Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Hi, I played this a bunch in the closed beta, and hopefully can answer some questions. I'm kind of a casual player, though, so I imagine you'll all quickly pass me. Team Yellow!

My #1 recommendation for people playing is to go into options and turn on 'Battery Saver'. After you turn it on, turning your phone upside down turns the screen black (save power by not rendering the gui), but the game keeps running. It will vibrate if you're next to a pokemon, so you can walk around with your phone in your hand, inverted, and save on battery. My general experience without battery saver is that I can walk around for an hour and this will kill about 2/3 of my phone battery.

Ciaphas posted:

Do you suppose bicycling works to hatch eggs or would that be too fast like driving?

I'm not sure about biking, but driving is out. Either to be fair to the kids playing or to discourage people from playing a cellphone game while driving, movement over a certain speed (I think roughly ~15 mph?) doesn't count towards egg hatching.

Agoat posted:

All of my local Pokestops are empty and apparently I can load modules into them? What's that all about?

Pokestops and gyms are different. Pokestops are never 'full' or 'empty'. You tap on it, then swipe to the side to 'spin' the circle in the middle, which gives you items. Modules are limited use items that give bonuses to the Pokestop. Currently the only module is one that makes pokemon spawn around the pokestop for, I think, 15 minutes. Useful if you're stuck in one place for a while, and happen to be next to a pokestop.

kittiesgomeow posted:

Does the app need to be just running or does the phone screen need to be unlocked/on to get pokemon? I'm going to feel really stupid if I have to look at my phone screen all the time.

App needs to be running and phone has to be unlocked for game to function. Like mentioned above, you can use battery saver, but personally I've had very limited luck with an unlocked phone in my pocket (way too easy to hit the home key), so I just carry my phone in my hand. Not optimal, I know.

No word yet on if buying the dongle will change this.

Bobulus fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Jul 7, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Rafza posted:

the Module lasts for 30 minutes now

my first 2.0km egg hatched into pidgey, rip

Do eggs still give you lots of candy? Evolve a bunch of pidgeys and get that sweet evolution xp.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Nth Doctor posted:

How does the "nearby" widget work?

Click on it. Sort order is closest to farthest.

3 tracks - pretty far away
2 tracks - closer
1 track - start looking around for rustling grass
0 tracks - you're practically standing on it

In the beta, they started showing up when you were within 200m of them, but now that it doesn't show numbers, I'm not sure if that's changed. If you click on one particular pokemon, the widget will switch to showing just them. By observing how the order of nearby pokemon changes as you move around, you can play a hot/cold game and track down the one you want. Do not run out into traffic to get the eevee.

Bean posted:

The game is telling me to find a pokestop, and the closest one is a church that is JUST out of range of my house. I'd usually have no problem just walking over there and getting pokeshit, but it's 9 PM and I'm in my PJs.

Am I locked out of catching wild pokemon until I roll over there? Because that sucks if true.

Also, will the app send me a push if a pokemon rolls around, or do I need to keep it open? There's no pokemon in my house right NOW, but who knows what will happen in the night.

No push notifications. Gotta have the app open to catch.

If you have more money than sense, you can pay to get incense that makes a pokemon show up every five-ish minutes for thirty minutes. You also get a few of these as level up bonuses.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

MisterBibs posted:

There's no way to start over / pick a different starter Pokemon in Pokemon Go? I figured the first three were a tutorial, I don't want a Squirtle. :(

No way to start over, afaik. However, walking around for a couple hours today, I caught the two other starters. (and saw an Ivysaur, but it got away)

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

foolish_fool posted:

Is there a cap on CP? Highest I've seen is just past 800 but the game has only been out a day.

They changed a bunch of numbers between the beta and the release today, but... Basically, every pokemon has a CP range, between 1 and the cap. The cap will vary from pokemon species to pokemon species (in general, more evolved pokemon have higher caps), and also the cap goes up every time your player level goes up.

When you're capturing pokemon, their CP will be a random number between 1 and the cap. So the higher your level, the higher the CP of the pokemon you can see. We don't know if there's a max player-level in the game. If there isn't, there isn't a max CP, either.

Again, they changed numbers around, but in the beta we saw pokemon with CP as high as like 4000 after about a month of play. I was a more casual player, here's what I had at beta end:

(The first...five I think are CP capped for my level. So Arcanine has a higher cp cap than Pidgeot, for example.)

Bobulus fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Jul 7, 2016

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Nth Doctor posted:

Is rustling grass the bursts of leaves on the map? I walked on top of quite a few of those without luck.

Yeah, that wasn't in the beta, so I'm still learning the details, but it seems like those spots are more likely to have pokemon in them, but not guaranteed.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Super No Vacancy posted:

i found a gym but you gotta be level 5 smh. how do you get eggs for hatching

Eggs drop from PokeStops. You can have up to 9 in your inventory. You can see them by swiping right from the Pokemon inventory. Each egg displays how far you have to walk to hatch it. (2km, 5km, 10km are the ones I've seen.). Hatching an egg gets you a pokemon and some Candy for that pokemon. In general, higher distance eggs give you better rewards: rarer pokemon, more candy.

Oh, and you have to put the egg in an incubator before it'll start counting distance. You get one for free (unlimited use) and can by more in the store (3 uses each) if you want to hatch multiple eggs at once.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

I think the 'Pokeball sits there forever' thing happens if you lose data at a critical moment.

There's a similar thing where if you lose GPS during a gym fight, the fight will freeze (or sometimes the enemy will be unkillable) and after you restart the app, the game will treat it like the fight never happened. I think this is intended to prevent you from doing drive-by gym attacks.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

For people who want to find Pokestops... they basically took the Ingress Portals, removed a certain percentage of them, removed the 'dangerous' ones, and made the rest into Pokestops and gyms. If you've got an ingress login, you can search an address and see the portal locations:

https://www.ingress.com/intel

You're not guaranteed to have a Pokestop there, but you've got a decent chance.

CuwiKhons posted:

So this UI isn't very clear - sometimes when its listing nearby pokemon it shows two little footprints and sometimes it shows three - which is closer? I'm hoping three means somewhere nearby but I haven't found anything in my house yet.

Fewer footsteps are closer.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

MechaSeinfeld posted:

So uh, no ghost types anywhere huh?

Strictly anecdotal, but I've mostly seen ghost types at night. Same with the bats.

CuwiKhons posted:

drat. Do you know roughly how far away the distance is? Like, if it's 3 footsteps is that within a block versus 2 footsteps being within half a block or something?

I'm going to pull some numbers out of my rear end here. Don't take them as gospel.

In the beta, pokemon started appearing on your tracker at around 200m. So I'd say anything with 3 footsteps could be as far as 200m away. Pokemon don't seem to appear on your map until you're within catching range, which, in the beta, was about 20-ish meters. So let's call 0 tracks as 20m. Then let's arbitrarily assign some intermediate values.

0 tracks - ~20m
1 track - ~50m
2 tracks - ~100m
3 tracks - ~200m

Lame Devil posted:

Does weight and size affect CP cap? Should I wait to spend orbs on a big Pokemon?

Afaik, weight and size are strictly cosmetic. Spend your orbs on your highest CP pokemon, because they'll be closer to the cap and thus will take less effort to get to the cap.

I mean, move set is also a consideration. Type and power and such.

Bobulus fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Jul 7, 2016

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Bongo Bill posted:

Okay, so, more CP = more better, right?

Yeah, basically. I have no idea how the actual behind the scenes math works, but apparently there are hidden speed and strength stats. Basically CP works like a multiplier. Simple example: cp50 rat vs cp 100 rat vs cp 100 clefairy

CP 50 rat:
50 * .5 = 25 HP
50 * 1.0 = 50 speed
50 * .2 = 10 strength

CP 100 rat:
100 * .5 = 50 HP
100 * 1.0 = 100 speed
100 * .2 = 20 strength

CP 100 clefairy:
100 * 1.0 = 100 HP
100 * .1 = 10 speed
100 * .3 = 30 strength

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Pakled posted:

Is it better to power up a Pokemon before you evolve it, or evolve it and then power it up?

The higher the CP, the higher the cost to raise it. Evolving is always a set cost, and seems to apply a set multiplier when the pokemon evolves. So hypothetically, leveling then evolving would be cheaper.

But either way, once your player level goes up, the cap on the pokemon's CP will go up, so in the long-term, it probably doesn't matter much.

edit: and evolving gets you lots of xp which gets your player level up faster, so if you can only do one or the other today, go with evolving.

Lame Devil posted:

When I was fighting I was only using one move. How do I use my otter attack? Is there somewhere I can read all this info?

You tap to do your quick move, and press-and-hold to do your power move. You have to fill up the bar before you can do a power move. Think of it like a FF7 limit break, I guess.

Also, you can 'dodge' your opponent's moves by swiping left or right, but it's pretty tricky to do, in my experience.

Bobulus fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Jul 7, 2016

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Funny story with transferring: in beta, it was called releasing the pokemon back into the wild. But at that stage of the beta, there was no way to raise the cp of a pokemon. People were throwing pokemon at enemy gyms and then, rather than healing them, just releasing them and getting a new, better one. Testers argued this seemed rather callous, almost Team Rocket-y.

So now Professor Willow gets the thousands of rats no one wants.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Ingress already has a working chat, so there's little reason why this game couldn't have one if they wanted one. Speculation is that it's left out intentionally because little kids will want to play this.

I suspect we'll eventually get in-person trading, but not chat.

You can, however, taunt people by renaming your pokemon when you put them in a gym after knocking the old gym down. :D

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

SynthOrange posted:

How does the game count walking for incubators? Do you have to have the game open the whole time?

Game open, and at a walking speed. Car speeds are deliberately excluded.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Fuckkkkk. I went Team Yellow. Captured some six-ish gyms walking around the local college campus yesterday. Woke up today to find a team of four Blues had grabbed them all and leveled them up.

I'm never going to see another team yellow member in town, am I?

fadam posted:

I went on a walk for an hour yesterday, hit like six different pokestops, but didn't find a single wild pokemon. Is this normal?

They don't have to be near pokestops. Check the tracking, see if you're just walking in areas without them.

Bobulus fucked around with this message at 13:35 on Jul 7, 2016

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Since there's no ingame notification when your gym is knocked over, I think what I'm going to do is name the pokemon with the name of the gym I deploy it at, then check the potion screen to see which of my Pokes are not at full health (because when they get knocked out of a gym, they return to you with 1hp).

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

A small part of the beta process was the ability to point out pokestops in unsafe locations. On top of railroad tracks and such. Places that still have stops in military bases and stuff probably did not have players in their area.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Petr posted:

Literally every stop near me except one is a church. And that one is inaccessible.

Many of the original Ingress spots were populated from google data. A large percentage of the post offices, city halls, and fire houses in the country are in there, for example. And, yes, churches. Beyond that relies on player participation, usually.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

m.hache posted:

So if I find a blue gym, I can drop another pokemon there to buff it up right? (assuming I'm blue)

Gyms start out level 2. I think that means they can have up to two pokemon in them. (Limit one per player). Then to put more in after that, you have to raise the level of the gym. You can raise the level of your side's gyms by "training" there, which involves picking similar-CP pokemon and winning. This rewards prestige, which levels up the gym. Using higher-cp gives less prestige.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

pixaal posted:

So the pin / wrist band $35 addon. Is it GPS+4G or does it pair with your phone over blue tooth and still eat your battery?

If it was 4G, you'd have to get a dataplan for it. So while no one knows for sure, I'm guessing it's bluetooth.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Zakutambah posted:

I'm curious to see what the Pokemark situation will be once I leave work... I live a bit out in the sticks, and I didn't live here at all when Ingress was a thing.

I want this stat broken into kills by people walking into\off things, and kills from the inevitable clashes of spergs fighting over a kids game.

Don't forget people mugged for their high-end phones who walked down dark alleys at 1am.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Pakled posted:

From what I understand, the best ones to level up are ones that are big ones, that is, ones that have "XL" bubbles above both their height and weight. From testing, people are saying that the height/weight have functions similar to IVs in the main games.

Did this change from beta? I thought the height/weight was purely cosmetic.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

GlitchThief posted:

I think until some actual numbers are shown, it's safe to assume claims that the weight matters are speculative bs.

Since moves will change seemingly randomly when your evolve your pokemon, so I've been figuring out which unvolved pokes to keep purely on whichever had the highest CP for its species.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Doorselfin posted:

So... are people releasing Poke Balls when the circle gets big or when it gets small?

Is there any empirical evidence to suggest which is the best way?

This is seriously one of the worst-explained mechanics in the game. I never would have figured it out. The way to get a 'nice!' or a 'great!' is to have your pokeball land inside the circle. This is harder to do than you'd think, because often the edge of the pokemon's hitbox is outside the circle. You basically need to have it land a little closer to you so it hits them square in the face. I've also gotten Nice! when the pokemon jumped just as I threw, so their face was higher and easier to hit. I think the difference between 'Nice!' and 'Great!' is the size of the circle (and hence the difficulty), but I'm not sure how tested that is.

Oh, and speaking of badly explained mechanics....

Reddit posted:

Since people act real surprised when I tell them this in the comments, I suppose this isn't something that is widely known.

Whenever you tap the nearby bar and tap on a pokemon you want to find, he/she/it will occupy the lower right 'nearby bar'.

Then whenever you walk into the direction of that pokemon, the bar will blink.

Keep doing this until there are no more footsteps and the pokemon should spawn.

:vince:

That'll make finding the rare ones easier.

Bobulus fucked around with this message at 12:44 on Jul 8, 2016

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Admiral Joeslop posted:

I installed that Google Survey Rewards thing yesterday and haven't gotten anything but two free surveys that reward nothing. How often do they actually pop and what's the average payout you get?

I am new to this, too. I think the two free surveys are the tutorial ones, right? I got one last night that had two questions and gave twenty-five cents.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Bottom Liner posted:

Try catching a red one in the "far" distance with no berries. The balls flail everywhere no matter how accurately you throw, the pokemon does a juke frequently which will whiff your throw, and they break out of the balls at a high percentage even when you land it. And that's even counting the bonuses you get for "nice" "great" and "excellent" throws.

I thought you gave up? Anyway, here's all the ways you're wrong:

- Ball veering can be avoiding by curving the ball intentionally.
- Pokemon juking can be mitigated with berry feeding. If you don't have berries, wait for it to juke and then throw.
- If it's a red pokemon, yes, it will tend to break out of the ball easier. But that's why you get to a higher level and A) that pokemon will be less red then and B) you'll get access to better balls.
- Golbat and Pidgeot are both very far away from the camera and thus slightly harder to hit. You can solve this by switching AR and pointed up farther at the sky so the pokemon is at the bottom of your screen. Now you're "aiming" higher, so the ball takes a different arc and can land easier.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Eh, sorry I went off on you, Bottom Liner. I'm grouchy because I had a lovely day. I'm not talking about trying to utilize the natural curve of the pokeball. I'm talking about inducing a large curve via ball spinning, and then throwing it to the side so it curves back to the center. This is hard to describe, so here's a youtube video.

You also get a small xp bonus for doing this, so I basically do it on every single pokemon I can. (except rattatas, who are too close to accurately curveball, in my experience.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JYt5dlEXWso&t=62s

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Broken Cog posted:

Servers back up, seems you start getting Great Balls on level 12.

Third level potions are at level 15.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Camel Camus posted:

Is there a way to heal up your pokes besides potions?

I think evolving them will heal them. But, yeah, mostly potions. You can unlock better potions at higher levels, so it isn't so bad.

ZenVulgarity posted:

This game seems like it will get people killed

I genuinely worry that some non-white person is going to do the things that I do in this game (carry a rectangular black thing in your hand, walk in weird patterns, etc) and get shot for it. :(

Bobulus fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Jul 9, 2016

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

darkwolf220 posted:

Have the legendary birds/mew/mew two been confirmed? Like, has anyone caught them, or are they just possible in theory?

They said at the E3 conference, if I'm recalling correctly, that much like trading, 'event' pokemon is something not yet in, but that they are looking forward to adding. They also said they wanted to do a tie-in with Sun and Moon when those come out. Didn't say how.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

I want to know these people capable of putting an unlocked phone in their pocket without a billion screenbuttons being pressed as you walk around. Do you have special non-conductive pockets or something?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

The good news, Chewbot, is that once you hit lv20, leveling majorly slows down. So in a few weeks, anyone playing even moderately will catch up, and everyone will be on mostly equal footing. Other than the wailords, but that's every mobile game.

• Locked thread