Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Vaguido posted:

My final four are Gran Metalik, ZSJ, Ibushi and Swann. CMLL not allowing Mascara Dorada to use his normal ring name makes me think that WWE is trying to sign him so I expect him to go far, but I think everyone expects the finals to be ZSJ vs Ibushi so they're at least going to push him to the semi-finals.

Swann is just great, and he deserves to make it as far as he can.

We are totally on the same page. Gran Metallik is a fairly big get with his NJPW and CMLL experience, so I'd have to think he goes far. Plus, lucha vs. grapplefucking is too good a match to pass up.

I was tempted to put Swann over Ibushi for the holy poo poo upset of the tournament and I might still go back and edit after thinking about it for awhile. Ibushi is obviously an odds on favorite to be in the finals, but he is also unpredictable as poo poo with his wrestling career and I could see that combining with his lack of English skills to scare off WWE from thrusting him into the finals. Swann would get NXT some representation as a premier world brand and his backstory is tailor made for a Cinderella story.

On the other hand, if you have the chance to book Ibushi/ZSJ, you do it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

he knows...

The CWC is already one of those best things that WWE has ever done. Mauro/Bryan is just the perfect team and they both sound so happy.

I'm happy too because I went 4/4 on my picks tonight. All you assholes doubted Hoho Lun.

Oh, and a hearty gently caress you to Cedric's pastor.

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

he knows...

keevo posted:

I kind of wish Neville was in this tournament.

I'm actually glad that nobody from the main roster or even a really established NXT guy is in the tournament. They would run the risk of overshadowing guys and it would also just remind everyone how bad WWE is at presenting their own talent.

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

he knows...

DancinBrud posted:

I've seen Daivari wrestle a bunch (the commentary got it right: he really is the biggest thing going in Minnesota) and he really had to slow it down to carry Lun. Hope he gets a chance to show what he can do against more experienced competition too.

Also, the sports-like presentation of the CWC prevented him from bringing his carpet to the top rope for his frog splash finisher, which: good, because that's always seemed like cheating in my book!

I wonder if he was paired with Hoho early because he is good and they gave him assurances that he'd get a solid look by WWE for doing good business.

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

he knows...

Showcase matches and a whole division are pretty different things. Scoop denied.

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

he knows...

Another week, another amazing show from this tournament.

TJP is so drat smooth in the ring. Doing the action figure head scissors from No Mery made me so happy.

Kenneth Johnson looked promising but the dude is green as hell and it showed. Shame that we will never see if he can be good because he is dead now. I shot up on my couch and yelled, "He killed that kid!" on the snap German. Just brutal.

Oh yeah, 8-0 on my picks so far without spoilers :smug:

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

he knows...

Slater looked very solid but his strikes were weak as gently caress, except maybe the leg kicks.

That said, Da Mack's palm strikes were also comically bad. He just made up for it by dancing.

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

he knows...

I love when people say no to WWE but I worry that ZSJ may not always have the WWE so hot to snatch him up. The sudden brand split made a big need for talent and if he waits too long, WWE might decide that they don't need a grapply English dude after all. I think he still gets signed after increasing his American presence, but it's definitely a calculated risk.

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

he knows...

Anthony Bennett impressed me the least out of maybe anyone so far in this tournament. At least Saez had the apron SSP.

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

he knows...

Brian Kendrick looked goddamn amazing and I hope that he comes back full time.

Glad that pirates of the open sea got some representation in the tournament too.

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

he knows...

Tonight we got the best match of the first round and definitely the worst match of the first round. Dar and Sihra had zero chemistry and it looked like part of the match may he be even been edited. I find myself completely unimpressed with Noam Dar and I hope that ZSJ turns him into a pretzel.

Jack Gallagher rules and I am glad that I now know of his greatness.

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

he knows...

I swear to all that is unholy that I did not cheat in the first round. I abhor all spoilers (I'm even avoiding the NXT thread until I can watch the episode from last night) and I just picked the obvious winners for most of the match ups. I figured Gargano would take it because Ciampa doesn't need the win as much after getting in so much offense on the current NXT champion.

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

he knows...

I couldn't GDT with all of you guys, but wrestling is cool and Cedric Alexander is also really cool. That brainbuster nearfall headkick combo was the best sequence I've seen in a long time in terms of brutality and logic. Glad they showed his post-match moment too.

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

he knows...

The difference between Saez and Cedric is that Saez cut weight whereas Cedric lost weight. Cutting water weight and not eating the week of a show would be detrimental to a performance but putting in the work well ahead of time to drop muscle mass would help agility.

Also, there is no way that the post-match would have aired if Alexander wasn't putting pen to paper on a contract.

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

he knows...

punchdaily posted:

The thing I liked about Tajiri/Metalik is that Tajiri puts so much weight into everything, so everything feels like it has more impact. Metalik seemed to get what Tajiri was going for right away too, and the match shined as a result. Any other show I think we'd be talking about this match more, but the main event sold me on both guys in the way the first round didn't.

I think Tajiri might be the best guy to get new cruiserweights used to WWE without losing what makes them standout.

Yeah I really liked how Metalik is known as a high flyer but the second Tajiri took the match to the ground, Metalik said, "Oh you wanna do this poo poo? Let me outgrapple half the guys in this tournament too."

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

he knows...

Nese had me worried but my bracket remains perfect :smug:

Hell of a show once again. Gallagher did seem to get too much offense but I see why. Hopefully Tozawa and Gran Metalik have a long match to just tear it up.

Dar looked better but I'm still not sold. Dude needs to quit kissing his wrist so often.

I loved the main event from the opening bell. Brian Kendrick is somehow my favorite thing in a tournament that has so many great guys because every match has the story set up before it even starts. Nese is a dynamo on offense and I could watch him beat the poo poo out of someone all day. I legit worried that he would win the match in the first 30 seconds with the how good he looked.

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

he knows...

spudsbuckley posted:

Bryan's commentary is starting to grate.

SHOUTING REALLY LOUD and simply saying what we've all just seen ("HE KICKED HIM IN THE HEAD!") repeatedly is not good.

Congrats on continuing your streak of bad opinions.

Lince Dorado does cool poo poo but something about him doesn't click with me. It seems like he is slow while doing fast-paced moves and smooth flying. I think it is something like that. Or it might just be the teeth.

Gulak/ZSJ was so good, especially with how much it stood out in the context of the tournament. Really glad they were matched up.

TJP broke my loving bracket but I can complain because that match was great. Poor Johnny got his knee broke and his psycho friend is going to turn on him :(

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

he knows...

Basic Chunnel posted:

I imagine he might not be that enthused by the story they're telling with Kendrick. It does kind of feel that TBK is holding back to better sell the desperate trickster angle, and it makes for a weird contrast with so many high spots and grappling clinics everywhere else. I think Kendrick directed the match beautifully and made Nese look great, but it wasn't that exciting.

Gonna disagree here. I thought that match was really exciting because TBK was just hanging on and trying to survive the all out blitz that Nese brought. Ibushi/Alexander aside, it probably had the best nearfalls of the tournament.

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

he knows...

Brian Kendrick's psychology was loving amazing this entire tournament and I hope that isn't the last we see of the tiny pirate.

CWC continues to be the best show in wrestling currently.

Edit: Nevermind I saw the end and that seems like a drat retirement segment. Godspeed, Spanky!

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

he knows...

dordreff posted:

He's already been announced as part of Raw's cruiserweight division.

Hell yes. gently caress all you youngsters. Bully chokes for everyone!

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

he knows...

I'd count it as a weekly show because we don't have a miniseries category it obviously shouldn't be in the PPV category. Game of Thrones only has 10 episodes in a season and it is still treated like a normal show in the Emmys. I don't see a huge difference here.

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

he knows...

oatgan posted:

it's not fair to judge holy foley without watching it so i think this weekend we should all binge watch it together as wwe suggests

I was looking for a reason to buy some new kicks and Nikes seem like a good choice for our mass suicide.

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

he knows...

Happy Happyist posted:

Post-match interview with Kendrick:

https://youtu.be/o8zrpiEYR54

I'm not crying, it's just been raining on my face.

gently caress all the flips, Brian Kendrick put on a masterclass in this tournament.

You could tell that his emotion was so real at the end and he probably did go into this tournament with the mindset that he needed to represent not just for himself but for Daniel Bryan too.

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

he knows...

Baby Babbeh posted:

If nothing else, I'm happy that the CWC reminded me of why I love Brian Kendrick. He's seriously about as good as it gets at basically all aspects of wrestling, and he's been gone for way too long.

The Hooliganz are probably one of the most underrated tag teams in WWE history. I can't imagine how much they would tear it up in the current tag scene.

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

he knows...

Tozawa is cool but gently caress Temecula and the rest of the Inland Empire. Antelope Valley for life!

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

he knows...

ZSJ is cool because he guides a sleigh for everyone to get presents.

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

he knows...

Both of my shoulders are out of their sockets now.

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

he knows...

That match loving owned but Dar needs to quit posing at any break in the action. It's a bit much. Probably a symptom of his age and hopefully he'll cool it as he matures.

I also hope that ZSJ's elbow is ok. I need him to win this for my bracket.

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

he knows...

Shawn Cotureier posted:

Why do people hate TJP

I hate him because he makes me feel a great inner conflict. I should support my pinoy brothers but gently caress that MRA poo poo.

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

he knows...

MOTHER FUCKER

TJ loving Perkins hates my bracket.

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

he knows...

Ibushi is going to murder TJP. Like they actually might need to bring a body bag.

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

he knows...

ZSJ and Metalik might put on the best match of the tournament after seeing how good Metalik's grappling was in the Tajiri match.

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

he knows...

CWC hunk power rankings:

1) Gargano
2) Ibushi [mouth closed]
3a) Tozawa
3b) ZSJ
4) Noam Dar

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

he knows...

yea ok posted:

My dick's always got room for the Spermgod.

Better stock up on zinc because Spermgod only likes real shooters.

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

he knows...

I thought it was starting early tonight and was bummed that I would have to skip the GDT for the show. It's a Wednesday miracle!

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

he knows...

checksin posted:

How did I not make the connection to the super j cup until now

Because this tournament didn't disappoint this year.

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

he knows...

That man in Bayley cosplay :stare:

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

he knows...

Here I was thinking they'd start slow with some grappling

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

he knows...

Welp, there goes my pick to win.

That match was all kinds of full bore madness and I loved it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

he knows...

Based on the brackets, it really seemed that Ibushi/ZSJ was inevitable.

Holy poo poo you get a medal just for making the finals. I love the CWC.

• Locked thread