Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
The best evidence he didn't do it is that the knife being used to cut limes / play the hand game was only as bloody as it had been before they had sex. The alternative explanation is that Naz uses that knife, cleans it just enough to still be a little bloody, places it back where it was originally, and then goes to get a drink of water from the fridge (all while blackout drunk). It's possible that they find another murder weapon, but if that knife is presumed to be the murder weapon, then it doesn't fit at all with what we know for a fact took place beforehand. Of course, the cops have no idea about that time before, and won't be inclined to believe Naz, so the above doesn't really help him in his present situation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

The knife that they were using wasn't soaked in blood, yet didn't have the blood from the knife game cleaned from it, so it's looking like there was a separate murder weapon, but man, Nas pretty much covered the bases in all the little ways he could to gently caress himself with this case. Should've taken her to the hospital to get some stitches for that hand.

I was kind of shocked at how clean he was after the sex. From that open wound on her hand, I would've figured there'd be blood all over the place, and especially all over him, so he had to have taken a shower at some point, which is probably right before we see him sitting at the kitchen counter drinking the water.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

The only thing going for him is that they constantly mention that the blade used to kill her may have been serrated. The knife Naz took with him isn't, unless my vision sucks.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
I'd have to go back and check but I thought it was 'possibly serrated.' Probably won't know for sure until the autopsy is done.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Jose Oquendo posted:

I'd have to go back and check but I thought it was 'possibly serrated.' Probably won't know for sure until the autopsy is done.

That's what I meant. If it comes back that it was serrated then that will cause a bit of an issue, if the Lawyer is any good at his job.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Max posted:

That's what I meant. If it comes back that it was serrated then that will cause a bit of an issue, if the Lawyer is any good at his job.

I misunderstood you too! It's fun piecing all this together to figure out what's going on or what might happen.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Jose Oquendo posted:

I misunderstood you too! It's fun piecing all this together to figure out what's going on or what might happen.

Definitely. They set up so many possibilities, I'm wondering what will pay off and what was just there for one scene.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Professor Funk posted:

Something I hadn't really thought of before was how much of a clusterfuck these nights are for the shift cops that are responsible for bringing people in. For example, those two cops who originally pulled Naz over had to work an extra 6 hours by the time they were writing up the details of the event, and just wanted to get the hell out of there. That's important because that information is going to be a part of the record in court, and if paperwork is lazily completed, it could be just another thing that works against the defendant.

Can't wait for next episode.

I think this might be important. There was an insert to the officer's report on her computer screen as she was writing it up. Nothing in particular jumped out at me yet though.

Broken chain of evidence + racist eyewitness + neighbor stating the person who broke into the apt could have been white or hispanic v. Naz' blood in the front entrance window + prints on the knife (though I think this is a different weapon than what actually killed her, though it was used by the victim to cut her own hand during the game).

Hmmmm. Enough to convict probs, unless Turturro really works his rear end off.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

People have been convicted with far less. Naz is completely hosed at this moment, though we obviously will see more.

The saddest part of this whole episode (aside from Andrea dying. I've noticed a lot of reviews mention that this is Naz's worst night of his life while gliding over the fact that, you know, it was Andrea's worst night as well) was watching Box and other police come at Naz as if they only had his best interest at heart while trying to get a confession out of him any way they could. It wasn't until Turturro's character showed up that we got to see someone actually looking out for Naz.

Max fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Jul 11, 2016

steakmancer
May 18, 2010

by Lowtax
Good opening episode. Liked The Jesus taking up Nasir's case assuming it was some misdemeanor and immediately regretting it.

The cat crossing the street in the ending shot was unnecessary

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Good episode, my friend and I were convinced that Bodie's friend will turn out to be the killer or at least a key component since the camera did a weird focus on him after they had the little squabble when they first meet. I really hope they don't do that though.

The show was maybe a bit too on the nose with some of its symbolism (like the weird undertaker guy), but when it got to the lockup it had a real strong stylistic vibe going.

objects in mirror
Apr 9, 2016

by Shine

steakmancer posted:

The cat crossing the street in the ending shot was unnecessary

Why?

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
I really liked this pilot, especially the tone and and style. The mystery of the case is presented well and it reminds me of The Killing except with the focus on the perpetrator and not the victim.

But.

Andrea was one of the worst examples of the Manic Pixie Dream Girl I've ever seen. She bursts into the life of an uptight and repressed dude, pulls him into the evening of risk and debauchery he wishes he could have every day but can't allow himself to experience, immediately sleeps with him and then gets pushed out of the plot in the most final way possible so that the story can focus on his experience and his problems. I'm very glad I kept watching after that first half hour but those 30 minutes made me really mad.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Rarity posted:

I really liked this pilot, especially the tone and and style. The mystery of the case is presented well and it reminds me of The Killing except with the focus on the perpetrator and not the victim.

But.

Andrea was one of the worst examples of the Manic Pixie Dream Girl I've ever seen. She bursts into the life of an uptight and repressed dude, pulls him into the evening of risk and debauchery he wishes he could have every day but can't allow himself to experience, immediately sleeps with him and then gets pushed out of the plot in the most final way possible so that the story can focus on his experience and his problems. I'm very glad I kept watching after that first half hour but those 30 minutes made me really mad.

Yeah I'm kinda hoping we get more from her character in flashbacks or something, because she was the thinnest character in the pilot, in terms of characterization.

IMB
Jan 8, 2005
How does an asshole like Bob get such a great kitchen?
The character who was murdered 30 minutes into the pilot was thin, who would have thought

Max
Nov 30, 2002

But tell us how you really feel.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!
I love those last few moments when Naz tells his dad that they have him for murder, and his dad drops the phone and runs. And the car's gone. And he can't help his son. You can just feel the anxiety and fear he's experiencing.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Boywhiz88 posted:

I love those last few moments when Naz tells his dad that they have him for murder, and his dad drops the phone and runs. And the car's gone. And he can't help his son. You can just feel the anxiety and fear he's experiencing.

I imagine we're going to get some financial plot stuff, since the car is technically a crime scene, his father is going to have problems coming up with the money for Turturro's character.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
The show's never going to tell us for sure whether Naz really did it or not, is it?

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

General Dog posted:

The show's never going to tell us for sure whether Naz really did it or not, is it?

This isn't Serial. It's fiction, surely they wouldn't do this.

It could very easily go down the "he was innocent but got screwed over and convicted" or the "he was actually guilty but got away with it" route though.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

So long as they don't pull a Murder One and go,"Oh hey I just realized there is probably a video-tape of the crime!" and wrap everything up in 5 minutes.

White Rabbit
Sep 8, 2004

We Do Not Sow.
In these kind of series the showrunners want to leave a lasting impression and have some sort of social relevance / message for the viewership. I'm thinking the worst outcome might be the best way to do that, make this really tragic, like some of the Wire (season 2 & 4 characters) for example.

So the worst outcome for Naz might be to be convicted despite Turturro kicking rear end and lining up evidence on why he couldnt have killed the girl. But since I hope the show will also provide resolution on why she was murdered, I figure the worst outcome is that they can present the actual murderer to the jury but they turn to Naz anyway because he's an Arab youth in America. :911:

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

I think Naz did it

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
I'm probably gonna force my parents to watch this on the weekend as Crime Dramas/Mysteries is the one thing they like that is good. There has been a couple of people in this thread that did the same with the Wives/Parents, should I give them the 2 line plot synopsis or show it to them cold? I'm not sure how the opening 30mins would play if you didn't know the crux of the show going in.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

We did that with my sister in law. The title sequence gives away that something is going to happen.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
I wonder how the off kilter darkness of the pilot will be utilized in the rest of the season when it starts to move into the courtroom.

stoops
Jun 11, 2001
I want to know what drug the girl took to withstand pain. PCP?

Argyle
Jun 7, 2001

Fantastic first episode. I'm 100% hooked.

Things I can't stop thinking about :

• Motorcyle Guy (Gal?) who seemed very interested in Naz.

• Andrea's driver's license had a motorcycle certification (Could be nothing, but this feels like the kind of show where EVERYTHING is deliberate)

• Possible jealous lover angle: Naz jokingly asks if she has a girlfriend. Her response: "Would that turn you on?"

• Back door was open

• No blood on Naz when he wakes up.

• Naz finds the knife (as far as I can tell) in the exact same spot he left it when the makeout started. We don't really have a shot of where he put it down initially, but he finds it right where he was sitting on the couch.

• OMINOUS DEER HEAD

• Nosy Neighbor's observations of Naz don't necessarily give him enough time to commit the murder

• Suspicious look back from totally-not-a-drug-dealer's friend when they go into the brownstone

Sunday can't come soon enough.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

the system is going to Let Naz Down

anyway, the first episode was excellent. I really do believe that even though Jack is in tremendous poo poo, he'll get Naz off the hook, but Naz will forever be a different person and may never adjust to normal society again :smith:

ozza
Oct 23, 2008

Enjoyed the first ep. Hopefully the Gandolfini parts of the pilot turn up somewhere eventually.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Argyle posted:

Fantastic first episode. I'm 100% hooked.

Things I can't stop thinking about :

• Motorcyle Guy (Gal?) who seemed very interested in Naz.

I dont remember this part. When was it?

Max
Nov 30, 2002

A dude on a motorcycle pulls up next to Naz after he's left Andrea's place. He keeps looking over to Naz.

It's actually an important moment, since the knife is sitting on the dashboard. Naz gets obviously worried, and grabs the knife to stuff it into his jacket, which is probably THE thing that hosed him when he was at the police station. If they hadn't found it on him, he probably would have walked out of there.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

poo poo i completely missed that. Better watch the ep again.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Hakkesshu posted:

Good episode, my friend and I were convinced that Bodie's friend will turn out to be the killer or at least a key component since the camera did a weird focus on him after they had the little squabble when they first meet. I really hope they don't do that though.

That was definitely a red herring for people who were paying attention.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
They're not going to find the real killer.

The system will work, and Naz will maintain his innocence successfully, after good police work is done and legal procedure is followed in a competent manner.

bahahahahahahahahhahahahahah

AKA Pseudonym
May 16, 2004

A dashing and sophisticated young man
Doctor Rope

Max posted:

A dude on a motorcycle pulls up next to Naz after he's left Andrea's place. He keeps looking over to Naz.

It's actually an important moment, since the knife is sitting on the dashboard. Naz gets obviously worried, and grabs the knife to stuff it into his jacket, which is probably THE thing that hosed him when he was at the police station. If they hadn't found it on him, he probably would have walked out of there.

There was a parking ticket on the cab when he ran out. If the police decided that was worth checking out I can see that leading to them taking DNA and him getting hosed anyway.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

That would only have proven the cab was there, not that he was in the cab driving. They would have maybe gotten him eventually, but it would take a while, assuming there is any communication at all between the ticketing authority and homicide. As for his DNA, if he was never arrested for anything in the past, they wouldn't have gotten a hit on him. Though it would come up if he ever got arrested in the future.

Basically, he could have gone home that night and prepared himself better once the police came knocking for the Andrea case, which would have been better for him.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Max posted:

I guess it could pay off later, but I took it more to signify how paranoid Naz was at the moment.

AKA Pseudonym
May 16, 2004

A dashing and sophisticated young man
Doctor Rope

Max posted:

That would only have proven the cab was there, not that he was in the cab driving. They would have maybe gotten him eventually, but it would take a while, assuming there is any communication at all between the ticketing authority and homicide. As for his DNA, if he was never arrested for anything in the past, they wouldn't have gotten a hit on him. Though it would come up if he ever got arrested in the future.

Basically, he could have gone home that night and prepared himself better once the police came knocking for the Andrea case, which would have been better for him.

If they went to his father about why his cab was in Manhattan that night red flags might start going up. Enough that they'd collect DNA from Naz and link him back to the scene maybe. That's more less where I thought it was going when he grabbed the ticket. It's more or less how they caught Son of Sam.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Argyle
Jun 7, 2001

General Dog posted:

I guess it could pay off later, but I took it more to signify how paranoid Naz was at the moment.

Yeah, it's only been one episode, so for all we know Naz really did do it and everything else is a red herring. I started paying attention to motorcycle stuff because (1) Andrea had a motorcycle certification on her license, (2) There was a [url=http://i.imgur.com/zqSjBSX.jpg] covered motorcycle parked outside of her place (sorry for small size, not my picture) and (3) motorcycle guy/gal who stares at him during his getaway.

Obviously, 1 and 2 could be nothing, because she probably just owns a motorcycle. The motorcycle guy scene could just be there to make a paranoid Naz put the knife in his pocket.

It's probably nothing, but WHAT IF IT'S NOT NOTHING :lost:

• Locked thread