Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

vintagepurple posted:

Reponding "oui" instead of "OUUAAAAIS" is enough to get some québécois to switch to bad english. Also one flight attendant couldn't understand "jus d'orange" after about four repetitions despite seemingly being a native dog-howl speaker. My dad's family was France french and actual french people regularly complement my accent, so take my experience how you will.

If you move to Canada OP, expect to find no potential anglophone partner even willing to consider Montréal as a city of choice, despite it being aeons more enjoyable and liveable than Toronto or Vancouver even as a 100% anglo speaker.

My grandmother lives in Montreal, it's pretty nice, good food and some great architecture.

Her best friend's son was shot to death a few years back by police who mistakenly thought he had a gun, though, so it might not be perfect for the OP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

ToxicSlurpee posted:

For that matter you can basically create an entire new French identity after spending a few years (four, I think?) in the French Foreign Legion. Then you can be like "gently caress this America poo poo, I'm French now." Apparently you don't even need to speak French to join; they'll teach you while you're there.

I think they "teach" French by beating the poo poo out if you until you learn it or die.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

I assume German high school English produces as much real world proficiency as American high school Spanish.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

flavor posted:

Well, you know what happens if you assume. The major difference is that American students immediately forget everything they learned after it's over because there's no actual need to speak or understand Spanish for most of them. America has no real culture of people learning different languages, it generally gets treated like spraying Febreze, something you can quickly pick up over a weekend to impress your coworker with a horribly bungled sentence or whatever, and when they find out about the actual effort involved, they rage-quit. This is quite different in a place like Germany. It's imperative for them to know English to interact with people from other countries, they're surrounded by things being in English and the benefits are tangible, such as better career prospects.

Yeah, thats what I was trying to get it, actually using/trying to use the language in the real world is a necessary and indispensible component. Same in America, some people go into areas or careers where Spanish is very helpful, and naturally they're the ones who actually know Spanish.

• Locked thread