Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

(ba da da da dah)

What?

Food Chain Magnate is a fiendishly good Splotter game all about setting up a fast food chain in a local neighborhood. Along the way you'll need to hire staff from a collection of misfits, build your stock levels, watch out for the local area's demands and trends, undercut everyone else with the right ad campaign at the right moment, and then sell your unsuspecting customers the most expensive poo poo you can manage. It's very tight in terms of mechanics - diceless and deterministic, it's your strategy and guile that will really carry you through, to the point where many players much better than I am have come up with a huge array of potential build orders and tier lists. Currently one of the BG thread favorites, I figured it was time to give something new a try.

But why play it in a thread?

If you don't already know, Food Chain Magnate has an excellent online player over at http://play.boardgamecore.net/ - so why am I running this? There's a few reasons. For one, I think it deserves to stand as its own thread, to give people who don't know the game a chance to see it. For two, a thread format allows players and spectators to discuss strategy and look back over an entire game as it happens. For three, there's always people who don't necessarily have the time for a full game in a single go, for whom a thread might be suitable.

For four, I couldn't think of which Mage Knight scenario to run.

Recruiting / Rules
  • I'd like four or five players. We'll see how demand goes.
  • Please indicate if you're new or experienced. Skill difference can matter a lot in this game, so I will likely run a new players thread and an experienced players thread simultaneously.
  • As ever, I'd like players who can check in once per day where possible.
  • Signups will close in 24 hoursish, whereupon players will be selected by random draw.
  • COs are encouraged as this might take kind of a while to play through. Similarly, if you're able to give me an idea of what you want to do next step, that will be useful.
  • I will be doing org charts sideways, rather than top-down because this will be much easier in text, i.e.
    code:
    CEO ---> Trainee Manager ---> Recruiting Girl
         |                    \-> Recruiting Girl
         \-> Cart Operator

I don't mind how you do it - if you wanna build an image of it, feel free - just please make sure it's something that other players can understand easily.
Rules

Rules

The Games

Experienced players: this thread
New players: [Food Chain Magnate] Kiddy Meal

Stelas fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Jul 7, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ETB
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah, I'm that guy.
Let's see if my offline reputation holds online!

Preference to be Santa Maria Pizza, who specialize in not-pizza.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Not signing up to play, because I am just absolute poo poo at this game, but I would like to wish your thread luck because FCM is an amazing game that deserves every bit of attention it can get.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Sounds cool

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
I have heard fantastic things about this game, but I haven't gotten a chance to play it, mostly because I'm not dropping $100 on a game without playing it first.

Long story short, SIGN ME THE gently caress UP

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

keep yr head up, problem girl
I'm in for the rough crowd. Gluttony Burger will own this rinky-dink town by Tuesday.

gutterdaughter fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Jul 6, 2016

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Oh, right, it would help if I linked the fuckin' rules. OP updated.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

I want to try this. NEW PLAYER

Jedit fucked around with this message at 07:58 on Jul 6, 2016

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

I just reread the OP and I'm willing to retract my signup if the experienced players don't want a newbie around.

Though were that the case I would question the reasoning behind doing a game thread in the first place.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Oh yeah, I've never even heard of it so if you don't want new players I'm out too

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Some Numbers posted:

I just reread the OP and I'm willing to retract my signup if the experienced players don't want a newbie around.

I'm perfectly happy to accept all signups! The caveat in the OP is there because this is a game where the manual itself explicitly states 'this game can kick you in the teeth really hard'. Given the nature of signups I can't say for sure what skill levels players are going to be at, so it's just something I wanted to highlight. At the very least it's useful because it gives me an idea of demand + numbers + do I run a new-players-only thread in the future, etc etc.

There also isn't too much overhead in terms of graphical materials, so I am open to running an experienced-player-thread and a new-player-thread simultaneously.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Gutter Owl posted:

I'm in. Gluttony Burger will own this rinky-dink town by Tuesday.

Gutter Owl is a very scary player of FCm be afraid

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...
I am interested in this, awful at strategy games, and have never played FCM before. A winning combination for selling beer to the depressed masses!

ETB
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah, I'm that guy.

PBS Newshour posted:

Gutter Owl is a very scary player of FCm be afraid

You know this from real life? I might be intimidated then. :smith:

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

ETB posted:

You know this from real life? I might be intimidated then. :smith:

Online games

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Okay, I'm officially going to run a new-players thread and an experienced-players thread. I've updated the OP, please indicate from here on out which you are, if you haven't already!

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

I'm finding the idea of segregating the newbies and the veterans rather appealing.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

GODDAMMIT STELAS I WAS JUST POSTING THAT.

Some Numbers is a new player

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
If you are segregating new and old players I would actually like to jump in

So put me down as interested in being an experienced player

ETB
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah, I'm that guy.
ETB is an experienced offline player.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

SEPARATE IS NOT EQUAL

Also I'm not gonna play because I don't have time or energy to read the rules and not suck rear end, but I'll happily watch both games. :3:

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
I am a scrub n00b but have been interested in this game for a while so count me in.

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...
RandallODim is a new player and excited to probably still lose!

foxxtrot
Jan 4, 2004

Ambassador of
Awesomeness
I'm deeply interested in following both threads, but won't commit to playing right now.

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

I want to sign up! I am a new player who has never even heard of this game before.

Double May Care
Mar 28, 2012

We need Dragon-type Pokemon to help us prepare our food before we cook it. We're not sure why!

I'm a new player, but I just watched an hour of this game on YouTube and I think I got this.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

I'm an experienced player willing to play this here game.

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

after a great meal i like to lie on the ground and feel like garbage

I'm a new player and would love to see what the hype is about.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Sorry, work is surprisingly rough today.

Signups are closed! Your players:

The Old Crew:

PBS Newshour as Xango Blues Bar
Tekopo as Duck Diner
ETB as Santa Maria Pizza
Gutter Owl as Gluttony Burger

The New Crew (please head over to here, but corporate espionage is encouraged):

Corbeau as Xango Blues Bar
Rather Watch Them as Duck Diner
RandallODim as Santa Maria Pizza
Tricky as Gluttony Burger

Apologies to those who didn't get in, but please do feel free to stick around and spectate/discuss.

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

In the spirit of capitalism, I will now bribe Stelas.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

SETUP

In reverse turn order (see below - i.e. Gutter Owl, then ETB, then etc.), please choose where you'd like your starting restaurant to go. You cannot have your entrance be on the same tile as another player's restaurant.

After that, please PM me with which reserve card you'd like to ready.

Bank: $200 - Reserve: $???
Milestones Available | Staff Available

Xango Blues Bar (PBS Newshour) - $0 - No Stock
Duck Diner (Tekopo) - $0 - No Stock
Santa Maria Pizza (ETB) - $0 - No Stock
Gluttony Burger (Gutter Owl) - $0 - No Stock

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Not to toot my own horn but I'm pretty pleased with the setup I've got for running this. I very nearly considered having graphical inventories for everyone as well, and then I realized I didn't really want to juggle that many xcf files.

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

N15-O16, entrance on N16

ETB
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah, I'm that guy.
Santa Maria Pizza will have a grand opening at F6:G7, entrance located at G7! Come by for waitresses and no food!

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

ETB posted:

Santa Maria Pizza will have a grand opening at F6:G7, entrance located at G7! Come by for waitresses and no food!

liar, you don't even have waitresses yet

Dare you to pick one up first turn, though. It's optimatastic!

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

SETUP

Action Queue
- Tekopo, then PBS: Place first restaurant.
- All players: Choose reserve.

Bank: $200 - Reserve: $???
Milestones Available | Staff Available

Xango Blues Bar (PBS Newshour) - $0 - No Stock
Duck Diner (Tekopo) - $0 - No Stock
Santa Maria Pizza (ETB) - $0 - No Stock
Gluttony Burger (Gutter Owl) - $0 - No Stock

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Duck Diner will place S11:T12, entrance on S11

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
i7:j8, Entrance on j8

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

I believe at this point I'm just waiting on Gutter Owl's reserve pick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

I7:J8 isn't a valid placement as far as I can see, entrance in the same tile as Santa Maria Pizza.

• Locked thread