Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec
Hello, friends. I was wondering why every keyboard I buy have a PAUSE/BREAK key? As far as I know, all it does is wake up my computer from sleep mode. Every other time I hit it, it does nothing.

Does it have a function I don't know about? If it hit it will it do anything to my computer (windows 7)? Genuinely curious.

Thanks!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jeff smisek
May 18, 2009

Rip it off and stick it up ur butt. See what happens then

a few DRUNK BONERS
Mar 25, 2016

I have a phd in computers and the answer is no one knows

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

jeff smisek posted:

Rip it off and stick it up ur butt. See what happens then

not taking suggestions from flounders, sorry

Jesustheastronaut!
Mar 9, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
Some computer games allow you to pause the game, or take a break, after pressing this keyboard key. Hth

spud
Aug 27, 2003

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Back in the cold war, there was a risk that your computer was a secret russian spy, so to combat this they added the break key to instantly break the computer so that it won't be compromised. After the cold war ended, they realised they didnt need to break the pc anymore, so they doubled it up as a pause key, but left break on there as a reminder of how close we came to the russians stealing the internet.

spud fucked around with this message at 11:30 on Jul 10, 2016

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec
I tried to get a Tab after watching that Simpsons episode. I am sure I will be able to tell which are the joke answers, itt.

John Denver Hoxha
May 31, 2014

What a persistent nightmare!
....but enough about my posts

spud posted:

Back in the cold war, there was a risk that your computer was a secret russian spy, so to combat this they added the break key to instantly break the computer so that it won't be compromised. After the cold war ended, they released they didnt need to break the pc anymore, so they doubled it up as a pause key, but left break on there as a reminder of how close we came to the russians stealing the internet.

ahh, the 'pause' actually means that you should pause for a moment and think about the dangers of international communism? neat

spud
Aug 27, 2003

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
In countries such as Japan, that were never part of the cold war, this key is called パンツ, and pressing it delivers a pair of used panties within 3hrs, anywhere in Japan, to get you through the day. However, pressing it more than once a week is a criminal offence.

A ILL BREAKFAST
Jun 9, 2007

*unsheathes katana*
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Break_key

i found this extremely interesting and read the whole thing. thank u hector

spud
Aug 27, 2003

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

A ILL BREAKFAST posted:

This is just lies propagated by the Obama administration.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

i never thought about this before and now i'm angry at myself for not knowing what it does

thanks, hector

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

It was a secret button on classic Windows Operating Systems that was designed to make users slow down while using their keyboards. Accidentally hitting the Pause/Break button would break your operating system and was the #1 cause of people needing to reinstall the OS on a regular basis.

I hope that helps you out OP.

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

A ILL BREAKFAST posted:

tell me, dick head

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
It has the same purpose as the Scroll Lock key

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

angerbeet posted:

It has the same purpose as the Scroll Lock key

what does the scroll lock key do?

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob

Hector Beerlioz posted:

what does the scroll lock key do?

Turns on the Scroll Lock light

spud
Aug 27, 2003

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Scroll lock locks in the currently selected Spell Scroll and is really only used by Wizards nowadays.

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

I alone can see through the media bias.

I'm also stupid on a scale that can only be measured in Reddits.
It breaks your computer. Don't press it.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
it's for when it's all just too much and u need some help from your friends at Microsoft

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot

Nathilus posted:

It breaks your computer. Don't press it.

a star war betamax
Sep 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Gary’s Answer
Just pried my Pause\break key off of my keyboard and threw it into the trash-can OP. Thanks for the great thread!

Derpies
Mar 11, 2014

by sebmojo

spud posted:

Scroll lock locks in the currently selected Spell Scroll and is really only used by Wizards nowadays.

Anti-Semite leave our wizard sheriffs alone

Pontificating Ass
Aug 2, 2002

What Doth Life?
Hey in DOS it would pause most programs, even if you run something now in cmd.exe and press pause it will work like that, and if you hold control and press it will break out of the program I guess. Yup

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Hey OP, try pressing Windows Key + Break and see what happens ;)

Also, that key is labeled Unterbrechung on German keyboards, which means Degenerate Destruction. Hope that helps.

a star war betamax
Sep 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Gary’s Answer
To be fair.... the actual meaning of most German words is degenerate destruction

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost
So it's vestigial? like teeth in humans?

Shasta Orange Soda
Apr 25, 2007
the Break key dates back to the 1980s when breakdancing was still a big deal. it's useless for the modern dances of today

cnut
May 3, 2016

:f5h: :confused:

various cheeses
Jan 24, 2013

The pause/break key is like the appendix in humans. In older computers it was used to slow digestion of larger graphics so as to not upset the graphics box in your computer. Now, with a powerful modern graphics apparatus, the pause/break key is basically a cosmetic feature.

The scroll lock key locks the scroll of summoning on your computer so you don't accidentally summon a computer demon (kind of like an imp from Doom but sweatier). Just watch out when that light is off!

Hope this helps op.

Elusif
Jun 9, 2008

It makes people rage at you in Total Annihilation. It also desynced the poo poo out of the multiplayer and/or would straight out disconnect people. I miss that game...

spud
Aug 27, 2003

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

various cheeses posted:

The pause/break key is like the appendix in humans. In older computers it was used to slow digestion of larger graphics so as to not upset the graphics box in your computer. Now, with a powerful modern graphics apparatus, the pause/break key is basically a cosmetic feature.

The scroll lock key locks the scroll of summoning on your computer so you don't accidentally summon a computer demon (kind of like an imp from Doom but sweatier). Just watch out when that light is off!

Hope this helps op.

None of this is true and these lies are one of the reasons I will always vote for the Green party in America. We need to respect our native animals.

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

spud posted:

In countries such as Japan, that were never part of the cold war, this key is called パンツ, and pressing it delivers a pair of used panties within 3hrs, anywhere in Japan, to get you through the day.

:f5:

Bea Nanner
Oct 20, 2003

Je suis excité!
pause my break hole

ElectricSheep
Jan 14, 2006

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.
Push it five times while spinning in your computer chair and Chester Bennington will appear in your bathroom mirror

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

it either pauses your game or breaks the computer depending on which side of the key you press on

Skeleton Ape
Dec 21, 2008

Every once in a while it is considered nice to allow the magic elves working inside your computer to pause and take a break. I never press it :twisted:

various cheeses
Jan 24, 2013

ElectricSheep posted:

Push it five times while spinning in your computer chair and Chester Bennington will appear in your bathroom mirror

What if my bathroom doesn't have a mirror

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

8 track betamax posted:

Thanks for the great thread!

You're welcome and thank you for all the answers everyone

• Locked thread