Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
And the best character in the Resistance franchise is--
Nathan Hale
Joseph Capelli
Seriously, crow, update PoP2008
View Results

• Locked thread
Crocodylus Pontifex
Jul 26, 2007
The Space Pope!
The premise for this lp is flawed, seeing as how the best character in the Resistance franchise is Cartwright, who's character has only gotten more awesome as time goes on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Crocodylus Pontifex posted:

The premise for this lp is flawed, seeing as how the best character in the Resistance franchise is Cartwright, who's character has only gotten more awesome as time goes on.

Hmmm... fair.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Jul 15, 2016

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

God, FPS's from last gen were all so same-y. It's a good thing we have New Doom and Overwatch these days to distract us from Call of Duty clones.

Edit: And I say that before I get to the part where Blind Sally says there's no regen health. At least there's that.

get that OUT of my face fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Jul 12, 2016

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Y-Hat posted:

Edit: And I say that before I get to the part where Blind Sally says there's no regen health. At least there's that.

That's one of the few things going for it. This game is going to get hella same-y before the LP is out. It's my biggest complaint with the game.

His was a fate worse than death. He went on to be a character in Resistance: Retribution.

Sally fucked around with this message at 06:40 on Jul 23, 2016

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Blind Sally posted:

That's one of the few things going for it. This game is going to get hella same-y before the LP is out. It's my biggest complain with the game.
It looks like the Bullseye's ability to lock on to enemies somewhat negates the need for regen health, since you can just duck behind cover and shoot to your heart's content, at least until your ammo runs out.

In terms of protagonists, Capelli is certainly no Dash Rendar.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Y-Hat posted:

In terms of protagonists, Capelli is certainly no Dash Rendar.

Yeah!

For one, he's not as handsome

Crocodylus Pontifex
Jul 26, 2007
The Space Pope!

Blind Sally posted:

His was a fate worse than death. He went on to be a character in Resistance: Retribution.

But Retribution was awesome! I mean yeah it was on the PSP, but nobody's perfect.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

But Retribution was awesome! I mean yeah it was on the PSP, but nobody's perfect.

Guerrilla Games made the same mistake with Killzone: Liberation. It was one of the better games in that series too, and it also got shoved off to the PSP to suffer in obscurity.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

It also managed what this game didn't, giving the player an rear end in a top hat protagonist who was disliked by all his coworkers, which lead to problems for everyone down the line.

Further, it confirmed that Cartwright was the real hero of Resistance.

Hale: Loses his squad, then HELPS SAVE ENGLAND, then fucks up, gets America taken over by Chimera, and gets turned and killed. Eventually made Lt, the rank most famously associated with Gorman from Aliens.

Cartwright: Saves England, then all of Western Europe. In the same time period, promoted to general, despite not being part of a secret super-soldier program.

IBlameRoadSuess
Feb 20, 2012

Fucking technology...

At least I HAVE THIS!
Breaking news, the Resistance game on the Vita, whatever it's called, is really bad.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Yeah, I was being facetious. Retribution was actually a pretty good game, especially for a PSP game. I'd put it right up there with Killzone: Liberation (though I still think Liberation is the better of the two and think it's a travesty that Retribution ranked so much higher--I appreciated that Guerrilla actually made their PSP offshoot themselves). The devs that did the Syphon Filter games made Retribution, so maybe we can convince Lunethex to do an LP of it.

chiasaur11 posted:

Hale: Loses his squad, then HELPS SAVE ENGLAND, then fucks up, gets America taken over by Chimera, and gets turned and killed. Eventually made Lt, the rank most famously associated with Gorman from Aliens.

Cartwright: Saves England, then all of Western Europe. In the same time period, promoted to general, despite not being part of a secret super-soldier program.

tbf, Hale losing his squad in Fall of Man wasn't entirely up to him. He was only a sergeant and pretty much everyone died when they first landed, either due to Hybrids or Crawlers. Only Hale survived because of his RESISTANCE. Also, I wouldn't put the American invasion on him either. The Chimera invaded America of their own volition. Nothing Hale could've done to stop that. To get real technical, Hale wasn't even the person who let Daedalus out of his cage--that was Richard Blake. (That said, it really was their last option available if they themselves wanted to survive). So really, Hale spent the rest of Resistance 2 cleaning up his superior's mistakes (he DID kill Daedalus in the end). His biggest fault was leading Echo Squad into a trap and getting half of them killed.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

IBlameRoadSuess posted:

Breaking news, the Resistance game on the Vita, whatever it's called, is really bad.

So I've heard. It's the only one I haven't played.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

IBlameRoadSuess posted:

:siren:Your avatar owns:siren:

IBlameRoadSuess
Feb 20, 2012

Fucking technology...

At least I HAVE THIS!

CJacobs posted:

:siren:Your avatar owns:siren:

Why thank you. I dug it up out of the Revelations 2 thread.

Blind Sally posted:

So I've heard. It's the only one I haven't played.

It's a passable FPS on the Vita, which means it's a less than good FPS. It's functional but bland as heck. They could have stood to learn from Killzone Mercenary at the very least.

You play as a firefighter who has to help the "Resistance" fight the Chimera when they invade Staten Island. It's super bland and the graphics are ugly as sin.

The only redeeming part is that the game has Henry Stillman for some cutscenes, but it's not that great.

I also just found out that it is the only other entry in the series that has Grey Jacks in it. Apparently they used them for some reason when invading the US.

IBlameRoadSuess fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Jul 12, 2016

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.

Blind Sally posted:

Yeah, I was being facetious. Retribution was actually a pretty good game, especially for a PSP game. I'd put it right up there with Killzone: Liberation (though I still think Liberation is the better of the two and think it's a travesty that Retribution ranked so much higher--I appreciated that Guerrilla actually made their PSP offshoot themselves). The devs that did the Syphon Filter games made Retribution, so maybe we can convince Lunethex to do an LP of it.

I have tried a bunch of things but this game is too crashtastic on emulator, and it's a well documented issue across the versions. In my case it's just crashing on level end but I've seen reports of disappearing bosses which is a game ruining issue. Otherwise I was hopeful to have recorded after what I saw because I had a lot of fun and I wanted badly to just up and message crow "Yo how soon can we record this" and I had all my spiel ready to go. I'll keep experimenting but I'm not gonna run a game if I can't get through clean. If only PPSSPP was as solid as PCSX2.

e. Downloaded a save file and had it crash upon starting another level :v:

Sorry, I would have totally done this if it worked.

Lunethex fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Jul 12, 2016

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Well that's a shame :(

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
I've never had my hopes and dreams lifted only to have them dashed against rocks like an overripe cantaloupe so quickly. Thanks for looking into it anyways; I thought I was just making an off-hand joke!

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

It's time to get the plot moving. We've seen where Capelli wound up after Resistance 2, but now we need a reason to force him back into the war so that we can get him away from his family and start fighting the Chimera proper. That reason comes in the form of Dr. Malikov:

Of course, he's gotten older and isn't as spry as his file image from Fall of Man would suggest--

Malikov has had an interesting life. A gifted biologist, he has spent much of his latter career trying to combat the Chimera. He is a man who genuinely wants to help humankind survive. His methods are unorthodox, yes, and sure his human experimentation has often done as much damage as it has good (see: the Cloven), but nearly every big win against the Chimera has been a direct result of his efforts. Of course, not everyone sees it that way.

Take, for example, the Alliance for American Autonomy, an American terrorist group dedicated to isolating American from the rest of the world and deposing then-President Noah Grace from office. Grace's tenure as president was a decided totalitarian one, with complete government censorship of the media. Grace was, of course, trying to hide the existence of the Chimera from the American public, but the AAA didn't take kindly to his authoritarian measures. They quickly became a militant group and responded by bombing the Canadian and Mexican borders, attacking and seizing military convoys, and vandalizing Army recruitment centres. They also had moles deep within the government administration and put out independently published newsletters attacking the government. Project Abraham and Dr. Malikov were often the subject of these newsletters.

For your viewing pleasure are two of such newsletters from "America First - America Only". These ones specifically pertain to Capelli and Malikov:

"Real-Life Frankenstein" indeed. The AAA were raided and their America First - American Only printing press destroyed after only seven issues, at which point they went underground and disappeared from the radar. Their "anti-everyone-but-America" policy was a bit nutty, but I can't blame them for wanting to take down Noah Grace. Apart from the censorship and his generally authoritarian government, he seemed like a pretty awful guy. If Project Abraham and the Sentinel program were to fail to protect America, Grace had come up with a contingency plan called "Project Omega". Basically it involved negotiating with Daedalus to spare the USA while "letting" the Chimera occupy the rest of the world.

Yeah, so basically the worst and dumbest plan ever. In one of the Resistance novels, Nathan Hale assassinates Noah Grace for his dumb as heck plan. The death is covered up by the government, Vice President Harvey McCullen then took office and quickly set to work reversing Grace's efforts in order to better prepare the USA for the war against the Chimera.

Auger

"A Chimeran rifle capable of shooting high-energy bolts that burn through solid objects, and increase in power by doing so. Effective at medium range. Ideal for attacking enemies hiding behind cover.

L1 - Looks through Auger scope to highlight any enemies nearby, including those in cover.
R1 - Fires powerful energy bolts that burrows through solid objects to strike enemies in cover. Shots that have burrowed through cover increase in power.
R2 - Deploys an energy shield that blocks all enemy projectiles EXCEPT other Auger bolts.

Upgrade 1:
R1 fires three parallel energy bolts at a time, instead of one.
Upgrade 2:
R2 fires a more powerful shield which will damage nearby enemies."

The Auger is great. It's basically your "I win" weapon. If you're in a difficult situation, the Auger can easily dig you out. Like I say in the commentary, don't treat it like a machine gun. Treat it like a semi-automatic. Every shot counts. Maybe not the most dynamic to play a shootman game, but conserving Auger ammo like this will absolutely destroy any conflict you find yourself in. Of course, there's not a tonne of ammo so if you're playing on harder difficulties try not to use ammo when you don't need to.

Marksman

"A high-powered medium-to-long range rifle. Ideal for attacking single enemies at a distance. Secondary fire is very effective for dealing damage to multiple enemies at once.

R1 - Fires a three-round burst of highly accurate bullets. Headshots are particularly devastating.
R2 - Deploys a mini-turret that will attach to the environment and fire at nearby enemies.

Upgrade 1:
R1 fires more powerful rounds. L1 uses new attached scope for better long range visibility.
Upgrade 2:
R2 deploys a more powerful mini-turret that stays alive longer."

A great and accurate rifle. Its three-round burst deals a lot of damage and can easily kill most Chimera in a single shot or two if you're accurate. Once you get the first upgrade it's basically the Marksman from Resistance 2.

Hedgehog

L2 lobs a Chimeran anti-personnel grenade. When it lands, the Hedgehog becomes a mine trap, staying in the ground until it is triggered by a nearby enemy.

Steelhead

A heavily-armoured advanced variant of the Chimeran Hyrbid. The Steelhead tends to stay in the rear of a fight and attack from a distance using its matter-penetrating Auger rifle. Steelheads have a heightened sense of self-preservation, and will use Auger shields to protect themselves when attacked.

Primary Weapon - Auger
Secondary Weapon - Hedgehog

Survival Tip: Flank them when they deploy a shield.

Longlegs

The Longlegs is a mechanically enhanced Chimeran Hybrid able to leap high into the air and pounce with deadly force. It uses its increased mobility to traverse complex environments and find superior attack positions above its targets.

Primary Weapon - Bullseye

Survival Tip: Shoot it with a Bullseye tag when it lands--all subsequent shots will steer toward it, even if it jumps to another perch.

Brawler

This brutal creature stands roughly 20 feet tall, and approximately 30,000
pounds. It was developed by the Chimeran as an anti-infantry and anti-armor unit. Its
power lies in its massive size and strength, but this is also its weakness. The incredible
heat generated by this creature requires several cooling apparatuses which, when
destroyed, cause this normally-indestructible creature to perish from its own heat.

Primary Weapon - Charge and Pound.
Secondary Weapon - Air-Fuel grenades.

Survival Tip: Fire Magnum round at its weak points, then detonate them to cause
maximum damage.

Sally fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Jul 30, 2016

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment
Apparently no black people have survived the Chimera onslaught, which makes a depressing kind of sense in a 50s America.

Marshal Radisic
Oct 9, 2012

You know, it's a pity they never did anything with the Cloven. There were little throwaway details throughout all the games about feral Russian soldiers following in the wake of the Chimeran invasion, scavenging technology and apparently up to...something or other. Isn't the most we get out of them a quick visit to a Cloven lair in Retribution?

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Joseph Capelli's Desperate Struggle

I'm glad that Mr.McPotatoFace's lineage has survived alternate universes

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Two things stand out to me in that video. First, that the Auger seems like a bad weapon. Not like, weak, but the whole point of weapons is to interact in interesting ways with the game's systems. The Auger... ignores the game's systems, as long as you have ammo. You don't have to find cover, since you've got it included in your gun. You don't have to poke out of cover to shoot ever, since the gun shoots through everything. You don't have to ID targets, since the gun does that too. Just seems a bit like overkill.

Second, that the atmosphere... isn't working for me. It just doesn't feel like these people have spent the past few years knowing they're one of the last little clusters of survivors on Earth. They don't feel like they've spent the last eight years in the shadow of an alien invasion.

It's not that they're friendly, or anything like that. In real life, people in a crisis tend to band together. It's... I guess it's a lot of little things coming together. Like it being eight years after the last defense fell, but that guy's just showing his mom how to use a pistol. The way no-one's putting any thought into what they're hoping for, how they're coping with the long term. I'd expect either despair or a concrete "This Is How We Win!" effort. Not that "How We Win!" would actually be a way to win, but makework helps stave off desperation. Here, it's just Small Town Americana in the middle of the apocalypse, and it doesn't flow.

But I'm sure there'll be more to complain about soon enough.

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!

Blind Sally posted:

This new gun is the Marksman. It was a fantastic sort of a, it wasn't like a sniper rifle but like a... longer rifle?
So you're saying it's a marksman rifle? :v:

I liked those several runs around the central building with the brute grunting in the background until the "wait, where IS it?" realization finally set in.
Also at least two instances of friendly and enemy AIs staring at each other face to face?

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

If you will not serve in combat, you will serve on the firing line!

Regarding the church you could argue that it's a comment from the developers about the state the US is in the game.

For many Americans the church is a focal point in their life. They go to church weekly, they might be involved in church activities and so forth. The small American village with it's own church is practically a staple in media. Especially when you're talking about the 1950's somewhat.

In this mission the church is a literal escape from the horrors of the Chimera, a chance to slip away and start life again. It's even modelled to look like your average small town church. Something that many American goons might have seen in real life.

But its destruction in the end signifies that not even something as American as a small town church is safe from the Chimera. They seek to erase everything that makes America what it is.

You could say it's a mix of hamfisted subtlety.

Or I might be talking out of my rear end about this whole thing. Who knows.

White Coke
May 29, 2015
It seems like half the guns are designed to let you sit back and fire without exposing yourself to the enemy. Which is cool, but seems at odds with the more aggressive style of play that the lack of regenerating health encourages.

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment
Also, hale got killed by a gun that wasn't even available in the game. A shame, as the colt 1911 is the most American of guns. :patriot:

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Fish Noise posted:

So you're saying it's a marksman rifle? :v:

i just looked it up--i had no idea that was a "thing" :eng99:

chiasaur11 posted:

[...] the Auger seems like a bad weapon. Not like, weak, but the whole point of weapons is to interact in interesting ways with the game's systems. The Auger... ignores the game's systems, as long as you have ammo. You don't have to find cover, since you've got it included in your gun. You don't have to poke out of cover to shoot ever, since the gun shoots through everything. You don't have to ID targets, since the gun does that too. Just seems a bit like overkill.

Yeeeeeah, it's a bit overkill. I will say that the Auger has been dumbed down with each successive game. In Fall of Man the shield it dropped was tiny. Like, literally just a rectangle big enough to cover Hale. Also, it didn't highlight enemies, so you had to manually sight enemies with the reticle, hoping it would turn red. In Resistance 2, enemies were actually highlighted and the shield you could drop was an actual semi-circle that a few people could hide behind (it made for a great co-op weapon online). In Resistance 3, it--well, you saw what it did. It's basically the Resistance 2 Auger, at the moment. Once you level it up, though, it gets even more absurdly broken. First tier level fires three shots in a line making it even easier to hit enemies. Second tier drops a bigger shield that damages nearby enemies.

There's, uh, really not a lot of Auger ammo in the game, so you really can't use the gun a lot. I suppose that's one way the devs tried to address that concern?

I do feel like it was a bit more ominous in Fall of Man. The gun is first introduced as you are making your way down a narrow alleyway when suddenly bolts of energy start flying through the wall killing you and any companions. You basically have to play this game of go-go-stop, ducking and crouching to avoid getting shot before turning the corner to come face to face the these towering Steelheads bearing down on you. It was a pretty tense moment. Augers do add a bit of variety to battles if you're fighting Steelheads, as then in that case there really is no safe place to take cover. They can and will find you no matter where you go, so you need to take them out of the equation quickly.

White Coke posted:

It seems like half the guns are designed to let you sit back and fire without exposing yourself to the enemy. Which is cool, but seems at odds with the more aggressive style of play that the lack of regenerating health encourages.

It's really just the Auger and Bullseye that let you do most of your firing without exposing yourself. Every other gun would be at home in any other sci fi FPS. Though we only have four guns at the moment and two of them are the Auger and Bullseye, so I totally get what you're saying :v:

Klaus88 posted:

Also, hale got killed by a gun that wasn't even available in the game. A shame, as the colt 1911 is the most American of guns. :patriot:

Well, if Capelli used the in-game HE Magnum afterwards he would've had to use to second function to explode Hale's head. Have him try and explain that one to his superior officers.

White Coke
May 29, 2015
If he had exploded Hale's head with the Magnum's secondary fire it would have been a hell of a lot funnier, and more in line with Capelli's previous characterization. Less of a mercy killing and more of an angry and defiant gesture against Hale's perceived treachery.

rudecyrus
Nov 6, 2009

fuck you trolls
I'm surprised Capelli's family wasn't killed, as is standard for 99% of these types of games.

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!

Blind Sally posted:

Well, if Capelli used the in-game HE Magnum afterwards he would've had to use to second function to explode Hale's head. Have him try and explain that one to his superior officers.
You could create an entire skul-gun around this, and how it was the point where Capelli really started to change as a person. Like he fires the shot and instinctively starts reaching for the detonator but stops, "Wait. Oh. Ohhhh... poo poo" as for the first time in his life he considers not just the immediate consequence, but also the chain of them following up, then carefully switches his gun for Hale's so he doesn't set it off later. :v:

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Weird coinky dink I just finished watching QuarkJets playthrough of R1 and R2. Am looking forward to seeing this one in all its glory.

Also Resistance 2 was good you jerks.

Gideon020
Apr 23, 2011
I had this game. I managed to unlock unlimited ammo.

And then the loving [String of unintelligible swearing follows] save file got corrupted.

Ben Kasack
Dec 27, 2010
The game as a whole is okay, by shooter standards, the guns are different, but the story...my god is it so hamfisted.

The very end pisses me off so much. Susan argues she wants a better life for her kid. Joe says he might not come back if her gore. Susan: "Don't make me choose." Bitch, you CHOSE your son over your husband. That alone should have sent Joe into a fury rage but instead, he simply accepts it as his lot in life and heads off to possible certain death, telling the doc to piss off with a resigned voice rather than yelling and screaming, possible physically assaulting him some.

I don't think having a kid just makes all the hate and anger go away. Pushes it back, hides it so the kid doesn't see it, sure. But it doesn't make it go away. The Capelli from R1 & R2 is dead and what we have is just a "Sad Dad" who looks like Capelli.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Just wanted to let you folks know that Blind Sally has been pretty busy lately, so updates might be a bit slow. On the bright side, he wanted me to make a banner for him for this LP and here's what I came up with.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
Capelli doesn't look angry int hat picture, more surprised.

cambrian obelus
Sep 14, 2010

I've never seen a French woman before!
Soiled Meat
I'm getting more "The Mystery of the Druids" vibe myself.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
hmmmm

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
Aw, man, that looks great! Both versions! Thanks, CJakes!

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

I misspoke a few times in the video: (1) I meant to say that the Rossmore shotgun's concussion grenades don't do any damage until you level it up (2) It's not Crawlers that collect human bodies for conversion, it's the aptly (though uninspired) named Carriers--they were basically wiped out due to the events of Resistance: Retribution and have since been replaced by Spinners.

Spinner are house cat-sized Chimera that collect human bodies and weave them into cocoons to begin the conversion process. Their existence has allowed the Chimeran to rely less and less on Conversion Centres for creating new hybrids. Conversion Centres are still required to apply any mechanical implants on Hybrids and other strains, but Spinners are able to at least start the process. How exactly Spinners work is kind of a mystery. No one is clear where they come from, where they go, and whether or not human bodies are required to make more. It's theorized that Spinners are created in a similar process to that of Leapers--Leapers are adult Crawlers who have failed to find a human host to infect and continued to grow in size and shape.

Grims are the by-product of failed conversions. Infecting a metropolis with Grims is an excellent way to wipe out human resistance, but it provides little in terms of giving strength to the Chimera; Grims wind up going feral and are dangers to humans and Chimera alike. While Grims are frail and unintelligent, they are fast and vicious. It's not uncommon for a swarm of Grims to overwhelm even larger Chimera such as Steelheads or Ravagers.

On the topic of the Kraken, it was a boring boss fight in Resistance 2 so its presence in this game as a hollowed out corpse is fitting, but hey, it brought about some neat-o concept art:

Anyways, fun lore aside, this level is alright. Cool atmosphere. Not a lot to do but sit around and wait for the shooting gallery to start. Still, cool atmosphere. Insomniac put a lot of effort into the mood of this level and it shows. But seriously, Insomniac really loves this boat level. In fact, here's a behind the scenes video discussing their thought process: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G3PRNUTkkWM

Advertising the game as a "travel" experience was done with the very first teaser trailer--it was a live action one, and pretty decent to boot. Very atmospheric. Sets a great tone. Regardless, I'm happy to see the devs were so passionate about the boat level, but as far as actual gameplay is concerned, sitting around on a small boat and shooting at things trying to get on isn't the most engaging thing to do. Still, this is a pretty unique moment that stands out in the game, so Resistance 3 is still doin' alright at this point.

Rossmore 239 Shotgun

"A sturdy, effective combat shotgun. Its powerful buckshot makes it ideal for
close-quarters fighting against multiple enemies. Not effective at longer distances.

R1 - Fires a blast of buckshot pellets in a close spread pattern.
R2 - Fires a concussion grenade that explodes on contact.

Upgrade 1:
R1 fires incendiary rounds, causing additional fire damage to enemies

Upgrade 2:
Arsonist Grenades"

It's a shotgun. Not exactly the same as previous games, those being the Rossmore 236 and 238 and R3's version being the 239, but more or less the same. There's the concussion grenade that's a bit different. That's okay. It's not super useful until you upgrade them to be incendiary.

At this point in the game, I'm kind of bummed out that the only new weapon of the series thus far is the EMP Grenade. It's new to Resistance, but the concept of an EMP is not new, clever, or original. Considering how bizarre the weapons in earlier Resistance games could be (and the fact that Insomniac also developed the Ratchet & Clank series), it's a little disappointing that 1/4 of the way into Resistance 3 we've only been given weapons that we've already seen and used in previous Resistance games. Still, our weapon wheel has a lot of empty slots in it, so there's still hope.

Ice Blocks

"Ice everywhere. Very thick--grows around those alien tube things. Ice axe don't work.
Bring guns next time. But watch out for the blast roots. One shot and they blow up like
a piece of goddamn dynamite."

Change of Strategy

"The Chimera have changed their strategy - they used to capture us, send us to
conversion centers and turn us into Hybrids, or worse. Now they kill us, and just leave
our bodies to rot. Why the change? Alas, it is a mystery to me. To uncover the Chimeran
plan, I must look to their history, their origin, their true nature."

Malikov Journals are a bit of unique intel in that Dr. Malikov will speak over them. Also, most intel document images correspond 1-to-1 with what is typed up in the game's text, but Malikov doesn't actually read what is written on his journal pages. Instead, he muses on whatever the topic at hand is. It's a nice touch.

Grim

This bloodthristy creature can be found ambling about in towns and cities across the
world. Once humans, it has now turned feral from exposure to the Chimera virus. It
often travels in mobs of other Grims and Leeches, and will stop at nothing to find and
devour human flesh.

Primary Attack - Charge and melee
Secondary Attack - Throwing rocks and flaming debris.

Survival Tip: Keep them at a distance. If they get close, use the Rossmore or the
Atomizer to dispatch them in a groups.

Leaper

This small-like Chimera has evolved into a fearsome predator. First developed
by the Chimera to seek out and infect hiding humans, this species of Chimera has now
gone feral. Its signature webbing is evidence that Leapers are close by. These
determined creatures will crawl on floors, walls and ceilings to track down their prey.

Primary Attack - Leaping bite attack.
Secondary Attack - Blinding venom spit.

Survival Tip: Use weapons that have a large damage spread. Rossmore and Magnum
Secondary fire are very effective.

Dropship

The Chimeran dropship is a flying transport used to deliver Chimeran ground troops
into battle. The outer shell is protected with thick armor that is impervious to most
attacks. A powerful plasma cannon, attached to the hull, is used to hunt and kill hostile
forces.

Goliath

This Chimeran automaton is able to destroy the whole city blocks with a single crushing
step. It is used to attack large targets such as military bases and small cities. The
Chimera have developed several models over the years, resulting in the most current
version which stands over 300 feet tall and has no known weaknesses.

Primary Attack - High-explosive, heat seeking rockets.

Survival Tip: Avoid at all costs.

Shock Drone

Shock Drones serve as small but relentless hunters. They typically move in groups, and
tend to scout the areas around larger mechanical hunters, such as the Goliath. Once a
Shock Drone has discovered a target, it will lock on and continue to attack until
destroyed.

Primary Attack - High-powered electrical discharge.

Survival Tip: Place a Marksman Mini-turret on the ground along its path of approach--
when the drones approach the turret will attack them continuously.

Sally fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Jul 30, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
PYF: Little thing(s) in games

Paintball mode

• Locked thread