Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Moose King
Nov 5, 2009

Turns out that a Scyther and a Rattata were hiding under my desk at work, there was a Staryu in the bathroom, and there are more wild Zubats flapping around in my apartment than Mt. Fuckin Moon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler
I just caught an oddish that knows moonblast, a fairy move

His cp is also higher than most evolved mons I have so I think he's pretty neato

Agoat
Dec 4, 2012

I AM BAD AT GAMES
Lipstick Apathy

Rafza posted:

I just caught an oddish that knows moonblast, a fairy move

His cp is also higher than most evolved mons I have so I think he's pretty neato

The crummy part is he won't keep it when he evolves so it's useless. :/

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Oh yeah, baby. Frame your suffering as a masterpiece. Only one problem - no one's watching. It's boring, buddy, boring as death.
There were about 7 gyms on my train line on the way to work but the GPS was so shonky as to show where I actually was for 5min. Blargh.

Willsun
Dec 9, 2006

I willed too hard again...

Alan Smithee posted:

Dumb question, Kotaku guy said he caught 15 pokemans just leaving the phone to do its thing, but did he actually leave the game on as well or will it find you pokemans even just in idle mode?

A Saucy Bratwurst posted:

is there a way to make my screen not turn off when i use this game so i can leave it open on charge at home and catch any pokemon that spawn on me?

I'm not sure where people are getting the notion you can capture Pokemon without doing any manual inputs. The answer is you can't. You have to tap the Pokemon and then throw the Pokeball at them. The closest thing to doing a minimum-effort capture is to buy the Pokemon Go dongle and supposedly you just press the one button when it lights up saying you encountered a Pokemon and it'll flash the appropriate color for if you caught it or not. Repeat your one-button press if it was unsuccessful. Open the game back up on your phone when you're ready to look at the Pokemon you caught.

e: Thinking about it, whatever you read from the Kotaku guy probably meant he used the incense item where Pokemon will spawn directly on you every other minute or so (for the 30 minute duration of the item) without having to walk anywhere to find Pokemon. You still have to tap the Pokemon when it spawns on you, enter the catching phase, and throw your Pokeballs at them to attempt to capture them. If earning Pokecoins is as scarce as it is now, you'll probably never be able to use incense other than the ones you get for free from leveling up. Or you can spend real money for Pokecoins.

Rafza posted:

Has anyone evolved eevee yet? I'm a few captures away but I'm wondering how it works; do you choose the evolution? Does it match your team color automatically?

I never caught enough during the beta period to evolve an Eevee but if the game is like anything it was, you'll eventually find Vaporeons or Flareons that way outlevel what you can do on your own evolving. I'm talking I caught a 1300+ CP Vaporeon off the road, but going by the CP balance they have now, the number will most likely be lower.

Willsun fucked around with this message at 09:09 on Jul 7, 2016

Agoat
Dec 4, 2012

I AM BAD AT GAMES
Lipstick Apathy
Am I the only one that feels like this game is missing a bunch of content? It's super fun but why aren't there any social features? Are they adding new stuff down the road or what?

Willsun
Dec 9, 2006

Wait until people start having strong enough Pokemon to fight. I only had it happen once during beta, but someone was helping me take down a gym's Pokemon and your guys' Pokemon are lined up in that ring circling the gym Pokemon. I hope they make the dodging aspect of battle work though, because it seemed like no matter how often I swiped to dodge an enemy attack, I get hit anyway and it was taking time away from attacking.

Also if their commercials from last year have anything to say, there will be events that will try to get people to flock to the same point.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Agoat posted:

Am I the only one that feels like this game is missing a bunch of content? It's super fun but why aren't there any social features? Are they adding new stuff down the road or what?

The game does seem remarkably empty for having been announced almost 1 year ago and presumably having been in the works for at least a little while before that, and being a reskin of Ingress besides.

Willsun
Dec 9, 2006

I forgot to mention point being that gang wars are the endgame to Pokemon Go and it's really addicting to lord over your territory, help boost a fellow teammate's gym, and take over enemy gyms and install your own buff Pokemon to challenge them to take it back. This takes a while to come because everyone's Pokemon are babies right now and suck. Just concentrate on leveling up and evolving for now.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
man i was hoping to wake up in the morning and go take this gym nearby me but someone decided to actually make the trek out there during 3 am

Willsun
Dec 9, 2006

I'm going to be equally pissed for the same reason tomorrow because the server crash happened as I was going around installing myself as the first one in empty gyms around my town. A lot of gym locations strangely changed from where they were during the beta though, and only half of them seem logical because they were probably in areas that weren't frequented much.

Invenerable
Aug 7, 2005

YOU CAN BE A BIG PIG, TOO!

I grabbed a Charmander for my starter, then a Duduo and Ekans without getting out of my chair. Thanks, semi-big city downtown apartment life! (Also I think our ridiculously overzealous Ingress community probably helped with alllllll these Pokestops on my map.) Will go walkabout tomorrow and see what springs out of the tall grass. :D

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
If I can reach level five soon (already level three, halfway to four, despite my issues with Pokemon finding), I think tomorrow/later today I'll take a ride into town and see if I can claim some gyms before other people get them. Hopefully they aren't all claimed already; it's a small town but I figure there must be some other people who will have this, between Pokemon's popularity and there apparently being some local Ingress players. My being out of town will probably hinder my ability to keep a hold on any gym I happen to get, too. We'll see, I guess.

Dely Apple
Apr 22, 2006

Sing me Spanish Techno

I was in the mega tycoon car wash drifting along on N and an Arcanine showed up in the undercoat section. Thanks Mr. Suds!

Invenerable
Aug 7, 2005

YOU CAN BE A BIG PIG, TOO!

Based on my map, it looks like Blue has claimed the local Rainbow Tunnel gym. Yellow has claimed what appears to be a Taco Bell. The Children's Hospital remains unclaimed.

...I'm going to have to order a backup phone battery, aren't I?

Agoat
Dec 4, 2012

I AM BAD AT GAMES
Lipstick Apathy

~Coxy posted:

The game does seem remarkably empty for having been announced almost 1 year ago and presumably having been in the works for at least a little while before that, and being a reskin of Ingress besides.

I guess making all those Pokemon took a while. Still, a friends list or something would have been really cool. I want to see how my friends are progressing.

Willsun posted:

I forgot to mention point being that gang wars are the endgame to Pokemon Go and it's really addicting to lord over your territory, help boost a fellow teammate's gym, and take over enemy gyms and install your own buff Pokemon to challenge them to take it back. This takes a while to come because everyone's Pokemon are babies right now and suck. Just concentrate on leveling up and evolving for now.

I'm excited to get my friends together to hold down Winter Haven but the game does feel kinda empty. I'm excited that other people are playing locally though.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?
Kinda sucks that living in a rural area or exurb really limits what you can do. I'll only be able to find anything during infrequent trips to civilization.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
another dumb question, are resources shared between players? So if a pokemon appears does that only appear for your instance or do you compete with other players to get it first?

antisocial86
Dec 8, 2003
yes sirs
I'm assuming there isn't a reason to keep a bunch of the same pokemon, I've just been keeping one of each and throwing out everything except the highest levels for candy. Am I doing it right?

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

Agoat posted:

Still, a friends list or something would have been really cool. I want to see how my friends are progressing.

Well, it pulls your Contacts so I assume a friends list is at least in the works.

Paingod556
Nov 8, 2011

Not a problem, sir

antisocial86 posted:

I'm assuming there isn't a reason to keep a bunch of the same pokemon, I've just been keeping one of each and throwing out everything except the highest levels for candy. Am I doing it right?

I'm still digging into what you actually do, due to work and living in the urban sprawl well away from the bulk of pokemon drops and gyms, but-

To level up (boost) your mons, and eventually evolve them, you need Candy. This is specific to each mon, so if you want to boost a Zubat, you need Zubat candy. To evolve it to Golbat, you need a bunch of candy. You get some from catching, but you then get more if you return a captured mon to the Professor.

So yes, catch a ton of the Pokemon you like, return all but the most powerful, and you'll eventually be able to super boost and evolve that remainder. Otherwise, just nab one to round out your Pokedex

Agoat
Dec 4, 2012

I AM BAD AT GAMES
Lipstick Apathy
I'm power leveling a Pidgeotto for early gyms!

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

Neeksy posted:

Kinda sucks that living in a rural area or exurb really limits what you can do. I'll only be able to find anything during infrequent trips to civilization.

Agreed, I can pull the game up at home and see a single pokestop a good fifteen minute walk away. there's more stuff at where I work, which is practically the middle nowhere relatively speaking, but it's the center of that town too soooo...

Gonna have to check out downtown and the beach at some point.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

There's a pokestop right near our front lobby, and my supervisor has just been getting pokeballs and XP all night. It's kinda sick.

Agoat
Dec 4, 2012

I AM BAD AT GAMES
Lipstick Apathy
There's a Pokestop at Firehouse Subs here. That owns.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?
So what do the little footprint indicators mean on the "nearby" page? What does clicking on one of them do, if anything? Trying to figure out what direction to walk has no real hot/cold indication either.

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

Willsun posted:

I'm not sure where people are getting the notion you can capture Pokemon without doing any manual inputs. The answer is you can't.

i never said that?

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Jonas Albrecht posted:

There's a pokestop right near our front lobby, and my supervisor has just been getting pokeballs and XP all night. It's kinda sick.

in relation to my last question, are the pokestop resources shared amongst players as well or instanced?

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Ingress already has a working chat, so there's little reason why this game couldn't have one if they wanted one. Speculation is that it's left out intentionally because little kids will want to play this.

I suspect we'll eventually get in-person trading, but not chat.

You can, however, taunt people by renaming your pokemon when you put them in a gym after knocking the old gym down. :D

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice

Bobulus posted:

Ingress already has a working chat, so there's little reason why this game couldn't have one if they wanted one. Speculation is that it's left out intentionally because little kids will want to play this.

I suspect we'll eventually get in-person trading, but not chat.

You can, however, taunt people by renaming your pokemon when you put them in a gym after knocking the old gym down. :D
I suspect the most they'll ever do is pre-selected phrases like in Hearthstone, maybe emoticons of Pokemon doing actions. No way they do real chat, user-made images or some FF14-style word-selector.

I live in the north England equivalent of the suburbs, hopefully when I take a trip into town it's got some real stuff in it.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

How does the game count walking for incubators? Do you have to have the game open the whole time?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Pierson posted:

I suspect the most they'll ever do is pre-selected phrases like in Hearthstone, maybe emoticons of Pokemon doing actions. No way they do real chat, user-made images or some FF14-style word-selector.

I live in the north England equivalent of the suburbs, hopefully when I take a trip into town it's got some real stuff in it.

Or dark souls style.

Try Tongue But Hole

Eat it non civilization havers

HelloWinter
May 27, 2012

"Hey, Nagito, what'cha
thinkin' about?"

"Oh, y'know. Murder stuff."
I went for a 2 hour walk this morning with this app in tow (1 hour longer than the usual). Great motivator to exercise!!

I've realized that maybe as your level grows, the variety of pokemon you encounter might change as well. But that's just a hunch. I remember walking yesterday morning and could not find close to what I've found today (Hitmonchan, Tauros, Vaporeon, 2 Eevees...). It's also very probable that the higher your level is, the higher CP you can meet with in the wild, which makes for great catches.

Aithon
Jan 3, 2014

Every puzzle has an answer.
Ingress's social features, aside from the chat, were mostly local Google+ groups for the green/blue factions. I don't actively play any more, but I still get tons of invites for farming items in my city.

I guess it'll take a while for Pokemon Go to approach having such a community. They can start working on that here as soon as it releases in Europe. :argh:

SynthOrange posted:

Or dark souls style.

Try Tongue But Hole

Relevant to this, check out the app "Soapstone". It lets you read and write Dark Souls-style messages wherever you are GPS-wise. It's a good match if you're already out ingressing or pokemon-going. It also has dictionaries from all the Souls games plus Bloodborne. It's out for Android, I don't know about iOS.

I may have left a "bless us with blood" message when I went out to a hospital to donate, well, blood.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

SynthOrange posted:

How does the game count walking for incubators? Do you have to have the game open the whole time?

Game open, and at a walking speed. Car speeds are deliberately excluded.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

gently caress.

Wonder if it'll take cycling speeds?

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Oh my god this is the best. All my Ingress training has been for this moment

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Hrist posted:

How is anyone even finding pokemon? I was so excited because it showed Eevee is near me first thing. And also 7 others, but that's not as important. I went 10 miles and can't find a single one. There's a ton of landmarks that aren't even registered to give anything. And that sucks because there's one spot where there's 5 landmarks within a few minutes walking distance of each other. One store near me has 2 landmarks attached to it. I'm so jealous of anyone that can actually use this thing.

Do you live in a rural area?

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Pakled posted:

From my own anecdotal experience, it seems like gyms are more significant local landmarks and Pokestops are more minor landmarks. I dunno if it's just luck it ended up that way in my area or if they used some fancy Google data to determine what portals are the more significant.

What do you think quantifies a "significant local landmark?" I live in the middle of nowhere and I'm trying to figure out where I should try biking to figure out where the local gyms would be. Would it be something official, like a post office or a courthouse, or should I bust out the big guns and try Walmart?

SynthOrange posted:

Eat it non civilization havers

Genuinely upset. If I zoom all the way out I can see a single item stop and I need to decide whether or not I wanna take a visit to a graveyard to get the sick drops

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elerion
May 31, 2011
I'm unreasonably upset that this isn't available in Europe yet. There's no way to get it on an iPhone here now, right?

• Locked thread