Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Swartz
Jul 28, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

So, I'm a VT resident who thought it would be cool to own an Arsenal SLR104 rifle before stuff like this gets banned (which is my prediction).

Anyway, in the state of Vermont, they did something really stupid around a year or so ago: they issued this thing called "Driver's Privilege Cards". What the hell is a privilege card? Well, like over 50% of VT residents that signed up for these stupid things at the DMV, I could not find my birth certificate at the time to present to the DMV. I was told "no problem, we can instead issue you a Driver Privilege card, which is a valid form of photo ID". What they did not tell me, is two things:
1) They are not recognized by other states for the most part and I can't do something like say, board a plane, starting real soon, until I have a proper license.
2) These cards were issued in the hopes of letting migrant workers, with no U.S. identification, to be able to drive. What a brilliant idea...

Anyway, fast forward to today. I was told my SLR104 has arrived at the nearest gun shop to me in NH.

The problem is I cannot yet pick up my nice new rifle. I told the representative at the shop that I had a drivers privilege card and he told me he's never even heard of them before.

So, to make a long story short, I do have my birth certificate so that I can go and get my driver's license on Monday, but unfortunately, apparently I lost my social security card. Obviously, I need that to identify myself to the DMV to get the license, in order to get the rifle.

I don't expect the gun shop would ever believe me if I told them this, and I'm not expecting them to sell me a firearm without a valid ID.

My question is this: Could I get in any kind of legal trouble for ordering a gun, quite stupidly, before I had proper ID to even go and pick it up?

I'm hoping the worst case scenario is they sell the gun to someone else and at least give me a partial refund, if that's even possible.

Maybe I'm freaking out over nothing, I'm just worried about somehow getting in trouble over this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sky shark
Jun 9, 2004

CHILD RAPE IS FINE WHEN I LIKE THE RAPIST

Nope, don't worry about it. Be up front with the shop, and heck, I'd give them some cash as earnest money so you don't look like a dickhead for not having your poo poo together, but as long as you aren't lying on a 4473 you shouldn't have an issue.

Swartz
Jul 28, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

sky shark posted:

Nope, don't worry about it. Be up front with the shop, and heck, I'd give them some cash as earnest money so you don't look like a dickhead for not having your poo poo together, but as long as you aren't lying on a 4473 you shouldn't have an issue.

Yeah, I'm not lying, I'm a legal resident and have no record, etc.

I'm going to clean out my car and room in the morning and hope I find my ss card then as I definitely had it not that long ago. And yeah I would definitely pay them for being a putz.

Soupisgood
Dec 5, 2012

Swartz posted:

Yeah, I'm not lying, I'm a legal resident and have no record, etc.

I'm going to clean out my car and room in the morning and hope I find my ss card then as I definitely had it not that long ago. And yeah I would definitely pay them for being a putz.

Pay them by buying ammo, then everyone wins.

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

Loaded up and trucking.We gonna do what they say cant be done.

You shouldn't have any issue with picking the gun up with the state legal ID. Here they didn't do that, they just added a GOLD STAR to your license if you made it REALID® so you can board airplanes and poo poo with it.

Swartz
Jul 28, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Thanks guys.

This has sorta been resolved. I found a W-2 from the end of last year when I worked (I'm disabled now), and according to the VT DMV I can indeed use my W2 in place of my social security card to get the oh-so-precious RealID :P

So, looks like I'll be getting my awesome SLR104 on Monday then I'd do a Box thread but all I have is my lovely old-rear end phone camera.

@Soupisgood: I already have plenty of 5.45 ammo at the moment, unless they happen to have some genuine Soviet military-grade ammo, in which case I may pick up more.

@InterceptorV8: This guy didn't even know what the ID was that I was talking about. Also, I received an email from the shop a little while ago stating they'd hold onto the rifle for as long as needed until I get a proper license with my current address (should have added that: my ID has an old address on it).

So, no longer any worries.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SealHammer
Jul 3, 2010
Click to understand my bad faith posting.

Have you considered checking your privilege, OP?

• Locked thread