Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler

:siren: SIGN UP USING GOOGLE IF YOU WANT TO PLAY, DO NOT USE POKEMON ID ITS BUGGY AS gently caress :siren:

What is Pokemon GO?

Pokemon GO is a Mobile Free2Play Augmented Reality game where you, as a new Pokemon Trainer, walk around IRL and are randomly approached by sprites of Pokemon on your phone. You can then choose to catch or ignore them; in addition, there are also locations such as Gyms and Pokestops that allow for interactivity with the real world.

Basically, it's Ingress, but with Pokemon. The same company is running it as well!

Ingress?

Ingress is a game that blended sci-fi nonsense with real world augmentation; "portals" would appear, there were two teams, teams could fight over portals, etc. There was no real end-goal, it was more a game that allowed interactivity with the world, and caused a great many sweaty nerds to go out and experience the outdoors.

Despite a few problem players, most people in Ingress are extremely nice and friendly to new people; entire communities have been created out of it, and overall Ingress was seen as a success to those that cared.

yeah cool but what does that have to do with pocket monsters

Nothing except that the systems are similar. You are roaming the real world going to major landmarks in your area to hunt pokemon, control gyms, and meet new people. There will also be trading, one on one battling, and more generations of pokemon added in future updates.

Alright teach me how to play

There is very little in-game resources to explain what to do, so...

With your app open, create a character, and go roaming around your area. On the map there will be a few landmarks that stand out; the Blue Pokeball Symbol looking areas are called PokeStops. Once you get within the radius of the area, you can "spin" or flick the location to get free items, such as Pokeballs and Eggs. You can only spin once every 5 minutes; purple stops mean you've tagged it recently, blue means you haven't.

The Red-Shaded arena shaped areas are Gyms. Teams (more on this later) can control gyms; whoever controls a gym gets rewards such as Stardust, Pokecoins (IAP currency) and more. It's also the only battling in the game at the moment; members of the two other teams different from yours can attack the gym and attempt to take it over. You must be Level 5 to interact with Gyms. Once you are level 5, and have captured a gym, you can place a Pokemon there to "train", which will earn the Gym prestige and allow it to get stronger.

While roaming, you will get pinged about pokemon appearing. Tap the button, and point your camera towards the Pokemon. Flick the pokeball in the direction of the Pokemon, and you will "capture" it. You can miss, so you have to aim, and the Pokemon can break free randomly, just like in the console games.

Once captured,, a pokemon will come with certain stats. CP stands for Combat Points, and is a rough gauge of how strong your Pokemon is. Height and Weight do not appear to do anything, and are simple factoids about the Pokemon. Pokemon will come with two attacks; a quick attack (not to be confused with the actual move "Quick Attack" - these moves are simply faster) and a charge attack (usually a signature move; i.e. pidgeot getting Air Cutter or venonat getting Bug Buzz). HP stands for hit points, if you lose all of them your 'mon is fainted and cannot battle anymore.

Catching a Pokemon will grant you EXP, Stardust, Species Candies, and a Pokedex entry. If it's a duplicate, you can "transfer" it to the Professor and gain candies specific to the pokemon line (so, Pidgey Candies work for Pidgey, Pidgeotto, Pidgeot, but not Spearow.) Stardust and Candies are used to level up your Pokemon swiftly; you gain 100 Stardust for every wild pokemon captured, and when you trade in a pokemon, you gain 1 candy of that type, in addition to the 3 you got originally.

Battling is simpler than in the games. You can swipe left/right to dodge attacks, and swipe up to use a quick attack, or charge up a charge attack. The blue bars next to your charge attack build up throughout a battle; each blip means you can use a charge attack once. Some attacks have 5 blips, some only have 2. This varies as the moves can vary within the same species, so it brings variety to the game.

The Teams

source

Unlike Ingress, there are three teams to choose from, each representing the three Legendary Birds Moltres, Zapdos, and Articuno.

Team Instinct (Yellow - Led by Spark)
Team Mystic (Blue - Led by Blanche)
Team Valor (Red - Led by Candela)

Currently, aside from color preference, there is no benefit to picking one over the other. Pick whatever you like! Red Supremacy!

Items

Just like in the games, you can acquire a variety of items that do a variety of effects. Most, if not all of these, are straightforward and explain themselves perfectly.

ey yo i heard there was IAP in this childrens game

You can purchase Pokecoins in the shop, and these can be used to buy a variety of items. The choice to pay to play is always up to you, but this game does not appear to grant huge bonuses to players that spend a little (exp up is negligible; arguably incubators would be the items of choice.)

Pokeballs: 20 for 100 coins, 100 for 460 coins, 200 for 800 coins
Incense (Increased Encounter Rate 30 minutes): 1 for 80 coins, 8 for 500 coins, 25 for 1250 coins
Lucky Egg (Double EXP for 30 minutes):1 for 80 coins, 8 for 500 coins, 25 for 1250 coins
Lure Module (Incense but for Pokestops, works for all in the area as well): 1 for 100 coins, 8 for 680 coins
Egg Incubator (Hatches eggs, breaks after 3 uses): 1 for 150 coins

Upgrades

+50 Item Storage (Backpack): 200 coins
+50 Pokemon Storage (Storage Upgrade): 200 coins

ey yo i heard you can buy a dongle for this childrens gaem

http://www.gamestop.com/accessories/pokemon-go-plus/131550

Yes, you can, it comes with Pokecoins and allows you to play without using the smartphone. I do not think its cool or good but I am poor with life choices so I will probably get it anyways.

Words of Wisdom
  • DO NOT go roaming over private lots or residences looking for Pokestops, Pokemon, Gyms, etc, unless you have express permission. Horror stories of people sneaking into hospitals, museums, etc all for extra Ingress portals are common, and I'm almost certain police has been called on more than one occasion because some fat nerd was playing with his phone near important private businesses.
  • If you choose to meet up with other people, be a little expedient and prepare. Know where you are, where you're going, and try to stay in a public venue. Don't put yourself in harms way because you were really excited to go catch Muk in a back alley. Already some idiot on reddit nearly got beat to death in the ghetto because he wanted an oddish or some poo poo, smdh
  • Don't look at your phone when crossing streets or whatever, you'll get hit by a bus. Likewise, don't try to play while driving, you goony idiot, because you will cause an accident.
Random Facts
  • There are only the original 151 pokemon as of this writing.
  • You can hatch eggs, as they require you to walk a certain distance before they hatch. The game tracks how fast you're moving across space however, so no, you can't drive around and hatch eggs fast. You can, however, leave the game open in traffic or ride a bike and get credit as long as you aren't exceeding ~20 mph. Please, still, do not drive and play GO, however.
  • Pokestops are attributed to Points of Interest in your area; just like in Ingress.
  • Trading is not yet implemented, but is in the Terms of Service and will likely be in the game in the future.
  • The "blue glow" around your Pokemon indicates that it was recently caught.
  • The color of the shrinking capture ring indicates how resistant to capture the pokemon will be. Green is easy, yellow is medium, red/orange is hard.
  • The outer circle indicates the "strike zone" for a capture attempt. The shrinking inner circle will grant bonuses if your poke ball hits there; the smaller it is, the bigger the bonus.
  • The strongest CP pokemon is the leader of any gym, regardless of who got there first. Weaker pokemon show up first when battling gyms, building up to the stronger one. Weaker pokemon also get knocked out of gyms first should a gym lose enough prestige.
  • Are the servers loving up for you? Use http://www.mmoserverstatus.com/pokemon_go to find out if its just you or not.
  • Just like in Every Pokemon Game ever, pokemon only heal if you use healing items on them (there are no pokecenters.) You can also evolve them for a free heal.
  • Did an egg hatch and the servers gently caress up, preventing you from seeing what the egg was? Sort your box by recents and it'll show you what hatched.
Hot Tips n Tricks (courtesy of BrianBoitano)
  • Power level using lucky eggs. Save common pokemon to evolve them all at once during the 30 minute window. The evolution exp will double, which will be very nice if you also get the pokedex bonus. Also try to do this when your eggs are at 99% of their required distance. This website has a chart for how many Pidgeys you should transfer. Somebody on reddit said you can evolve around 30-40 in the 30 minute window, so no need to save up more than that.
  • You can get walking credit on a bike or a slow car. This game uses the GPS only, so you don't have to fake the up-down pedometer motion. It has worked for me up to ~25 mph. Rafzanote: please still do not drive and play go!
  • Power up before or after evolving, it doesn't matter, but wait until you actually want to fight a gym. No need to spend all your candies on a cp150 if you can just wait a couple days, level up, and get a cp250 to start with.
  • Think you've disconnected because you haven't seen any pokemon lately? Open the shop. If nothing loads, force quit your game and re-open it. Still nothing? Servers are borked.
  • Don't train up pokemon until at the earliest level 10. Your new catches from the wild will almost surely be better than anything you can train up that you caught early. You might be able to train up your early catches, but it will take a ton of candy, which will take away from lucky egg boosting (see above)
  • Min/maxing. If you want to min/max ultimate value out of your evolves and trainings, 1) choose the base 'mon that's closest to max CP already (the white arc over its head is mostly filled in to the right) and 2) wait until level 20, since you'll likely find much better base pokes to upgrade.
  • What the heck are IVs? Individual Values are random stat variances for every pokemon. In GO, this can be as drastic as a 10% difference between a max IV pokemon and a min IV pokemon. These numbers are hidden, like in the main games, and can be determined using a stat-checker (https://thesilphroad.com/research). It takes all of 10 seconds to do and can determine if your 'mon is really good or just meh, but it doesn't make as much difference as in the main games. Also, eggs universally appear to hatch high IV (usually above 75%) mons as opposed to catching them (random).

Discord

https://discord.gg/GvATQd6 - Admins are Drythe and Rafza

You can discuss GO in there, and even plan meetups for your local cities (sorry rural nerds). If your city is not listed, let Drythe or I know and we'll add it. If cities aren't being used, we'll remove them. Please be respectful of other people's privacy and generally exercise common sense, thanks in advance.

help i am an old person that only played the original games and what the gently caress is a fairy????

FireWhizzle made a Pokedex thing so you can find out what Pokemon had their types altered recently, and what each pokemon is strong/weak against.

FireWhizzle posted:

I made this thing if you want to add it to the OP

https://pokemon-go-database.com/pokedex

Optimized for mobile so you can own more gyms fast.

Helpful Links

The Silph Road FAQ - Has a lot of information rounded up in a simple, easy to use FAQ.
The Silph Road Reddit - Yeah, reddit sucks, ok, but its a aggregation of information that can be hard to find elsewhere.
Niantic Labs Twitter and Pokemon Twitter will most likely be where official updates are posted.
Starter's Guide to Pokemon Go
Egg Chart (pool types of eggs; i.e. what pokemon will appear from your 10km egg)
EXP Calculator (courtesy of mirthdefect!) - this is a really good calculator to use when planning how many pidgeys you need to sacrifice for those sweet gains
Pokemon GO Datamined Resource - Collection of information decoded from game files, very good resource 11/10
Moves by max DPS - Useful for finding out what the best DPS combination for your pokemon is.
Move Database - Useful for finding out what moves your pokemon can learn.
PokeAdvisor - No, this website doesn't steal your login. What it does, is present your game data in a much easier to understand format. Also tells you exact IV percentages!!!!!

If you have something that you think would go great in the OP, please post or PM me and I will add it!

boy are my arms tired fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Aug 1, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler
reserved in case i need to add something idk

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Do you suppose bicycling works to hatch eggs or would that be too fast like driving?

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler

Ciaphas posted:

Do you suppose bicycling works to hatch eggs or would that be too fast like driving?

This is a good question, and something I was gonna test tomorrow!

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

Looks like we're live in the US :911:

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler

Nth Doctor posted:

Looks like we're live in the US :911:

It must be slowly rolling over the nation because I cannot access it yet (unavailable in my country still).

e: it recognized the .apk and immediately let me open it from the play store so yeah we live

woo

boy are my arms tired fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Jul 7, 2016

Agoat
Dec 4, 2012

I AM BAD AT GAMES
Lipstick Apathy
All of my local Pokestops are empty and apparently I can load modules into them? What's that all about?

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Rafza posted:

DO NOT go roaming over private lots or residences looking for Pokestops, Pokemon, Gyms, etc, unless you have express permission. Horror stories of people sneaking into hospitals, museums, etc all for extra Ingress portals are common, and I'm almost certain police has been called on more than one occasion because some fat nerd was playing with his phone near important private businesses.

There's an Ingress Portal / Pokestop in the middle of Government House that is just out of reach from the sidewalk.

Can't wait for some kids to be arrested for trespassing onto the grounds. (Wait for an Open Day!)

kittiesgomeow
Oct 13, 2008

This avatar cost on average $27.
Does the app need to be just running or does the phone screen need to be unlocked/on to get pokemon? I'm going to feel really stupid if I have to look at my phone screen all the time.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
I caught a bulbasaur at work. I'm so happy

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Hi, I played this a bunch in the closed beta, and hopefully can answer some questions. I'm kind of a casual player, though, so I imagine you'll all quickly pass me. Team Yellow!

My #1 recommendation for people playing is to go into options and turn on 'Battery Saver'. After you turn it on, turning your phone upside down turns the screen black (save power by not rendering the gui), but the game keeps running. It will vibrate if you're next to a pokemon, so you can walk around with your phone in your hand, inverted, and save on battery. My general experience without battery saver is that I can walk around for an hour and this will kill about 2/3 of my phone battery.

Ciaphas posted:

I'm not sure about biking, but driving is out. Either to be fair to the kids playing or to discourage people from playing a cellphone game while driving, movement over a certain speed (I think roughly ~15 mph?) doesn't count towards egg hatching.

Agoat posted:

All of my local Pokestops are empty and apparently I can load modules into them? What's that all about?

Pokestops and gyms are different. Pokestops are never 'full' or 'empty'. You tap on it, then swipe to the side to 'spin' the circle in the middle, which gives you items. Modules are limited use items that give bonuses to the Pokestop. Currently the only module is one that makes pokemon spawn around the pokestop for, I think, 15 minutes. Useful if you're stuck in one place for a while, and happen to be next to a pokestop.

kittiesgomeow posted:

Does the app need to be just running or does the phone screen need to be unlocked/on to get pokemon? I'm going to feel really stupid if I have to look at my phone screen all the time.

App needs to be running and phone has to be unlocked for game to function. Like mentioned above, you can use battery saver, but personally I've had very limited luck with an unlocked phone in my pocket (way too easy to hit the home key), so I just carry my phone in my hand. Not optimal, I know.

No word yet on if buying the dongle will change this.

Bobulus fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Jul 7, 2016

robot roll call
Mar 7, 2006

dance dance dance dance dance to the radio

thank you OP for reminding me to not walk into traffic

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

i am installing this application on my apple iphone

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

it's live on android and iOS in the US

get it

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
And I finally have reached a point where I'm seriously bothered by windows phone's lack of app support.

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler

Bobulus posted:

Pokestops and gyms are different. Pokestops are never 'full' or 'empty'. You tap on it, then swipe to the side to 'spin' the circle in the middle, which gives you items. Modules are limited use items that give bonuses to the Pokestop. Currently the only module is one that makes pokemon spawn around the pokestop for, I think, 15 minutes. Useful if you're stuck in one place for a while, and happen to be next to a pokestop.

the Module lasts for 30 minutes now

my first 2.0km egg hatched into pidgey, rip

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Rafza posted:

the Module lasts for 30 minutes now

my first 2.0km egg hatched into pidgey, rip

Do eggs still give you lots of candy? Evolve a bunch of pidgeys and get that sweet evolution xp.

Target Practice
Aug 20, 2004

Shit.
Can't wait to see everyone one bumping into things around campus in the fall.

Vaginaface
Aug 26, 2013

HEY REI HEY REI,
do vaginaface!
Where in the US is it live? It's still unavailable in GMT

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

Well the game decided to give me an Eevee 5 minutes into playing, so that's kinda nice.

Pyroi
Aug 17, 2013

gay elf noises
Is there a way to locate nearby pokestops and gyms?

Vaginaface posted:

Where in the US is it live? It's still unavailable in GMT

It's live in central at least.

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler

Bobulus posted:

Do eggs still give you lots of candy? Evolve a bunch of pidgeys and get that sweet evolution xp.

I didn't see if I got candy or not, but my Pidgeot is sitting in a nearby gym atm so I figured I'd evolve another Pidgeot (this new one has aerial ace which appears to function identically to air cutter)

Pyroi posted:

you can zoom out the map a bit but currently no, i am almost certain someone is coding up a browser-based map similar to what ingress had for people to use

Vaginaface
Aug 26, 2013

HEY REI HEY REI,
do vaginaface!

Pyroi posted:

THERE WE GO

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

It's super effective!

How does the "nearby" widget work?

Zwingley
Sep 20, 2011

"My dear Seth, you look absolutely dashing!"

Hair Elf
I found a Paras hanging out on my drying dishes. I just washed those. :mad:

Bean
Sep 9, 2001
The game is telling me to find a pokestop, and the closest one is a church that is JUST out of range of my house. I'd usually have no problem just walking over there and getting pokeshit, but it's 9 PM and I'm in my PJs.

Am I locked out of catching wild pokemon until I roll over there? Because that sucks if true.

Also, will the app send me a push if a pokemon rolls around, or do I need to keep it open? There's no pokemon in my house right NOW, but who knows what will happen in the night.

EDIT: Just after I posted, I opened the app just for shits and giggles and a rattata rolled up into my recliner. Hey little buddy, welcome to the inside of this pokeball.

Bean fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Jul 7, 2016

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Nth Doctor posted:

How does the "nearby" widget work?

Click on it. Sort order is closest to farthest.

3 tracks - pretty far away
2 tracks - closer
1 track - start looking around for rustling grass
0 tracks - you're practically standing on it

In the beta, they started showing up when you were within 200m of them, but now that it doesn't show numbers, I'm not sure if that's changed. If you click on one particular pokemon, the widget will switch to showing just them. By observing how the order of nearby pokemon changes as you move around, you can play a hot/cold game and track down the one you want. Do not run out into traffic to get the eevee.

Bean posted:

The game is telling me to find a pokestop, and the closest one is a church that is JUST out of range of my house. I'd usually have no problem just walking over there and getting pokeshit, but it's 9 PM and I'm in my PJs.

Am I locked out of catching wild pokemon until I roll over there? Because that sucks if true.

Also, will the app send me a push if a pokemon rolls around, or do I need to keep it open? There's no pokemon in my house right NOW, but who knows what will happen in the night.

No push notifications. Gotta have the app open to catch.

If you have more money than sense, you can pay to get incense that makes a pokemon show up every five-ish minutes for thirty minutes. You also get a few of these as level up bonuses.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
There's no way to start over / pick a different starter Pokemon in Pokemon Go? I figured the first three were a tutorial, I don't want a Squirtle. :(

Chibs
Jun 28, 2004

bring it back :guillotine:

Bean posted:

They'll still spawn. I don't think you'll get notifications though. Gotta sell those crappy wristbands somehow!

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

MisterBibs posted:

There's no way to start over / pick a different starter Pokemon in Pokemon Go? I figured the first three were a tutorial, I don't want a Squirtle. :(

No way to start over, afaik. However, walking around for a couple hours today, I caught the two other starters. (and saw an Ivysaur, but it got away)

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Bobulus posted:

No way to start over, afaik. However, walking around for a couple hours today, I caught the two other starters. (and saw an Ivysaur, but it got away)

Oh, well thats nice. :) I'm not sure how much I'll be playing this since data/battery killed my ability to play Ingress, but everyone knows picking Bulbasaur was the Right Choice.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

Went on a short jog to the nearest pokestop and got 2 Pidgeot. One of them had a capture power of 150 so I'm guessing that's good.

DontMindMe
Dec 3, 2010

What could possibly go wrong?
I went team Valor (Red team). Seems pretty cool so far. Caught a Ryhorn and stuck him on a gym that happens to be at work.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
I can't register on the website cause it's broke. Nintendo why :saddowns:

foolish_fool
Jul 22, 2010
Is there a cap on CP? Highest I've seen is just past 800 but the game has only been out a day.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

I caught a Pidgeotto and a Scyther in my back yard, hell yeah. Nearest Pokestop is an italian restaurant like 2 streets over but I don't want to go outside since I'm all comfy. I'll hit it up tomorrow.

There's a pokemon gym at the park nearby, but even closer, one block away, there's one that seems to just be one of my random neighbor's houses. Kind of weird.

Lots of Pokestops nearby at churches though.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

foolish_fool posted:

Is there a cap on CP? Highest I've seen is just past 800 but the game has only been out a day.

They changed a bunch of numbers between the beta and the release today, but... Basically, every pokemon has a CP range, between 1 and the cap. The cap will vary from pokemon species to pokemon species (in general, more evolved pokemon have higher caps), and also the cap goes up every time your player level goes up.

When you're capturing pokemon, their CP will be a random number between 1 and the cap. So the higher your level, the higher the CP of the pokemon you can see. We don't know if there's a max player-level in the game. If there isn't, there isn't a max CP, either.

Again, they changed numbers around, but in the beta we saw pokemon with CP as high as like 4000 after about a month of play. I was a more casual player, here's what I had at beta end:

(The first...five I think are CP capped for my level. So Arcanine has a higher cp cap than Pidgeot, for example.)

Bobulus fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Jul 7, 2016

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

It's super effective!

Bobulus posted:

1 track - start looking around for rustling grass

Is rustling grass the bursts of leaves on the map? I walked on top of quite a few of those without luck.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Nth Doctor posted:

Is rustling grass the bursts of leaves on the map? I walked on top of quite a few of those without luck.

Yeah, that wasn't in the beta, so I'm still learning the details, but it seems like those spots are more likely to have pokemon in them, but not guaranteed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012
Pressing on the rustling grass once they are inside the ring around your character causes a little blue flash that I think makes them pop out? Not sure really.

• Locked thread