Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Asbury
Mar 23, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
Hair Elf

Wikipedia posted:

Dishonored 2 is an upcoming action-adventure stealth role-playing video game being developed by Arkane Studios and published by Bethesda Softworks. The sequel to 2012's Dishonored, the game is scheduled to be released for Microsoft Windows, PlayStation 4 and Xbox One on November 11, 2016. The series takes place in the fictional Empire of the Isles with the majority of Dishonored 2 set in Karnaca, a coastal city based on areas in southern Europe. After Empress Emily Kaldwin is deposed by an "otherworldy ursurper", the player may choose between playing as either Emily or her bodyguard and father Corvo Attano as they attempt to reclaim the throne. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dishonored_2

Official site (does anyone even go to these anymore?):
https://dishonored.bethesda.net/en

Announcement Trailer:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UnsDyv-TtJg

PCGamer posted:

Corvo and Emily both travel to Karnaca in Serkonos, a sun-soaked southern colony of the Empire, to dismantle the conspiracy brought against the throne. Both characters are now voiced (Emily by Erica Luttrell, Corvo—brilliantly—by Thief's Stephen Russell) and each brings a different perspective to this new city. "Emily is Dunwall," Smith says. "Empress, assassin. Corvo is a foreigner—he's from Serkonos. In Dishonored 2 he's a man going home." (http://www.pcgamer.com/dishonored-2-preview/)
https://bethesda.net/en/article/4niPcXgvlmM0a6suYe220S/dishonored-2-gone-gold-and-system-requirements

quote:

PC SYSTEM REQUIREMENTS

Minimum:

Windows 7/8/10 (64-bit versions); Intel Core i5-2400/AMD FX-8320 or better
8 GB RAM; 60 GB free HDD space; NVIDIA GTX 660 2GB/AMD Radeon HD 7970 3GB or better

Recommended:

Windows 10 (64-bit versions); Intel Core i7-4770/AMD FX-8350 or better
16 GB RAM; 60 GB free HDD space; NVIDIA GTX 1060 6GB/AMD Radeon RX 480 8GB or better

Gameplay trailer with a (very fantastic) remix of Gold Dust Woman:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uYh9ZmocnGI

Capn Beeb posted:

Someone posted that cover of Gold Dust Woman without the game sound effects from the trailer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8RVQJyiJGqc

It's so good god drat :allears:

I don't think there's anyone reading this thread who doesn't know about Dishonored's relationship to Thief, and there's probably no one here who doesn't know that the latest Thief was a joke. Having Stephen Russell voice Corvo...well, there's literally no one more perfect.

Anyway yeah so this thread's a little early but whatever, series owns, Arkane owns, Bethesda dropping the game on a AAA date owns, Stephen Russell owns, let's talk about it.

11/10 Update: Seems like there's a few performance issues on release (and likely to be solved with a patch or two). But in the meantime check this out if you need to:
http://www.gamepur.com/guide/24937-dishonored-2-pc-error-fix-low-fps-nvidia-and-amd-cards-disable-mouse.html

If you're on the fence: general consensus is it's more Dishonored and is a good proper sequel to the first game. Bad news is that the controls are a little buggy and the performance can suck on PC right now.

Asbury fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Nov 13, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asbury
Mar 23, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
Hair Elf

Resource posted:

I'm back again, as a level designer on Dishonored 2. I hope you guys like it! :)

Well, I can't not ask you some questions, but if it isn't cool to answer them, I understand.

What had a greater impact on the level design - new culture/architecture of Karnaca, or the new array of powers?(edit: lol - the black husserl beat me to this one)

When you design a re-visited level (I'm thinking of Clavering Boulevard), what do you think is the best way to maintain player interest? At least for me, there's always a "I already saw this" feeling when I go somewhere I've already been - Prague in Mankind Divided is the latest example - and it has to be hard to keep an old level fresh. Any approach you favor in particular?

I noticed that the levels in the first Dishonored each come with a different color palette to set the tone (eg oranges and reds in the Hounds Pits Pub and Greaves Whaling; washed out browns and dark greens in the Flooded District; the garish and creepy white in Brigmore Manor). Is there a particular palette for Karnaca?

Incidentally, that cover of Gold Dust Woman I linked in the OP is loving incredible.

Asbury fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Sep 22, 2016

Asbury
Mar 23, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
Hair Elf

Wellwinds posted:

I've never played any thief games so Stephen Russell=Mercer/Belethor for me which is kinda eh

Otoh: blink-kicking dudes off buildings looks fantastic

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qEQMUZufSyw is a compilation of the thief cutscenes. They've aged fairly well. Russell's Garrett is just the right kind of rear end in a top hat.

Asbury
Mar 23, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
Hair Elf

Hannibal Rex posted:

This isn't official as it's never explicitly stated in the DLC, but it seems pretty likely that Delilah is the late Empress Jessamine's half-sister.

:stare:

Asbury
Mar 23, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
Hair Elf

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Eh, I don't see why they felt the need to recycle a villain whom players have already killed/banished. It's like Darth Vader showing up in Episode 8 alive and still hating the Jedi.

I waffled a while on this when I first heard about it. in the end I figured it'll all depend on how they use her, but really, villains weren't the first game's strong suit. Burrows and the rest weren't much more than caricatures. The only antagonist in the first game with any kind of real depth was Daud.

Asbury
Mar 23, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
Hair Elf
Great answers dude, thanks for fieldin' em

Asbury
Mar 23, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
Hair Elf

Coolguye posted:

it's basically a Mostly Flesh and Steel run++. Mostly Flesh and Steel can be really fun if you're of a certain mindset, but i don't think the reason so few people have the achievement on Dishonored 1 is because it's hard (it's really not).

I remember MF&S being about as close to a Thief: TDP/TMA experience as there is these days, and enjoyed the hell out of it. I'm definitely looking forward to going powerless.

Asbury fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Oct 3, 2016

Asbury
Mar 23, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
Hair Elf

Resource posted:

Video featuring part of my level. Beware spoilers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sDF8O6zymeY

I really wanna click this dude but i ain't cause I really don't want to know anything

Asbury
Mar 23, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
Hair Elf

Zephro posted:

Do we have any official news on system requirements yet? Random internet sites say a GF 570 as the Recommended, but that seems way low for a 2016 game.

It might be low, but I don't think it's impossible. The first game had some relatively low system requirements for it's time, if I remember right. It got a lot of mileage out of the "oil painting" art design.

Asbury
Mar 23, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
Hair Elf

Capn Beeb posted:

Someone posted that cover of Gold Dust Woman without the game sound effects from the trailer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8RVQJyiJGqc

It's so good god drat :allears:

i usually hate updating OPs because it feels like i'm writing a dynamic advertisement for the game or something but i went ahead and threw this into the OP because nice.

Asbury
Mar 23, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
Hair Elf
https://bethesda.net/en/article/4niPcXgvlmM0a6suYe220S/dishonored-2-gone-gold-and-system-requirements

quote:

PC SYSTEM REQUIREMENTS

Minimum:

Windows 7/8/10 (64-bit versions); Intel Core i5-2400/AMD FX-8320 or better
8 GB RAM; 60 GB free HDD space; NVIDIA GTX 660 2GB/AMD Radeon HD 7970 3GB or better

Recommended:

Windows 10 (64-bit versions); Intel Core i7-4770/AMD FX-8350 or better
16 GB RAM; 60 GB free HDD space; NVIDIA GTX 1060 6GB/AMD Radeon RX 480 8GB or better

Asbury
Mar 23, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
Hair Elf

veni veni veni posted:

They said it's about 50 percent longer so...15 hoursish probably?

This is perfect for me. I'm just getting off of back-to-back runs of Dragon Age Inquisition and Witcher 3, and I need a break.

Asbury
Mar 23, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
Hair Elf
There's a pretty flaccid ama with Harvey Smith over on Reddit: https://www.reddit.com/r/dishonored/comments/5ax8f1/hello_im_harvey_smith_dishonored_2_ama/

Mostly inane questions, but one or two good answers.

Asbury
Mar 23, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
Hair Elf

Hank Morgan posted:

Preload is up. 32GB download on Steam.

Not bad. After DX:MD I was expecting something really loving egregious

Asbury
Mar 23, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
Hair Elf
What's the deal with this new lean? It feels really weird.

Asbury
Mar 23, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
Hair Elf
fwiw, with an AMD FX6300, a 970, 8 gigs, and an SSD, the only bad load time I have is when I open the game. Otherwise it's running fantastic. I love the idea of going a lethal but not high chaos run with Emily for the first playthrough, then a ghost no-kill run as Corvo. I just wanna be sneaky again and hear Stephen Russell be a smug prick.

Edit: Early game Emily-side question, spoilered: Can you escape Dunwall without killing the guy before you leave the tower? My game wouldn't let me open the door until I killed him (I choked him out earlier). Does that ruin a non-lethal run?

Asbury fucked around with this message at 06:42 on Nov 11, 2016

Asbury
Mar 23, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
Hair Elf
This game fuckin owns

Asbury
Mar 23, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
Hair Elf

Khagan posted:

I think you need to use the rewire tool for that.

E:Just finished the first mission on low chaos and am hella tempted to do a non-powered stealth pacifist playthrough on my first try. Anyone attempting this atm and how difficult is it for you?

Emily's my "novice assassin but decent person" first run - playing it without quickloading after my fuckups. I'm saving my no-kill no-power ghost for my Thief run.

Incidentally: I'm so, so happy that Arkane made the spiritual successor to Thief and that it was successful enough for a franchise. When Looking Glass went under I remember feeling a gut punch. Now I have something that - and I'll admit it - is probably what LG would've made had they kept on.

Resource, I don't know if this is dumb or what, but can you tell everyone on the team they did a loving great job?

Asbury
Mar 23, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
Hair Elf
Been experimenting with some settings. Might just be me, but it seems like the higher I increase my FOV, the better framerate I get. It was garbage at 85 but fluid at 115.

Asbury
Mar 23, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
Hair Elf

foozwak posted:

Can anyone explain to me just what on earth does the "adaptive resolution" setting actually do? I can't find any explanation through some quick googling.

Apologies if this has been asked and answered before but I did do a search just in case.

It seems like it lowers the resolution on things similar to the resolution scale in something like Dragon Age Inquisition (edit: or shadow of mordor), but it only affects the more distant things. The lower the slider the blocker things are, at least in my experience. I may be entirely wrong.

incidentally, these bloodflies remind me a lot of cazadores and it's serious ptsd right now

Asbury fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Nov 12, 2016

Asbury
Mar 23, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
Hair Elf
Mission 3: I'm loving the Shalebridge vibes from Addlemire.

Asbury
Mar 23, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
Hair Elf

Sab669 posted:

How the gently caress do you get that 1 Rune on Mission 2 that's like stuck behind a grate in the river?

Solution Shoot the wood holding it back; the water will bring the rune to you.

Asbury
Mar 23, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
Hair Elf

Blind Rasputin posted:

So is this game good for purchase on the xbone? I loved the first one and the DLCs. The thread seems so far to be sort of mixed on the game.

The only real problem with it is the performance, which is sure to be patched. Otherwise (and minus one or two minor quirks, like leaning being different), it's more Dishonored. If you liked the first one you'll like this one.

Asbury
Mar 23, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
Hair Elf

Xaris posted:

Have they said they're going to patch performance?

http://www.pcgamer.com/a-dishonored-2-performance-patch-will-be-out-in-the-coming-days/

Asbury
Mar 23, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
Hair Elf

Speedball posted:

The Clockwork Mansion is a work of art. I never thought I'd see a level that was better than The Dark Project's Sword level.

Getting there was kind of a blast, too. Karnaca is loving beautiful. Hey Resource, you guys knocked the art design out of the park. Everything I'd hoped for.

Asbury
Mar 23, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
Hair Elf

uber_stoat posted:

you ain't seen nothin yet buddy.

Tell me there isn't a Return to the Cathedral analogue :ohdear:

Asbury
Mar 23, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
Hair Elf
Really digging the "Panama Dunwall" feel of Karnaca. Feels exactly the way it should, like it's part of the Empire but different in a lot of minor ways because of the environment.

Asbury
Mar 23, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
Hair Elf

MinibarMatchman posted:

it's definitely much much tougher to Ghost anything now compared to the first game. Putting the game on Hard makes it even more imperative to be stealthy as often as possible---- about two hits will kill you.

haha yeah. Those first couple levels I mean to do as quietly as possible, thought no problem, ended up high chaos on both. This was on very hard, which I was able to Ghost and Clean Hands D1 and KnD/BW with fairly painlessly. Mostly it's about keeping much more distance than you're used to.

Asbury
Mar 23, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
Hair Elf

Lord Cyrahzax posted:

Yeah, the world building in these games is fantastic. I just wish they could do more with the characters and plot

Pretty much the same here. The story and the characters are super thin, and while I'd usually bitch about that sort of thing, I have so much fun just going on a tour of Dunwall/Karnaca (I take hundreds of screenshots for my desktop background, even the ugly areas are beautifully compelling) that I kinda give it a pass. The world feels cluttered and lived in and dirty and ducks the worst stereotypes of Victorian/steampunk/gaslamp fantasy and it's extremely my poo poo

Asbury fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Nov 14, 2016

Asbury
Mar 23, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
Hair Elf

black.lion posted:

Excitement Intensifies

Does one power set lend itself better to low chaos than the other? If left to my own devices I'll likely do Dad Kills Everything, followed by Em Is A Vegan

They balance out. Emily has some powers that are really great for stealth/non-lethal (Domino and Shadow Walk) but her blink analogue isn't stealthy at all until (if) you find the bonecharm that makes the travel invisible. Corvo's stuff is basically the same as it was in the first game.

My runs are ending up backwards from the ones you want to do: my first game was with Emily and it was an amateur affair, trying to learn the quirks to the updated mechanics. Went well with the idea of her being new to this whole revenge thing - mostly non-lethal, but not exactly stealthy because I kept loving it up.

I'm currently doing Corvo as my "old professional" run which is entirely non-lethal and mostly stealthy. Grinned ear to hear hearing Stephen Russell say "I never thought I'd be doing this again. Forgot how good it feels." :clint:

Asbury
Mar 23, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
Hair Elf

Skippy McPants posted:

This game is so, so pretty.

The amount of screenshots I've taken is frankly embarrassing. But they make for a fantastic series of desktop backgrounds.

Asbury
Mar 23, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
Hair Elf

Mr. Crow posted:

Any news on the patch?

Nothing more concrete than it being a performance patch and it should be out this week.

Asbury
Mar 23, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
Hair Elf
So I haven't picked up windblast yet and I probably won't get to it this run, but if I overheard the guards in the first mission correctly, can you really use windblast to overcharge a windmill that's hooked up to a wall of light and explode the wall?

vvv Yes, with a set of upgrades to each power. Blink, for instance, now has this ability you can buy with a rune that lets you attack out of blink. Like, you blink into someone and give them the Duke Nukem mighty boot. And it's loving awesome.

Asbury fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Nov 16, 2016

Asbury
Mar 23, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
Hair Elf

Capn Beeb posted:

I wish there was a key I could press to quickly disable/enable the hud because holy loving poo poo this game is beautiful.

This whole mission, god drat.

Go ahead and disable it; the game's a little tricker without it but not impossible to play. The only thing I leave on is objective markers because I can disable them from the objectives screen (and sometimes I need them on when the sub-objectives are particularly minute). You can usually use the heart to guide you otherwise, since the bonecharms and runes tend to be placed for you to visit the important parts of a level anyway.

Asbury fucked around with this message at 06:25 on Nov 19, 2016

Asbury
Mar 23, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
Hair Elf

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

I know the chaos rating can affect the game world, but I don't think you can get the world into high-chaos by the second mission, can you?

You sure can.

Asbury
Mar 23, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
Hair Elf

Digirat posted:

Chaos is not morality

Tell that to the Heart, who's really been on my case lately.

"I've seen such horrors...a boy beaten by thieves...a bloodfly nest...your blood-soaked hands."

:(

Asbury
Mar 23, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
Hair Elf
I think I've finished A Crack in the Slab as many different ways as you can now. That level is a masterpiece.

Asbury
Mar 23, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
Hair Elf

double nine posted:

what about other passives like bloodlust and the like, does it take away those? I know that I could create bonecharms/runes but that's crafting, not combat.

I can't say for certain since I'm not at home (otherwise I'd check), but I'm pretty sure it takes away your powers but lets you keep your enhancements.

Asbury fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Dec 1, 2016

Asbury
Mar 23, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
Hair Elf

Wanderer posted:

Especially since they appear to really want a Dishonored "EU."

I usually dislike EU poo poo because I think almost all of it it is, in fact, poo poo (especially when it's spread across different forms; don't make me read a garbo novel that's not much more than authorized fanfiction to understand your story - Deus Ex I'm looking at you, here) but I think the world and the art design of Dishonored is compelling enough that I'd be happily be proven wrong about that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asbury
Mar 23, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
Hair Elf

Olaf The Stout posted:

I dunno, I beat dishonered 1 on the hardest difficulty with way less effort. With that game I felt like a true thief in the shadows, always spying and ready to make a move. In this game I feel like any movement, any move I'm going to get sighted immediately without warning or recourse.

The AI is trickier to handle, no disagreement, and on hard/very hard you have to allow for extra detection distances. (It may just be me, but I also remember a pretty big jump in the AI between Very Hard D1 and Very Hard Knife of Dunwall/Brigmore witches.) Going for Ghost in D2 is more about avoidance and distraction than anything, and I managed mine without too many quickloads by abusing the gently caress out of blink and timestop (and, unfortunately, skipping a ton of content).

• Locked thread