen rising up to overthrown the Sevvran appointed governors. It seems rather more likely that the peasants revolted and put a descendant of the last ruler back on their throne after poor treatment. By all accounts the land is filled with monsters and horror, but no one would ever willingly put a vampire in control of them. Like with Hissan, this is another sad case where I think the best solution is obvious. Grant the ruler the people want, as long as they answer to their rightful overlord.

I should like to meet this new 'Queen' of Mistfall, to discuss matters, and to see if these tales of her are true. A vampire, ha. But they do say she's a rare beauty...

Definitely.

GoldenJoe posted:

Kezak, Glorious Draahzin's Bomb Merchant

Do we concern ourselves with the politics of the Kobolds? Getting someone selling bombs to everyone out of our kingdom and back into his own city, or else killing him seem like our best choices here.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

And we dress in black.
There were so many good apps that my reaction on seeing the list was almost equal excitement that a bunch of my favorites got in and disappointment that a bunch of my favorites didn't get in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

And we dress in black.
Game was fun,thanks for running it!

• Locked thread