Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Playing Dishonored for a second time recently gave me an appreciation for how good it is. Don't get me wrong I liked it the first time, but it really is just about the best in class despite some flaws and being a little on the short side. it just nails what it's trying to do really well. Played the new Deus Ex right after and it felt piss weak by comparison.

Playing again definetly shot D2 to the top of my hype list. It looks gorgeous and assuming the gameplay is still great it'll be one of the best games of the year.

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 08:54 on Oct 9, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I can't really tell since that video is sort of an abilities showcase, but it looks like dark vision might be changed to be more like listen mode in the last of us? I hope so. It was horrendously overpowered in the first game.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

That aspect is cool.

The thing that bothered me about Dark Vision is A. It just flat out lasted too long and B. as a result you can spend too much of the time looking at a very pretty game through a very gamey lens and it makes everything less cool to look at and easy. I think it would be better if it only lasted while you were holding the button and also it burned through your Mana. Maybe loot could be marked in some other way? Because yeah, it's easy to miss otherwise.

Yes my complaints could be changed with a little bit of self restraint, but I am going to use the tools the game gives me regardless.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Coolguye posted:

yeah during the LP we're just wrapping up, TheLastRoboKy compared it to Detective Vision from the Batman games, and i felt that was really apt. really if you got rid of the visual effect (sepia in Dishonored, wireframe in Batman) you'd have an objectively superior form of vision, with no downsides. so really it just becomes a matter of are you personally offended by the visual effect's aesthetic enough to not abuse the hell out of it

in the context of a stream or a LP the visual effect makes sense because it's harsh and you don't want to piss off your viewers. but in terms of just playing the game yourself i think it's difficult to argue that there's a real downside to darkvision and that's not really a good thing. even just disabling mana regen while it's active i think would be plenty.

This is a good point and the problem with these abilities (In a lot of games not just Dishonored) is that the only downside is that it's less pleasing aesthetically. I can see why developers put super vision mode in stealth games now, in old stealth games you'd often have to wait minutes for the right moment to strike. I don't think people have the patience for that in a AAA game these days, myself included probably . So I can see why it exists, but I think there needs to be some sort of tradeoff, so these modes are something you don't spend too much time in.

I don't see why developers would go through the effort of making these beautiful games that are full of atmosphere, just to give you an ability that washes the whole thing out lights up enemies and points of interest like a christmas tree.

It's why I brought up TLOU. I actually think it is much better without listen mode, but at least it doesn't hamper the atmosphere like it does in most games. You just kind of use it for a few seconds here and there when you need it and you aren't altering how the whole game looks.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Resource posted:

About Darkvision in Dishonored 2, the internet says:

Which seems about right. :)

Agreed. Looked like they changed it. I like the sound of that.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Are you sure batman started the see through walls mechanic? Could have sworn it's been around for a while beige that.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I don't know if that was a joke, but practically every AAA game does those now.

I don't think I get live action trailers. Seems like a dumb way to advertise a game.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Zaphod42 posted:

My only hope for Dishonored 2 is that its like D1 but longer. I'm in no rush to play it though so I'll just wait until after release to see how long it was from people who have beaten it, and possibly wait for it to go on sale. If its longer than D1 I'll probably pick it up at launch.

They said it's about 50 percent longer so...15 hoursish probably?

I just hope they throw in some extra challenge stuff since there's no multi.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

MMF Freeway posted:

I found it very re-playable as well, but definitely do agree that the dlc was a welcome addition to the length. IIRC it got some early flak for being short because someone blasted through it in a few hours right before release which I thought was incredibly stupid.

Yup. There was a bunch of drama because someone blinked their way through it in 3 hours which apparently meant the game was objectively 3 hours long and therefore a ripoff according to the internet. It was really stupid.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I shot samuel straight in the face on my first run after he started scolding me the first time I played. Ended up having to swim to the last mission.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I didn't even know he shot off a warning flare I just didn't like his tone. He was dead the second he called me an a hole.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Yeah might as well go whole hog if you are doing high chaos.

I played low chaos last time and we broed down and Samuel told me what a cool dude I was.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

It is to Dishonored what Mankind Divided was to Human Revolution. QOL improvements, but mostly more of what was already very good. Not as huge of a step forward as the original was in either case.

This worried me for a second and then I remembered Dishonored was way better than Deus Ex to begin with.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Wafflecopper posted:

Just did the escape from the tower mission at the start and you can skip half the level (from where you leave the tower to where you get on the boat) by catching a train. I love this game already. I actually went back through the whole section backwards because I didn't want to just skip all that content (and loot) but it's cool that you can do that.

I didn't catch this, but I'd say one of the things I respect most about Dishonored is that is isn't afraid to let you miss significant areas in the game. I recently replayed the first and found a lot of areas like this. I never even found the dog kennels on my first run along with a lot of smaller areas. it adds a air of mystery and motivation to replay, in a world full of games that feel the need to ping every inch of content it has to offer.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Really? I've only played a bit but I killed that many guys in the first area and have gotten low chaos so far.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Kurzon posted:

It's not so much the morality of it, but that they are not realistic. How can I trust that Slackjaw will keep his end of the bargain and abduct these two guys for me? All I did for me was give him a safe combination. How can I assure that they won't escape their exile and come back to cause trouble? How would branding the High Overseer with a mark of shame end his career when it was applied in an extralegal fashion? It's downright weird. Simply killing the targets is a safer guarantee against them causing trouble.

To some degree you have to just accept that it's a video game and take it at face value man :v:

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I'm really not liking how piss weak the setup for this game is. I would have liked to have seen them attempt to make the coup a little more believable.

Awesome game in every other regard tho so far.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Yeah pretty much all of that didn't sit right with me either.

I was pretty much like "cmon seriously?!" During the whole intro.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Am I supposed to be using the numbered locations for the sunken supplies map or the red x? The red x seems to be out of bounds though? And I'm not seeing anything by the docks here.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

mania posted:

Red X. It's around the buoy, look underwater for a crate that's been tipped over on it's side.

Thanks!

Man. Mindy Blanchard sounds inexplicably like Granny Rags.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Mr Scumbag posted:

I feel like I'm the only person who finds this game to be a complete and utter letdown.

I didn't follow development at all, so there was no "hype" and it runs fine for me.

The problem is that the mechanics are utter garbage compared to the first one. So unreliable and finicky. From trying to jump through windows and getting caught up, to the AI being EXTREMELY unreliable and seeing me through walls and obstacles or making me in less than a second. That's not challenging, and it's not fun - it's frustrating and tedious. It's like they blew their entire budget on art and level design and left the mechanics of this mechanics-based game for last.

The clockwork mansion is one of the most frustrating times I've had with a game in recent memory. I think they've just completely hosed stealth up with their shoddy mechanics. Maybe it's better just playing it loud.

I've made it to mission 5 and I've completely lost interest. If you had have told me a year ago I'd lose interest in Dishonored 2 before finishing it, I would have laughed since I adored the first one. But here I am.

I'm still enjoying it but it has a lot of issues that are really killing my buzz. Something feels very off mechanically and the sound design is very hosed up. I can't even wear headphones while playing cause it's too disorienting.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Some of the rooms in this game are like, so loving hard to stealth through. Jesus.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

How do I get the rune in the basement of the hospital in mission 3?

Specifically how do I get into the basement?

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Cool thanks

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I wish the guards weren't automatically hostile in the town type areas and that it was more clear what zones are and aren't restricted. Some will say on the screen and some don't. Obviously when you are breaking in somewhere it makes sense but it doesn't really make sense in these town square areas and it's kind of a bummer when I'm just trying to explore and talk to people.

Why is she even bothering to wear a mask? Apparently wearing a bandana is punishable by death?

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

CJacobs posted:

The basic gist is, if there are guards around, sneak. If there aren't guards around, you probably don't have to sneak. It's pretty unclear when civilians will and won't freak out upon seeing you, and Dishonored 1 was that way as well, so it's a shame the murkiness carried over.

Emily's face is on wanted posters literally everywhere in Karnaca. v:geno:v

Well yeah. I realize that but thematically it doesn't make sense and wearing a mask seems to net the same results as not so why bother?

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Casimir Radon posted:

I liked the clockworks from the first trailer better. They had a creepier look. For some odd reason you find a note saying that they were changed because they weren't creepy enough.

The current ones look like those droids from the Star Wars prequels.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

So this game takes reloads or at least the ones after a death into account for play time right? I'm finding it to be way longer than reported. Either I suck or I'm being more thorough than some but I'm at over 12 hours and only on mission 6. I can't believe some reviews tagged it at being around 8 hours long.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

The crazy thing is that at 12.5 hours and being only a short ways into mission 6 I still feel like I missed a bunch of stuff and I'm playing low chaos but very sloppily and killing plenty of guards. The observatory was really the only level I felt like I picked clean. The levels are insanely dense and huge. I loved DH1 but it really was a little too short for it's own good. This game feels kind of massive.I was expecting a small bump in size but it really feels like it dwarfs the first game.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I hate when I'm trying to blink (Er, whatever Emily's version of blink is called) and I accidentally grab an unconscious guard and fling him to his death. Especially since the cursor will show up in places where you can't actually teleport so it's like "oh hey I guess I can go there" and the next thing I know some sleeping guard flies to his doom.

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 09:31 on Nov 20, 2016

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Did you manually check? Quick load has been hosed up for me and often loads the wrong checkpoint.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Ran into a really weird bug (?) I kidnapped Paolo and took him to the overseers and there is a scene where they are executing 2 people. Right before they shoot the woman she runs off and all the guards go hostile against me. Annoying as gently caress and now I'm pretty sure I can't complete this mission. At least in this fashion.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Anyone try taking out Paolo when you first run into him in the black market?

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

There's a note that seems to indicate that I can knock the balcony down in stilton manner but I'm not sure how to do it.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I thought armor piercing was crossbow bolts.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

What's up with the basement in Stiltons manner? The place with the hole in the walls that is full of bloodflies. It looks like I should be able to jump through the hole and I can't get in there. Didn't see any other entrances to that area either.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

CJacobs posted:

You can't get through there at the present time. If only there was another time you could visit that area in! You should try and get in there sometime.

The hole is blocked in the present, you need to be in the past to fit through. Sorry.

Oh god lol. That mission was so long my brain was frazzled.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

The end of a crack in the slab was so disappointing. I was sure I was going have caused the rise of Delilah somehow but you are just using time travel to ease drop.

It would have been cliche as hell but it would have been fun. The main story is so lame.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

It would probably be too much for most people but it would be pretty cool if you were given loose objectives and left to figure all of that kind of stuff out by yourself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Skippy McPants posted:

Piero is dead, so we can't survey his position but Sokolov, at least, expresses considerable regret throughout the game for many of the less than chill acts he committed earlier in his life. Maybe Jindosh would have come to the same epiphany given time, but I doubt it. Everything we learn about him indicates that his psychosis goes above and beyond, to the point of creeping out even the other weirdos like Piero and Sokolov.

What happened to him? Did I miss a blurb or something about him? I'm nearing the end of 2 and was surprised Piero hasn't popped up.

• Locked thread