Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
magimix
Dec 31, 2003

MY FAT WAIFU!!! :love:
She's fetish efficient :3:

Nap Ghost

Digirat posted:

Dishonored 1 takes vastly different amounts of time to play through depending on how much you care about stealth and explore the levels fully vs just murderbrawl your way through

Yeah, I think the span of my own playthrough-lengths runs from 6 hours to 24 hours (DLC not factored in, on that high-end, either).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Digirat posted:

Dishonored 1 takes vastly different amounts of time to play through depending on how much you care about stealth and explore the levels fully vs just murderbrawl your way through

Oh sure, but even taking my time with each of the levels... its just a handful. And they're not quite as replayable for me as the levels in, say, Hitman.

I snuck through each level and went for low-chaos my first run, and even then when I got to the last level I was saying "that's it?".

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004

Digirat posted:

Steam tells me I have 80 hours in DS1, which includes 1 ea. low chaos and high chaos run of the main campaign, and a high chaos run of the DLC.

Argh I will probably just get this game and again put off dealing with my monstrous backlog.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

MMF Freeway posted:

I found it very re-playable as well, but definitely do agree that the dlc was a welcome addition to the length. IIRC it got some early flak for being short because someone blasted through it in a few hours right before release which I thought was incredibly stupid.

Yup. There was a bunch of drama because someone blinked their way through it in 3 hours which apparently meant the game was objectively 3 hours long and therefore a ripoff according to the internet. It was really stupid.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
i have 105 hours on dishonored 1

gently caress.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

60 Gigs? Welp, see you all in December when my Australian internet finishes downloading this. :smith: I don't buy all too many modern PC games, is this likely another Titanfall thing where all of the assets are completely uncompressed or is this just the standard size of AAA games now?

AlphaKretin fucked around with this message at 13:43 on Nov 3, 2016

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

AlphaKretin posted:

60 Gigs? Welp, see you all in December when my Australian internet finishes downloading this. :smith: I don't buy all too many modern PC games, is this likely another Titnalfall thing where all of the assets are completely uncompressed or is this just the standard size of AAA games now?

Both, probably. People have gotten used to this now so why go through the extra effort of compressing stuff?

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

That's max required disk space, which is going to be substantially bigger than the download itself

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

DoctorStrangelove posted:

The engine is idTech5, basically what The New Order was running on. They've probably made some small updates but the performance should be comparable to TNO. Unless someone hosed up somewhere.

I hope so. Already was disappointed this year with how lovely DX:MD seemed to run on PS4 at various junctures. I'd be crushed if this ran like poo poo on consoles.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
Do all pre-orders get the game early or only the collectors edition? Sorry if this has been answered, phone is about to die or I'd check.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

PantsBandit posted:

Do all pre-orders get the game early or only the collectors edition? Sorry if this has been answered, phone is about to die or I'd check.

All pre-orders.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I ordered through Cdkeys after I had a good experience buying through them for DXMD. Do you suppose I'll still get the game on the 10th or will there be some kind of delay? I haven't seen anything do a day early bonus before.

Asbury
Mar 23, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
Hair Elf
There's a pretty flaccid ama with Harvey Smith over on Reddit: https://www.reddit.com/r/dishonored/comments/5ax8f1/hello_im_harvey_smith_dishonored_2_ama/

Mostly inane questions, but one or two good answers.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
So the system specs are out, anyone able to hazard a guess as to how conservative they're being? Like, in the past few years I've learned that both the recommended and minimum specs can vary wildly in how accurate they are. I've had games that I was apparently well below the recommended specs run perfectly on ultra at 60 fps and then I've had stuff like Just Cause 3 just run like poo poo on low even though I was way above the minimum, suppose it's all down to the optimisation and no one will know until release now (unless a youtube superstar has spilled everything already). Just really hoping my PC can run it at some reasonable level, my PS4 is full of games I'm actually playing right now and I don't really want to delete any of them to make space for this.

Also, those questions fully inform me that I could never do anything like that. All my answers to those sorts of questions would be complete horseshit I've clearly pulled from my rear end on the spot, or I'd just say "who the gently caress knows?" to stuff like "What is the gold piping on Emily's outfit made of?".

thebardyspoon fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Nov 7, 2016

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

3Romeo posted:

There's a pretty flaccid ama with Harvey Smith over on Reddit: https://www.reddit.com/r/dishonored/comments/5ax8f1/hello_im_harvey_smith_dishonored_2_ama/

You weren't joking, a lot of those questions are terrible.

I finished dishonored 1 in high chaos, really enjoyed how different it was in both subtle and not-so-subtle ways. you can clearly see your actions influencing emily's mindset when she says "if someone killed my mother, and someone killed the high regent, then when I'm empress, how will I stop someone from killing me?" Samuel's last condemnation really stung too.

Now I'm trying to finish the DLCs before dishonored 2 comes out because I never played them for some reason. The knife of dunwall is quite good so far, and it's got several new options for low chaos which is great and makes me hopeful that dishonored 2 will make low chaos just as well fleshed out as high chaos.

Owl Inspector fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Nov 7, 2016

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I shot samuel straight in the face on my first run after he started scolding me the first time I played. Ended up having to swim to the last mission.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Digirat posted:

Now I'm trying to finish the DLCs before dishonored 2 comes out because I never played them for some reason. The knife of dunwall is quite good so far, and it's got several new options for low chaos which is great and makes me hopeful that dishonored 2 will make low chaos just as well fleshed out as high chaos.

there's been a couple of flashes of low-chaos combat in the preview videos, which is nice. one of the biggest frustrations i had while playing particularly the Daud DLCs in the LP was that if someone spotted me, I couldn't stun the guy with something like a goomba stomp, and then just punch his lights out while he was recovering. it as basically use some sort of consumable (like a sleep dart) or stab time.

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

veni veni veni posted:

I shot samuel straight in the face on my first run after he started scolding me the first time I played. Ended up having to swim to the last mission.

That's a thing you can do? Neat.

I'd heard about the "high-chaos" last mission where Samuel alerts the entire island, but I guess my high-chaos wasn't high-chaosy enough? He just told me he didn't want to see me again. :(

I did a replay of both the game and DLC, doing them the opposite way that I did them the first time around: High-chaos main-game, low-chaos DLC. The both the main game and DLC definitely feel harder when going for the high chaos approach. Delilah's manor was a cake-walk on low chaos, so fewer bone-puppies.

Snuffman fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Nov 7, 2016

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

veni veni veni posted:

I did the same thing after he shot a flare to warn the guards and I was trying my best not to kill everyone but still ended up high chaos as I wasn't save scumming or anything.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

thebardyspoon posted:

Also, those questions fully inform me that I could never do anything like that. All my answers to those sorts of questions would be complete horseshit I've clearly pulled from my rear end on the spot, or I'd just say "who the gently caress knows?" to stuff like "What is the gold piping on Emily's outfit made of?".

yeah I had to stop reading after someone asked him if Jessamine cried after giving birth to Emily

like who the gently caress cares

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Yeah I am also in the crowd that fired a parting shot at Samuel when he let off the flare. If he hadn't done that I would've let him live! You say I'm the 'worst of all of em', I'll show you 'worst' buddy! <:mad:>

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

If you shot samuel, the one guy who risked his life to save yours, with anything other than a sleep dart then you are proving him right

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

Digirat posted:

If you shot samuel, the one guy who risked his life to save yours, with anything other than a sleep dart then you are proving him right

Hmm, can you fill his boat with rats

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Digirat posted:

Good! Dishonored is great for not feeling bad about being a homicidal maniac! The whole world sucks, I don't mind if I suck too.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I didn't even know he shot off a warning flare I just didn't like his tone. He was dead the second he called me an a hole.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

veni veni veni posted:

I didn't even know he shot off a warning flare I just didn't like his tone. He was dead the second he called me an a hole.

Same. Don't want to disappoint him, after all.

Zyste
Jan 8, 2002

"Do you want this back?"

thebardyspoon posted:

So the system specs are out, anyone able to hazard a guess as to how conservative they're being? Like, in the past few years I've learned that both the recommended and minimum specs can vary wildly in how accurate they are. I've had games that I was apparently well below the recommended specs run perfectly on ultra at 60 fps and then I've had stuff like Just Cause 3 just run like poo poo on low even though I was way above the minimum, suppose it's all down to the optimisation and no one will know until release now (unless a youtube superstar has spilled everything already). Just really hoping my PC can run it at some reasonable level, my PS4 is full of games I'm actually playing right now and I don't really want to delete any of them to make space for this.
Hard to say right now. My general experience has been that the minimum specs are overstated on most modern games. (1) Because they don't want people to run it on lower specs and then bitch about how laggy/awful the game is. And (2) there's always a push to get PC gamers to buy newer hardware.

I'm going to try and run it on my current system and see if my Phenom II X6 can still keep up after 4 years. But this might be the game that makes me say goodbye to it.

Meatwolfe
Oct 31, 2011
The ps4 pre load is up.

Mung Dynasty
Jul 19, 2003

Why do the peasants slave while the emperor gets to eat all the mung?!

Digirat posted:

I mean, he is right. So I shot him.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

3Romeo posted:

Honestly, if you ever have questions that matter, just tweet at Harvey Smith. dude has answered literally all my questions, he's pretty chill and is good about communicating with fans.

I'm wondering if my amazon pre-order comes on the 10th or not. in my experience preordered games usually get here quick, except for nintendo games which go through 9 circles of hell for some reason

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Digirat posted:

Uh, yeah, that's why I did it. Dishonored has one of the better "unrepentant rear end in a top hat" gameplay in awhile.

e: vvvvv Also that. Both outcomes end up very satisfying in general.

Ravenfood fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Nov 8, 2016

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Yeah might as well go whole hog if you are doing high chaos.

I played low chaos last time and we broed down and Samuel told me what a cool dude I was.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

veni veni veni posted:

Yeah might as well go whole hog if you are doing high chaos.

I played low chaos last time and we broed down and Samuel told me what a cool dude I was.

And corvo doesn't forget him after he goes all high society at the end of the game too. One of the clicks in the ending montage is the two of them sharing a beer at the hound pits :unsmith:

You deserve it, Sammy. Only decent dude in Dunwall.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
I like to think low-chaos Samuel gets an honorary Admirality.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

MinibarMatchman posted:

Honestly, if you ever have questions that matter, just tweet at Harvey Smith. dude has answered literally all my questions, he's pretty chill and is good about communicating with fans.

I'm wondering if my amazon pre-order comes on the 10th or not. in my experience preordered games usually get here quick, except for nintendo games which go through 9 circles of hell for some reason

I pre-ordered from Amazon with the prime 2-day shipping and my ETA is the 10th so probably.

Hank Morgan
Jun 17, 2007

Light Along the Inverse Curve.
Preload is up. 32GB download on Steam.

IronSaber
Feb 24, 2009

:roboluv: oh yes oh god yes form the head FORM THE HEAD unghhhh...:fap:
I plan to do a full Lethal run through Dishonored 1 before I pick up 2, and use all the powers I never got a chance to utilize (the wind thing, adrenaline, etc.).

Asbury
Mar 23, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
Hair Elf

Hank Morgan posted:

Preload is up. 32GB download on Steam.

Not bad. After DX:MD I was expecting something really loving egregious

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

3Romeo posted:

Not bad. After DX:MD I was expecting something really loving egregious

There's a 9 GB day-one patch too, but its all in line with other current releases so whatever. :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

IronSaber posted:

I plan to do a full Lethal run through Dishonored 1 before I pick up 2, and use all the powers I never got a chance to utilize (the wind thing, adrenaline, etc.).

Lethal is super duper fun, especially if you use stealth to get the advantage but are willing to go loud if you get caught. The combat in Dishonored feels really good and is a lot of fun.

• Locked thread