Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
a robot killed a guy in dallas but that robot was being controlled by a human, so don't bother posting about it in here. post cars that murder people by themselves, especially if they have an ipad in the dashboard, or instead of one

atomicthumbs fucked around with this message at 08:47 on Jul 10, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

blowfish posted:

Self-driving cars allow the unwashed masses to experience more convenience and luxury at a lower price. This is good.

Driver of vehicle that costs $120,000, can't ever venture further than 125 miles from its charging station or risk getting stuck, has a worse interior than a ford fusion, and which has a computer whose function is to randomly murder the occupants of the car: I love my luxury car. It's very fast. Good acceleration

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
Bump

Bump

Bump

Bump

Bump

BUMP

BUMP

OH MY GOD

HELP ME!

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

Tautologicus posted:

i predict, that if this happens, people won't actually own the cars as the maintenance on them will be prohibitively expensive and/or complicated for the average consumer. instead, they will be a fleet vehicle, and one will be much like the other. and products will be sold to the passenger inside the car via advertising and tie-ins. as per usual. neutrality will fail due to the economics of the whole enterprise, and it will be a free for all among the tech companies to hoard their latest captive market for themselves. Sign into your Google Account to access your self driving car riding time period.

It's gonna be awful.

this is the dream of every silicon valley google exec and wannabe startup jockey and i'm looking forwards to being one of the few people who can visit things that are located on dirt roads or outside cellular coverage

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

did you really get mad enough to make a separate, tangential thread after the old one was closed

Iron Prince
Aug 28, 2005
Buglord
MUST. INDIVIDUALLY. REPLY. TO. ALL. POSTS.

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

So is there going to be a self driving car reference in Space Station 13 now.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

blowfish posted:

sensors and computers are cheap you know

which is why the tesla has one camera and a bad radar

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
Ok it's stuck on a fire hydrant but it still won't unlock the doors. The alarm keeps going off - I think it's laughing.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

machine learning enthusiast: finally, it's AI's time to shine! it'll get the attention it never got in the 80s! I will finally be vindic*is run over by overfitting neural network*

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

Germstore posted:

why do you continue to pretend the only self driving cars are going to be google pod cars?

I'd say, "well a self driving vehicle with off road capabilities would have a steering wheel" but then you say "the google car doesn't have a steering wheel!" and the cycle begins anew.

well, as far as we know right now, the only two kinds of self-driving cars are the Google kind that trundles into buses and the Tesla kind that decapitates its owners at 255 mph. Looking at current technology, it only makes sense to go from our current capabilities to imagine what sort of wondrous and pleasant future we could have

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

Murray Mantoinette
Jun 11, 2005

THE  POSTS  MUST  FLOW
Clapping Larry

Iron Prince posted:

MUST. INDIVIDUALLY. REPLY. TO. ALL. POSTS.

Heh, well let's see you reply to this post, jerkbag!

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

Germstore posted:

I'm not sure how seriously I take a think tank report written by non subject matter experts.

"RAND doesn't know anything, since they don't make self-driving cars. Tesla's press release said this was a statistical inevitability, and that their shareholders are proven right. I trust Elon, since he knows more about self-driving cars."

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

What is this thread even about? You are mad at cars?

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

Zzulu posted:

can't wait to be killed by my car

same, honestly

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
Hello. I am fine now. I was having an undetermined mental illness. Please come to the corner of 5th and Roseburg for free money and sex.

Iron Prince
Aug 28, 2005
Buglord

st1LL_51ngl3 posted:

Heh, well let's see you reply to this post, jerkbag!

Ok. Done.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

the worst thing is
Oct 3, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Ive Seen the Future, and It Will Suck

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

Tautologicus posted:

Ive Seen the Future, and It Will Suck

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

still nobody can answer the question of what an autopilot tesla does in reaction to a megawatt of pulsed rf at 2.4ghz aimed at the front radar

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

atomicthumbs posted:

still nobody can answer the question of what an autopilot tesla does in reaction to a megawatt of pulsed rf at 2.4ghz aimed at the front radar

Massive retaliation.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
Do not attempt this action it will not end well for you.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

what's it gonna do, smart guy? decapitate me?

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

me, talking to google car: OK Google, let's head off.
google car: *shows image of jared leto's the joker on infotainment system while aiming for the nearest semi trailer undercarriage at 99 mph* Command confirmed.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
Is that what you fear? Do all humans fear decapitation?

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

I'm sorry that robots are currently stealing your truck driver job, OP. There's nothing we can do about it, progress is relentless.

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

I alone can see through the media bias.

I'm also stupid on a scale that can only be measured in Reddits.

:eyepop:

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

thank god she didnt have any passengers

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
i think you bitches are just jelly because u want a tesla but you can't even afford the $5k to get on the wait list

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
you fat fucks probably quiver with envy when you see that the car can park itself "no more squeezing in and out of the spot with my fat rear end..."

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
Mordin stop trying you shoehorn your meltdowns into other people's meltdown threads. Make your own.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
idk why you people see some cussing and assume im super mad all the time and having a meltdown

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
I guess I'm just an optimist.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

Moridin920 posted:

i think you bitches are just jelly because u want a tesla but you can't even afford the $5k to get on the wait list

pretend i put the effort in to make a map of the united states with tiny little shaded blobs on the coasts and maybe in austin and chicago to indicate where you can drive with a tesla.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

Moridin920 posted:

idk why you people see some cussing and assume im super mad all the time and having a meltdown

you cuss a lot and also, like a meltdown, continue to react when you shouldn't, are very difficult to stop with methods that make sense to most humans, and are dense and energetic enough that you will slowly sink toward the center of the earth

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

Moridin920 posted:

you fat fucks probably quiver with envy when you see that the car can park itself "no more squeezing in and out of the spot with my fat rear end..."

unlike the other possibly misleading pictures I posted (tesla claims the model X crash there was the driver's fault), this one 100% definitively happened while the car was driving itself

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

atomicthumbs posted:

pretend i put the effort in to make a map of the united states with tiny little shaded blobs on the coasts and maybe in austin and chicago to indicate where you can drive with a tesla.

yeah but let's be real you don't want to go to 99% of the USA 99.99% of the time you are in it

like once in a great while you can take a car trip and then you can just rent a car or whatever bc you wouldn't take your daily driver on a big road trip like a rube anyway, right?

• Locked thread