Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Stare-Out posted:

This is a pretty good show with some clunky moments here and there, the scene with the cat being taken past the dog cages felt forced especially with the long zoom in on Turturro. Get it? Eh? Naz is like the cat?

Still, one of the better shows around currently.

He'd better go back and get that cat! :mad:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
I wonder if the cat being found outside the house will be a clue that the victim left the back door open. It really seems gloomy for Nas

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Pron on VHS posted:

I wonder if the cat being found outside the house will be a clue that the victim left the back door open. It really seems gloomy for Nas

Stone is definitely connecting the dots.

Also, it looks like the "back door" actually goes out onto the street? :confused:

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

I wish Naz had a job. They're hinting about it but I wish they'd go into just how much something like this can decimate lives around you. Naz would lose whatever job he had, the cab owners go bankrupt, his parents mortgage and lose his house. He's free but the reality is his life and the lives of everyone around him are ruined.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!
He does. He's a tutor for the basketball team or whatever. Probably as part of work-study program.

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal

Professor Shark posted:

Stone is definitely connecting the dots.

Is he? I hope, but I couldn't tell.

Max posted:

In general, the family's naivete is a little tiresome to watch, in terms of how to interact with the police (re: don't.)

To be fair to the family, dealing with police in Pakistan is a very, very, different process (re: do) than in the US

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
I don't understand why Stone doesn't just Crisco his feet up, saran wrap them, and then put 3x-oversized Payless generic black shoes on over. You can't be worried about airing your feet out if they are saran-wrapped, maybe it's too painful to have shoes on I dunno

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Pron on VHS posted:

I don't understand why Stone doesn't just Crisco his feet up, saran wrap them, and then put 3x-oversized Payless generic black shoes on over. You can't be worried about airing your feet out if they are saran-wrapped, maybe it's too painful to have shoes on I dunno

Because the writers really think this is the funniest joke ever even when it makes no sense and you will pay heed to your god. :colbert:

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Pron on VHS posted:

Is he? I hope, but I couldn't tell.

To be fair to the family, dealing with police in Pakistan is a very, very, different process (re: do) than in the US

Yeah, I do get that, and it is pretty realistic to have a family be completely unprepared for this type of scenario.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Just now got a chance to watch the pilot, so not reading the last couple of pages. And holy poo poo,
a) What a great episode. I only knew there was going to be some kind of murder but the show did an amazing job building up to it and following up too..
b) Naz is so, so hosed. Like, can't possibly be hosed any more than he is even if he actually did it. Which I think is entirely possible, like Adnan lol.
c) Oh poo poo it's Ben, and he looks just as depressed as always!

For now it's impressive how comprehensively the show painted him into a corner, with very few possible outs. Obviously something new has to come up otherwise even his father would say that he totally did it and there would be no show. But the idea that he actually did stab her but it was consensual and only in the hand is going to be a very tough sell. And the knife (possibly) not matching isn't going to save him either - maybe he managed to get rid of it before coming back to pick up the other knife, which would be consistent with the witness statement.

The best bet right now seem to be the racist witness lying about his buddy, as it should be trivial to discover the discrepancy there. If the cops wanted to, that is. Maybe there are signs of entry at the back door that we weren't shown yet, or the cat saw someone come in. Luckily I'll be able to watch the second episode tomorrow so some of these point may get addressed.

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

I SUPPORT ALL THE PREDATORS
"This toxicology report shows several intoxicants and... a surprising amount of eczema cream."

"Wait... Eczema?"

"Yes. Eczema cream. For eczema."

"I know a guy with eczema."

"That's too bad. I can recommend a support group?"

"...he has eczema. And there was eczema cream at the scene of the crime..."

"It's really quite a debilitating skin disease."

"...and he was at the jail when the kid was there. That never did add up..."

"Oh, we also dusted that cat for finger prints..."

"...of course. John Stone knew the girl from all of the shady street characters he represents. He overheard that there was a hit on her. So he waited. And he set up the most elaborate frame on the kid. And then... He was just too greedy. He just had to go to the jail. He just had to bilk money from the kid's family all while putting together a shoddy defense of a crime the kid didn't do. Just sitting there in court, scratching his disgusting feet with a knowing look..."

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

Stone's foot problems look like they serve two purposes. One, it shows how absolutely bleak his life is. There's the hussle, a weekend or two a month with his kid and a support group of people who marginally qualify as friends. I think we're meant to infer that is the totality of his life, it's a sad and somewhat hopeless thing. I think it's also a very literal metaphor, if there is such a thing, for trench foot. He's a gutter fighter, who's been slinging in the muck for so long it shows on his body. There are no high minded ethics, no noble cause, dude just loving loves to scrap in the shittiest places imaginable. Maybe he could have done better, maybe that's just the hand he was dealt, but you can tell he enjoys his time with transvestite hookers and drug dealers. There's a real bond that he shares with those he defends, the other castaways who stick it out in societies trenches every day. I can see why people think it drags on, but I find those scenes humanizing.

As for the cat, I don't think it has to do with the door being left open or closed. I think Stone's wheels were spinning with a singular thought, 'Who politely asks their would be murder-rapist if they can let the cat out before the killing begins?' There was something to the look in his eyes that made me think it was the first time he had actually considered that Naz might actually be innocent.

Jean Eric Burn
Nov 10, 2007

In the British reversion (reiterating that I didn't even see the ending, don't know whodunit in that version). The victim only had one single stab wound to the boob instead of the crazy brutal mess,.

The Cab repo plotline didn't exist in the British version either as I remember.

The prison plot-lines appear to be way different between to the two versions.

Also no issue of money in the other version, maybe just the way the system works over there. Funny wigs and all.

Still not sure why HBO picked this up, seems good but just basic cable good so far, but there's probably a reason it;s on HBO and there's some cleverness in the chamber.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
Whilst I've appreciated the slow deliberate plot so far, I'd really like them to get stuck into the actual case a bit more. It's going to be episode 4 next week and the kids (ex) lawyer still doesn't even know the entirety of the case that the state is bringing against his client. Considering a show like Making a Murderer or Serial can be a compelling 10 part show all about the court room drama, it makes me said that this 8? part show hasn't even got to the courtroom yet and we've already seen 3 episodes.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

WRT Stone's eczema, it's not out of the realm of reason for a person to attend a support group for it. My best friend whom I grew up with has severe eczema across his face and neck which've scarred badly over the years. Even though we're now in our 30s, he's still really reserved about it due to the fact that the blisters ooze and look awful until his flareup is done.

Stone's eczema on the show is nothing by comparison and you can look up examples on Google showing how bad it gets. It really can consume your life and sense of self image.

White Rabbit
Sep 8, 2004

We Do Not Sow.
Right but on one hand we have this seriously relatable kid having to deal wih life and death decisions in a prison setting, and on the other we have John Turturro's saran wrapped feet in close-up.

I'm sure his character development isn't wasted and we'll see it make sense dramatically later, but considering how removed he is from 'plot A' now that the family put him off the case this is as much as I care about 'Eczema plot'.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
After finally catching up, I have to say that the last two episodes were quite disappointing (but not bad, just in context). So much time was spent on Turturro's gross feet that even Tarantino would disapprove, and gently caress all happened otherwise. Not literally of course, but all the prison stuff was pretty mundane and outside stuff didn't make up for it much.

I mostly blame the premiere for setting an almost surreal tone and maintaining tension throughout the hour in a way that these two episodes do not, and come off pretty ordinary as a result. Anyway, let's see what happens next, I'm still definitely on board.

Argyle
Jun 7, 2001

mobby_6kl posted:

I mostly blame the premiere for setting an almost surreal tone and maintaining tension throughout the hour in a way that these two episodes do not, and come off pretty ordinary as a result. Anyway, let's see what happens next, I'm still definitely on board.

Yeah, the premiere makes it feel like they're setting up a whodunit, but I have a feeling that's not what this show is about. The show is about the lovely machine that is the criminal justice system, and how many ways a person -- innocent or not -- can get hosed.

Going forward, I'm going to try watch without having the whodunit aspect in the front of my mind. I mean, to Naz, at this very moment, the identity of the real murder isn't important. He has more urgent issues at hand, like having his prison bed set on fire.

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

He does have both Kern and Omar Little in his corner, that boy is gonna be just fine.

I'm kind of amazed Riker's can even contain them.

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

I'd like to know what Omar's character wants in return for his protection. Maybe to get dudes parents to smuggle poo poo in for him? I doubt they would go for something like that, especially after his moms search scene.

El Jeffe
Dec 24, 2009

empty baggie posted:

I'd like to know what Omar's character wants in return for his protection. Maybe to get dudes parents to smuggle poo poo in for him? I doubt they would go for something like that, especially after his moms search scene.

My first thought was sex but then I remembered that he's got that covered with the lady guard.

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

El Jeffe posted:

My first thought was sex but then I remembered that he's got that covered with the lady guard.

That crossed my mind as well, but that seemed too obvious of a trope for this show, especially considering the lady guard.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

empty baggie posted:

I think it's the same type of fascination his new lawyer has. There's something inherently good and altruistic he his getting through helping, so he is helping.

I agree that this episode was slower and not as tense as the prior episodes, but I think it is being used as a character development placeholder. It was all very well done in that regard.

gently caress it would be loving terrifying to go to prison.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

jfood posted:

He does have both Kern and Omar Little in his corner, that boy is gonna be just fine.

I'm kind of amazed Riker's can even contain them.

Holy poo poo i forgot they both have the same last name. Omar a 1-9er

El Jeffe
Dec 24, 2009

Oh thank god, Stone is investigating after all

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Loved that shot of the nun.

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

WE ALL KNOW WHAT NEEDS TO HAPPEN
This episode has felt a little weaker than the first three to me thus far and I can't quite fingerprint why.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

More Saran Wrap in this episode than there is actual content.

El Jeffe
Dec 24, 2009

Professor Funk posted:

This episode has felt a little weaker than the first three to me thus far and I can't quite fingerprint why.

Weird, I'm the opposite. The previous ep was had me losing the show a little, but now I'm hyped that Stone is investigating on the side.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
No more mickey mouse medicine. Now go bathe in some bleach.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

I feel like a lot more is happening this episode. It's good.

Also, Jesus Nas, just accept the protection.

El Jeffe
Dec 24, 2009

wow gently caress this lady

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Hey, Nas, your neighbor is crazy and doesn't like dudes that hurt women.

El Jeffe
Dec 24, 2009

Don't do it Naz!

edit: gently caress yeah

El Jeffe fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Aug 1, 2016

El Jeffe
Dec 24, 2009

Max posted:

Hey, Nas, your neighbor is crazy and doesn't like dudes that hurt women.

nice

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

:stonk:

Mostly Lurking
Sep 25, 2008
If he's getting attacked in prison with the media eyes on the trial, couldn't he easily get sent to an area with more protection? Your prisoner being obviously injured in your custody would make the state look quite lovely.

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

Mostly Lurking posted:

If he's getting attacked in prison with the media eyes on the trial, couldn't he easily get sent to an area with more protection? Your prisoner being obviously injured in your custody would make the state look quite lovely.

Scenes from next episode spoilers: it looks like he gets his own room.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Yeah, saw that coming.

Anyway, it was good to see Nas finally make a good decision or two.

It's funny, I was talking with someone as the episode was going along, and mentioned that the crazy dude was just giving him the same advice you hear in every schlocky piece of media about prison, and how I thought the writers were better then that. Then he pulled out that photo of his dead niece he keeps under his pillow and it kinda clicked that Nas shouldn't be taking advice from that guy.

Good dichotomy of learning to listen to who's talking to him, both inside and out of jail.

Max fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Aug 1, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

The dude that attacked Naz looks like the black cop from The Shield and I couldn't place why that couldn't be him....

Until I realized the actor is legit in prison for killing his wife.

• Locked thread