Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
And the best character in the Resistance franchise is--
Nathan Hale
Joseph Capelli
Seriously, crow, update PoP2008
View Results

• Locked thread
White Coke
May 29, 2015

Blind Sally posted:

Please, that level comes after Ravenholm.

How soon can we expect to see the gravity gun?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I don't know what you're talking about, there's lots of gravity already. This sad dad story is real heavy stuff, man!

White Coke
May 29, 2015
That's it! A gun that shoots dying children. No force in the whole universe is more powerful than man-pain.

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!
Hahaha Jesus Christ that boss, that stealth segment, and that justification of the DEATH TO HELICOPTERS platform.

John Liver posted:

Also yes, that's an obvious snag on the Half Life 2 gunship fight. They've tried to mix it up by wrecking the bridge, making the terrain tougher, and adding ground enemies, but I mean, wow. The gunship screams in pain and everything, after all 8-ish rocket hits. But to be fair, the Half Life 2 gunship takes 7 hits from the RPG if you're on hard mode. But then, this is Resistance on normal difficulty. But ... yeah, that fight lasts too long. Four hits, five hits. Trim it down, Insomniac.
I seem to recall the HL2 gunship was also surprisingly clever in that it'd try to shoot down incoming missiles, making the player have to mess around with the laser guidance function AND getting the gunship to shoot at something that's not the player.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Fish Noise posted:

Hahaha Jesus Christ that boss, that stealth segment, and that justification of the DEATH TO HELICOPTERS platform.

I seem to recall the HL2 gunship was also surprisingly clever in that it'd try to shoot down incoming missiles, making the player have to mess around with the laser guidance function AND getting the gunship to shoot at something that's not the player.

Yeah, the gunships would target rockets and even a single bullet would knock your rocket out of the air. You needed to not only jump out and shoot when the dropship wasn't firing, you needed to juke the rocket around and do things like take it behind the dropship and swing it around to hit it in the rear to avoid having it get shot down. The dropship fights were also really fun because the dropships were incredibly dynamic in their movement, and the physics-based everything in Half-Life 2 meant they seemed to have a real weight to their motions. And the awesomeness of the debris smashing down wherever the dropship was destroyed and scattering across the ground.

NejD
Oct 3, 2013
Ok so ive just caught up on the thread and there are a bunch of poor design decisions that stand out for varying reasons.

Why does Hale magically have a protein that stops the virus and more importantly why does it not stop him transforming and why did he keep the regenerating health ect but Capelli doesn't.

I don't think health packs work in the game very well it doesn't mesh with the gun play when half of the guns you have so far are designed for mid-long range combat and the levels are designed with reasonably large open areas, the health bar isn't large enough to run in and close the gap but you can just as easily take chip damage and be stuck held down hoping the enemies happen to miss when you pop up having some kind of middle ground like halo reach's shield and health or far cry 3s limited health regen would both be good fixes. Or you could have a much slower than previous regening health gauge(this would also give the auger a nice niche of use when on low health behind cover rather than the broken exploit when enemies cant find you) which you can even bring into the story to say the protein only slowed the virus limiting the positive effects and giving the people infected more time, this could even be motivation for Capelli to of tried to settle down and be a better less angry person but having to deal with the angst of knowing that he could essentially die and hurt those he cares about at any time plus adding a sense of urgency/tension to the plot. This could also be used to add more of a sense of progression as you go through with you gaining more regen in later levels, more melee strength and have Capelli slowly crack and become more like the man he was as he becomes more exacerbated feeling himself slipping away.

Another way to make Capelli more interesting as a character is to play up his infamy and have him literally and figuratively running away from the man he was start the game being called another name and have his wife say something like "try not to screw thing up the kids only just settled" and have the settlement be destroyed because he fucks up he is insubordinate but have him do it for good intentions ie shooting a chimera because it was abouit to find one of his comrades and only at the end of the mission in the cut scene when Malikov comes in is it finally revealed unnamed silent protagonist family man is Joseph Capelli and then you do the intro cutscene about what happened between the last game and now with the small change of the family moving about a lot and having problems so that he is more humanised than generic good guy.

The idea of having a weak spot on the back of the enemies is kinda cool but it only makes sense if you are able to use stealth or flank a lot neither of which seems possible through 90% of the game so far so it just seems out of place, and talking about stealth the white forest looked pretty good apart from the gunships and hybrids that seem pretty much impossible to avoid which kinda ruins the pacing and feel of the level.

Kinda rant over, the game seems pretty good apart from the few strange/ bad design decisions.
Also the auger should be fantastic at taking down gun ships as long as they have actual pilots, although i'm not sure if that would even kill any of the chimera waiting on the inside from the other crashes.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

chiasaur11 posted:

Wow.

They managed to have Capelli be a world class fuckup without making him any more interesting. Impressive!

Seriously, Joe. Your family's fine, more likely than not. Nothing has changed to give you a reason to need to go back. But no. Endanger everyone by falling out of a VTOL.

Dumbass.

And yeah. The fight is like a Half Life 2 gunship fight with all the things that make it good surgically removed.

It's not like they haven't established that you can call the radio guy and get help sending messages to friends and family. The radio guy even gets news from Chad and Japan and even shows up in this level, so it's not like range is a big issue.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
Wow that last mission was pure garbage. Capelli, no poo poo your family is in danger. That's what you are on the loving VTOL for in the first place! All human life is in danger, and if you don't get your stupid rear end to New York, there won't be a reason to protect your family anymore, because EVERYONE will be dead. Your wife explicitly told you that she'd rather have your kid alive than you, and the kid is so feverish, they didn't bother to give him real lines. What will "checking on them" accomplish besides drawing Chimera attention to their new hiding place? Because it sure won't save anyone, the last of the penicillin was used as a bartering chip to get you onto the VTOL.

That event destroys everything that the game could call his characterization. Capelli isn't a "sad dad"; Nierman is a sad dad, Joel is a sad dad, Lee is a sad dad. Capelli is a complete fuckstick who watched the Chimera glass his home, but insists on making sure that his next home can still be glassed so that he can continue to mope over having been kicked out of the army. It's nihilistic and self destructive, but most importantly, it directly puts his child in danger, which is the opposite of the "sad dad" character. That was Capelli loving everything up for pointless, immediate emotional reward, which is kind of in character for his character outside of the game, but not the fairly blank slab the game has presented to us thus far.
However, regardless of what character Joe is supposed to be, he just went 1 on 1 with the most dangerous thing we've seen besides the 300ft tall tachikomas in order to get his rear end onto that ship, it makes no sense for any character that hasn't been alternating rails of meth and PCP for every Chimeran killed to try to get off the VTOL, ever. Especially while the drat thing is STILL IN THE AIR.

And I don't know if this has been covered before, but it stood out even more in this mission, so I'll go ahead and bring it up; I have the biggest problem with his character design. A man who is willing to drat humanity in its entirety because he hasn't heard from his wife and kid in a couple of days is not the kind of man who would wear a necklace of teeth made from Chimera that he killed. It looks cool and lends credence to his abilities in game, but every time I saw that thing in a shot with his son, it shattered any thought that he could be a family man. Even the Remnants, who live to fight the Chimera and don't appear to have real contact with anyone outside of their group that is so devoted to killing Chimera that people are becoming afraid of their leader, do nott wear trophies from their fallen enemies around their necks. That's a really loving creepy thing to do

E: I'd go as far as saying that Capelli rivals Kenny from the Walking Dead for "worst sympathetic father" character. As a reminder/primer for those who didn't play through Season 2, Kenny was so awful of a human being that in order to make killing him not the default option, they had to make the other choice killing someone who "murdered" an infant to escape a horde of zombies

The Door Frame fucked around with this message at 06:11 on Aug 2, 2016

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009

Blind Sally posted:

The Dropship bridge fight or the Widowmaker fight?

Dropship fight.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Cassa posted:

Dropship fight.

Oh, yeah, that fight was as tedious as it looked. Also, no, as far as I can tell, the HE Magnum doesn't do a thing against it. Go rocket launcher or go home. Now, the Widowmaker can be brought down with the HE Magnum and some patience, but it's easier and faster to take it down with other guns in my experience.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
Next update on its way. Been caught up in the Killzone.

In the meantime, I found a good vid of the bridge fight in Half-Life 2 for comparison: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-hZrQ0vNtdo

If you haven't played or seen Half-Life 2 before, it does a good job at showing just how much more dynamic that fight way than what we saw here. Even if you've already played HL2 a million times, it's a nice reminder of what a great game it was.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

I hope you like Half-Life 2, Jaws, Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom, and Left 4 Dead and don't mind Resistance 3 copy and pasting all of them into a single level! Also, we're off to fight Satan!

Cryogun

"A nitrogen-based Chimeran weapon capable of freezing enemies in place. Affected enemies stay frozen for a few moments, vulnerable to damage from other weapons. Effective when facing large groups of enemies, or an enemy with a quick-charge attack.

R1 - Fires a stream of nitrogen-based liquid that freezes enemies in place. While frozen, enemies are vulnerable to concussive attacks.

R2 - Releases a powerful burst of cold air that pushes enemies back and shatters any frozen enemies. The weapon must recharge after each use.

Upgrade 1: Frostbite Shards - When frozen, enemies sprout icicles from them, damaging nearby enemies. The damage is minor, but a frozen Leaper will kill another Leaper near it.

Upgrade 2:
Freeze Wave - Secondary can now freeze enemies."

The Chimera make all the fun guns. So yeah, in our super serious game about an alien apocalypse we literally get the Liquid Nitrogen Gun from Ratchet & Clank. It's pretty fun to use and hearkens back to Fall of Man when Resistance was able to be a little zanier and arcadey. Works especially well against Grims and Leeches when you're fighting them in tight places or are surrounded. Not so great against standard Chimeran units.

Satan

Desperation

"There is something that troubles me. The Tunguska meteor event marks the re-
introduction of the Chimera to Earth, millions of years after they left. If the Chimera are
technologically advanced, as I believe they are, why would they use a primitive device
like a virus-infused meteor? It speaks of desperation. Perhaps they did not originally
leave our planet of their own volition. Perhaps they were forced to leave by something,
or someone else..."

This is one of Malikov's more interesting journal entries. Too bad this is effectively the last Resistance game and that Insomniac has stated they have no interest in continuing to work on games in the series, as nothing comes of this here.

Pure Chimera

"In Bryce Canyon, we discovered Chimeran fossils that dated back to roughly the same
time the towers were created. I have named these finds "Pure Chimera." They are not a
fusion of Chimeran and Human DNA. They evolved elsewhere, then traveled to
Earth...somehow. I feel I am getting closer to discovering the Chimeran plan, but this
journey to New York is...difficult. I must press on. The answer is here somewhere."

Who's boss

Udall: Alright, men. Let's split up, surround this sonofabitch, show him who's boss. Larry, you and your boys take C tunnel. Mike, take B tunnel--[yells and screams] Holy Jesus! Get it off him!! C'mon you fucker!! I'm over here!! AARGHH!!!!!

Leech

A Leech is a malformed, diseased Grim. These crazed, feral organisms will attempt to
rush their targets and explodes on contact. When it is mortally wounded from a
distance, it will fall to the ground and grow one final death pustule. Shooting its final
death pustule will cause a small explosion, damaging anything in the vicinity.

Primary Attack
Survival Tip: Kill it from a distance, then wait for other enemies to walk near it before
detonating it.

Satan

This feral monster is the product of years of incubation in the coal mine of Western
Pennsylvania. It is a biological and evolutionary mystery.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
Just as an addendum to this update--

Here's the relevant scene from Jaws: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_oFl_2p_LHU

As well as the relevant section from Half-Life 2: Episode 2, the Antlion Guardian encounter: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8SvIyblBbNE

NejD posted:

Why does Hale magically have a protein that stops the virus and more importantly why does it not stop him transforming and why did he keep the regenerating health ect but Capelli doesn't.

Most of what you said are rants I agree with and just kinda have to shrug and say "welp, that's Resistance", but I think I can come up with a potentially satisfactory explanation for this one based on the game's lore:

Hale is a special snowflake.

I'm only sorta kidding. Nearly every SRPA Sentinel, Capelli included, was injected with standard Chimeran DNA. Hale was unique in that he was part of a group of test subjects that was injected with Pure Chimeran DNA. The difference between the two is that standard Chimeran DNA is what you get when a human is infected with the virus and turns into a Hybrid whereas Pure Chimeran DNA comes from fossils found in the Earth of the earliest Chimeran species to exist on the planet without humans about 60 million years ago.

Hale's fellow Pure Chimeran injected test subjects were Jordan Shepard aka Daedalus and the Cloven. As we know, the Cloven all succumbed to the virus in short order and turned into a rogue death cult that hunted down humans and Chimera alike, whereas Shepard, due to his lack of an immune system, turned into the most powerful Chimeran Angel seen on the planet. The series has implied that Hale has a particularly strong immune system. So far, he's been the only human to successfully show any immunity to the Pure Chimeran injection (as long as he kept up his inhibitor shots, which he didn't). Obviously, when Hale first worked as a Sentinel, Malikov was unable to find anything particularly special about his blood that could work as a Chimeran vaccine. However, at the very end of Resistance 2 Hale's body goes through some pretty rapid changes. Not only is it breaking down and turning Chimeran but when he touched Daedalus's corpse he seemed to have gone through some pretty rapid mutations that gave him super psychokinetic abilities, allowing him to literally explode Hybrids and Ravagers with his mind. It's a short and goofy segment at the end of the game and it took up maybe 5 seconds in my opening lore video, but perhaps something there changed his body to the point where Malikov could pull out a vaccine from it.

Of course, Insomniac has been purposely vague about nearly everything surrounding the Chimera so who knows for sure.

The Door Frame posted:

That event destroys everything that the game could call his characterization. Capelli isn't a "sad dad"; Nierman is a sad dad, Joel is a sad dad, Lee is a sad dad. Capelli is a complete fuckstick who watched the Chimera glass his home, but insists on making sure that his next home can still be glassed so that he can continue to mope over having been kicked out of the army. It's nihilistic and self destructive, but most importantly, it directly puts his child in danger, which is the opposite of the "sad dad" character. That was Capelli loving everything up for pointless, immediate emotional reward, which is kind of in character for his character outside of the game, but not the fairly blank slab the game has presented to us thus far.
However, regardless of what character Joe is supposed to be, he just went 1 on 1 with the most dangerous thing we've seen besides the 300ft tall tachikomas in order to get his rear end onto that ship, it makes no sense for any character that hasn't been alternating rails of meth and PCP for every Chimeran killed to try to get off the VTOL, ever. Especially while the drat thing is STILL IN THE AIR.

Ha, I didn't think about it that way before. So Capelli still is a gently caress up, just--in a different way. Nice catch.

Also, w/r/t the Chimera teeth necklace, it's important to remember that all Chimera were once human and are still, basically just killer, mutated people. Capelli is effectively wearing a necklace of human teeth. This is probably the biggest hint towards his past outside of Resistance 3, but aside from that visual cue the game doesn't do a very good job of showing off his mental scars. I mean, the lore outside the game STRONGLY hints that Capelli had to eat dead Chimera to survive for six months while stranded in a frozen Poland. If Chimera are just killer, mutated people, then that was effectively cannibalism. In which case, heck, the necklace makes total sense.

But yeah, having him wear it around his wife and son and all the other people of Haven? Really loving unsettling, Capelli, just totally loving out there.

Sally fucked around with this message at 06:05 on Aug 6, 2016

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I'm a bit surprised with all of the other PS exclusive franchises going into the current gen that they aren't working on another one of these. Did Resistance 3 not sell well?

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

FlamingLiberal posted:

I'm a bit surprised with all of the other PS exclusive franchises going into the current gen that they aren't working on another one of these. Did Resistance 3 not sell well?

Insomniac just doesn't want to do it any more. Sony registered a trademark for a potential future Resistance game in late January last year, but since then it's been quiet, apparently, just based on a cursory examination of the state of series. If there is gonna be a Resistance 4, or equivalent game, then it'll be handled by another studio all together.

Contrast this with Guerrilla Games and Killzone, who've already put out 2 current gen games in that franchise (Mercenary and Shadow Fall), and have stated that they're gonna get to Killzone 5 once they're done with Horizon: Zero Dawn.

John Liver
May 4, 2009

Man, so far this game looks like the most painfully by-the-numbers shooter. Absolutely none of this looks fresh or fun, it's all a dredge of stock gameplay moments and enemies, with a lot of cribbing from other, more famous media.

The freeze ray was easily the best part of this video - it's not original, but it's fairly rare to see one in shooters these days.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

As usual, it's impressive how much better Half Life 2 handled the setpieces here.

Instead of just running low on shotgun ammo, the game gave you the gravity gun and rooms full of sawblades. You're encouraged to use unconventional combat tactics, then you get the shotgun as a change of pace. Instead of getting your health slowly chipped away by enemies that do, like, one bar of damage, you have the utter brilliance of poison headcrabs. And instead of guarding some other rear end in a top hat's back for a setpiece, you're just left to try to stay alive for yourself as he works, because escort missions suck.

It also applies to the atmosphere. In Half Life 2, when you had a resistance base, even if it wasn't being raided just as you arrived (Gordon Freeman has the worst luck), it felt worn. People weren't sure that if they just killed the basement monster, everything'd be okay again. They treated the end of the world like, well, the end of the world. There were jokes and hopes and happiness snatched from the ashes, but people seemed to get the whole "millions died and civilization as we know it is gone" thing, while people in Resistance 3 seem to think that it's less of a deal than a bad year's harvest.

How is this game so bad at atmosphere?

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009
Capelli not reacting to any of this does seem really odd, when contrasted to the cutscenes.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

I uh thought you were joking about the Ravenholm thing.

Turns out you were not. That is pretty sad. I do hope you can get the chimera-gnome from white pines to the rocket though.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

Blind Sally posted:

Ha, I didn't think about it that way before. So Capelli still is a gently caress up, just--in a different way. Nice catch.

Also, w/r/t the Chimera teeth necklace, it's important to remember that all Chimera were once human and are still, basically just killer, mutated people. Capelli is effectively wearing a necklace of human teeth. This is probably the biggest hint towards his past outside of Resistance 3, but aside from that visual cue the game doesn't do a very good job of showing off his mental scars. I mean, the lore outside the game STRONGLY hints that Capelli had to eat dead Chimera to survive for six months while stranded in a frozen Poland. If Chimera are just killer, mutated people, then that was effectively cannibalism. In which case, heck, the necklace makes total sense.

But yeah, having him wear it around his wife and son and all the other people of Haven? Really loving unsettling, Capelli, just totally loving out there.

Oh, I am aware that the Chimera are human-ish, I keep trying to read the notes in the margins for every journal entry and I love all of the half finished theories. I was sort of referencing the necklaces of ears that you'd hear about in Vietnam when I was writing it. The problem is that the Chimera aren't clearly human in appearance or behavior, and basically act as aliens/zombies/boogeymen in gameplay, so I didn't know if a direct comparison would evoke the same level of unease that the necklace being on him at all times brought me

But for this episode, first and foremost, Father Boring sucks. I could say so much about him, Capelli's lack of interaction with him, and the Satan enemy, but I will leave it just to a couple of things that the Mine itself got so wrong.

The first thing, before you enter either level, there's a lot of atmosphere to be built. With Ravenholm, you keep getting ominous words from multiple characters about how hosed it is, and how it was so dangerous that it was abandoned completely, despite being connected to the rebel stronghold. We have to be forced into it.
With the Mine, the congregation is largely silent, save Ms. Boring, but she talks about the hundreds lost to Satan and the ferals. She does all of this weird bible beating about divine punishment before we volunteer(?) to go into the spooky mine and find her husband. Ravenholm immediately feels like a threat, we're isolated and not that well equipped for the gauntlet ahead, save for the good Father. However, with the Mine, Capelli has already killed a 4 storey Chimera on his own, killed 2 airships, is expecting aid in the tunnels, and carries a rocket launcher, a cover-ignoring pulse rifle, and a hybrid lightning/blackhole gun; the Mine is just another place to go.

Now for the primary enemies of the two zones, this was touched on earlier, but despite Chimera being hybrid humans, they don't ever feel human. They don't have human features, they don't have human proportions, they don't even have human movement patterns. That's good for a feeling of otherness, but when compared to the Headcrab Zombies, it isn't nearly as scary. Have as many Grims jumping out of pods as you want, it isn't frightening beyond the immediate threat they pose to our character. We are immune to their virus and if you didn't know any better, you'd think they weren't ever human to begin with.
I was so disappointed with the exploding Leeches being the older Grims. Since they are feral Chimera that were unharvested humans, I was hoping that instead of turning into glowing bomb monsters as a final life stage, they'd be becoming more intelligent and without the Chimera to shape their growth, more human. I want to see that the families that we are slaughtering were people at some point, otherwise, why bring up the hundreds of people that were turned? You can't pull my heart strings by making me kill what is essentially John Carpenter's The Thing. It's a mindless monster that needs to die before it can infect others, there's little room for the sympathy fot the former inhabitants of the town that the game wants you to feel.

If we look at the Headcrab Zombies in contrast, we see humans, we hear humans screaming for help, but the Headcrab that is infecting them is steadily marching a very alive human towards us, explicitly to kill us. HCZ's are perfect for hitting the super unsettling concept of the shadow, instead of relying on the other and jump scares. We know that what we are killing was a human being. We can rationalize it all we want, but we must take an aware, innocent life that is pleading for our help because we have to ensure that we don't end up like them. That is horrifying. We barely have a backstory for our victims besides "this place is hosed up" (hosed up by headcrab bombs, specifically. Spire bombing anyone?), and I felt bad every time I had to silence those muffled cries. The jumpy zombies I didn't feel bad about, but that was because they kept killing me :v:

The Door Frame fucked around with this message at 10:06 on Aug 6, 2016

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

If you will not serve in combat, you will serve on the firing line!

The thing that annoys me the most with this section is the fact that the game forces you to carry so little shotgun ammo despite making it the primary weapon for this section. So you end up scrounging for the really necessary ammo more than actually making progress based on the number of enemies the game throws at you repeatedly. The only compensation seems to be that the game throws a lot of shotgun ammo for you. But that doesn't really make things better.
It feels kind of like bad design to me.

Also the cryogun feels like Resistance 3's equivalent to the Grav gun, only that you get it much later but the game still tries to make a big deal out of it like its obvious inspiration.

On a similar note, I never actually really liked Ravenholm that much. Felt too much like a showcase level for Source engine physics with the Gravgun than anything else.

The fact that they didn't just bring the locomotive with them and had to drag with them the entire train felt dumb as well.

Also Father Rose is no Father Grigori for sure.
In short, this entire section is criminally boring and suffers from bad design issues as well.

WFGuy
Feb 18, 2011

Press X to jump, then press X again!
Toilet Rascal
That is very, very Half-Life. I get that Valve kinda already did the atmosphere they're going for nigh-perfectly, but it's a pretty egregious similarity. I wonder if it's supposed to be an homage to all these things, instead of just a copy? They just missed a step, in that this sort of thing really only works if you have the audience's cooperation and suspension of disbelief. It has to be a shared "Yeah, isn't it great to replay these sorts of things from great games and movies you loved?" It has to have that atmosphere of fun and appreciation, but I don't think that really works very often with a game that's shooting for desperation and melancholy as its primary setting emotions.

My favourite part, though, was at the beginning of Chapter 12, where Father Legallydistinct said "...see if you can find anything that might help us get through these doors [locked by a padlock and chain]," to a guy who was literally at that very second holding a liquid nitrogen gun that specialises in rapid-cooling and then shattering things. They gave the player that gun ten minutes earlier! How did they forget that they gave the player the exact tool for this?!

Cooked Auto also raises a good point. Is the next level going to be a train defence level? If so, that is a terrible excuse for in-game characters to intentionally use up extra coal (since those things use a shitload of coal) and make more noise on their journey; and if not, there would be no point even in a meta-level sense.

Apep727
Jun 18, 2016
You know what bothers me most about Father Generic? He shouldn't be "Father" anything. He should probably be "Reverend" or "Pastor" whatever, because I'm pretty sure these folks aren't Catholic. But no, Half-Life 2 had Father Grigori (who actually had some character, even if it was "crazy Russian/Eastern European guy"), so Resistance 3 has to have a "Father" something in their most HL2 knockoff section.

And honestly, I feel like there's a lot of missed potential with this area. I mean, we have a highly-religious community in an end-of-the-world scenario. There's literally a monster living under the town, which the locals refer to as "Satan". It's practically begging to be turned into a creepy cult. Off the top of my head:

- The preacher (after all the crap that's gone on in the previous games) has gone nuts and decided that the Chimera are God's punishment for man's wickedness.
- The preacher thinks the Chimera are something from Revelation, and we're living in the Biblical End Times
- The town looks like they're just regular old fundamentalist Christians, but they really worship the big nasty monster living under the town (and possibly the Chimera in general)

There. Three much more interesting, more original ways to go with this scenario. And it took me maybe ten minutes to come up with those. I can only conclude that Insomniac just didn't care enough to put actual effort into this game. A conclusion only supported by their lack of interest in working on further games in the franchise.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know if we're all doing the same joke about Not-Gregori being so bland and forgettable in comparison, but I legitimately couldn't remember his name until Cooked Auto said it

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
To be quite honest, I forgot his name partway through recording commentary for the video despite his wife telling us his name at the very beginning of the level and then again him introducing himself.

I think at one point I just refer to him as "that woman's husband".

Oh well, we will literally never see either of the Roses again, so just as Capelli and Malikov have moved on, so can we.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

Blind Sally posted:

To be quite honest, I forgot his name partway through recording commentary for the video despite his wife telling us his name at the very beginning of the level and then again him introducing himself.

I think at one point I just refer to him as "that woman's husband".

Oh well, we will literally never see either of the Roses again, so just as Capelli and Malikov have moved on, so can we.

I think that ripping off one of the most important FPS games ever, shot for shot, is really... Admirable? I don't think it's a good idea for success, but the fact that I want to play this game despite its glaring flaws says something.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Apep727 posted:

You know what bothers me most about Father Generic? He shouldn't be "Father" anything. He should probably be "Reverend" or "Pastor" whatever, because I'm pretty sure these folks aren't Catholic. But no, Half-Life 2 had Father Grigori (who actually had some character, even if it was "crazy Russian/Eastern European guy"), so Resistance 3 has to have a "Father" something in their most HL2 knockoff section.

And honestly, I feel like there's a lot of missed potential with this area. I mean, we have a highly-religious community in an end-of-the-world scenario. There's literally a monster living under the town, which the locals refer to as "Satan". It's practically begging to be turned into a creepy cult. Off the top of my head:

- The preacher (after all the crap that's gone on in the previous games) has gone nuts and decided that the Chimera are God's punishment for man's wickedness.
- The preacher thinks the Chimera are something from Revelation, and we're living in the Biblical End Times
- The town looks like they're just regular old fundamentalist Christians, but they really worship the big nasty monster living under the town (and possibly the Chimera in general)

There. Three much more interesting, more original ways to go with this scenario. And it took me maybe ten minutes to come up with those. I can only conclude that Insomniac just didn't care enough to put actual effort into this game. A conclusion only supported by their lack of interest in working on further games in the franchise.

It depends on the atmosphere you're going for, really. You can get pretty good mileage either from "good people leaning on faith in a desperate time" or "religion fueled nutjobs", but you gotta commit. The game doesn't work with either.

The first scene implies that the town's pretty fundie, but the bits with the pastor don't fit. I don't even mean that he's not a villain or a nutjob. He's just not talking like he sees this all from a religious angle, OR like this has shaken his faith. (Beyond saying "This has challenged my faith" once). Father Grigori, in addition to being wonderfully demented, talks about his flock and religious implications of the whole zombie plague thing, and he constantly cries out to God for aid. Here, despite the monster being called "Satan", it's treated like a practical concern, all brute force and bullets. Capelli might (I forget) get called a savior, but it's purely in the same way someone would call an unexpected bonus on their income tax deductions a godsend.

Really, it strikes me as there being two main ways the game's overall arc should go. One is just seeing how people are clinging on in the face of almost certain doom, with the war lost and hope a distant memory. Here, the religious order can be good people, if in conflict with Capeli and especially Malakov's more materialistic worldview, seeing the Chimera as more demonic than alien, and perhaps even distrusting our heroes at first. "Those who play with the devil's toys will be brought by degrees to wield his sword" and that. It could conclude with them seeing Capeli as a literal Godsend, to his bemusement and Malakov's slight disdain, as they're sent on. Religious faith as a way to keep together when the world is falling apart, contrasted with Capeli's initial attempts to just keep his family safe for long enough, Malakov's scientific approach, the Remnants holding onto old world military force, and so on.

The other is going a bit more Heart of Darkness. Starting from Capeli's town of Classic American Values, every step would take him deeper into the unpleasantness of a world on the brink. At first you'd see the 50s postcard, then you'd see where a lot of 50s attitudes actually went, eventually reaching places where it'd be hard to tell if people were even worth saving anymore. On that route, you'd definitely want to go with the nasty for the Very Religious townspeople. Human sacrifice, or harsh punishment for "the wicked", cultish atmosphere where Father Rose is GOD'S SPECIAL CHOSEN and all who doubt him are DAMNED, that kind of thing.

But the game doesn't go far enough with either.

White Coke
May 29, 2015
Between the bland, (mostly) silent protagonist and the wholesale stealing of elements from Half Life 2, Resistance 3 really seems like the first attempt of a novice game studio, instead of the third entry in a series by a veteran publisher with several successful games under their belts.

I wonder if Capelli was character assassinated because of Insomniac's experience with Ratchet & Clank, where Ratchet was an rear end in a top hat in the first game and people hated him, so they went instead with a laid back, more likable version in later installments.

John Liver
May 4, 2009

gently caress that pastor, I wanted the monster to eat him. At least that would be a good bit of dark comedy.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

White Coke posted:

Between the bland, (mostly) silent protagonist and the wholesale stealing of elements from Half Life 2, Resistance 3 really seems like the first attempt of a novice game studio, instead of the third entry in a series by a veteran publisher with several successful games under their belts.

I wonder if Capelli was character assassinated because of Insomniac's experience with Ratchet & Clank, where Ratchet was an rear end in a top hat in the first game and people hated him, so they went instead with a laid back, more likable version in later installments.
Is there another series like this that kills off its protagonist at the end of the 2nd game and has a new playable character for the 3rd and final game? I can't think of one. It seems like a bad decision, even if Hale was super bland.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

FlamingLiberal posted:

Is there another series like this that kills off its protagonist at the end of the 2nd game and has a new playable character for the 3rd and final game? I can't think of one. It seems like a bad decision, even if Hale was super bland.

Again, the closest thing in my experience is Killzone. However, it's handled more artfully in Killzone, as while Templar (ostensibly the protagonist of Killzone 1) is replaced by Sevchenko in Killzone 2 and 3, Templar is alive for the majority of Killzone 2 and serving as Sev's direct superior officer, and he dies a hero's death that serves a dramatic purpose in the arc of the second game, and a thematic one too, since Killzone 2's main theme is about things falling apart.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Templar :cry:

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

FlamingLiberal posted:

It seems to me that they kind of wrote themselves into Hale's death by making his condition advance to quickly and abruptly. Unless they decided to make the player a full blown but free willed chimera for the third game, which would have been hard to pitch to newcomers, I think.

Actually, what if Hale had somehow "ascended" thanks to his pure chimeran DNA and could communicate to Capelli because of it, and the thing driving Capelli to New York wasn't the doctor but the voice of Hale guiding him to some greater purpose?

That said, not buying that Capelli is even the same character as he was before. Does his character model even resemble his old one? He honestly looks like a completely different person. Never played these games before, so I'm not intimate with it, but its like if this were a movie and they decided to make a movie about the supporting character but couldn't get the actor or even the screenwriter to come back.

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

Lotish posted:

Never played these games before, so I'm not intimate with it, but its like if this were a movie and they decided to make a movie about the supporting character but couldn't get the actor or even the screenwriter to come back.
But then it turns out they couldn't get the supporting character's actor back either but by that point the decisions have stacked up and mutated to the point where they're just going ahead with it.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

Fish Noise posted:

But then it turns out they couldn't get the supporting character's actor back either but by that point the decisions have stacked up and mutated to the point where they're just going ahead with it.

So, basically Edward Norton turning into Mark Ruffalo, but in reverse?
Or is it more like Katie Holmes morphing into Maggie Gyllenhaal when Rachel had to be the emotional heart of the story?

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment
I blame MacArthur for everything wrong with America in the this game. :colbert:

Well, it probably didn't help that he was the top military leader.

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

The Door Frame posted:

So, basically Edward Norton turning into Mark Ruffalo, but in reverse?
Or is it more like Katie Holmes morphing into Maggie Gyllenhaal when Rachel had to be the emotional heart of the story?
As someone who hasn't played these games, I can't really say for sure, but it's certainly a chimeric process.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Lotish posted:

It seems to me that they kind of wrote themselves into Hale's death by making his condition advance to quickly and abruptly. Unless they decided to make the player a full blown but free willed chimera for the third game, which would have been hard to pitch to newcomers, I think.
That would have been far more interesting. Like if you have abilities (other than regenerating health) that you can use in addition to guns.

It doesn't make any sense that Hale was 'immune' to the Chimeran DNA or whatever but somehow he still got taken over? Resistance 2 just had a weird ending, period.

A better ending would have been how Hale is now basically a Chimera who can understand what they are planning, but still has free will. However, Capelli still tries to kill him because he thinks he's just turned or whatever. So Resistance 3 then could have been Hale trying to stop the Chimera with his new understanding of their plans while also being hunted by what was left of the US military or whatever. You could do the 'get to NY' thing with Hale, but have Capelli as kind of a reluctant antagonist who has to stop Hale because the military thinks if he gets to NY, then the world ends or something.

Anything would be an upgrade over 'let's put a character who we haven't seen much of beyond Resistance 2 as the protagonist but remove any interesting things about him'. I mean he's basically serving the same role Hale did as a mostly silent protagonist. That and the 'I'm doing this for my family' trope is very worn at this point.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Lotish posted:

That said, not buying that Capelli is even the same character as he was before. Does his character model even resemble his old one? He honestly looks like a completely different person. Never played these games before, so I'm not intimate with it, but its like if this were a movie and they decided to make a movie about the supporting character but couldn't get the actor or even the screenwriter to come back.

No. His new model doesn't resemble the old one. Nor does he have the same voice actor. Capelli seems to have the same problem that my boy, Dash Rendar, has in that every time he is portrayed he has a wildly different character model.

Here's R2 Capelli:

Who looks quite a bit different from, firstly, his Project Abraham actor:

Insomniac bothered to find someone who looked like Nathan Hale, but I guess they couldn't be bother to for Capelli? Or maybe they didn't have Capelli's character model finalized and didn't want to base it off this beefcake guy? Who knows. But both the Project Abraham actor and R2 character model look quite different from the R3 model:

Even in the concept artwork stage, Capelli looks more like Viggo Mortensen (and remember, Insomniac cribs heavily from The Road for its art design in Resistance 3) than actual Joseph Capelli:

The closest you get to R3 Capelli looking like R2 Capelli is the multiplayer skin that was released that puts R3 Capelli in a toque and a SRPA uniform:

Of course, now it just looks like R3 Capelli stole R2 Capelli's clothes.

And this doesn't even get into the weirdness that was Capelli's voice actor. So R2 Capelli was voiced by David Boat, a guy is mostly known for doing "Additional Voices" in video games and Pixar movies. R3 Capelli is voiced by Robin Atkin Downes, a guy who is know for providing voices for every single Resistance game to ever exist. He played General Hadley from Resistance: Fall of Man, a cut character who was supposed to be the mastermind of Operation Deliverance, America's invasion of Chimeran occupied England. He played motherfucking Daedalus in both Resistance 2 and Resistance: Burning Skies. He played the protagonist of Resistance: Retribution, James Grayson. Then played R3 Capelli--along with a few other minor voices. Compare this to Nathan Hale who has pretty much the same character model for all the games as well as the same voice actor throughout.

It makes me wonder if Insomniac was every really sure with what they wanted to do with Capelli.

FlamingLiberal posted:

It doesn't make any sense that Hale was 'immune' to the Chimeran DNA or whatever but somehow he still got taken over? Resistance 2 just had a weird ending, period.

I wouldn't say that Hale had an immunity to the Chimeran virus. I'd say that he merely had a--

Resistance :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Hey now. Didn't you already make that joke?

• Locked thread