Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004
The FOV will more than likely be adjustable in the final game. The gameplay vids are likely captured on PCs hooked up to HDTVs, so the FOV is set appropriately for someone sitting on a couch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004
Aren't those recommended GPUs effectively GTX980's and RX290X's, respectively?

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004

Zaphod42 posted:

My only hope for Dishonored 2 is that its like D1 but longer. I'm in no rush to play it though so I'll just wait until after release to see how long it was from people who have beaten it, and possibly wait for it to go on sale. If its longer than D1 I'll probably pick it up at launch.

I'm not in a huge rush to play it, either. I mean, it looks fantastic and all, but I just got done with the Dishonored DLCs and I'm currently busy poopsocking BF1 and have a huge backlog of Steam games and not enough time and and and...

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004

Digirat posted:

Dishonored 1 takes vastly different amounts of time to play through depending on how much you care about stealth and explore the levels fully vs just murderbrawl your way through

Steam tells me I have 80 hours in DS1, which includes 1 ea. low chaos and high chaos run of the main campaign, and a high chaos run of the DLC.

Argh I will probably just get this game and again put off dealing with my monstrous backlog.

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004
It's pretty disappointing to hear about all the performance issues. On the bright side it's definitely inhibited the temptation to pick this up and binge over the weekend when I have other productive things I should be doing.

Would people say this is DXMD bad level of port performance? For that game I just got it on PS4 just to avoid possible performance problems, which I would hate to do here as my rig should play DH2 just fine according to the requirements (980ti, 16GB Ram, i7-4790k).

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004

Andrast posted:

Your PC will run this way better than a PS4 will.

(It would also run DXMD a lot better than a PS4)

PC DXMD had a bunch of horrible poo poo like mouse-acceleration, crappy UW support, and a bunch of other crap besides pure performance concerns that made me hop on the PS4 version for launch. Pure framerates aren't what I'm totally after, but would prefer 60 locked if I'm going to play on PC. I've read that the mouse sensitivity in DH2 is tied to framerate, so it seems like using a controller is a way to get around that.

I guess I'm getting grumpy and don't want to deal with less-than-ideal launch performance issues and will just sit on the fence for this one to see how patches improve things.

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004

Monowhatever posted:

so here's a question: Why the hell would anyone tie mouse movement to frame rate? I'm done with trying to look around only to end up pulling some crazy 270 degree spin because of a frame skip. I'm pretty close to just refunding and picking up Tyranny instead. This shouldn't be happening with a 1060.

Does it have this problem with a controller?

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004

Monowhatever posted:

Good question, I haven't tried it with one. Honestly I'd rather just be able to play with a keyboard and mouse I can't stand using controllers for fps games.

Yeah, at least this isn't a twitch shooter or anything, so I could live with controller if need be.

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004
Anyone tried playing this with a controller on PC?

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004
Trying to collect all the runes and bone charms in the Clockwork Mansion is driving me insane.

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004
Anyone have thoughts on rebinding the KBM controls for optimal speed? Like so you don't have to constantly go in to the quick menu?

At a minimum I think block needs to move to a mouse button, and move the menu to something else, maybe TAB?

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004
I spent 20ish hours playing with a controller because of the crap mouse problems, but now that I figured out my keybinds and fixed the floaty mouse OF COURSE I restarted my Emily low-chaos run.

A couple of stray observations:
-KBM controls feel much better once I assigned the power wheel to TAB and choke/block to Middle-Mouse. I initially used Mouse 4 for choke/block, however I keep my mouse in a pretty tight grip so I prefer keeping my thumb & pinky anchored during play.
-Using the Heart to collect all the bone charms/runes is super fun and is about as OCD as I'm letting myself go with hunting secrets on this run. Google-scumming for all the blueprints & paintings is something I'll save for later.
-The game has 3 campaign slots which is nice but also kind of a bummer for replays - guess I'll make slots 1 and 2 for my more serious runs and 3 for gimmicks. No way to avoid overwrites that I'm aware of.

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004

Digirat posted:

Why would you ever have more than 3 concurrent playthroughs though

I dunno, I've not done it before but I imagine some people might not want to have to overwrite them to keep a memorialized run? In other games I liked to archive my old savegames just in case, I don't think that's possible in DH2 like it was in DH1 because of the campaign slots.

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004

Digirat posted:

As abysmal as the game's performance is right now, I will say I haven't run into a single crash or meaningful bug yet, and haven't read about more than one bug from anyone else. That's a huge rarity these days--it really could be a lot worse.

I have the same experience, knock on wood. Not a single crash, and while I still have frame rate dips the judder and hitching is gone after applying those settings from the reddit thread.

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004

That's cool as poo poo! Does that death count against you?

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004
Supposed to be a beta patch up now.

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004

Mailer posted:

The buzz on the Steam forum page is that nvidia is unchanged (it's poo poo or fine depending on how you like your graphics) but AMD GPUs are a bit better and the mouse movement doesn't suck anymore. I'm still holding off until it comes good for Intel/Nvidia.

I think if you have a reasonably recent i7 and nvidia GPU you should be good to go. It seems that most of the nvidia people complaining about performance are also using i5s. I have a 980ti, 4790k and stick to 60FPS most of the time (occasional dips to the 40s) at 1440P Very High.

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004
I just finished the game non-lethal and when placing Delilah on the throne the journal gives a "not-completed" mark in the log for finding another way to eliminate her. I thought the corrupted rune/trap in the painting approach was the only non-lethal solution?

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004

Relentlessboredomm posted:

Got the same thing on my almost, not quite non-lethal Emily run. Not sure what the deal is.

Btw, using Domino is incredible except when you've connected 3 guards together, go to choke out the closest one and right before he passes out another connected guard runs at you sword swinging only to kill his guard friend, himself, and the third connected guard.

Domino on a lethal run has got to be loving insane.

Whoops, I meant to say "low-chaos". I'm saving Ghost and Non-Lethal for separate playthroughs some time from now. After my high-chaos Corvo run.

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004
I'm almost afraid to use the new patch as my rig's performance is more than acceptable :pray:

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

Weird how the Void engine apparently uses Idtech. I wonder why Doom runs flawlessly on a whole range of systems and this is barely functional.

Doom is idTech6 while DH2 is idTech5.

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004

skoolmunkee posted:

You get the letter either way.

I think Mindy is just meant to be an interesting background character. there IS more to her story, but it has nothing to do with Emily/Corvo

As mentioned you can find various notes about her, but the real story about her is that she's trying to figure out how to get outsider-assisted powers like Paolo. You can find her apartment in the dust district and the books and things in there all indicate that she's down-low trying to research Paolo's powers, she knows they have something to do with the hand and its tattoo, but she can't get a good look at it. So she's looking into lots of occult symbols and experimenting with tattooing them on her own body, to see if any work. She tries using whale blood as part of a tattoo, etc (which just festers and doesn't heal well). She has a tattoo chair in her basement and lots of drawings on the walls that indicate the work she's doing. The body that you retrieve for her is her most current tattoo artist- the Overseers caught him in possession of heretical drawings. Mindy presumably wants his body back so she can give it a decent burial for being her pal, rather than the overseers burning it or throwing it in the river or something. I'm not exactly sure what connection Mindy has to the silvergraph parlor- but she seems to like having her picture taken, or one of the employees likes taking her picture. Dunno how that fits into her picture.

About Mindy's buddy I'm not certain she wanted to send him off with a proper burial. I got a pretty creepy vibe from her interactions with the protag, likely she's going to do something occult to the corpse offscreen

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004

Jack Trades posted:

I'm talking about the patch that went live today and your fps is going through the roof because they made the game lean harder on the adaptive resolution with the new patch, lowering the rendering resolution much more to compensate.

I compared the fps in 1.0 and 1.2 versions, with exactly the same graphics settings (Very Low preset, Adaptive Resolution OFF), in the exactly same spot in the game and I got exactly same fps.

I haven't done a direct compare, but I feel like I have similar results. The patches haven't increased raw performance, but rather reduced the perceived frame rate stutters. With Adaptive Resolution OFF, Very High preset I get the same performance past the Karnaca Wall-of-Light that I had in 1.0, 1.1, and 1.2. Honestly, pre-1.1 I ran the game with an external framelock and that removed all the stutter - the patches have really only improved the mouse.

Pre 1.2 the Auto-preset was Very High, post it's now High for a 980Ti at 1440P. I was happy with the performance on my first run at Very High so I'll stick with that. Ultra drops me below 40FPS in Karnaca in certain spots, so that's a no-go for me. I can't tell much of a difference between Very High and Ultra, to begin with.

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004

My Lovely Horse posted:

Some fatigue is setting in. Fortunately I'm coming up on mission 7, which is where I started to deliberately skip things during the first run, specifically so I'd have new stuff left to do in the second.

I hear you. I am considering planning out my second run with High Chaos Corvo and get the collection achievements, but then I consider that's going to just feel like a bunch of work and is going to fatigue the hell out of me.

Rather, Corvo High Chaos + exploration + no save scumming sounds like fun and if I pick up some additional cheevos during that run, great! Save the OCD runs for later.

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004

KingKapalone posted:

Should I get this on PC or PS4? I've heard a little about the PC issues, but I wouldn't be playing this until Christmas so maybe they'd be fixed? I have a 1070 so I assume I could crank everything to max which I assume would look much better than PS4?

Do you have a preference of playing on your couch or with KBM?

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004
I was wondering when DF was going to stop jerking off about the PS4Pro and gives us a tech analysis for DH2. Took them long enough.

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004

Gridlocked posted:

Ok so the DH2 1.2 patch has been out for about 2 weeks now.

Is the game playable on older machines yet?

Define "older"

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004
Has anyone encountered this? I hope this is a bug, but it's unnerving as I'm going for the art collector achievement on this run and don't want to move forward if my game is completely glitched.

I've checked a bunch of guides and according to them I've got all the collectibles for this mission. It looks like the summary is literally doubling the values of what's available.

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

I haven't seen it before, but go back to your last save and get the cheat engine table that gives you perfect end level stats.

Woops, ignore this, that's for ghost and merciful.

Dang. Guess I'll just shelve the game for a bit for a patch. I want that cheevo!

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004

3Romeo posted:

The AI is trickier to handle, no disagreement, and on hard/very hard you have to allow for extra detection distances. (It may just be me, but I also remember a pretty big jump in the AI between Very Hard D1 and Very Hard Knife of Dunwall/Brigmore witches.) Going for Ghost in D2 is more about avoidance and distraction than anything, and I managed mine without too many quickloads by abusing the gently caress out of blink and timestop (and, unfortunately, skipping a ton of content).

How did you handle rune and bonecharm hunting? Did you just get the minimum you felt comfortable needing and skipped the rest?

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004
I can't wait for the NG+ patch. Playing through a second time without having to item hunt will be such a release.

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004

Junkenstein posted:

It plays really well on a gamepad. I haven't even considered trying M+KB. Maybe if I was using the crossbow all the time, I dunno.

It's fine on a gamepad. My first playthrough was on one when the mouse sensitivity was still tied to framerate. Both options are fine.

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004

azren posted:

I ordered this for PS4 off of Amazon, and received it yesterday. The thing is, the PAL version was delivered, despite me being in the US (went back and double checked, the product page was correct. It runs fine, but I wanted to know if there's any appreciable difference between the two. I've gathered that PAL releases can sometimes end up censored, or something, and I just wanted to see whether I should bother sending it back for an NTSC version.

Weird, I had the same thing happen for a different game (The Last Guardian). I would, and did, return mine and bought a local US version. As I understand it the PAL version would play fine but any DLC or multiplayer would be tied to the PAL region and PSN store. Up to you if it's worth the risk for possible future DLC, but I would just exchange it if I were you.

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004

Avalerion posted:

Doing Emily non-lethal first and yea it's fun just wish you got more runes or at least an option to respec, way too many cool powers I don't get to use.

That's why there is NG+!

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004
How's the pc performance?

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004
So about on par with dh2?

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004
So goonsensus is DLC is good and should be bought? GMG has it for 20% off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004
There is no chaos system nor clean hands cheevo. Go hog wild.

• Locked thread