Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Also I don't think taking the Outsider's deal hurt Corvo at all. He was already in prison and going to be executed, and he wasn't forced to be a murderer.

also don't forget that the outsider doesn't even bother contacting Corvo until after he escapes prison

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

Digirat posted:

something seems different about emily's pictures in high chaos...

yeah, that picture's pretty messed up.

Like what kind of 11 year old girl still writes her "E"s backwards?

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

thebardyspoon posted:

Also, those questions fully inform me that I could never do anything like that. All my answers to those sorts of questions would be complete horseshit I've clearly pulled from my rear end on the spot, or I'd just say "who the gently caress knows?" to stuff like "What is the gold piping on Emily's outfit made of?".

yeah I had to stop reading after someone asked him if Jessamine cried after giving birth to Emily

like who the gently caress cares

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

Rookersh posted:

Just pick like 2-3 of the major targets you think don't fully deserve to die, and you'll still get the Low Chaos ending, it's fine.

otoh, death is a mercy compared to some of the nonlethal options you have

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

Casimir Radon posted:

The heart is a little funny this time around. According to it everyone on the dock is essentially a murderer.

literally every single person I've used the heart on is Mega Hitler

"This guy likes eating food in front of homeless people it makes him feel sooooooo good"
"He's working on victim #8 right now look at him go!"
"This guy's a decent, hardworking dude

HE'S WAITING FOR THE FUGUE FEAST SO HE CAN RAPE AND KILL EVERYONE"

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
I like how the first target in the game is the rear end in a top hat party guest from Lady Boyle's party that rats you out if you talk to him enough times

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

Malek posted:

They are.

So I'm thinking I'm fairly awful at this game. Any quintessential skills I should be focused on early? I saw that time stop will remove the ability to be detected.

Not sure why i'm so bad at this (seems like the controls for knock out are off entirely) and just randomly don't work.

Not sure why I'm so poo poo at this game as I was pretty good at the last Deus Ex games.

If you're trying to be stealthy, my main advice is just be patient and listen closely for footsteps or grunts to let you know where enemies are. There's no minimap here like in Deus Ex that gives you the exact location of every enemy nearby, so you have to be a bit more observant. Invest in the Dark Vision power if you're having a hard time scouting enemies.

And if you get caught feel free to just fight your way out, its fun and you'll still be in Low Chaos unless you murder every living thing you come across.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
Did the 2nd mission ghost and nonlethally just so I could get the achievements, now I'm going through the rest of the game without quick loading when being spotted. (Except for things like saving the janitor in M3) It's a lot more fun now that I can just toss guards around and nonlethally choke them all if I get spotted.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

keyframe posted:

I wasn't feeling this game the first two chapters but holy poo poo did it get amazing fast as soon as you hit chapter 3.

Yeah mission 3 is really cool, there's so much to explore and the Jekyll and Hyde thing was a neat twist, even though you can see it coming a mile away if you read some of the notes you find

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

Two Owls posted:

The Jindosh low chaos "solution" is the queasiest I've felt in a game since... well, the Lady Boyle one, thinking about it.

yeah his dialogue gets very :smith: if you stick around after doing it

Please make me die...

Then I find another note about what he was planning to do to Sokolov and I stop caring

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

ImpAtom posted:

Huh, that's possible? I thought he figured it out as soon as you were inside. I never really got caught but he still was talking about the machines detecting my movement speed and such.

you can navigate through the entire mansion without reconfiguring the layout at all, if you do that Jindosh never figures out you're inside. The trick is once you reach the first reconfiguration lever, look up towards the ceiling. break the glass, Blink/Reach up there then go through the space behind the walls

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

Cowcaster posted:

If only you could talk to the enemies

you can hug them, thats enough for me

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

CJacobs posted:

Say what you will, his delivery of that overseer PA system message about his nightmare of the ocean was fuckin' A. He really sold the "I don't know what to do with this city-wide PA system so ahhh gently caress it I'm gonna grumble about my bad ocean dreams to these ocean people, what are they gonna do about it" feeling of it.

Luca Abele is a massive goon who gets to broadcast his "gently caress THE OCEAN" speeches to an entire city and its great

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

PantsBandit posted:

There's supposed to be a bloodfly infested building across the conservatory with some money in it, can someone point me in the right direction? I am on the street with the conservatory but can't seem to spot that building.

It should be past the first wall of light in that level, a building with a balcony with a boarded up doorway and a nest watcher inside

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
I've only heard it happen once so far but there's idle guard dialogue where they try to sing the alphabet song and it's great

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

Jerusalem posted:

That was so adorable I thought the guard singing it should take a nap afterwards :3:

I insisted.

I need to stop thinking about that kiss.

That kiss....... :stwoon:

I like how later on you can find another guard saying "I don't know why he's making such a big deal out of it. Besides, I wasn't the one doing the kissing :blush:"

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

Lakbay posted:

I don't think I saw it in any lore books but does Morley or Tivia have any rat/bloodfly analogies that could be used for future games? Well I guess rats are everywhere.

I wonder why the devs changed the clockwork soldier's faces from the porcelain human to the droid ones. The in-game lore explanations is that the human faces were less creepy lol

the real world explanation is that the porcelain faces were 1000 times freakier and their playtesters didnt like it

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

Roman Reigns posted:

I noticed Corvo's mask is more refined and less broken looking compared to what it looked like in D1. I wonder if it's the new status symbol for Royal Protectors, with each successor inheriting the mask.

the mask was made exclusively for Corvo by Piero, Corvo even says at one point "How many people have forgotten this mask"

As for why it looks less broken looking Will Harvey said in some reddit AMA that the mask is influenced by the outsider slightly

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
I think at some point in the beginning it's mentioned Corvo is the Royal Protector and Royal Spymaster, which was kind of a bad idea in hindsight

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
I DID IT I SOLVED THE JINDOSH RIDDLE by brute forcing it

i feel really dumb now

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

Random rear end in a top hat posted:

Please tell me you had at least some clues, otherwise that sounds like one of the layers of hell.

My riddle gave me a softball by stating one specific person had the snuff tin, and after trying to work it out legit I figured one of the ladies definitely did not own a ring, which narrowed it down to like 20 different possible combinations, so it wasnt that bad

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

Bohemian Nights posted:

Haha, I solved the solution by inserting all the women from left to right exactly in the order they were presented, figured out a couple of certain items and guessed the rest with half a dozen attempts after that

Only now, by reading andrast's solution do I realise that I solved it entirely by luck since their sitting order apparently isn't at all related to the order they're introduced in :v:

you don't need to know the seating order for the solution, thankfully

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

Skippy McPants posted:

So I'm about to start mission 5 and I'm doing ghost/non-lethal.

My normal MO is to hug all the things, but I guess there's a bug? What's the deal here? Do I need to leave all the witches in the level active until I do the thing?

From my understanding, the nonlethal solution for dealing with the target also knocks out all the witches in the area. it accomplishes this by doing "damage" to all the witches, but if they're already unconscious that damage will outright kill them

You can do whatever to all the other enemies just leave the witches alone

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
Going through the Dust District now, just found Corvo's abandoned house Kinda feels like finding the abandoned workshop in Bloodborne

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

thebardyspoon posted:

Did you knock out the bricks in the wall and get his somewhat valuable trophy?

i most certainly did

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

skoolmunkee posted:

Not what happened in my chaos corvo run, definitely had a big impact on the end. (For the curious, killing both and saving Aramis, and killing the duke without replacing him, in the end slides corvo is like "there's only one natural leader for serkonos... LORD CORVO ATTANO" and so he rules over the place with an iron fist and "supports Emily from the south"

Hot drat I had no idea this could happen lol

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

ZeusJupitar posted:

The dying overseer you find outside the tower actually says 'We were prepared for Delilah's magic, but the ancient music was useless against those mechanical soldiers!' .

I expect that after designing a whole level where magic is suppressed they decided not to use the gimmick anywhere else.

It is kinda weird, especially since Cold ridge Prison had massive anti-overseer music playing outside the walls during Daud's campaign, you'd think you'd find some people holed up in there during the crisis

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

Dongattack posted:

I'm not actively reading the thread cause spoilers, but i have two questions:

1: I read something about New Game+ being implemented soon, is that in? If so how does it work and what carries over?
2: The song that the band plays in the tavern with Pablo, does that have a name? I want to see if i can find a clean version online to listen to.

Silver and Dust is the name, I think

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

CJacobs posted:

The mission targets are very bad people and deserve what they get! :sax:

Yeah gently caress jindosh

The only person who I felt didn't get their proper "comeuppance" in the non lethal method was Delilah. She gets to gently caress around in an alternate reality of her own creation, which takes her out of the picture I guess, but considering how all the other conspirators are facing a fate worse than death it seemed like she got off easy

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

The Lone Badger posted:

Sokolov was not a nice person either. Remember the cages full of human test subjects?
Jindosh could still be an asset to the future if he was kept under tight control and supervision.

Tbf Sokolov was genuinely trying to save dunwall from the rat plague, even if his methods were horrifying. Jindosh's efforts were mostly focused on the most efficient way to brutalize the dukes opposition

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

The Lone Badger posted:

I haven't heard much discussion about the Outsider claiming that he is not a whale. Is he lying? Does the Outsider lie?

I think the heart mentions in Dishonored 1 that the whales are somehow keeping the Void from swallowing all of existence. So I guess it would make sense that he's not a whale.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
I found the one decent guy in Karnaka. The heart mentioned he selflessly took in some orphaned girl even though he's poor. and then he threatened to beat me with a pipe wrench because I was too close to him

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
It's weird how the game is so inconsistent about what deaths you are/aren't responsible for. Like I threw an overseer into a grenade his friend tossed at me and I still had 0 kills at the end of the mission.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

GotLag posted:

Meagan spells it out for you in conversation, but I forget exactly where/when.

I think she tells you when you meet her in the Dust District

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

snoremac posted:

The Lady Boyle non-lethal solution is icky, but exploiting the artist's kink of revealing shady business secrets to prostitutes of the men he's screwing over was very dumb. It might've worked if Corvo could talk, but as it plays out it's very... Bethesda.

Campbell was my favourite.

tbf I don't really see how Corvo talking would have improved that scene, unless they got Stephen Russell to try to imitate a woman

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

freebooter posted:

It's been a while since I've played it, but as I recall the great thing about Boyle's non-lethal was that you don't realise exactly what it is you're setting her up for. Or was that just me? I read the letters in her bedroom with the guy talking about how much he loves her, and of course with letters you have no way of seeing that it was a one-sided correspondence she wasn't replying to. Then when the guy approaches you in the party, he phrases everything as though they're lovers. It wasn't until she was on the boat that I realised I'd delivered her to an unhinged stalker.

you poor, poor man

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

Dr.Smasher posted:

Ran into a glitch playing DH1 on PS4

Not sure what triggered it, but if I get damaged enough for the screen to go red (say, Arc Pylons or Tallboy incendiary rounds), the screen stays red. I can still move and hear NPCs conversing, but I can't see poo poo. This also affects slow-motion triggers like taking out key targets... the game is in permanant slow motion.

If I close the game, or restart the PS4, I get the same poo poo. I'm trying a new game and seeing what happens, since this glitch only started happening close to the end of the game so it wasn't that problematic.

Yeah that's a pretty well-known glitch that was never fixed IIRC. I could never use the possession power either, as it would make my vision permanently green and put black poo poo all over the edges of my screen.

Great encouragement to not get hit tho!

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

Hank Morgan posted:

The ending cinematics kind of imply that she's going off to track down Rowdy Daudy.

or that rowdy daudy tracked her down

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

LemonDrizzle posted:

Corvo's qualifications are:
1: Really good at fighting
2: Boned the empress

I'm not sure why you'd expect that to make him a competent imperial administrator...

Corvo's also the Royal Spymaster by D2 right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
There is no possible scenario I can think of where that DLC ends well

• Locked thread