Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

IcePhoenix posted:

I have a feeling that the finals will be on the Brooklyn card. Nevermind I didn't look at the taping/broadcast dates. Maybe the Finals will be the takeover after Brooklyn?

I believe the finals are supposed to be their own 2 hour show. Assuming the semis are also on that card, you could do a third place play-off match and maybe a multi-man tag showcase and it'd be around the same length as a Takeover card.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Given the heavy focus on human interest stuff on the Bracketology show, I'm surprised Sorenson's not one of the main guys. Do we think the injury happening in TNA was considered a negative for making it part of his story?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

rovert posted:

He's been on NXT TV a few times as a jobber:

Cool Seth Rollins/Aquaman crossover cosplay.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
WWE have gotten better, they'll acknowledge at least 2 cities from a nation. Like if you're English you can be from London OR Manchester.

(For real, though, they've gotten better about billing people from other countries from actual places rather than just the capital)

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Supposedly they're doing weigh-ins before each taping, so... maybe? Maybe they'll show the guys cutting promos on one another as they make weight like in UFC?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Xenoletum posted:

There's an interview with Davari out there where he talks about Lun. Pretty much Lun is very green, but there is no wrestling culture in China at all. Lun is one of their pioneers, and has lots of potential to be realized, but there is work to do.

That being said, Davari thinks people online are being a bit too hard on him.

Honestly, if Lun had come into NXT, and had had a few months at the Performance Center, or on the road with an Aries or a Bobby Roode? He'd probably be fine. It's throwing him in with a more polished dude in Daivari and on the same card as someone like Ibushi that shows up his weaknesses.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Isn't there another Hong Kong guy in the field? Or is he like Daivari or the Indian guys and actually from, like, Iowa?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
^Yeah, what she said.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

AMReese posted:

Is there even a title belt on the line? I mean, there's been no mention of it yet, and you think they'd show it before the tournament if there was.

Why? We didn't see the new women's belt before Mania, and this way if the winner is actually getting a belt or a trophy, you can have like 10 minutes of the finals show being the unveiling of the prize.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Dango Bango posted:

Legit cruiserweight matches would be a great way to fill some of the 3 hours of Raw. Who cares how it works.

Why are you posting this close to Raw, Steph, that seems very unprofessional?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
So the winner of the tournament has to be getting the Crusierweight belt, right? Which means it's definitely gonna be a guy they've signed.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I'd say more than just possible. Why bother branding a 'division' if there's no title? Wouldn't they just be new guys wrestling for whichever midcard belt ends up on Raw otherwise?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I just reviewed my picks, and I'm 8 for 8 but now a little wary of my next few choices. (Also how far I said Ho Ho would go, though that's more iffy, because I can see him being the dark horse that gets further than you'd think until he hits the brick wall of ZSJ). I also went for Bennet over Nese, but I'm not familiar with either guy even by rep, so that was a total coin toss.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Lince Dorado was definitely the most impressive flyer so far, going just by what we saw in the actual tourney.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I gave up on this week's NXT on the Win10 app because it completely crashed to desktop every single time Rhyno began to set up the Gore. Like he'd start running, and FARRRRRT, whole thing dies.

You're definitely better using a console or streaming box for the Network.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Johnson has a great story, he'd be a good fit for NXT in the developmental sense. I'm sure his promos are fine going by the little pre-match reel, but he needs work in-ring.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

MinibarMatchman posted:

poo poo they're just offering everyone contracts. Hope we get at least a few like TJ, Akira Tozawa, and Cedric. Those guys would be huge in NXT.

I think they're sending them straight to RAM, actually.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Skinty McEdger posted:

I get the sense they seem even more interested in him the more he says no. It helps that he's filled out and become annoyingly handsome from when they first looked at him when he looked skinny and generally like he was from Sheppey.

Nothing gets Vince more interested than being told no.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

exploding mummy posted:

He won't be the worst person to get a fall on Matanza this year.

Makes Pentagon look like a dumbass though.

"Wait, I just had to put him in a cravat for 20 minutes?"

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

projecthalaxy posted:

I gotta say I was not as entranced by ZSJ at first glance as I was with Ibushi, Tozawa, or the other Big Names in the tournament. Like I can respect how difficult that ending sequence of transitions was, but I don't really care? He does seem like A Nice Young Man though.

I think it's one of those things that builds over time. Like it's not as immediately flashy, but once you click to what he's doing it's probably really fun to see someone be outmatched or him wrestling another submission guy and seeing them play 'the human game of chess'.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
LET'S GO SPANKY

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
loving hell, that cloverleaf swing!

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I like the story of this match, actually. Brian's the old man who's just a little slower than he used to be and can't keep up, so he has to fight dirty.

EDIT: Although, he's getting the heat by working the teeth? What?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

oatgan posted:

brian kendrick should brag about training eva marie

He should come back to the main roster as her personal trainer. Paul London can be her chauffeur.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

The_Rob posted:

Why do people hold on to turnbuckles and wait for ADR to stomp on them.

This one's bullshit, though.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
That looks fine. It's less dumb than the Orton Stomp.

You were making it sound like he waits 10 full seconds before stomping.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Jenny Angel posted:

For real. All his goofy entrance charisma disappeared the moment the match started - compare to someone like No Way Jose, who's pretty green but a complete joy to watch due to his in-ring character work

Also I just wanna note that my previous favorite thing about the CWC so far, "Tozawa's first round performance", has been eclipsed by "Zack Sabre Jr. causing people to freak out, in 2016, about professional wrestling not actually being a very good combat strategy"

My favourite thing is TBK's masteful performance in turning a crowd pre-disposed to like him, even moreso after cutting a total babyface promo, and getting them to boo him vociferously, AND having it still make sense with the aforementioned promo.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I can't get over how heartstring-tugging the 'Without wrestling... I'm just livin'..." line was, and how it totally played into the story, where Kendrick NEEDS to win this thing because it's his last shot, and he will do ANYthing to make that happen.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Holy poo poo, I just got that the Sihra boys are basically doing an Indian version of the Hollywood Blonds!

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Food Court Druid posted:

Fabian Eichner is the name of a guy who was just following orders.

Also, holy poo poo, Jack Gallagher is already a better Vaudevillain

Technically he would be a veteran of the music hall.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

projecthalaxy posted:

Fabian Eichner is a mid-level John Claude Van Damme villain.

He does kinda look like the guy Jason Statham kills at about the one hour mark of the movie.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Dat hammerlock counter!

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Endless Mike posted:

$5000. Have him win!

Braun tries the reverse chokeslam and Jack uses some obscure counter into an armbar that Billy Robinson used in the AWA.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
D-did Galagher just win with a dropkick?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Dias posted:

I think corner dropkick has got to rank high in terms of "what the gently caress is that his...?" finishers

To be fair, if you're gonna finish with a dropkick, THAT dropkick was about as good as you'll get.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

projecthalaxy posted:

Tajiri vs Gran Metallik and Cedric Alexander vs Kota Ibushi next week. Just two matches? Wonder if they are going to have losers matches too?

Both matches could go 15-20 minutes, and we might get longer promo videos for the guys. That wouldn't leave much time for anything else, especially if one or other of the matches goes even longer.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
They might do stuff like Bryan, Mauro and Corey doing a longer tale of the tape as well, breaking down the matches.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

sticklefifer posted:

Gallagher can't join the Vaudevillains, he's too much of a gentlemen and they're nefarious scoundrels.

I'm not sure what's better outfit-wise for Jack. His rainbow trunks and socks, or that amazing suit he wore in his hype video.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Has Gallagher ever used that dropkick as a finish on the indies, or was that just luck that they booked this match to go that way and he freakin' nailed the spot?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Baron Corbyn posted:

Isn't that pretty much all of them? By my count there's just two USA vs USA matches: Nese/Bennett and Gargano/Ciampa

Ehhh, Ali/Dorado is basically US vs US (even if dudes like that likely wouldn't think of it as such for multiple reasons), one's from Chicago, the other from Puerto Rico. And like half the round 2 matches are.

• Locked thread