Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FourLeaf
Dec 2, 2011
For some reason I'm still thinking about ways D2's story could have been improved to match the great level design:

- Make only Emily playable
- Delilah traps Corvo in the Void after taking his mark, this gets rid of the "why doesn't Delilah just smash the statue" plot hole
- if the player rescues Hypatia, she stays on the ship for the rest of the game and helps make it feel less empty. Depending on low chaos or high chaos she either recovers but still has to reckon with having been the Crown Killer OR it becomes clear that Grim Alex is still there and is trying to retake control. Maybe you even have the option to kill Hypatia right before the last mission to prevent any risk of a resurgence.
- when a game has a voiced protagonist, use it. When Delilah pulls Emily into the Void, have them actually interact, argue, etc. instead of Emily just dumbly taking in Delilah's story
- If high chaos and/or Jindosh and Ashworth are both dead then the Duke should really be in hiding with a bunch of guards, not having a party.

As for DOTO... it's hard to know where to begin. I enjoyed it but it has problems on a more fundamental story level.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

FourLeaf posted:

- if the player rescues Hypatia, she stays on the ship for the rest of the game and helps make it feel less empty. Depending on low chaos or high chaos she either recovers but still has to reckon with having been the Crown Killer OR it becomes clear that Grim Alex is still there and is trying to retake control. Maybe you even have the option to kill Hypatia right before the last mission to prevent any risk of a resurgence.
I like this enough that I mostly think that you should have to spare Hypatia for whatever plot-related reasons. Make her continued survival critical to Emily's plans and you can have a third person on the ship to talk to. It'd also give your later choice of Hypatia vs Grim Alex and the actions taken with either of those personalities, a lot more impactful too.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
How is not smashing the Corvo statue a plot hole? I do tend to agree with you, though, on the other points. Felt like Hypatia and Stilton were gonna be boat buddies for the long term and then, nope.

Especially considering the metaphorical importance of Stilton’s photo to Death of the Outsider.

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

"I like Ur and Kavodel and Enki being nice to people for some reason."

Wrong Voter amongst wrong voters

FourLeaf posted:

For some reason I'm still thinking about ways D2's story could have been improved to match the great level design:

- Make only Emily playable
- Delilah traps Corvo in the Void after taking his mark, this gets rid of the "why doesn't Delilah just smash the statue" plot hole
- when a game has a voiced protagonist, use it. When Delilah pulls Emily into the Void, have them actually interact, argue, etc. instead of Emily just dumbly taking in Delilah's story
- If high chaos and/or Jindosh and Ashworth are both dead then the Duke should really be in hiding with a bunch of guards, not having a party.

As for DOTO... it's hard to know where to begin. I enjoyed it but it has problems on a more fundamental story level.

I agree with all of this, but with nabbing Jindosh too for extra company.

FourLeaf
Dec 2, 2011

Bogart posted:

How is not smashing the Corvo statue a plot hole?

If you kill Breanna Ashworth and then talk to Delilah's statue she says something like "Maybe I'll take a hammer to your father/daughter and dump the pieces into the ocean." But even if you've gone high chaos and she knows you're coming for her, she just keeps the statue next to her throne unharmed.. why? I know the real reason (allow the player to choose to rescue Corvo/Emily), but it was never justified in-universe.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010
She's overconfident and thinks her victory is assured and likes having one of her enemies petrified in the throne room. Why is that even remotely weird?

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Mymla posted:

She's overconfident and thinks her victory is assured and likes having one of her enemies petrified in the throne room. Why is that even remotely weird?
I like that in D1, you can get so implacably brutal that the conspirators basically poo poo themselves and turn to infighting the second it appears you might be back, and everyone else reacts to your rampage fairly well. The high-chaos ending of Dishonored 1 when Samuel betrays you works well because you're just too goddamn obsessed with vengeance. Dealing with Ashworth and taunting Delilah about it (which is what talking to her does) should really have some consequences. I'm not sure if there's a way to track it specifically because its hard to differentiate between "get revenge on Delilah" and "get my father and kingdom back" as motivation given how the story is written, but going too far towards revenge really could reasonably lead to her smashing Corvo's statue. Chaos might be a decent approximation, I suppose, but it isn't the best. A few triggers/choices where Emily goes out of her way to gently caress with Delilah could work instead, because Emily can be terrifying. Or, swing too far the other way and I could see Delilah setting out to kill Corvo because she knows it will devastate low-chaos Emily but high-chaos Emily is basically blinded to anything besides vengeance so won't really give a poo poo. Not sure how to write that appropriately, but it could work. I suspect a ton of people would be mad at the "trap" option of not being able to save everyone if you play as low-chaos though.

Villains that never react to you loving with their plans because they're so sure they're going win are boring unless the game is all about hubris. And while there are elements of that, its much more about violence and vengeance, so having a vindictive-as-gently caress villain just...do nothing with one of the most important people to you is weird.

FourLeaf
Dec 2, 2011

Mymla posted:

It's one thing to freeze your enemy when you think your coup has succeeded without a hitch, but when all your allies are dead including your girlfriend, their angry assassin is coming to kill you next, spite and sadism are your primary emotions and you don't even use your petrified enemy as a hostage? That's not being overconfident, that's being an (out-of-character) idiot.

FourLeaf fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Nov 28, 2017

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010
But when you try to fight her, you literally cannot kill her. She's immortal. She has no reason to think you've found a way to kill her.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

FourLeaf posted:

If you kill Breanna Ashworth and then talk to Delilah's statue she says something like "Maybe I'll take a hammer to your father/daughter and dump the pieces into the ocean." But even if you've gone high chaos and she knows you're coming for her, she just keeps the statue next to her throne unharmed.. why? I know the real reason (allow the player to choose to rescue Corvo/Emily), but it was never justified in-universe.
The threat to smash the statue is empty because Delilah is a venal character who's haunted by her destitute origins. If she outright kills Corvo / Emily then there's no one left in the world to spite with her triumph.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Mymla posted:

But when you try to fight her, you literally cannot kill her. She's immortal. She has no reason to think you've found a way to kill her.
Personally, if I have my soul locked in a vault somewhere and there's an incredibly resourceful assassin roaming around who has managed to do things I didn't think possible (like sever Ashworth's connection to the Void), I'm going to very carefully examine my biases about my immortality. Especially if, say, you kill the Duke, because then she should know you were there, or if you regularly use the loudspeakers. I actually can't remember, but doesn't Delilah talk to you at some point in the vault mission too? Also, iirc Jindosh was able to briefly duplicate the Heart, so she might be aware of the Heart's powers as well. Basically, there are a ton of reasons that while Delilah might be very confident she's immortal, she shouldn't be sure unless you've ghosted everything so thoroughly that she isn't aware you're alive.

Outwitting a villain who is hilariously overconfident is so common and so boring that its nice when stories do something new. I like that Dishonored lets you get incredibly grandiose and proclaim your intentions over the loudspeaker regularly if you want to, because Dishonored generally lets you become the villain. Its just that there really isn't any response to that.

Basic Chunnel posted:

The threat to smash the statue is empty because Delilah is a venal character who's haunted by her destitute origins. If she outright kills Corvo / Emily then there's no one left in the world to spite with her triumph.
This I like as an explanation a lot more, though I could see Delilah trying to set up some kind of failsafe where she destroys the statue if she thinks she might possibly be in danger of losing, because I see Delilah making contingencies that exist purely to spite her killer.

e: I do think its funny that the game will let you take the throne without unfreezing the statue, but I feel like disabling an automatic statue-killing failsafe before you go after her should be an alternative objective, especially if you have to (maybe) chose between killing her and unfreezing the statue? I'm not sure. Maybe if they play up the risk that she might escape the painting unless she's killed (again)? Hell, set it so that if depending on what you do, she's somehow tied a fragment of her soul to the statue, then have her rant about how she's got some failsafe effect to agonizingly destroy the soul of whoever is trapped in the statue if something happens to her. I don't know. Make your final choice to sacrifice the statue in return for ensuring that a threat to your throne is 100% gone and getting your vengeance, while the other option plays out the same.

Or, you could return Delilah's soul to the statue (maybe alongside the original occupant, maybe trapping the original in the Heart), then reveal yourself to her/stab her. She then comes back to life, taunts you, and destroys the statue, inadvertently perma-killing herself in the process. THAT would be outsmarting her and playing into her hubris in a way that fits a lot more, because anticipating a counterplay is so much more fun than just showing up and doing something she probably should at least have partially expected. I don't know, something more involved. Its weird that they have two souls trapped in statues during the game and there's nothing involved with that parallel.

e: vvvv poo poo, I'd forgotten about that scene. That really makes things weird as hell, but time travel kind of always does.

Ravenfood fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Nov 28, 2017

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
I think that part of what sets the game up for failure is the implication that Delilah knows who it is that is spying on her from beyond time. If she knows *who* and *when* you are, and as cunning as Delilah apparently is, why are you succeeding at any of this.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
When did Jindosh fake the Heart? I thought that was Outsider original work.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
E3 display:

http://dishonored.wikia.com/wiki/File:E3_display,_the_heart.png

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
I just realized something. Canonically, does the rest of the world not know that the masked man running around was Corvo?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Nope. They refer to him as "the masked criminal" in Dishonored 1, and there'd be no reason to ever make it public.

I'm sure plenty figured it out; some named NPCs recognise it's Corvo in D2 while he's masked. Delilah's circle certainly knew.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Nov 29, 2017

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
are "breakable doors" not really breakable unless you get the strength upgrade

Marshal Radisic
Oct 9, 2012

Relin posted:

are "breakable doors" not really breakable unless you get the strength upgrade
Don't have the game open at the moment, but I believe they can also be broken by Windblast I or a grenade.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.
Shooting breakable doors with the pistol will destroy them.

Pocky In My Pocket
Jan 27, 2005

Giant robots shouldn't fight!

Just had something a bit odd happen. Was playing through on a no powers run and was at the last fight. I had dropped most of the replicas then sniped the true delilah in her secret perch and she teleported...

to the greenhouse outside the tower. The one you find a few witches in initially. I lobbed some grenades off the battlements and she teleported back up to the top floor and i could kill her but it was such a bizzare place for her to go.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
What, down to where the witches were singing and mixing paint? Yeah, that's bizarre.

Pocky In My Pocket
Jan 27, 2005

Giant robots shouldn't fight!

GotLag posted:

What, down to where the witches were singing and mixing paint? Yeah, that's bizarre.

Yeah. It was really odd. I had knocked everyone ot down there already as well so couldnt go down the quick way. Was glad she teleported up when she heard the grenade

Maximum Planck
Feb 16, 2012

On the subject of strange occurrences, I found this clip in my Shadowplay folder:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8THM2Z2GxTg

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
THE ONLY EXERCISE I AM UNFAMILIAR WITH IS EXERCISING MY ABILITY TO MAKE A POST PEOPLE WANT TO READ
Duke Luca Abele

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dY8BSHVWGxk&t=65s

toiletbrush
May 17, 2010
I loved the first Dishonoured, but when I got this just after release I gave up halfway through the first level. I gave it a second chance a month or so ago, and holy poo poo I'm glad I did - there's some annoying stuff but overall this is one of my favourite games ever. There's so much to explore, so many amazing locations, and the two levels with 'gimmicks' are nuts. I love how the levels feel organic and flow with possible routes emerging naturally, unlike some other stealthy games where the levels feel like they were built backwards from two or three routes.

This is also the first game since the original Deus Ex I'm playing through a second time, doing Easy, but no powers, no runes, no kills, no spots, all ui/awareness/alert markers etc turned off. It's fun but is doing me in.

One question about the The Good Doctor/Addemire level - I noticed theres a bunch of bulging steam pipes around the level that sort of explode if you whack them with your sword - does something happen if you get them all? I've tried and nothing happened, but perhaps I missed some...

Twobirds
Oct 17, 2000

The only talking mouse in all of Britannia.
Nah, I think they're just places you can use for distractions / environment attacks.

I kind of feel the same way, I was surprised I was really annoyed by some things, despite it being such a good game.

Arctic Bunny
Aug 3, 2012

A PERFECT LOOKING NOSE
Can Easily Be Yours
Just replayed the Dust District mission, and so I guess if you ship Paolo and Byrne to the Shindaerey mining company, they end up as Eyeless blood tanks or whatever. Those crates are bound for Shindaerey Mining Company, and Shindaerey North Quarry is the last level of DoTO. At least Rothwild can be shipped to "just" the coldest reaches of snow communist land.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
I feel like an idiot for not making that connection

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
I thought you were going somewhere else entirely with "if you ship Paolo and Byrne". :pervert:

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

That's a great mission. Knocking them all out, including the dogs is a fun challenge.

hampig
Feb 11, 2004
...curioser and curioser...
Finally got onto Dishonoured 2 and finishing it makes me feel sad the same way finishing Prey made me feel sad (and Mankind Divided, although being two-thirds of a game didn't help), that this genre feels like it's dying. I mean the writing hasn't moved on with the best in the industry but the level design, holy poo poo. The regular levels are so good and the two mansions are amazing.

I think at least some of it is self-inflicted though. Save-scumming cuts off these games at their knees and undermines core gameplay mechanics, storytelling, and the best emergent gameplay.

They should take a cue from indie stealth games, dark souls, and hell System Shock 2 and give people a little more largesse with the stealth and in return you don't get to choose when you save. Looking forward to going through Death of the Outsider, even though I can't say Billie Lurk was the most exciting secondary character I've ever had in a game. Emily is by far the most charismatic of the cast, I kinda wish I had the option to play as her again.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
I feel like once you've got the ghost / clean hands achievement if you're into that, it's really worth playing through again not caring so much about perfection. My favorite way to play is basically 'batman mode" -- not going for perfect Ghost, but trying not to kill anyone who doesn't really deserve it. This game gives you so many better options for non-lethal combat than the first game did.

hampig
Feb 11, 2004
...curioser and curioser...
Yeah that's literally what I'm about to do :) It's more than just making yourself not reload though, games that assume you will get caught or die and can't reload take into consideration those things in their mechanics and systems and it totally changes stuff like resource management, what kind of risks you take, how much leeway they give you in stealth etc. It's funny you mention Batman because the recent Arkham games also come to mind as games that benefit from no manual saves.

On the upside Blink and Far Reach still make Dishonoured better than most in turning what can feel like a gently caress up into exciting gameplay. Hiding in vents waiting for the Nightmare to disappear while you're weak in Prey is a step down.

e: After finishing Dishonored 2 I went back and (finally) played The Knife of Dunwall and The Brigmore Witches for the first time and uh I wish I'd known it was basically the prologue to Dishonored 2. I though Delilah and Billie both had these unsatisfying vague backstories but it turns out they just left it all in the DLC and didn't put it in the game where they're main characters. I love good DLC, but not fleshing out characters for people who didn't buy it is pretty poor form (reminds me of Dragon Age: Inquistion a bit). On the upside Billie the Whaler was cool so that has me a bit more excited for DotO.

hampig fucked around with this message at 14:27 on May 21, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
Playing this game again, doing a no powers run as Emily.

A few things I've found:

Got through the Clockwork Mansion with only the initial required lever pull ("must have been a false alarm") and was annoyed to find this still causes Jindosh to leave his desk and walk around in front of it

Lift shafts are entirely climbable without using powers. Use the door release on the inside of the front face of the shaft (you can reach it from the outside of the shaft cage, standing to one side and looking towards the back face of the front of the shaft) and stand up to jump-climb the alternating boxes on the back of the shaft. Getting out at a specific floor without the elevator car present is tricky but doable.

And I can't believe I never discovered until now, but howling bolts kill the gently caress out of bloodflies. Better yet, it's a travelling area effect around the bolt, which means you can clear an entire corridor of bloodflies with one bolt. It doesn't destroy the nests but that's easy enough to do with the sword before more bloodflies emerge.

• Locked thread