Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Cnidaria posted:

Here's a new gameplay video:

I am extremely happy that the kick makes a triumphant return from Dark Messiah. It appears to be an upgrade for blink now so you can't spam it but the new kick seems way more powerful.

Let's hope they didn't disincentivize you from actually doing any of this the way dishonored 1 did. Very good game, but providing two playstyles so different that they were almost different game genres and then considering those playstyles to be your story choices, was a mistake. As was giving one of those playstyles about five times the options and making it way faster/easier than the other. If it was really important to make lethal/nonlethal have such big consequences in the game's setting, then there should have been as many options for nonlethal as for lethal, and a loud-nonlethal counterpart to silent-lethal.

Wanting to have more fun with the gameplay means I had to choose not to care about the setting, which is lame because dishonored's setting is really unique, and obviously I would rather be invested in the story than not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

VocalizePlayerDeath posted:

Nonlethal and ghosting has never been the focus. Its not Thief.
They kept pushing their "Revenge solves everything." Tagline and showing sick kill combo vids.
You might as well argue that Bioshock, Doom and Half-life 2's pacifist gameplay is lacking.

None of those comparisons make any goddamn sense.

It is flat out not (intentionally) possible to beat any of those games without killing a massive number of enemies, they have 0 nonlethal options to deal with anything, and your playstyle changes nothing about their endings in any way. Dishonored lets you play without killing a single person (and supports this to the point of having an achievement for it), gives you a couple options explicitly meant to be nonlethal such as sleep bolts, has unique nonlethal resolutions to every single mission that the game acknowledges as you progress, and has a completely different ending based on chaos. The devs put a lot of work into making the setting acknowledge what you did and that's great. Then they gave one of those routes a tiny number of options compared to the other, which means there is much less of a game there if you either want to play nonlethally or want to get low chaos.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Where was it mentioned that you can refuse your powers? Thematically that sounds extremely cool but also a lot less interesting to play after a couple levels. I like the idea of just being some random moron skulking around filthy corners with a gun, but I could see myself regretting the decision to limit myself to that before long.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I'm playing dishonored 1 on very hard right now and I'm reminded what a smart game it is. There are so many little touches and so much thought behind the mechanics, and the controls are great. I didn't think about how good the controls are until I played deus ex mankind divided and got annoyed at platforming in that game. Correctly interpreting whatever the gently caress the player wants to do right now has got to be extremely difficult in a game with complex environments, and dishonored nails it. I've never felt like it made me do something I didn't want to, or that it blocked me from doing something I wanted to do.

I enjoy dishonored a lot more than deus ex in general. In the newer deus ex games I feel like I have to spend ages looking around the environments for a million little secrets they hid everywhere (and which can be mission-relevant, which means you don't want to skip doing that). I spent probably four times as long searching for things in mankind divided as I did going through areas with enemies still in them, which is the part of the gameplay that's actually interesting. It's a weird extreme to reach, but that game actually goes too far with the secrets and little nooks and crannies everywhere, because my dumb personality compels me to look through all of it before moving on.

Dishonored's environments are much simpler while still giving you a great deal of freedom, and it nails that balance. The kinda muddy graphics and bad textures actually work in its favor because you can make out useful items really quickly, and there's not a million possible places things can be hidden--just enough to encourage exploring. They also give you the heart to find the most important stuff (while making its use 100% optional), which is another case of very smart design. I never feel like I have to slow down the pace of the game more than I want to, and both stealth and loud gameplay are implemented equally well.

By now I am thoroughly jonesing for some dishonored 2. The clockwork mansion level looks fantastic and since the level design of dishonored 1 is so good about giving you decisions without overdoing it, I'm very confident in the rest of the sequel too.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

If you refuse your powers does anything differentiate corvo and emily?

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

something seems different about emily's pictures in high chaos...

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Dishonored 1 takes vastly different amounts of time to play through depending on how much you care about stealth and explore the levels fully vs just murderbrawl your way through

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

That's max required disk space, which is going to be substantially bigger than the download itself

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

3Romeo posted:

There's a pretty flaccid ama with Harvey Smith over on Reddit: https://www.reddit.com/r/dishonored/comments/5ax8f1/hello_im_harvey_smith_dishonored_2_ama/

Mostly inane questions, but one or two good answers.

You weren't joking, a lot of those questions are terrible.

I finished dishonored 1 in high chaos, really enjoyed how different it was in both subtle and not-so-subtle ways. you can clearly see your actions influencing emily's mindset when she says "if someone killed my mother, and someone killed the high regent, then when I'm empress, how will I stop someone from killing me?" Samuel's last condemnation really stung too.

Now I'm trying to finish the DLCs before dishonored 2 comes out because I never played them for some reason. The knife of dunwall is quite good so far, and it's got several new options for low chaos which is great and makes me hopeful that dishonored 2 will make low chaos just as well fleshed out as high chaos.

Owl Inspector fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Nov 7, 2016

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

If you shot samuel, the one guy who risked his life to save yours, with anything other than a sleep dart then you are proving him right

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

It had nothing to do with his association with the occult though. I don't think overseer martin even cares about that in the end. Martin, pendleton and especially havelock just got too close to power and hadn't planned far enough ahead to know what to do after corvo actually won. Then they chose the selfish, cowardly and ultimately disastrous option instead of weathering the storm to put the right person back on the throne. If it was only about getting rid of corvo, they wouldn't have killed callista and the servants, and tried to do the same to the scientists natural philosophers.

I'm not sure if preloading is even worth it, considering how incredibly long it takes to decrypt sometimes, instead of just downloading on release day

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

You don't understand, emily. Bend time level 2 cost 8 runes. I had to use it. I had to!!

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Should we gather for whiskey and cigars tonight?

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

A modern AAA game being a performance mess on release would not be surprising in any way (deus ex MD was ridiculous about this). but I would wait for the day 1 patch before beginning any doom prophecies.

At this point I just sort of expect to have to wait a week or two for AAA games to not have crippling bugs or crashes or performance problems, assuming they get fixed promptly at all. It is loving stupid that this is the trend now but there it is.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

No, it was turned into a class-based F2P FPS MOBA because business analysts reported those are on the rise.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Any word on whether it's more CPU or GPU intensive? I have a 970 but my processor is getting old.

Unoptimized games are increasingly irritating me. Shadow warrior 2 came out recently and is a good example of a game with meaningful good graphics because it runs beautifully--you can actually enjoy the game on max at 60 FPS with hardware that cost less than $3000, so the work they put into the graphics actually means something. Lots of recent AAA games have fantastic graphics when maxed, but that means poo poo because they're optimized like poo poo. If a quality modern GPU can't handle a game at 60 FPS on even medium then the quality of the graphics when maxed (in other words what they used to advertise the game) isn't meaningful.

That said, still too soon to say much about dishonored 2 until the day 1 patch. Maybe it will improve performance, maybe not.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

It's started unlocking for me but I have work tomorrow and need to finish the brigmore witches anyway. I've done the first level so far, how many are there?

Found the last level of the knife of dunwall and the first level of brigmore witches fairly disappointing compared to the strong first two levels of knife of dunwall. A level you've already done in the main game feels too familiar, even if it is in reverse. Although the coldridge prison one was a lot better since it had a lot of stuff you don't see in the main game--I especially liked that you could save the guy who brought the key to corvo from being executed

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I was able to run deus ex on windows 7 with 8 GB so I'd be more worried about whatever your GPU is

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I finished the brigmore witches. Wow, the last level is incredibly cool and really head and shoulders above anything else in dishonored 1 or the prior DLC levels. I did kind of just charge around turbo-choking everyone out though because dishonored 2 is out and I finally got that overpowered "choke three times as fast" bone charm. And you can combine the "move fast/take more damage" charm with the no-sound upgrade to just blitz around asphyxiating the gently caress out of every larynx you can find.

I wish two of the levels in the DLC had been like brigmore manor, instead of only the third. Dunwall was feeling very samey by the end and the brigmore manor environment was so different that I wanted to see more variety like that.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Is kicking people non lethal? Is it always possible after shooting someone in the knee with the gun? Because I want to play loud low-chaos and destroy the gently caress out of some traitor knees while technically not killing them and patting myself on the back for being a Good Person. Empress kneecapper kaldwin the first

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

This game is awesome in a huge number of ways and I'd actually be able to enjoy it if it would stop loving resetting its own CPU priority to low and killing its performance. Ugh. One time I even found it back at normal, not low, just to make things even more confusing.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Odobenidae posted:

Also they completely ruined the the weapon/ability wheel. Holding middlemouse down just enables a cursor over a menu with your items arranged in a circle. :effort:

This is almost exactly how it worked in dishonored 1, what are you on about

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Odobenidae posted:

In Dishonored 1 it was working as intended, like a quick switch wheel. You could hold down the wheel button and then flick your mouse up or down or left in quick succession to select any item nearly instantly. This works really well for controllers, and as far as I know Dishonored 2 makes it work the same way with a controller, just not with a mouse.

Now it's literally an inventory page that's arranged in a circle. You hold down the wheel button and you get a cursor, and that cursor keeps it's position whenever you select an item. For example you select something in the bottom left of the wheel and now need the item that's on the right of the wheel, if you open the wheel and move your mouse right you'll land somewhere along the bottom left, true bottom, or bottom right depending on how far you moved the mouse. I shouldn't have to memorize where my cursor was positioned and triangulate how I need to move my mouse every time I want to select an item in the middle of combat.

It is technically worse than something they could have probably just copy pasted from dishonored 1, which is quite dumb, but this is not nearly as much of a problem as you seem to think it is. It should take no more than a second to get the mouse back in the middle of the screen if it's not there, and if you're using a mouse and keyboard then you have access to the number keys anyway so you don't need to use the quick switch wheel often.

The performance (and problems related to it, such as mouse sensitivity somehow being inversely proportional to frame rate) is absolutely the biggest killer here, not the UI design.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Mung Dynasty posted:

It's not even that. There are wild fluctuations in framerates across a large selection of hardware. I wouldn't mind locking it to 30 if I didn't randomly get 15 just standing still.

This is the thing. I'm at the start of karnaca. When outdoors, I get 60 FPS if I'm looking in a few directions, maybe 180 degrees total. That rapidly drops and starts skipping all over the place to what I would guess is something like 15 FPS if I ever look in the wrong direction, and the wrong direction is almost everywhere. Not only is 60->15 a massive jump which is slightly jarring, but the mouse sensitivity fucks out anytime the frame rate changes (seems to increase whenever it goes down), so your camera is skipping and jumping all over the place. If this was a twitch shooter it absolutely would be unplayable.

I don't think this makes dishonored 2 unplayable since the game is not a twitch shooter, but it is really unnecessarily unpleasant and makes it hard to enjoy a very good game. I hope this is just because of the CPU priority, which is presumably something they'll patch, because the last time I remember ever having to gently caress with the CPU priority of a program was I think elder scrolls 4. And it refuses to keep the CPU priority on high for me anymore--If I set it to high, tab back to the game, and check the task manager again, it will be back to low. If the rest of the game is going to perform like the start of karnaca here, I might need to wait for the patch myself.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Bohemian Nights posted:

Runs fine on my GTX970.

There's really no reason to wait to wait for a patch to fix a problem you might not have. If you're worried about performance just buy it on steam, test it out and refund if it doesn't work to your satisfaction.

I'm curious--are you running the game in borderless windowed or fullscreen, and have you alt-tabbed it at all? I have a 970 too and the CPU performance chart posted earlier says mine should be fine, but my performance is extremely erratic, and went from "tolerably bad" in dunwall to "probably waiting for the patch to play further" in karnaca. Based on both the CPU priority thing and the fact that the game reset some of my graphics options randomly, I'm feeling like there's much more contributing to performance in this game than just hardware and graphical quality options.

CJacobs posted:

This is not a spoiler: Yes, he's Emily's actual father. Dishonored 1 tells you Corvo was romantically involved with Jessamine but only really pokes you about Emily being his daughter. In this game they come out and say it like five times in the first ten minutes.

edit: It's the same with the heart, actually. Dishonored 1 played coy about who the heart's original owner is, but Dishonored 2 has Jessamine literally appear as a ghost several times just to really drive home yup it's hers.

Already commented on this in the PYF thread but yeah, pretty much any sense of subtlety related to the outsider seems to be gone here. You're told directly what the heart is and then goddamn ghostmom herself shows up to say sad things to you while emily makes asinine comments like "you're here, but you're not here!" :eek: That whole sequence is eye rolly at best, and I really hope the writing and themes improve later in the game. I replayed dishonored 1 right before 2 came out, and was surprised how much I enjoyed the writing in 1, if not the voice acting. Dishonored 2 has far better voice acting but the writing and themes have not impressed so far.

Do you still get the heart if you refuse your powers? Does the game later recognize that you refused your powers in any substantial way (just a yes/no please)?

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

At this point I am pretty drat sure there is a memory leak.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I'm sure choking out and then robbing this black market guy blind will have no bad consequences later on. Check out that loot! :buddy:

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

That's an unfortunate typo.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I have 9/10 runes found on level 2 and the heart isn't detecting anything else. Where is it? Is the one for sale separate than the one you can steal from the black market? Because certain, conditions, currently prevent me from buying anything else

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Those conditions are "I strangled a man."

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Why on earth does dark vision now tank the frame rate? I do not feel like a crappy looking sepia filter (that should not even be there now that it's pulse-based) should be that expensive. When I heard how they changed the ability I really hoped they'd get rid of the filter (as was discussed earlier, detective vision-style effects that are objectively better than normal yet make the world look crappy are terrible). Instead the filter is still there and now substantially drops my frame rate as a bonus.

However shadow walk is awesome and crawling around as a little shadow monster before leaping on people and dragging them to the ground is hilarious.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

If you refuse your powers can you still use bone charms or upgrade those non-power skills at the bottom like blocking bullets with your sword

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Sab669 posted:

I just finished my High Chaos playthrough using Fus Roh Dah Windblast. It is stupidly strong and a great time. I love just gathering as many guards into one area and slamming them all against a wall, making it rain extremities.

Counterpoint:

nyaaaaaa!

NYAAAAAA

DREAM BAD DREAMS

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Spermanent Record posted:

Is there any way to deal with those fish in the water?

Get on land nearby, use dark vision to make them easy to see, then shoot them

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Part of the problem is there are not enough bone charms that specifically favor non lethal, while a ton of them either favor both or specifically lethal. Strong arms was insanely, disproportionately powerful in dishonored 1. That one bone charm singlehandedly controlled what moves you could safely make as a low chaos guy. There's a whole bunch of bone charms that are really situational perks at best, like "drop assassinating someone gives you a bit of health" and then there's "you choke out and haul people over your shoulder 3x faster." If the idea was to have all bone charms be as good as strong arms then a lot of others need to be brought up to its level, while if they aren't meant to make as big of a difference as strong arms does, then it's way too powerful.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Wow so not only does dark vision have the unnecessary crappy filter that now also tanks the frame rate, but they made the highlight on pickuppable objects almost the same color as the filter. Why. There are three easily fixable, entirely avoidable things wrong with this ability.

The levels themselves are really good though and every other power I've used so far feels great. Just odd that they dropped the ball so much on that power when it's not even a mobility thing, or interacts with enemies directly in any way.

I did level 3 so far and liked the atmosphere on that level a lot. Bouncing around opening up locked doors to get closer and closer to the truth as each new part of the level gets creepier than the last was great. The puzzle to get into the basement is also cool. but I found the excuse for why dr. hypatia is the crown killer to be very silly. Something about it went further than my suspension of disbelief would arbitrarily allow. Also, she shows up on your boat even though you clearly do not take her with you. What?

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Mung Dynasty posted:

Is it just me, or do many of the guards not seem to start their patrols until you're nearby? Like... I'll watch some of them from far away and they'll basically just hang around doing absolutely nothing until I get closer. Then they all start walking and patrolling and talking at once. It's extremely jarring.

Sometimes this is because they have to complete a unique conversation/interaction first and won't leave each other until it's over, and they won't start until you are close enough to hear it

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Genocyber posted:

There were maps in some of the levels in DH1.

Yup, they were loot items so a lot of players probably just grabbed them without looking at them but they were the same as the maps on the walls in dishonored 2. The great majority of the setting you see and hear about in dishonored 2 was already established in 1.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

i am dumb

Owl Inspector fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Nov 15, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

CJacobs posted:

They do, I didn't get a single Emily power bone charm as Corvo and I haven't gotten any for Corvo as Emily so far either. :confused:

I got the white rats one as emily. Unless she gets some value out of that, it's not good for anything but a couple whale bone.

Owl Inspector fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Nov 15, 2016

• Locked thread