Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
foolish_fool
Jul 22, 2010
Is there a cap on CP? Highest I've seen is just past 800 but the game has only been out a day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

foolish_fool
Jul 22, 2010

Bobulus posted:

They changed a bunch of numbers between the beta and the release today, but... Basically, every pokemon has a CP range, between 1 and the cap. The cap will vary from pokemon species to pokemon species (in general, more evolved pokemon have higher caps), and also the cap goes up every time your player level goes up.

When you're capturing pokemon, their CP will be a random number between 1 and the cap. So the higher your level, the higher the CP of the pokemon you can see. We don't know if there's a max player-level in the game. If there isn't, there isn't a max CP, either.

Again, they changed numbers around, but in the beta we saw pokemon with CP as high as like 4000 after about a month of play. I was a more casual player, here's what I had at beta end:

(The first...five I think are CP capped for my level. So Arcanine has a higher cp cap than Pidgeot, for example.)

This is great. Thanks!

foolish_fool
Jul 22, 2010
Some guy is level 17 already and there are a bunch more seemingly around 14. That is a lot of Pokémon caught in 3 days...

I imagine living or working on top of a bunch of spawns helps a lot.

foolish_fool
Jul 22, 2010
It feels like the whole city is playing this game. Within the space of maybe two blocks there were 5 pokestops with lures active just now. A gym changed hands and within minutes its full of powerful Pokemon. It's crazy.

foolish_fool
Jul 22, 2010
I thought incense just summons a Pokemon on your location every 5 minutes (give or take 20 seconds)? Or at least that is how it has worked for me.

foolish_fool
Jul 22, 2010
Pink confetti means that someone has used that lure item on the pokestop. And as such there will be a whole lot of pokemon there.

foolish_fool
Jul 22, 2010

squidgee posted:

I guess this gym is locked down for a while. :staredog:

I put a 1200cp pokemon in a gym in my super quiet suburb on the way home. It'd already been defeated by the time I got home...

foolish_fool
Jul 22, 2010

IncendiaC posted:

Also, at what point do y'all start finding 'mons in the mid-hundreds? I haven't played too much due to the servers (level 7 atm) but my highest 'mon is only a CP260 Golbat from evolving, and the gyms I'm seeing are all at the 500-600s. Does it scale with player level or something?

At level 14 today it felt like the things I was catching were starting to get beefy. I caught maybe 6 growlithes and 4 ryhorn all above 400cp, a 740cp arcanine, and a handful of misc stuff in the 500-600ish range. And its pretty easy to turn a 220cp zubat into a 600cp crobat (similarly mankey, ekans, etc. that are everywhere by the dozen).

foolish_fool
Jul 22, 2010
The game in general seems super grindy which maybe limits the long term appeal for most people. And gyms seem heavily weighted towards frequent team changes unless you've got a bunch of coordinated people taking and levelling them. So maybe it'll devolve into cartels taking over whole cities as they over level the masses, or just stay in the current flux-like state.

foolish_fool
Jul 22, 2010
If you are above the cap you don't get items from pokestops. So you probably want to dump some revives or poo poo potions so you can get more berries/great balls.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

foolish_fool
Jul 22, 2010
Pinsir can spawn with pretty high cp in the wild since they don't evolve. This may or may not be useful depending on how hardcore you can otherwise be.

• Locked thread