Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Kelp Plankton posted:

Lots of Pokestops nearby at churches though.

That's because every Pokestop/gym is based off an Ingress portal location, and submitted Ingress portal is supposed to be a significant architectural landmark. It even uses pictures from Ingress for those locations.

I don't know what I was expecting, but I find it extremely funny.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

i found a gym but you gotta be level 5 smh. how do you get eggs for hatching

Chekans 3 16
Jan 2, 2012

No Resetti.
No Continues.

Grimey Drawer
Caught an XL Ekans napping at my desk at work, I wasn't expecting them to pop up that nearby to me since I'm far from any landmarks. :feelsgood:

Beast Pussy
Nov 30, 2006

You are dark inside

Is this game worth downgrading from Android N to Marshmallow? Also, what are the odds of a workaround to get it to work on N?

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!
I assume Level 5 is when you can join a team?

Anyway. Downloaded it. Found a Squirtle in my room. Went for a quick walk around the block and now I got a Tauros, Bellsprout, Oddish, and caterpie too.

Only the Tauros and Oddish seem worth anything right now.

There's a semi close stop in the park near me but I'm out in the sticks so I guess going into work and walking around there will be the best bet for finding poo poo.

Bean
Sep 9, 2001
My husband started this game up and I noticed he had different pokemon nearby. So it seems to be individually generated, at least.

Lucky bastard has a doduo nearby, I just have trash.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Super No Vacancy posted:

i found a gym but you gotta be level 5 smh. how do you get eggs for hatching

Eggs drop from PokeStops. You can have up to 9 in your inventory. You can see them by swiping right from the Pokemon inventory. Each egg displays how far you have to walk to hatch it. (2km, 5km, 10km are the ones I've seen.). Hatching an egg gets you a pokemon and some Candy for that pokemon. In general, higher distance eggs give you better rewards: rarer pokemon, more candy.

Oh, and you have to put the egg in an incubator before it'll start counting distance. You get one for free (unlimited use) and can by more in the store (3 uses each) if you want to hatch multiple eggs at once.

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib
Yesss. :3:

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

My Eevee is smaller than that but 2 kg heavier. I got a fat Eevee.

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
I'm playing this stupid game god help me

I got a Dragonair and a Psyduck and took over two gyms. Go team Mystic.

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler

angerbeet posted:

no judging in this thread friend

except maybe choice in team

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

So I just caught a Bulbasaur in my living room, and then the Pokeball just kind of sat there on the ground until my phone went idle

Tapping doesn't seem to do anything, I'm just looking at an image of my living room with a pokeball superimposed on it on the ground

Am I playing this game right?

Radio!
Mar 15, 2008

Look at that post.

So I downloaded this but I just get to the "Remember not to walk into traffic!" screen and when I hit okay it just goes to a blank blue/green screen and nothing happens. Any advice?

I just wanna catch some pokeymans :(

CaptianKatsura
Feb 28, 2011

I'm not Katsura, I'm Captain Katsura!

loquacius posted:

So I just caught a Bulbasaur in my living room, and then the Pokeball just kind of sat there on the ground until my phone went idle

Tapping doesn't seem to do anything, I'm just looking at an image of my living room with a pokeball superimposed on it on the ground

Am I playing this game right?

This has happened to me a few times. Restarting the app fixes it, and gives you the pokemon (if the capture was successful).

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
get hosed guy I just stole a gym from

:smug:

also caught a 366 CP Magmar

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

I think the 'Pokeball sits there forever' thing happens if you lose data at a critical moment.

There's a similar thing where if you lose GPS during a gym fight, the fight will freeze (or sometimes the enemy will be unkillable) and after you restart the app, the game will treat it like the fight never happened. I think this is intended to prevent you from doing drive-by gym attacks.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Now if I could just stick some comfy shorts on him... :3:

Rafza posted:

ey yo i heard you can buy a dongle for this childrens gaem

http://www.gamestop.com/accessories/pokemon-go-plus/131550

Yes, you can, it comes with Pokecoins and allows you to play without using the smartphone. I do not think its cool or good but I am poor with life choices so I will probably get it anyways.

After playing KHUX with you, I can confirm that you're a Wailord.

Bobulus posted:

My #1 recommendation for people playing is to go into options and turn on 'Battery Saver'. After you turn it on, turning your phone upside down turns the screen black (save power by not rendering the gui), but the game keeps running. It will vibrate if you're next to a pokemon, so you can walk around with your phone in your hand, inverted, and save on battery. My general experience without battery saver is that I can walk around for an hour and this will kill about 2/3 of my phone battery.

Doesn't seem to work for me. :(

Timboslice
Jan 4, 2008

The whole world must learn of our peaceful ways, by force!
So four of my friends are playing this and have already admitted while they were driving home they were trying to get drive-by captures.

What's the ETA for someone having a serious crash or death while playing this on the road?

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

CaptianKatsura posted:

This has happened to me a few times. Restarting the app fixes it, and gives you the pokemon (if the capture was successful).

This must not work for pokemon #1, because I restarted and I'm back at the buff bro professor explaining the concept of pokemon to me and inviting me to pick what colors my anime girl is :(

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Played this last night but the servers are hosed from the app store adding it globally.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

angerbeet posted:

deleted Miitomo for this, no regrets

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Wait n/m after I picked out all my clothes again I got the bulbasaur back :toot:

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

SynthOrange posted:

Played this last night but the servers are hosed from the app store adding it globally.

quick, catch that meowth

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

https://twitter.com/boykreepon/status/750620986253324288

Loser_Rex
Apr 14, 2006

Spidercock? Here?
Just got it. Got a Rattata, Pidgey, Shellder and Drowzee. Was in the middle of catching a Jynx when the servers went down on me.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
How big does a town need to be before it gets PokeStops/Gyms? I live in a farm town and even zooming out I don't see any near me.

foolish_fool
Jul 22, 2010

Bobulus posted:

They changed a bunch of numbers between the beta and the release today, but... Basically, every pokemon has a CP range, between 1 and the cap. The cap will vary from pokemon species to pokemon species (in general, more evolved pokemon have higher caps), and also the cap goes up every time your player level goes up.

When you're capturing pokemon, their CP will be a random number between 1 and the cap. So the higher your level, the higher the CP of the pokemon you can see. We don't know if there's a max player-level in the game. If there isn't, there isn't a max CP, either.

Again, they changed numbers around, but in the beta we saw pokemon with CP as high as like 4000 after about a month of play. I was a more casual player, here's what I had at beta end:

(The first...five I think are CP capped for my level. So Arcanine has a higher cp cap than Pidgeot, for example.)

This is great. Thanks!

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

How big does a town need to be before it gets PokeStops/Gyms? I live in a farm town and even zooming out I don't see any near me.

I'm in the Dallas/Fort Worth metroplex and even zooming out all the way shows me nothing. I think maybe the servers are getting hammered so it's not populating stuff atm.

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

I am not usually a mobile anything player, and this ap refuses to connect to the server. It just gets to the man walking off a dock screen and times out infinitely. :(

I just wanted to set this up and go for a walk, damnit. :(

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014
Should I be worried that the Pokedex stops at 137 instead of 150?

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.
Is this out in Europe yet?

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Still not available where I am, sadly. (California.)

Also, question. People are saying that big things tend to be around "important landmarks". I live on a farm in the middle of nowhere, how likely is it that I will have nothing anywhere around me for miles?

HelloWinter
May 27, 2012

"Hey, Nagito, what'cha
thinkin' about?"

"Oh, y'know. Murder stuff."

Zodack posted:

Should I be worried that the Pokedex stops at 137 instead of 150?

If it's anything like regular pokemon games, the poked only shows up to the pokemon you saw/caught's highest number. In my case the poked only shows up to Jinx #124.

Zaekkor
May 12, 2010

Oh, let's break it down!

Please Niantic...I just want to buy your stuff.. :(

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Seven idiots and a bear walk into a dragon's lair.

So this UI isn't very clear - sometimes when its listing nearby pokemon it shows two little footprints and sometimes it shows three - which is closer? I'm hoping three means somewhere nearby but I haven't found anything in my house yet.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

For people who want to find Pokestops... they basically took the Ingress Portals, removed a certain percentage of them, removed the 'dangerous' ones, and made the rest into Pokestops and gyms. If you've got an ingress login, you can search an address and see the portal locations:

https://www.ingress.com/intel

You're not guaranteed to have a Pokestop there, but you've got a decent chance.

CuwiKhons posted:

So this UI isn't very clear - sometimes when its listing nearby pokemon it shows two little footprints and sometimes it shows three - which is closer? I'm hoping three means somewhere nearby but I haven't found anything in my house yet.

Fewer footsteps are closer.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

What the hell do I sign in with. Is there a diff between Google and that trainer thingy.

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Seven idiots and a bear walk into a dragon's lair.

Bobulus posted:

For people who want to find Pokestops... they basically took the Ingress Portals, removed a certain percentage of them, removed the 'dangerous' ones, and made the rest into Pokestops and gyms. If you've got an ingress login, you can search an address and see the portal locations:

https://www.ingress.com/intel

You're not guaranteed to have a Pokestop there, but you've got a decent chance.

Fewer footsteps are closer.

drat. Do you know roughly how far away the distance is? Like, if it's 3 footsteps is that within a block versus 2 footsteps being within half a block or something?

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

I just caught a wild Bulbasaur after picking Squirtle as my starter so I guess there's no restrictions on those

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Picked up multiple squirtles, a bulbasaur, 4 eevees, enough pidgeys to get a Pigeot, a Magmar, a few ekans, a few Pincir, and I took 3 gyms

• Locked thread