Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
John Denver Hoxha
May 31, 2014

What a persistent nightmare!
....but enough about my posts

Citizen Tayne posted:

Maybe self-driving cars will be ready in thirty years.

Maybe I don't give a gently caress what your hot take on technology is but I just find people like you hilarious

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Citizen Tayne posted:

It is completely possible to stymie a Google self-driving car as a cyclist just by standing with your bike at a stop sign.

Didn't you admit you don't drive cars and you're whiny about self-driving cars because you're afraid they're going to run you down while you're walking/cycling through your white neighborhood

You're less-fat Three Olives

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

I’d make eye contact with him and fart. I did it all the time for like two years. I didn’t even know his full name, just heard that his coworkers thought he was a nut for complaining about “the guy who would fart on me in the break room”

John Denver Hoxha posted:

Maybe I don't give a gently caress what your hot take on technology is but I just find people like you hilarious

You're aware that they don't work as they are now in precipitation, right? How is a vehicle that refuses to work in rain or snow at all useful in most of the country? How is "doesn't work 150 days a year" a hot take?

Maybe they'll work that out in thirty years.

Apr 7, 2003

I’d make eye contact with him and fart. I did it all the time for like two years. I didn’t even know his full name, just heard that his coworkers thought he was a nut for complaining about “the guy who would fart on me in the break room”

EugeneJ posted:

Didn't you admit you don't drive cars and you're whiny about self-driving cars because you're afraid they're going to run you down while you're walking/cycling through your white neighborhood

You're less-fat Three Olives

What does any of this have to do with whether or not they're feasible?

Tinestram
Jan 13, 2006

Excalibur? More like "Needle"

Grimey Drawer

Citizen Tayne posted:

Maybe self-driving cars will be ready in thirty years.

well that's certainly a step up from claiming they'll never work

the next step is to acknowledge that we're mere years away and not decades, like any sane human being knows

Apr 7, 2003

Smart GBS technology guy: "They don't work if it's rainy, kill people if it's too sunny, and have a 125 mile range? Roll that poo poo out, we're ready for prime time!"

Apr 7, 2003

runupon cracker posted:

the next step is to acknowledge that we're mere years away and not decades, like any sane human being knows

I've been saying they're decades off since I started posting about it, which is also the opinion of the guy in charge of the project at Google.

These threads are full of people who know nothing about them but think they're going to be commercially available and rolling around on a street near you any minute. That's not happening.

We are not "mere years" away either. You're kidding yourself.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Citizen Tayne posted:

What does any of this have to do with whether or not they're feasible?

You're a sad little man with bad opinions that don't reflect reality

Apr 7, 2003

EugeneJ posted:

You're a sad little man with bad opinions that don't reflect reality

Big words from a guy championing a self-driving car that gets confused by a squirt gun.

Apr 7, 2003

Sorry boss, have to take my 130th vacation day. I can't get into work because it's raining.

John Denver Hoxha
May 31, 2014

Citizen Tayne posted:

You're aware that they don't work as they are now in precipitation, right? How is a vehicle that refuses to work in rain or snow at all useful in most of the country? How is "doesn't work 150 days a year" a hot take?

Maybe they'll work that out in thirty years.

Again , how dont you see, I couldn't give a gently caress less about any of this , but the fact that even though you don't really know any technical details about any of this but feel qualified to speak as a common sense expert by piecing together other peoples broad "common sense" takes ion the technology and have spent pages ranting about irresponsible companies using this knowledge is hilarious. But maybe one day they'll finally make an electric motor that can generate enough torque to accelerate

Apr 7, 2003

Again , how dont you see, I couldn't give a gently caress less about any of this , but the fact that even though you don't really know any technical details about any of this but feel qualified to speak as a common sense expert by piecing together other peoples broad "common sense" takes ion the technology and have spent pages ranting about irresponsible companies using this knowledge is hilarious. But maybe one day they'll finally make an electric motor that can generate enough torque to accelerate

The "electric motors don't make torque" was someone else, not me.

It's an acknowledged fact that the LIDAR systems don't work in rain. That makes them useless in most of the country.

You couldn't give a gently caress less about anything that interrupts your preconceived notions? Got it. Keep living in that fantasy world, your anime future is right around the corner.

John Denver Hoxha
May 31, 2014

Keep loving that chicken... I wasn't arguing just saying that you sound like a dumbass and a douchebag

Apr 7, 2003

Anyone with information that contradicts your preconceived notions is a dumbass and a douchebag? Cool. Don't let me interrupt this fantasy world you're building in your head.

Apr 7, 2003

"Self-driving cars will be here any minute" - GBS guy who mostly posts about video games and doesn't know what LIDAR is

John Denver Hoxha
May 31, 2014

Anybody who spends pages rambling on about something they don't really know anything about and doesn't really matter is a loving loser and a tool, so yes in so many words.

Apr 7, 2003

Anybody who spends pages rambling on about something they don't really know anything about and doesn't really matter is a loving loser and a tool, so yes in so many words.
Lol, which is exactly what you've spent countless pages in two threads doing.

If this is how you act when someone contradicts your weird little fantasy, I'd hate to see what you say to your mom when she tells you to turn the console off and go to bed.

John Denver Hoxha
May 31, 2014

Lmao you're even worse at insulting people than you are at making any sort of technical argument , bravo.

I'm gonna go cry to mommy my fake world has been shattered

Apr 7, 2003

You have nothing to add, you just come in and attack people for no reason on a subject you don't know anything about. Let the adults talk here.

Apr 7, 2003

Guy who knows things: "Car doesn't work during precipitation, which makes it pretty useless as a primary mode of transportation"

Video game guy: "nice hot take, retard"

crabcakes66
May 24, 2012

by exmarx
I'm very upset.

John Denver Hoxha
May 31, 2014

Guy who is not very good at coming up with clever "guy who..." Posts:

Citizen Tayne posted:

Guy who knows things: "Car doesn't work during precipitation, which makes it pretty useless as a primary mode of transportation"

Video game guy: "nice hot take, retard"

Apr 7, 2003

Guy who is not very good at coming up with clever "guy who..." Posts:

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
remember that old 'beatles' hit 'baby you can drive my car?' if old john and george were still around they would probably have called it 'google you can drive my car!'

Apr 7, 2003

I can't wait for self-driving cars to finally be available to the general public in thirty years. Gonna make my life a whole lot easier.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

atomicthumbs posted:

If you buy a Model S with the longest range (the 85D IIRC) and buy a Ford Fusion Ecoboost AWD it will only take you 99 years to pay off the difference in gas savings at current gas prices

try the math yourself

well I have a hybrid Lexus for the long haul stuff

dad gay. so what
Feb 18, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
that truck in nice killed a whole bunch of people

Apr 7, 2003

https://forums.teslamotors.com/forum/forums/easy-bypass-put-hands-wheel-autopilot-nag-71-review-tips

Tesla hosts a thread on their forum explaining how to bypass the dead man's switch on "autopilot". Thanks for helping to decapitate dumb rich people, Elon!

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy
I want to hack a Tesla so that it barrels into a crowd at Burning Man

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I'm gonna send 100 self-driving Ubers to Citizen Tayne's house just to see how much he shoots

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

Butthead posted:

Autopilot should not be blamed for any of the accidents as the driver has the ability to override it any time and should be aware of what is happening.

Just like Pokemon Go should not blamed for idiots crossing highways and getting hit by vehicles.

Why can't anybody accept responsibility for their actions any more?

until it jerks the steering wheel into a wall because the lane markers disappeared in a construction zone and you don't have time to figure out what's going on and correct :rolleyes:

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

Elukka posted:

This is a thing but it's not that one-sided really. An electric car will lose a predictable amount of range in cold temperatures that you would take into account before buying one. A conventional car's battery will similarly lose power in cold temperatures which regularly causes cars with worn batteries to not start at all.

Lmao

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Butthead posted:

Why can't anybody accept responsibility for their actions any more?

because everyone is angling for a lawsuit

A Stupid Baby
Dec 31, 2002

lip up fatty

runupon cracker posted:

Cell phones sucked for a really long time but the day will come eventually when your transportation fleet access is bundled in with your cable bill like god damned everything else

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

man with anime avatar sticks his fingers in his ears and goes "la, la, la, la I can't hear you" when confronted by sensible yinzer

A Stupid Baby
Dec 31, 2002

lip up fatty
Actually thinking about having to try to convince some rear end in a top hat at Cox that their cars keep missing my house because my neighbor decided to pull up all his grass and put down rocks instead makes me want to stockpile some el caminos or something

Apr 7, 2003

The year is 2046, because that is thirty years from 2016. I use my mobile app to summon an Uber autonomous cab to take me to work. It arrives with several major body panels missing. The door pops open and I slide into the back seat, careful to avoid the piles of feces and used needles littering the floor. The car shudders off like an old shopping cart, because two of the tires are blown. "This is progress," I think to myself.

Apr 7, 2003

Edit != quote

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot

Citizen Tayne posted:

The year is 2046, because that is thirty years from 2016. I use my mobile app to summon an Uber autonomous cab to take me to work. It arrives with several major body panels missing. The door pops open and I slide into the back seat, careful to avoid the piles of feces and used needles littering the floor. The car shudders off like an old shopping cart, because two of the tires are blown. "This is progress," I think to myself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
i can't wait for the day i can finally tell my car to go park itself in the harvard yard

• Locked thread