Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.
Sometimes, I reflect that a large slice of people are mentally incapable of handling the free flow of information available on the internet. Sorry you weren't born in the past OP, when you could have lived a life of blissful ignorance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

SurfaceDetail posted:

If you have a decent job america literally is the nicest place to live on earth to be honest.

What are you basing that on? Have you lived everywhere in the world?

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

Accurately or not, people tend to define immigrants as aspirational and expats as being from places with high QoL already. Also, mild racism.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

Tequila Sunrise posted:

Since this thread is now just about languages or whatever, what is the attitude of French and German speakers towards foreigners trying to speak their languages?

I've never been to France but I've heard that many French people don't like foreigners trying to speak French to them, because they butcher the language or something. I had this confirmed by one of my French friends ("Just speak English, most of us do anyway"), but to be fair he's kind of a twat so I don't know if that's the general consensus. Is it the same in Germany?

I only ask because I've lived in Asia for a while now and in every country I've been to people have been overly-enthusiastic about me speaking even a tiny bit of the local language. It's nice that people are encouraging, but people telling me "You're so good at X language!" because I can ask what time it is also gets kind of old.

I didn't read any of the posts in between but French people love people attempting to speak French. They, more than most, like to watch tourists at least attempt to speak their language rather than just launching into English and assuming they will respond. I have seen French people feign being unable to speak English to some person, then speak it 5 minutes later fluently to somebody who at least attempted to ask them a question in French.

They are kinda prideful about their language, although I get the sense that newer generations are a bit rebellious against that whole thing. They are usually pretty happy to speak English.

• Locked thread