Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ThePariah
Feb 10, 2014
Cool OP, cool tournament.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThePariah
Feb 10, 2014
First episode was really good. The three big names (Metalik, Alexander, Ibushi) delivered, Daivari was good and Maluta and Petiot seemed decent enough, as well. Quickly skimming through the thread shows that everyone is on the same page about Ho Ho Lun, but I thought that as far as wrestling talent goes, Saez wasn't much better than him, and he doesn't have nearly the upside Ho Ho has. The shooting star press was cool, but I thought he looked pretty awkward in the ring, and his facial expressions were horrible.

But yeah, great first episode. The wrestlers seem to have a lot of liberty in what they're allowed to do, I wouldn't expect them to do some of these moves or work at this pace on any other WWE show. I love that Ibushi won with the Last Ride, there's so much more he can do but it's only his first match in a tournament he should be going all the way in. I don't think the truly great matches will happen until later on in the tournament, but this first round looks to be a lot of fun nonetheless.

ThePariah
Feb 10, 2014
Yeah, everyone has their own theme. Mostly pretty generic stuff.

ThePariah
Feb 10, 2014
Final episode will be live, two hours IIRC. Semi-finals and finals.

ThePariah
Feb 10, 2014
I like ZSJ, but his style is pretty much the antithesis of the WWE style. Every successful WWE wrestler of the past few decades who's been considered a technician just used a number of signature submission holds. Hopefully ZSJ's stuff will be able to get more over later into the tournament. Maybe he should've busted out some Johnny Saint spots.

Basic Chunnel posted:

Had to pack it in early for work so I didn't get too deep into the match, I'll watch it in full and get feedback out tomorrow. There are definitely technicians who can pull out American-style fireworks - I remember some PWG highlights with Kyle O'Reilly that fit the bill (didn't he reverse a SSP into a crossface once?)

ZSJ won the last BOLA and he's the current PWG Champion, he can put on a match American wrestling fans enjoy.

ThePariah fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Jul 28, 2016

ThePariah
Feb 10, 2014
Mankind's such a sick, sadomasochistic man that he wouldn't care even if his opponent did bite his hand.

ThePariah
Feb 10, 2014
I didn't look at the spoilers and the only one I got wrong was Daivari vs Ho Ho Lun.

Gallagher is great, Aichner is good, main event was real good.

ThePariah
Feb 10, 2014
Man, the very end gave me chills.

Cedric staying out there like an attention-starved sore loser for ages, delaying the show. It got so bad Triple H had to come out and get him the gently caress out of there so the show could go on. Chilling lack of respect by Cedric.

ThePariah
Feb 10, 2014
I can't wait to see what Noam Dar vs Ho Ho Lun looks like, it has the chance to be the polar opposite of Cedric vs Ibushi.

ThePariah
Feb 10, 2014
Ho Ho/Dar was a major disappointment, I was hoping for a trainwreck.

Really enjoyed Tozawa/Gallagher and Nese/Kendrick. I think I remember hearing bad things about Tony Nese before this tournament, but I have nothing to criticize about his performance in this tournament. Tozawa and Gallagher are great and Kendrick/Ibushi will be really interesting.

ThePariah
Feb 10, 2014

rovert posted:

I don't know if either have said it verbatim but Finlay and Regal think Zack works "too gay" apparently.

Uggghhhh.

ThePariah
Feb 10, 2014
Good episode, first match was fun and the last two matches were good. Especially Gulak/ZSJ, the exact kind of match I want to see from both men. A man's shoulders are not supposed to bend like that.

Shame about Gargano being eliminated, but the storytelling is good so it's nothing to complain about. I don't have anything against TJP, he's been good in this tournament.

I've predicted ZSJ/Ibushi finals since the start, and while neither having signed with WWE might change that, I think at least one of the two will make it to the finals.

ThePariah
Feb 10, 2014
Ibushi seems to wrestle because he loves doing it, to the extent that he'll hinder his career to do whatever he wants. Can't fault a guy for doing what he loves, even if it might not be "the best thing" for him.

I think the finals are a 2-hour show, and live as well.

ThePariah
Feb 10, 2014
Christ what a good episode. I think Ibushi/Cedric is still match of the tournament, but both matches on this episode were close.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThePariah
Feb 10, 2014

I didn't notice Mauro's commentary before this clip (I was busy listening to Tozawa) and boy was that awkward.

I'm glad Tozawa's found a PG way to tell people to shut the gently caress up, though.

• Locked thread