Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Enfield
May 30, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
ith ok guyth my tongue ith too big

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

you know what they say about big tongues

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

satanic splash-back posted:

you know what they say about big tongues

they have trouble talking?

Enfield
May 30, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
youd think having a big tognue wasva blessing but no, it is a terrible curse

Enfield
May 30, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
sorry

HappyKitty
Jul 11, 2005

I have it, but then I'm fat, so par for the course

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

condolences for your big tongue

Carmant
Nov 23, 2015

Treadmill? What's that? Is that some kind of cake?

Uncle at Nintendo posted:

I am like the OP. Not fat and have sleep apnea. I am 6'4" and 185 lbs and have sleep apnea, but it is because I simply have a wide-rear end tongue.

If your tongue is too wide for your mouth, you might have a scalloped tongue which is a clear sign of it. It looks like this:

Mine isn't as bad as that, but you get the idea. Basically if you see teeth marks on your tongue there is a good chance you have a mild form of sleep apnea. No, your tongue does not get bigger or smaller as you gain or lose weight. My coworker had baby that had sleep apnea and it was from her tongue.

Luckily there is a great alternative to CPAPs:

It is known as several things: a Mandibular Adjustment Device, a TAP device, etc.

It works just as well as a CPAP for most people. Unfortunately a lot of insurance companies won't cover it and it's about $5,000 USD for one. But it sure beats the piss out of carrying a machine around with you when you go on vacation.

Oh and almost no doctor or oral surgeon on the planet will do the surgery to make your tongue more narrow; supposedly it's ridiculously painful, has an absurd recovery time, and can actually gently caress with your tastebuds.

Though in most situations obesity is to blame, I have to say I can vouch that it isn't always the case. I have a friend who is jacked as hell and he has it as well. He's not even a "fat" jacked, he is closer to MMA fighter jacked so I don't even think his weightlifting contributed to it.

edit: it is way more common that it is related to weight, though. One story I have is I am close friends with someone who knew Big Pun (the rapper) very well. He said Pun would literally fall asleep mid conversation with you, and this would happen numerous times throughout the conversation; even if he was the one talking. Everyone used to laugh about it and joke with him about it but obviously nobody knew it would be what killed him shortly after.

Is your tongue too big, or is your mouth too small?

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Carmant posted:

Is your tongue too big, or is your mouth too small?

My tongue is just too big (wide); my jaw/mouth is normal. Though my doctor said people with "crowded teeth" (on the lower set of teeth) can have it too (it is usually a sign of a small mouth).

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax
guys to avoid snoring just 'trach' yourself and stick a tube directly down your throat problem solved

I know at least 2 nurses and 1 almost-doctor so I am 100% sure this is a good idea

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

My tongue is just too big (wide); my jaw/mouth is normal. Though my doctor said people with "crowded teeth" (on the lower set of teeth) can have it too (it is usually a sign of a small mouth).

my quack dentist gave me two big front teeth when I was 15. I only have one big tooth now

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

my quack dentist gave me two big front teeth when I was 15. I only have one big tooth now

He got to charge your insurance twice as much that way

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?
I'm pretty sure my bf has it but since he's chosen to do nothing about it or his snoring he's not coming with me when I move out at the end of the month. NEVER AGAIN

Carmant
Nov 23, 2015

WanderingMinstrel I posted:

I'm pretty sure my bf has it but since he's chosen to do nothing about it or his snoring he's not coming with me when I move out at the end of the month. NEVER AGAIN

PM me in a month

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

He got to charge your insurance twice as much that way

I don't like him very much

ferroque
Oct 27, 2007

I am like the OP. Not fat and have sleep apnea. I am 6'4" and 185 lbs and have sleep apnea, but it is because I simply have a wide-rear end tongue.

If your tongue is too wide for your mouth, you might have a scalloped tongue which is a clear sign of it. It looks like this:

Mine isn't as bad as that, but you get the idea. Basically if you see teeth marks on your tongue there is a good chance you have a mild form of sleep apnea. No, your tongue does not get bigger or smaller as you gain or lose weight. My coworker had baby that had sleep apnea and it was from her tongue.

Luckily there is a great alternative to CPAPs:

It is known as several things: a Mandibular Adjustment Device, a TAP device, etc.

It works just as well as a CPAP for most people. Unfortunately a lot of insurance companies won't cover it and it's about $5,000 USD for one. But it sure beats the piss out of carrying a machine around with you when you go on vacation.

Oh and almost no doctor or oral surgeon on the planet will do the surgery to make your tongue more narrow; supposedly it's ridiculously painful, has an absurd recovery time, and can actually gently caress with your tastebuds.

Though in most situations obesity is to blame, I have to say I can vouch that it isn't always the case. I have a friend who is jacked as hell and he has it as well. He's not even a "fat" jacked, he is closer to MMA fighter jacked so I don't even think his weightlifting contributed to it.

edit: it is way more common that it is related to weight, though. One story I have is I am close friends with someone who knew Big Pun (the rapper) very well. He said Pun would literally fall asleep mid conversation with you, and this would happen numerous times throughout the conversation; even if he was the one talking. Everyone used to laugh about it and joke with him about it but obviously nobody knew it would be what killed him shortly after.

Holy poo poo this is exactly me. The sides of my tongue are constantly cut up. Case closed

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Ferroque posted:

Holy poo poo this is exactly me. The sides of my tongue are constantly cut up. Case closed

Glad I could help. It took me a long time to figure out wtf was going on and why I was tired all the time so if I can save someone that aggravation, it's cool to me.

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

I don't like him very much

My dad once got ripped off by our family dentist who ripped off a ton of people in NY before he moved to Florida. My dad actually tracked him down and the guy sent my dad a check in the mail lol

This was in the 80s before the internet so the dentist was bugged the gently caress out

Anyway the point of my story is we were 100% convinced that he used to bullshit and say we had cavities when we didn't. I would imagine fraud was way easier back in the 80s when nothing was digital.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Glad I could help. It took me a long time to figure out wtf was going on and why I was tired all the time so if I can save someone that aggravation, it's cool to me.

My dad once got ripped off by our family dentist who ripped off a ton of people in NY before he moved to Florida. My dad actually tracked him down and the guy sent my dad a check in the mail lol

This was in the 80s before the internet so the dentist was bugged the gently caress out

Anyway the point of my story is we were 100% convinced that he used to bullshit and say we had cavities when we didn't. I would imagine fraud was way easier back in the 80s when nothing was digital.

that is cool and all, but it doesn't help me with my retarded tooth

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Carmant posted:

PM me in a month

Do you snore? You have to tell me if you do, its the law.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

that is cool and all, but it doesn't help me with my retarded tooth

Was your dentist on Ocean Pkwy in Brooklyn NY? If so, I can help.

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
:vapes:
Switchblade Switcharoo

Ferroque posted:

so I have an apnea. what now

it's time for you to get you one of these

that's called a cpap machine and it forces air thru ur lovely body forcibly

do i have to look like bane

apparently there is a surgery that corrects your mouth and nasal cavity but nobody does it

should i just kill myself

yes

So.... This is what a sexy goofy looks like...

Enfield
May 30, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
he who controls the spice controls the breatheing passages

Tricky D
Apr 1, 2005

I love um!
We already live in the cyberpunk distopic future, only we get augmentations keep the fat from crushing our lungs while we sleep instead of cybernetic limbs and data jacks in our brain.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Enfield posted:

he who controls the spice controls the breatheing passages

I shall not snore, snore is the mind killer by method of oxygen deprivation

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

I have this. Scalloped tongue and apparently humongous tonsils. My grandfather had this as well. Guy was 5'10 and barely 100 lbs. Worst snore I've ever heard. Got a cpap machine. It's pretty awesome and it doesn't bother me in the least. I've even taken it camping with an AC/DC inverter and a marine battery.

H.H
Oct 24, 2006

August is the Cruelest Month
can you hook up an air mask to a weed vaporizer??

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
I knew a guy that had sleep apnea. He ended up diddling his kid. Christ man, you think you know a guy.

Tricky D
Apr 1, 2005

I love um!

H.H posted:

can you hook up an air mask to a weed vaporizer??

Nah man that poo poo is illegal

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.
Anyone get the actual surgery that fixes this poo poo? My apnea isn't nearly as bad as it once was because I've lost weight, but I still snore like a killdozer which makes having girlfriends sleep over incredibly embarrassing to the point where I'll just lay awake all night to avoid the embarrassment.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen
If you snore and you find yourself tired all the time even if you got 8 hours of sleep (but it only feels like 2) then get yourself tested, pronto.

Sleep apnea can be deadly in rare cases if untreated, and while a CPAP machine is female repellent, you'll feel so much drat better because you're actually able to breathe and have a full sleep cycle.

I was a walking zombie always about 15 seconds from sleep and it changed my life.

Prorat
Aug 3, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

-Blackadder- posted:

Anyone get the actual surgery that fixes this poo poo? My apnea isn't nearly as bad as it once was because I've lost weight, but I still snore like a killdozer which makes having girlfriends sleep over incredibly embarrassing to the point where I'll just lay awake all night to avoid the embarrassment.

You do know there is nothing embarrassing about snoring... A girlfriend doesn't give a gently caress.... Even a one night stand doesn't give a gently caress because they are there to gently caress.

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

Jesus just use the CPAP. If someone gives you poo poo for it they aren't worth it

Umbreon
May 21, 2011
I have insanely bad sleep apnea, how much would a decent cpap cost me? I want to make sure it's comfortable and will last a few years at least.

Cartouche
Jan 4, 2011

LadyAmbien posted:

My friend has to sleep with a giant air mask on so he won't die. Weeeeee!

I would prefer to die in my sleep. Why would you avoid that? :iiam:

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

borkborkborkmorkmorkmork-gabbalooins

EugeneJ posted:

This is important

I've never met a thin person with sleep apnea

My weed guy has it and is freakishly skinny. Never uses his cpap machine either, just has his girlfriend smoke extra weed before bed so his snoring doesn't wake her.

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe
Some of you responding with "I have apnea, but I'm not fat! I'm unhealthily skinny/alcoholic/my body parts don't fit into my body," you're still goony as gently caress

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax

Drunk Nerds posted:

Some of you responding with "I have apnea, but I'm not fat! I'm unhealthily skinny/alcoholic/my body parts don't fit into my body," you're still goony as gently caress

OK

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

Umbreon posted:

I have insanely bad sleep apnea, how much would a decent cpap cost me? I want to make sure it's comfortable and will last a few years at least.

Are you insured? Because othewise the machine goes into a couple thousand if you get it though a medical supply company. You could probably get one for about $500-800 on eBay if you're willing to pay out of pocket. But they last a while if you are really good about cleaning all your equipment. The headgear stretches out though and will need to be replaced about 3-4 times a year.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

EugeneJ posted:

This is important

I've never met a thin person with sleep apnea

They exist, you can have a big tongue or a weirdly shaped throat

Otherwise it's neck circumference that matters so it means either fat or super swole. Bodybuilders and football players havr a lot of problems witb sleep apnea tok

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carmant
Nov 23, 2015

WanderingMinstrel I posted:

Do you snore? You have to tell me if you do, its the law.

Never snored in my life :smug:

• Locked thread