Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
Do all pre-orders get the game early or only the collectors edition? Sorry if this has been answered, phone is about to die or I'd check.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1310844

Anybody see that post about the performance on PC? I'm not overly concerned since it's just one case, but the change in review policy has made me a little paranoid. Hope it comes out okay!

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Well I'm glad I upgraded my GPU a couple months ago at the very least. Most of the posts so far have been from people with last gen cards, hopefully it makes enough of a difference.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Welp, was planning on getting a good nights sleep tonight but then I remembered Dishonored 2 so that plan went down the shitter.

Thoughts so far:

Performance is not so good. I'm on a GTX 1060 and, while it's more than playable, I'm generally hovering around 45 fps with significant dips at some parts.

UI for the upgrade screen could be better. Why do I have to click into a tree just to get a description of the powers? Seems like you should be able to just hover.

Game looks amazing and has really incredible environments (no surprise there, after Dishonored 1). I'm like 45 minutes into the non-tutorial stuff and already feel a little overwhelmed by how much there is to see and how many paths are available.

I'm playing as Emily and still getting used to her powers. Far reach is interesting, I don't know that it holds up to Blink in terms of utility, but I like having a different sort of movement option.

Murdering the poo poo out of people still feels really good (also, Emily is excellent at cutting men entirely in half for a 20-something empress).

Overall impressions are very positive. I can't wait to jump back in. For now though I need sleep...

PantsBandit fucked around with this message at 08:30 on Nov 10, 2016

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Oh and the outsider giving you the option to refuse the mark is a really cool way to encourage a max-difficulty run. Was that an option in the first? Can't remember.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Coolguye posted:

I'm not clear how much refusing the mark actually does to the story, but it seems fairly minor right now. The Outsider is still chirping up at me, but when Corvo goes to write in his travel log, he details his jaunt to the Void and writes a little bit about his thoughts on refusing.

I obviously haven't beaten the game yet so maybe there's more at the end but so far it really does just seem like a max-difficulty thing.

I doubt it'll make much of a difference really. I never got the impression that the outsider really needed or wanted you to take the mark in the first place, his motivations aren't so simple. He has some interest in the lives of this family (or maybe just enjoys seeing what they can do) so he offers the mark to them as a tool they may find useful.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

I'm curious, how did people get through the first Emily section (before she gets powers)?

Once you're out of the tower you have to get past a lot of dudes to make it to the boat and are super limited in terms of mobility. I ended up murdering most of them. Seemed appropriate that Emily would do what it took to survive. That part seems like it would be really hard to do non lethal

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

radintorov posted:

That is a downer: having them interact throughout the game would have been so nice. :(

Yeah it is but, on the other hand we get two unique characters to play with. If this is how they had to handle the story to make it work I'm ok with that.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Henker posted:

I thought the launch trailer was interesting because it's clear Emily is supposed to be the "real" protagonist. Corvo is back mostly for people who only like playing Generic McWhiteguy.

I don't think that's fair to say. Corvo is for people who liked the dishonored 1 power set and don't particularly want to have to learn a whole new set of skills. I would be very surprised if someone picked based off which gender they prefer.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Item Getter posted:

It's true that Corvo is balanced towards stealth and Emily isn't? I was thinking to play as her just because she's new but I always play these type of games basically 100% stealth.
I know very little about the game

Nah I think they can both be played either way. The one major difference is far reach has a more combat focused skill Tree than blink but they did a good job of making both characters viable for any playstyle

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Aleph Null posted:

The spinny, up close combat in Dishonored 1 gave me motion sickness. Is it just as wobbly in 2?

Combat is pretty much identical.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Lasher posted:

Ok, now I'm time travelling didn't see that coming.

Guh shouldn't have read this spoiler :/ it was pretty vague

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

I did that nvidia fix for the framerate and now am getting a consistent 60. What a strangely optimized game.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Black Griffon posted:

I think I missed this one, what's the fix?

http://www.gamepur.com/guide/24937-dishonored-2-pc-error-fix-low-fps-nvidia-and-amd-cards-disable-mouse.html

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

I was bored on the ship so I chucked an empty bottle at Hypatia. She was immediately knocked unconscious, and collapsed...headfirst into a crate of glass bottles.

She died.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

I'm playing Emily as High Chaos but I still like sparing lives when possible. Therefore I just stay stealthy until somebody sees me at which point it's not unusual for a half dozen or so guards to end up sans-legs.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

I thought this in the first game and even more so in this one: Blood Thirsty would be a much cooler and more useful ability if there were more areas where killing one guard in all-out combat didn't bring the entire hemisphere down on your rear end.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Zomborgon posted:

Isn't that the exact moment in which you want to have a chain of Bloodthirsty uses?

I just don't want to have to choose between "kill everyone in the area immediately and make the rest of the level piss easy" and "never use bloodthirsty".

I really like the kill animations in this game and want to have that better variety, but it can really gently caress with the level design to go for adrenaline kills.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Digirat posted:

Wow so not only does dark vision have the unnecessary crappy filter that now also tanks the frame rate, but they made the highlight on pickuppable objects almost the same color as the filter. Why. There are three easily fixable, entirely avoidable things wrong with this ability.

The levels themselves are really good though and every other power I've used so far feels great. Just odd that they dropped the ball so much on that power when it's not even a mobility thing, or interacts with enemies directly in any way.

I did level 3 so far and liked the atmosphere on that level a lot. Bouncing around opening up locked doors to get closer and closer to the truth as each new part of the level gets creepier than the last was great. The puzzle to get into the basement is also cool. but I found the excuse for why dr. hypatia is the crown killer to be very silly. Something about it went further than my suspension of disbelief would arbitrarily allow. Also, she shows up on your boat even though you clearly do not take her with you. What?

I think it's implied that she's well enough to make it without your help. She knows she's being poisoned and is probably still pretty weak so she hides out on the boat of her own free will.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

CJacobs posted:

How she gets to the boat is a bit of a plot hole but I did like that your non-lethal choice has some kinda cool permanence for once.

Well yeah but she's still stuck on an island trapped there by dozens of the high guard keeping close watch on her (unless you killed them all anyway), and the carriage station is still shut down so she can't go back the normal way, and the guards in Karnaca in general have been told to be on the lookout for her because she's not supposed to leave Addermire. Maybe Meagan went back for her after dropping you off though.

She's a brilliant doctor who, to any observer, had completely lost her mind months ago. I don't think anyone is watching her that closely and, even if they were, I think she could manage to make it to the shore without raising too much suspicion.

Plus, there's a good chance the guard presence is SEVERELY reduced after Emily/Corvo finish up.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

MinibarMatchman posted:

so far I've felt like how I did with the first game---when I initially played the first Dishonored I was getting hosed at every turn and hated it. Then I picked it up later on and loved it. I think so far I'm just getting burned badly by not understanding certain things like how I could have taken out the robots or speedier ways to take out groups of hostiles.

Most of the Clockwork mission was really smooth until I ran into too many robots at the end...also I had no idea you could have just taken out Jindosh first and then rescue Sokolov, apparently? That would have been way better than rescuing him, getting out, getting back in and then out again.

I picked up Sokolov and lugged him around while I finished the rest of the mission. Dude is a heavy sleeper.

Oh and the robits are tricky. I don't think I actually ended up killing one. If you really need to get past one, a stun mine will take it out of commission until you get past.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Yeah dishonored has amazing environments. It also helps that we're at the point technologically where we can have mansions and hospitals and the like that actually feel big and detailed enough to be real places.

Like, Jesus, I think I could play this game for years and still not see all the little points of interest. The bone charm and rune system is a genius way to get the player to hunt down the hidden areas.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

double nine posted:

Mission 4 question: there is a shakedown at the black market store, is this a subquest? Because I choked out the bodyguards and the main shakedown guy and got rewarded with a faceful of rats. . If this is a quest, where do I go with it?

I don't know the answer to this questions but I did the exact same thing (well, except with a little more murder) and those rats scared the ever loving poo poo out of me.

I guess they don't want you doing that?

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

The Outsider sure seems generous with the mark these days.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

There's supposed to be a bloodfly infested building across the conservatory with some money in it, can someone point me in the right direction? I am on the street with the conservatory but can't seem to spot that building.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Just finished up the conservatory.

Way less intricate than the Institute or Clockwork Mansion. I did a bit of exploring, mostly to clear out the basement and get the rune down there. You could honestly clear that stage non-lethally in like 10 minutes though. It's such a quick process to de-power Ashworth compared to curing Hypatia.

Still, the environment was cool. Very creepy and I like how unpredictable the witches are compared to normal guards. I went full lethal because gently caress witches.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Monster Mash posted:

FInished my no-kill no-detect Emily run last night and thankfully didnt get hit with that witches bug b/c holy poo poo that would have tilted me.

On the subject of bloodflys, if you murder everyone you come across do you just have an entire world filled with those fuckers?

It seems to make very little difference. I have been highly lethal and still only really see bloodflys in scripted areas.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

If I killed Paolo at the black market is it going to gently caress me over if I decide to side with him in the dust district?

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

uber_stoat posted:

I killed him and then chose that side later and there was no problem.

Nice, glad he's chill about it at least. People probably kill him all the time for the novelty of it.

Everybody gets one.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

https://gfycat.com/VeneratedAllAntlion

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

The guy who posted it on reddit said he basically had to drag/ far reach him over and over to get him there.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

I have to get some work done so I can't finish it, but I just got to mission 7 and holy poo poo the time switching mechanic is so loving cool. I especially love how you can sort of peek into the other world, basically a trans-dimensional keyhole

Every single time I get to a new mission in this game it blows me away.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

https://youtu.be/kcZ-35amnqg

This fuckin game.

Can someone explain to me the charm that is supposed to make "white hounds" fight alongside you? It doesn't seem to do anything.

PantsBandit fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Nov 16, 2016

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Hoboskins posted:

I posted about this earlier, but the charm makes white coloured hounds friendly. If you walk past one with the charm equipped the hound goes crazy and murders everyone near by, even if you are being stealthy. I did this without realizing and came back to several dead inquisitors. The thing to remember is it only affects white hounds which I have seen maybe 2 of all game?

For those wondering about bone charm crafting its worth it. Keep in mind you are probably playing a specific way so not every power/ability is useful. The same goes for the majority of bone charm effects. I have gotten every charm so far but have probably missed some whalebone. Still at the end of chapter 7 after sacrificing all the charms I didn't want I had over 100 whalebone. More than enough to craft multiple 4 trait charms and make 5-6 runes. It isn't going to work if you horde every charm and try to get every power/enhancement. The 4 trait charms, when stacked are fairly ridiculous.

In my current playthrough I now move faster in stealth than I do walking, I move even faster carrying a body (in stealth). I can also recover sleep darts after use more often than not, in addition to my powers not using mana (whatever its called) half the time. It isn't great early game, unless you get very lucky with charm traits.

Oh, lame

Guess I can take it off. Was really hoping it would summon spectral hounds in combat.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

I really like that you can be spotted during a peek. It makes you choose how much to peek, or whether to just listen. Much more interesting than just being able to magically stick your giant head out.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Genocyber posted:

It would be nice if they patched the puzzle to be more clearly-written. Though Jindosh seems like the kind of rear end in a top hat who would word it as such on purpose.

Yeah I mean... its not just a puzzle he made to amuse the local school kids. Its a lock, meant to be opened by certain people. It makes sense it'd be purposefully obscure.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

I just wanna shank some bitches, but it's making me download this stupid 6 gig patch :emo:

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Just finished up my high chaos run with Emily. I know a lot of people prefer to do non-lethal first, but I'm too impatient for that. I'll probably switch to Corvo tonight and begin the long process of trying to do non-lethal/ghost.

I found the final level to be a little underwhelming. The streets of Dunwall and the tower had the potential to be really interesting but there wasn't really much to see. The confrontation with Delilah was also a little dumb. You can literally walk right up to her in the throne room and she won't react, weird.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Being able to shoot the heads off the Clockwork soldiers is certainly useful but I don't really like it conceptually. Like for one, a genius like Jindosh would design a robot with such a critical, easily exploited weak point? And two, an army probably wouldn't commission these things knowing they could slaughter their own people if a stray bullet got them in the dome.

• Locked thread