Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Kawalimus posted:

Last match in this was real real good. FF'd through most of them, but now that the real jobbers are out and everyone's won a match it will be more interesting.

Also, I like how the commentary is in this. Different from the standard mold they use.

Gallagher/Aichner is worth watching the whole thing. Same with Ali/Dorado and the Kendrick/Mendoza match.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Jenny Angel posted:

Advertising Dar vs. Lun for next week is particularly cruel in light of this

I assume that only goes like 5 minutes, hence the 3 match show. We still get Tozawa/Gentleman Jack and the Kendrick match should be decent.

Also, Lethal would be great in WWE, but the Bucks? I give them 2 months before they're losing to the Vaudevillains on whichever C-show is the Smackdown one after pissing someone in the office off.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
It's not even the Bucks' talent. They're good athletes and can do cool poo poo. I'm just certain they'll get told to slow down, :smug: it up and be shocked when they get relegated to comedy matches on the preshow.

exploding mummy posted:

Lethal would be a drat great pickup, since at the very least he's a much better promo than Apollo.

Lethal pretending to be Randy Savage or Ric Flair is a better promo that half the roster, let alone as himself.

Hey! No spoilers! (I think we all figured he was winning when ZSJ not signing became clear)

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

RacistGuidingLight posted:

Who's the best? American Alpha? The Mechanics? A different Bullet Club team? The Hype Bros?

I'd actually put the Revival up against them most days.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

BROCK LESBIAN posted:

Are there other sneaky kickers?

Ibushi just looks innocent. All the better to catch you off-guard.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Accident Underwater posted:

Double count out would also knock them both out.

And Gentleman Jack can take their spot! :haw: (C'mon, no-one really thinks he's beating Tozawa, right?)

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

NotQuiteQuentin posted:

it's time for the big over,

the sun of the ring

the true ace of dragon gate,

akira tozawa

to dump that fancy brit doofus on his head a whole bunch of times.

Gentleman Jack gonna kick Tozawa in the face and twist him like a pretzel. (And then get dropped on his head a lot)

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
"Have you ever seen anything like this, Daniel?"

"No."

:raise: Really, Daniel? You've never seen the spot YOU used to do?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Am I wrong, btw, or is Gallagher more cut than he was in round 1? He actually looks like he has abs now.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

achillesforever6 posted:

CTE is a hell of a thing

It's just not good commentary. If Itami was on, I'd want Bryan to talk about why he used the knee strike and why it's so good, not act like he's never seen it before.

Jenny Angel posted:

I get why Gallagher's getting so much love here, but I feel like he's getting way too big a share of the offense in this match. Not sure whose fault that is

Tozawa was going over, so he has another chance to be seen. Gallagher was losing so he only had one more shot to look good for the agents.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I literally have no idea who's going over between Metallik and Tozawa.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Disagree. That was basically a good display of a Jack Gallagher match. You don't need to see another one.

I liked that Jack was able to very explicitly turn on the intensity to show he can be aggressive and serious.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
That Michinoku Driver looked really scary.

I'd say it's less that Lun is slow, more that he's taking too long between hitting his poo poo and his poo poo only looks OK most of the time. He's kind of the textbook indy guy who showboats way too much for how good he actually is.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
He's probably the exact type of guy who SHOULD be training at the Performance Centre, though. A few weeks or months under an Adam Pearce or Shawn Michaels? If he's ever gonna 'get it', he'd get it from them.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

GeneX posted:

I mean, yeah. I don't think I said that he wouldn't be better with more training? Am I missing something?

No, I was just saying why I think WWE are liable to be signing him.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

GeneX posted:

Wait, THE Brian Kendrick won?!

Awesome!

I figured it was pretty obvious from the brackets that he's the wily veteran who gets close to the end, while Tajiri was only there to put over WWE's next big hope for a latin/luchador star.

I like how they keep pushing the redemption story narrative on Kendrick but he still wrestles like a cheating shitbag.

I love it because they both make sense. It is conceivably Kendrick's last shot, and as such, he is willing to go to any lengths to win, even when the other men are younger, faster, stronger and better.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Kennel posted:

What date is/was the taping for the quarterfinals?

It's on the 26th, the day after the next NXT taping.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Do not even ask posted:

I can't be the only one who thinks Kendrick beats Ibushi for the big shocking upset of the tournament, right?

I'm torn. It would be the better story if Kendrick got to the semis or the finals only to trip at the last hurdle, but... it's Ibushi. On the other-other hand, Ibushi allegedly isn't signing...

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

NotQuiteQuentin posted:

Don't know why they wouldn't. More concerned that they wouldn't want a guy doing all kinds of Germans on the same show that Brock sometimes shows up.

It's Sheamus's finish, though.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

MinibarMatchman posted:

Neither is ZSJ and yet I'm sure the finals will be those two. Just can't see Kendrick beating Ibushi especially after the legit MOTY battle he had last week.

Oh, that's been my pick for the finals since the field was announced, let alone the brackets, but unless they've decided to ignore the obvious opportunity of using the tournament to crown the new champion for Raw, I can't see them having 2 unsigned guys in the final now. One, maybe, but they almost have to give the other spot to a guy that's coming in.

Baron Corbyn posted:

I can't believe that Brian Kendrick is my favourite thing in this tournament but there you go. I don't know if anyone's done the character of being a completely outmatched underdog face who resorts to every dirty trick in the book to even stand a chance but it's really fun. I also thought I read a spoiler that Nese won so the outcome was a very pleasant surprise.

I loved Tozawa/Gallagher but even during the match I got the sense that this:

might be the case. I enjoyed both his matches but I think the act might get really stale really quick. I like what I've seen of him more than ZSJ though. Tozawa being really angry at everything Gallagher did helped too.

I don't know. I think he showed enough fire that there's more there if they want it.
But I'm also pretty sure Kendrick's a heel. His post-match promo was talking about looking forward to beating the crowd's favourite. He's basically a heel with what is usually a babyface story, and it's working which is great.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

MinibarMatchman posted:

what's the confirmed "signed and headed to WWE" list so far? I recall Ho Ho, Noam, Cedric Alexander, Rich Swann, and TJ Perkins being the ones sent over when all is said and done.

I have one question: how is Jack Gallagher not on this list

I imagine anyone who was in that promo package on Raw is gonna be on TV in 4 weeks. So Swann, TJP, Dar and TBK are all definitely in, and Cedric, Ho Ho and Lince Dorado seem fairly sure bets. Gran Metalik too, as WWE have tried to trademark the name.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Jenny Angel posted:

Also I wanna be clear that while I'm obviously a little resentful of the love Gallagher gets while my boy ZSJ is dealing with this backlash, Gallagher is still very good and "a worse ZSJ" is not exactly a grave insult coming from me

Honestly, I think it's that Gallagher's more character-focused work lends itself better to a cold viewing. Remember, a lot of people (me included) have HEARD of ZSJ, but not seen him, and others haven't even heard the name. Going solely off of their appearances so far in the CWC and no other info, they have similar styles, but Gallagher has a more distinctive look and works his style into a WWE format more easily (both matches had him shine early, the heel used hard strikes to get the heat, then he fired up for a more aggressive comeback, and won/lost) and got over bigger. I'm sure ZSJ is a major name for a reason and hopefully his match on tonight's show is a better showcase, but this isn't people seeing his work for the last several years and making GBS threads on him.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Baby Babbeh posted:

It's kind of funny that people are completely dismissing ZSJ based on one squash match he worked with a kind of not great dude in the first round. ZSJ is a big name for a reason, and while I agree that the first round match was kind of lackluster and had weird pacing, it was one match. I like Gallagher too and in many ways I think he's a better signing for WWE, as he seems a bit closer to what they look for in a wrestler, but ZSJ is great.

I'm not dismissing him, just pointing out that being more impressed by Gallagher isn't a mystery when you realise the people saying that (myself included) may only have seen said ZSJ squash, compared to the two very good showings Gallagher had in the tournament.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Went to bed before the show started. Am disappointed that no one posted NO FISTS JUST FLIPS when the Swann/Dorado match was starting.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

AMReese posted:

If he does go to NXT, where he needs to have a character to make it in WWE, I bet we'll see a lot more personality out of him and the rest of those that are getting signed.

Drew Gulak? Don't change anything about him. Just get him to the main roster so he can stretch some fools.

Gulak as just a mean spirited shooter who likes to hurt people would be a good bit of variety for the crusierweight division. Though I'm with Meltzer in that Austin Aries should be the top heel for the division.

Grozz Nuy posted:

I would pay money to see Vince's reaction to several of the CWC competitors prior to their first match on Raw. Especially Gallagher.

Gallagher would be interesting, because there's every chance Vince would find him hilarious. Plus he has apparently a bit of a legit tough guy rep from doing low level MMA.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

The_Rob posted:

I would be down to bring back the godfather but just give the gimmick to ho ho.

But who would be Ho Ho's hoes?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

oatgan posted:

drat my favorite underdog is wrestling my favorite luchador

Good news! One of your favourites will win and go to the semi-finals!

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

SamuraiFoochs posted:

I am legit so sad Ibushi isn't signing. :(

Do we know he's not? The Torch seems fairly sure he's in. I mean, ADR signed and he was the AAA champion and WWE even promised to let him work a couple of dates for them (and they believed them for some reason)

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

MysticalMachineGun posted:

What a show, goddamn. It's a proper shame that Kendrick is out though, as he was the only heelish type left.

Look, for example, at Swann vs TJP. Both have underdog hard luck stories - who's the crowd meant to get behind?

(Swann, it should be Swann)

Oh, Swann should be the babyface, absolutely. TJP can easily play a douchebag prettyboy heel.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

NotQuiteQuentin posted:

He dropped the Triangle Gate on an untelevised joint produce show yesterday. If he ends up not signing, I'd be stunned.

Wrong guy. That show is apparently right before the DDT show Ibushi's booked on. Tozawa's almost certainly in.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
The CWC salt is hilarious because as good as LU is, I'm pretty sure more people watch the CWC than have ever watched any single episode of LU as it aired.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

oatgan posted:

the united kingdom heritage of fit finlay

Fit's from Belfast, which is part of the UK.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I actually really hope ZSJ doesn't sign, for his sake. His style does not lend itself well to short matches, so he'll get NO reaction in a 4 minute Raw special.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Jenny Angel posted:

Most grueling submissions of this tournament so far:

1) Drew Gulak's gory special from the second round
2) Zack Sabre Jr.'s ... double scissored armbar I think you'd call it? From the quarterfinals
3) The pretzels that people tie themselves into in order to justify their ZSJ hate

I don't think anyone HATES ZSJ, but I just can't see him fitting on Raw. From WWE's perspective, a Gulak or Nese or Galagher have more upside when they're going to be coming onto a show where they're going to have to get a crowd in Corpus Christi going in like 3 minutes and an entrance.

Maybe it'd be a Danielson or Styles situation where people thought he'd flounder in WWE due to lack of charisma or promo ability only to end up shining in that realm, but I've never heard anyone rave about ZSJ's talking.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Legitimately don't understand how anyone could say Nese is a better grab for WWE than Zack.

Simple. Imagine showing Vince pics of both men.

(It's partly about who I think is more likely to be able to get over in whatever time the cruisers will get on Monday nights, and partly who WWE will actually see as marketable)

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Paper Triangle posted:

oh, i guess that explains the almost-as-bad- Seven Nation Army chant for ZSJ. are these chants basically soccer-adjacent? i know nothing about european football but my brain wants to make a connection.

Yes. Also where the Enzo/Cass and Bayley songs come from.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Paper Triangle posted:

EDIT: Enzo and Cass have a song/chant? i just hear people do their little speech along with them or chant HOW YOU DOIN. the hey we want some bayley chant is the worst chant in all of the WWE for sure though.

The "Ohhhhhh Enzo Amo-re" thing.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I liked him actually praising TJP for holding submissions until nearly the 5 count, because of course Bryan Danielson would approve of that.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Kawalimus posted:

They could have picked a better darkhorse in my opinion. But at least they have one.

I'm surprised by this sentiment, because I picked TJP to get this far from day 1. He's young. He's got a bit of a rep. He's good looking. They're pushing the Philippino heritage. He's an obvious pick to be a douchebag heel on the main roster. I know people love Swann, but while he's good, I'm not quite seeing megastar yet. He needs to work on not making his flashier stuff seem so contrived. The standing 450, in particular takes SO long that... if the guy's not getting up, why not just pin him, or go to the top and hit a 450 from up there that should hit harder?

Honestly, I'm not a hardcore follower of the indies, but I'm an internet wrestling fan, so I know names and some people, and I had way more awareness of Perkins than of Swann, and Swann's been in the WWE system for what, a year and a half now?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Eltoasto posted:

It's not a success if your winner is over wrestling in Japan.

Yeah, WWE ain't giving that ugly trophy to someone who won't sign.

• Locked thread