Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Imo the chaos system would have been way better if it was not "low chaos = good ending, high chaos = bad ending" and instead presented the two as different blends of good and bad. The low chaos ending is the least fitting ending ever, it completely runs against the tone of the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

khwarezm posted:

Exactly why are you getting so worked up here?

We're just talking about a plot in a video-game and now you're being an rear end in a top hat for no reason?

It's Coolguye, he does this literally all the time

redweird posted:

I really liked the Low Chaos/High Chaos system. Do you like killing dudes? Well, now there will be more dudes to kill in levels. Do you like to stealth past people? Ok, we'll keep the amount of enemies fairly constant to help with stealth. Real elegant way to tailor the game to the player in my opinion.

I think the effects it had on the physical game world were good but the effects it had on the story kinda sucked.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Lunethex posted:

you guys would not believe the size of the booger I just picked

Was it a high chaos booger or a low chaos booger. How bloody was the booger

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
From the actually not all that prevalent gameplay they showed in this gameplay trailer, it pretty much looks like Dishonored 1 But More, and y'know I'm certainly ok with that.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I am going to Duke's Mighty Boot my way through this game so hard holy poo poo

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
You can also stand around and hop back and forth between the guys and they will get progressively more annoyed at you. Naturally, I did it for as long as possible

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Alternatively, batman-vision is an important part of gameplay for games like The Last Of Us because you move very slowly and the enemies move very quickly, so it's relatively important to have some way for you to be aware of them before they're aware of you to make up for what you lack in speed and stopping power. Dishonored is a first person game where you can move real fast, so a batman-vision thing isn't really necessary because the style of game it is doesn't have much room for it as a skill you might have.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Note: The GTX 1060 and RX 480 didn't even exist for most of the game's development, so if you don't meet the recommended GPU, you probably shouldn't worry about it.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Honestly if the game is well-optimized you could probably do just as well on as low as a GTX 960, if their recommendation is brand-new absolute top of the line poo poo. Of course, the 1060 is the low end of the 10-series, and we don't know how good the game's performance overall is yet, but you almost certainly don't need to go that high.

I say this because the 1070 is what I have now, and the 960 I had before it was a real tanky guy. I had almost their recommended specs exactly (slightly newer CPU) and I could max out pretty much any game at 1080p. :shrug:

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Yeah I am also in the crowd that fired a parting shot at Samuel when he let off the flare. If he hadn't done that I would've let him live! You say I'm the 'worst of all of em', I'll show you 'worst' buddy! <:mad:>

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Digirat posted:

If you shot samuel, the one guy who risked his life to save yours, with anything other than a sleep dart then you are proving him right

Good! Dishonored is great for not feeling bad about being a homicidal maniac! The whole world sucks, I don't mind if I suck too.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

thebardyspoon posted:

You also kinda get the feeling that they realise that they've unleashed a thing that is uniquely capable of taking them down because they've seen you do it to this whole other regime and you also know them all and quite a lot about them too. I actually remember thinking that out of the usual cliche betrayal plots in games, the one in Dishonored 1 makes some amount of logical sense for what those characters would do.

Considering Havelock straight-up just gives up in the low chaos final level, I'd say you're on the money.

edit: Well, okay, he does still fight you. But he mostly gives up.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Nov 9, 2016

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
The mouse sensitivity, or at least smoothness, seems to be based on your framerate. That's super not great. I don't want to play this game with a controller but I guess I will if this doesn't get fixed. I like the game so far but the mouse controls are a real bummer. Performance-wise, I am also getting hitches on a gtx 1070. So I guess my post about how they were exaggerating was wrong!

edit: I was able to get the mouse sensitivity to not be so flaky by manually locking my framerate to 60. But man, that's so weird to have it be tied to that.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 08:17 on Nov 10, 2016

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Pro tip, enemies can see you while you're leaning now. So if you just replayed Dishonored 1 in preparation for this game, that has changed.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Mr. Crow posted:

Any quick performance tips?

Turn off volumetric lighting and turn TXAA down to FXAA first thing. Shadows next. Make sure you're playing with vsync off as well. Other than that, the rest of the sliders are up to you to tweak. If worst comes to worst, try turning down the resolution scale in the main video options menu.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I knew this game was great after I dunked myself in the water trying to get on a sunken treasure boat, and after I got out Corvo said "I'm gonna need new boots after this. :manning:". Hell yeah you are, buddy. Also, playtime is at 4 hours already and I've only just finished the second 'real' level. :woop:

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

rabidsquid posted:

On mission 3 after going swimming Emily said, "I miss when I wasn't wet and cold," I really like the little voice lines that she pops off. In one part of the escape mission she mentions one of her old teachers who would have been concerned about her behaving like a proper lady and knowing some bit of trivia and then answers it with a very sad voice. The voice acting in this game is extremely good poo poo

In the very first room of the game there's a globe you can spin, and when I spun it Corvo waxed poetic about wanting to just pick a place and sail away from Dunwall, and I was like oh poo poo they made him say something when I did this random-rear end thing and it was a good line.

But I thought it was a fluke, so I spun another globe in a different level like way later, and he said a different thing. The amount of incidental dialogue in this game is nuts!

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

rabidsquid posted:

Perhaps I was just unlucky then, as this enemy was more or less constantly pacing in short strides back and forth. Maybe its harder to do with Emilys powers, too.

If you hang out for a while, eventually she goes down to the main floor and stares at the body on the operating table for a bit, which gives you the perfect change to drop down behind her from the rafters.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Party Plane Jones posted:

There really isn't a lot of guard dialogue in this one, it's a constant barrage of talking about food, kisses and socks.

I have already heard a guy say "Dammit I gotta piss! >:(" followed by his buddy saying something like "Yes, definitely"

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Aphrodite posted:

Can you go back to areas in this? I didn't collect stuff in the first real area because I assumed it was semi-open world or something.

It's presented like in Dishonored 1. You visit the same area over different levels so there's a whole new set of stuff to collect and do. You can't go back once you leave an area.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Fat_Cow's question: Cut the rope on the elevator, it smashes through to the bottom floor and you can get the rune.

BinaryDoubts' question: There's a key in the box of stuff right next to Joe. He didn't give it to you because he's kinda nuts. But the rune's not in his room anyway, you have to get even higher.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Monowhatever posted:

so here's a question: Why the hell would anyone tie mouse movement to frame rate? I'm done with trying to look around only to end up pulling some crazy 270 degree spin because of a frame skip. I'm pretty close to just refunding and picking up Tyranny instead. This shouldn't be happening with a 1060.

Download RivaTuner and lock your framerate to 60 or 30 or whatever you want. Ironically, most of the sensitivity changes come from looking at walls and stuff, which skyrockets your framerate because it's uncapped by default.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Kill all guards. They wanna pretend I'm the crown killer, I might as well embrace it :getin:

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
It's honestly a bit unfair how quickly the awareness meter fills up in this game, especially once (midgame enemy spoiler) clockwork soldiers start showing up just in general in the game. I'm playing on the medium difficulty and it's harder than Dishonored 1 ever was even at its hardest. I can't even peek around corners anymore because now they can see you doing that, so I have to just chill while dark vision does its thing and that's not as fun.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Dongattack posted:

Shelving this until (if?) they patch the performance, but one question. I played the first one, but somehow glossed over Corvo begin her father, is he her actual father or is it some kinda adoptive thing that happened between games?

This is not a spoiler: Yes, he's Emily's actual father. Dishonored 1 tells you Corvo was romantically involved with Jessamine but only really pokes you about Emily being his daughter. In this game they come out and say it like five times in the first ten minutes.

edit: It's the same with the heart, actually. Dishonored 1 played coy about who the heart's original owner is, but Dishonored 2 has Jessamine literally appear as a ghost several times just to really drive home yup it's hers.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Casimir Radon posted:

Did everyone miss the whole "Daddy" picture in the first game? It was the size of a loving wall.

That's part of the poking I was referring to. Without what we know now, you could chalk that up to just a kid being a kid, but also Emily wasn't dumb as a child so she maybe just figured it out.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Certain alcohol bottles explode into flames when tossed or shot with the crossbow, but they say (flammable) next to their names so I imagine people probably know that already. That said, it is fun to set a bottle somewhere, wait for a guard to pass by, and then shoot it and set him on fire.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
The Jindosh Riddle is fantastic and whoever came up with it and its gimmick (the four different elements involved are randomized on every playthrough to make the solution different every time, forcing you to actually work it out if you wanna solve it yourself) is a frickin' genius.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Nov 13, 2016

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Well, I made it. Finished the game at 12 hours, pretty disappointed with the ending but I expected I would be once I figured out that this game's chaos system works exactly like the last one, I'm pretty sure they didn't make any significant changes to it at all. Great game! I am excited to replay it as Emily and eventually do a low chaos playthrough.

edit: Also agreeing with the person who said the final non-lethal option sucked because it did the exact opposite of what they wanted it to do. To young aspiring Dishonored 2 players, my non-spoiler advice would be: Think carefully about the effects of your choices in the game's final level before you make them.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 08:51 on Nov 13, 2016

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Ragingsheep posted:

In mission 5, how do I knockout Ashworth at her desk without attracting the attention of the two gravehounds?

I did it by tossing something, which makes her stand up and start wandering around. v:v:v

You might wanna quicksave first.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Lunethex posted:

Strong Arms was the very last bone charm I got and man, folks weren't kidding with how bugged it is. 1 instance of it works but any more and it bugs out. Hopefully that gets fixed in the first patch.

Is this why it took an unholy amount of time to choke people out when I made a stacked rune of it? I just figured it was the game getting harder :downs:

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

GotLag posted:

Ministry of Hugs closed its doors as soon as it opened them :(

Is Strong Arms always given to you at the start of the last mission, or was I just stupendously unlucky?

I got it basically immediately, the charm effects are random again.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Two Owls posted:

The Jindosh low chaos "solution" is the queasiest I've felt in a game since... well, the Lady Boyle one, thinking about it.

I only found it after I had done it the old fashioned lethal way and I felt mad at myself for not doing it instead. I am not a good person!

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Kurzon posted:

Do I really need to get the skill that reduces the chance of getting corrupted bone charms? I think I could ensure clean bone charms by savescumming.

If you wanna do it the "honest" way, yes, it helps. If you wanna do it the videogame way, you can skip it, the game doesn't overwrite your save after you craft a bone charm.

edit: Emily is a lot of fun to play as so far. I love Domino, and not just in concept, the execution is perfect. I think the highlight so far was hiding out on a chandelier above a room full of guys spread pretty far apart, Domino-ing them all together, and then waiting for the perfect moment to do a drop-tackle on one. They sure did all fall down like dominoes!

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Nov 13, 2016

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

MinibarMatchman posted:

after spending like 30 minutes trying to get the nonlethal option for taking out Jindosh, the game then informs me "whoops not enough power" so I just shot him in the loving face, I was so pissed. I was already so goddamn tired and wanted to just leave the mansion. getting out with Sokolov, then going back in, then getting out again with no real way to combat those loving robots, my initial interest with the mansion just soured by frustration by the climactic part. I just don't see how you can ever go full ghost when I get detected CONSTANTLY. I don't ever remember it being so goddamn fatiguing in the previous game.

There are buttons that allow you to toggle and switch the power 3 feet from the machine on either side... :shrug:

But yeah, the clockwork soldiers are a bit overkill, gameplay mechanically speaking.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

ImpAtom posted:

They're a bit of a mix of all three options. There are some where the lethal option is just kind of absurdly unnecessary, ones where the non-lethal option is arguably worse than killing them and a couple where it's an actual option.

This is much better than Dishonored 1, where the lethal option is "well they're dead good work" and the non-lethal option is always "they're still alive but will burn in hell and suffer forever so you may as well do this instead". Having that always be the case gets sort of boring.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
You jest, but in a number of cases, you can! I count 4 assassination targets you can straight-up just talk to off the top of my head if you want. This usually leads to a fight or dire consequences but hey you can do it.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Cowcaster posted:

as it turns out my pedantic whining betrays the fact I have not played dishonored 2 and just really really want to and hope it isn't poo poo

It's real good my man.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Noirex posted:

Did anyone really get into charm or rune crafting? I made one but it doesn't seem too great or even necessary to complete the game. I was no kills low chaos though, I don't know if it makes a difference.

Yes. Stacking all the various speed boosting ones 4x (speed while weapons are sheathed, speed while crouchwalking, et al) made me rocket around like I was on rollerskates and it was incredibly fun, and absolutely worth the rune investment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

veni veni veni posted:

I wish the guards weren't automatically hostile in the town type areas and that it was more clear what zones are and aren't restricted. Some will say on the screen and some don't. Obviously when you are breaking in somewhere it makes sense but it doesn't really make sense in these town square areas and it's kind of a bummer when I'm just trying to explore and talk to people.

The basic gist is, if there are guards around, sneak. If there aren't guards around, you probably don't have to sneak. It's pretty unclear when civilians will and won't freak out upon seeing you, and Dishonored 1 was that way as well, so it's a shame the murkiness carried over.

veni veni veni posted:

Why is she even bothering to wear a mask? Apparently wearing a bandana is punishable by death?

Emily's face is on wanted posters literally everywhere in Karnaca. v:geno:v

• Locked thread