Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who blew it the hardest?
This poll is closed.
Conor McGregor 31 15.98%
Jon Jones 163 84.02%
Total: 194 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
VagueRant
May 24, 2012
Oh my god, I can't believe we got the real Tito Ortiz on SA! (I'll never live that doctor thing down.)

Real mixed feelings on the Jon Jones thing. In a vaccuum, it's a fight I was definitely curious to see, especially with the slim hope that DC could beat him. But on the other hand I did not want to watch Jones win at anything, especially against DC after all that's gone on - and that seemed the far more likely outcome. Not worth being cheated out of an interesting fight, sure, but kind of a perfect headstone for Jon Jones and his stupid loving brain.

What are the odds we get a short notice fill in so DC can still fight?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
Wasn't even going to watch the Browne/Velasquez fight, so I was shocked it turned out to be my fave fight of the night. Heartbroken by the losses of Hunt and Tate. Aldo and Edgar were super impressive athletes but the fight got kind of boring to watch when you realised there was going to be no spectacle, just waiting out the clock and counterpunching - again, not to take away from how ridiculously fast and skilled they were. The simultaneous roundhouse was adorable.

Can someone explain what Big John did in DC/Silva? Separating them and standing them up like that? Never seen that before...Is there any precedent, rhyme or reason?

VagueRant
May 24, 2012

DumbWhiteGuy posted:

When the action stalls or is stalemated on the ground, the refs will give them some time to improve their positions but if they can't they the ref stands them up. Standing up from half guard is a little iffy because it's advantageous for the person on top but it's one of those things that the crowd can sway. It used to be a lot bigger of an issue back in the day because you'd have a wrestler take down a person and then be unable to do anything so they'd just lay there. Nowadays, people are a little more well-rounded and can either take advantage of a top position or the person on bottom will figure out how to get out.
Thanks for the answer. Seems like it unfairly rules out a valid strategy for competition, but this is a spectator sport at the end of the day...

• Locked thread