Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!
When I used to be skinner and drink less I never had an issue. then I got fat from drinking more and I wake myself up all the time.

So I cut down on drinking and lost wight and now I don't snore as bad. The sleep apnea machine to me look the equivalent of wiping my rear end with a rag on a stick.

Yeah I know some people legit need it but 5"8 and 225llbs is now way to go through life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ferroque
Oct 27, 2007

i'm going to die early

Umbreon
May 21, 2011

Retail Slave posted:

Are you insured? Because othewise the machine goes into a couple thousand if you get it though a medical supply company. You could probably get one for about $500-800 on eBay if you're willing to pay out of pocket. But they last a while if you are really good about cleaning all your equipment. The headgear stretches out though and will need to be replaced about 3-4 times a year.

I'm "insured", but with a $2,000 deductible and the lowest co-insurance rate I have being 30%, I would have saved a lot of money this year if I just went without insurance entirely despite all my prescriptions and doctors visits. I severely doubt this garbage insurance won't even cover a CPAP machine anyway.

Do you know any brands/models that aren't lovely?

fuck the ROW
Aug 29, 2008

by zen death robot
Thanks obama!

meet girls at the store
Nov 4, 2002
I think I have this, what do I do

ManDingo
Jun 1, 2001
You guys should hear about this one weird trick to not die in your sleep.

You can breathe through your nose.

Doctor's hate me.

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

Uncle at Nintendo posted:

the tongue thing

wow this explains so much, thank you

I sleep on my stomach/face so I snore less (loudly) and it's more comfortable for my tits anyway

My husband has hella narcolepsy and breathing issues to begin with and snores when he's on his back. Sometimes it sounds bad. He also probably has a stupid tongue like me

Umbreon
May 21, 2011

The Snoo posted:

wow this explains so much, thank you

I sleep on my stomach/face so I snore less (loudly) and it's more comfortable for my tits anyway

As a retarded and clueless about life in general person, my mind is having trouble understanding how that's more comfortable instead of less. Explain?

(Especially because snoring less is something I definitely loving need)

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

The weight of boob + heart palpitations make back sleeping uncomfortable and I can only do it if I'm super exhausted and taking a nap, so stomach sleeping just felt more comfortable. I've just read that stomach sleeping is supposed to help with sleep apnea and snoring, but fucks up your back/neck and is also why I wake up with my hands asleep. v :) v One of the issues was waking up with extreme soreness in my neck and shoulders, but I remedied that by only using a single pillow, a memory foam one for side sleepers.

idk how the gently caress you'd sleep on your stomach with a cpap machine tho

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

Umbreon posted:

I'm "insured", but with a $2,000 deductible and the lowest co-insurance rate I have being 30%, I would have saved a lot of money this year if I just went without insurance entirely despite all my prescriptions and doctors visits. I severely doubt this garbage insurance won't even cover a CPAP machine anyway.

Do you know any brands/models that aren't lovely?

I have a Phillips Respronics. It's lasted me several years.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

The Snoo posted:

The weight of boob + heart palpitations make back sleeping uncomfortable and I can only do it if I'm super exhausted and taking a nap, so stomach sleeping just felt more comfortable. I've just read that stomach sleeping is supposed to help with sleep apnea and snoring, but fucks up your back/neck and is also why I wake up with my hands asleep. v :) v One of the issues was waking up with extreme soreness in my neck and shoulders, but I remedied that by only using a single pillow, a memory foam one for side sleepers.

idk how the gently caress you'd sleep on your stomach with a cpap machine tho

How big are your boobs? serious question not trying to be a goon

shoophobo
Aug 30, 2013

"shoophobo? more like shittyposter!" :grin:

Fallen Rib
lol if you don't have a resmed elite with heated tube, LCD Touch screen and 3G/WiFi connectivity.
Just lol.

wuffles
Apr 10, 2004

shoophobo posted:

lol if you don't have a resmed elite with heated tube, LCD Touch screen and 3G/WiFi connectivity.
Just lol.

Hey that's the one I have, it's very nice. Another regular weight dude here with a large tongue. A CPAP is life changing, if you got the apneas get your priorities straight and get it looked at.

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

or you can sleep on your fat loving gut and not need a machine to pump air into you.

tenspott
Aug 1, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

EugeneJ posted:

This is important

I've never met a thin person with sleep apnea

My girlfriend has it and she has washboard abs. I think her giant natural boobies are doing it to her.

Ork of Fiction
Jul 22, 2013

EVIL Gibson posted:

So.... This is what a sexy goofy looks like...

Gawrsh. :wiggle:

Ork of Fiction
Jul 22, 2013

TheNinjaScotsman posted:

I think I have this, what do I do

You sleep on your back and it messes up your breathing. Just wear a scuba tank to bed and you won't have to worry about that ne more.

e: if it's the ol' chunky tongue, then u should go see a witch doctor and maybe he'll just shrink that one part of ur head

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin
I have it, I'm not fat.

azzenco
Jan 16, 2004

Slippery Tilde
How long did it take you people to get used to the CPAP machine? I use it infrequently but when I use it I still wake up like once once or twice a night.

polio king
Jun 19, 2004

vyst posted:

Here's an idea. Put down the baconator and go outside and exercise some so you don't have to sleep like a goddamn android

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"
I'm fat and also fat

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

EVIL Gibson posted:

So.... This is what a sexy goofy looks like...

lol.

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
I stop breathing several times a night and wake up gasping for air, sure is cool knowing I'm gonna die soon.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Bimmi posted:

I stop breathing several times a night and wake up gasping for air, sure is cool knowing I'm gonna die soon.

you should get a breath mask like my dad has

Boomstick Quaid
Jan 28, 2009
Hey freaks, narcoleptic here coming in to say: lose some loving weight and get a real disease. Peace

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

I think my big fat brother has this, he snores like a chainsaw

I don't want him to die in his sleep like the guy from giantbomb :(

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Fonzarelli posted:

I think my big fat brother has this, he snores like a chainsaw

I don't want him to die in his sleep like the guy from giantbomb :(

Seriously, tell him to talk to a doctor. My dad has been so better since he got his sleeping breathing thing.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
i've been a heavy snorer basically my entire life, a couple years ago I had a sleep study done and was given a cpap because i stop breathing approximately 50 times every hour according to their monitors. after using it for a while i noticed that i wasn't waking up a dozen or more times every night. i was like, is this what normies sleep like? holy poo poo

i'm overweight now but i was a pipsqueak as a kid so i guess putting on a few pounds is what tipped the scales. literally

Boomstick Quaid
Jan 28, 2009
I had a sleep study and my brain waves had no overall pattern at all and was just random noise. Said I had 33 awakenings despite only waking to consciousness once. My brain has no clue how to sleep.

Garcin
Jun 15, 2000
sleep apnea masks can have an extra connection for oxygen, but I use a bottle of industrial nitrous oxide and I sleep VERY WELL.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Garcin posted:

sleep apnea masks can have an extra connection for oxygen, but I use a bottle of industrial nitrous oxide and I sleep VERY WELL.

lol

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

Garcin posted:

i'll post a trip report tomorrow

Garcin
Jun 15, 2000

Node posted:

i'll post a trip report tomorrow

the key is the regulator. too much and you lose like half of your brain cells. too little and you lose only 25 percent of your brain cells.

Illavick
Sep 15, 2012

WHENA MINA RENA VATIVE
WTF GBS! I just had an appointment with my doctor to get a referral to a sleep clinic for apnea and this thread shows up. This poo poo happens way too loving often. GET OUT OF MY HEAD. GET THE gently caress OUT GET OUT GET OUT.

Garcin
Jun 15, 2000

Illavick posted:

WTF GBS! I just had an appointment with my doctor to get a referral to a sleep clinic for apnea and this thread shows up. This poo poo happens way too loving often. GET OUT OF MY HEAD. GET THE gently caress OUT GET OUT GET OUT.

you'll fight the exhale and it may feel like drowning, but that positive pressure keeps your airway open

takes a week or so to get used to

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I sleep face down, always have, so I don't experience this poo poo.

Illavick
Sep 15, 2012

WHENA MINA RENA VATIVE

Garcin posted:

you'll fight the exhale and it may feel like drowning, but that positive pressure keeps your airway open

takes a week or so to get used to

This isn't habit forming is it? Like, if I bust rear end and lose a bunch of weight and quit smoking will I be stuck going darth vader at night?

old-timey newspaper gal
Feb 23, 2005
I am a not-at-all fat dude with fairly bad sleep apnea. I love hooking up to my dream machine space mask for the night. Once you get used to the cpap and start getting the actual good sleep you should've gotten all along its a pretty huge difference.

Not the most romantic with a new love interest though.

Illavick posted:

This isn't habit forming is it? Like, if I bust rear end and lose a bunch of weight and quit smoking will I be stuck going darth vader at night?

I don't normally take my cpap on vacation and it isn't a big problem.

Garcin
Jun 15, 2000

Illavick posted:

It's tough for me to answer that question. All I can tell you is that after two months of fighting with a CPAP I sleep about 6 hours a night, and I have a morning that I have never had since I was like 21. I have a seriously deviated septum. I now have mornings. I have no problem being darth vader for 6 hours a night.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Garcin
Jun 15, 2000

Hot Jam posted:

I don't normally take my cpap on vacation and it isn't a big problem.
I don't either, I can go a bunch of nights without one no problem. But I need to eventually make up that lack of sleep.

• Locked thread