Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
And the best character in the Resistance franchise is--
Nathan Hale
Joseph Capelli
Seriously, crow, update PoP2008
View Results

• Locked thread
Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment

Blind Sally posted:

holy gently caress, i never put two and two together. she gets name dropped in Project Abraham as Hale's cousin, but I never read any of the novelizations so I never saw her appear as a bigger character in the Resistance back story. what the gently caress, insomniac. apparently they retconned her to be Hale's foster-sister instead. i don't know if that makes it better or worse.

pulled this from the Resistance wikia:

"Susan departed Concordia and followed a family to The Tank. There she fatefully encountered an enslaved Joseph Capelli being forced into a gladiatorial fight against a Steelhead. She noticed Capelli's SRPA tattoos and realizing his connection to the Sentinels like Hale, she then freed Capelli and killing his handlers. After freeing Capelli, Susan reveal her reason for rescuing Capelli and her relationship with her brother. The latter information surprised Capelli before finally telling her about Hale succumbing to the Chimeran virus and being responsible for killing him. Susan, at first, was angered to learn this and considered killing him, but refused. She joined Capelli in his journey to Haven, Oklahoma. A bond was then developed between her and Capelli. Eventually, when searching a destroyed jewellery shop, capelli found a ring and proposed to Susan. The wedding was interrupted by 2 chameleons, but they were killed. Shortly after the wedding, Susan became pregnant."

So I don't even know what.

:vince:

:rip: El Diablo.

The resistance tie-in novels are loving weird and incoherent, even judging by the standards of a genre that contains the doom novelizations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

berryjon
May 30, 2011

I have an invasion to go to.
I started the video, and tuned it out in the first couple minutes. I'm sorry Blind Sally, but even you couldn't save this from me playing FTL on the other screen.

WFGuy
Feb 18, 2011

Press X to jump, then press X again!
Toilet Rascal
Oh wow, that was just awful. Let's fight brown and grey people on a brown and grey train with a boring gun that doesn't seem to do anything the Bullseye and shotgun secondary don't already do, with infinite ammo and infinite health. The only time something happens that should actually derail a train (the Widowmaker ramming it), it's fine since these carriages are only susceptible to vast numbers of bullets. Malikov is killed off ten minutes after talking about his life's regrets. And the least interesting weapon is introduced, kinda like going back to the crowbar in late HL2Ep1 after using the gravity gun for most of the game. What a depressing level.

skullhead tethyis posted:

while Goliaths could flatten your boat with a torrent of missiles, the wardens pose zero threat to the train. The cars are even detached in a purely scripted sequence.
had the wardens not appeared would this a chill level where malikov and capelli observe the ravages of chimeran xenofoming on the Pennsylvanian countryside, u'know like the boat level?

thing the other, there is absolutely no way to make a similar video about the environmental storytelling about this level. The stampede is one thing, but at this point the curse of the grey-brown has clearly come to roost.

I didn't even think about that, but yeah, that would have been super interesting by comparison. Capelli and Malikov watching alien fauna they've never really just observed before, talking about stuff, maybe drawing plans for New York, while Capelli shovels coal into a furnace (not as much as in real life, but c'mon!). They could even have included most of the interesting elements from the level!

1) Maybe a single raider jeep, more heavily armoured, just following them rather than fighting. It could be immune to most weapons fire, but possible to kill with the rocket launcher if you're so inclined. If you do, another one drives up and takes its place. There'd be no extra rocket ammo in my version, the jeep wouldn't fire at you, and Malikov would scold you for shooting at humans for no reason.

2) Halfway through the level, the Widowmaker herd disturbs whatever was there before - maybe something like a bunch of Grims just wandering down a river to keep cool - and Malikov slows the train down in the hope that they'll pass in front of you, or that they won't consider you a threat, or something. Or maybe it's initially slower, and he speeds up to avoid them. Some sort of state change, that'd make them a little more worthy of the second Chekov's Gun treatment.

3) If, for some reason, they're committed to the two using this dumb magic train that doesn't need multiple burly dudes to pump coal into it every goddamn second it's running or else it loses power, and still have all the carriages attached, they manage to end up inside the Widowmaker stampede anyway, and Capelli makes the executive decision to ditch all the carriages. Maybe you take a second to help Malikov move a couple of things they think they need, like ammo and mission plans, to the front carriage, but they ditch all the others so that a Widowmaker won't step on them and derail the train.

4) They forget about the acid, and the tracks are warped. Malikov has just enough time to yell about it before the train gets derailed. I'd prefer a very different ending cinematic that doesn't rely as much on convenient axles dropping on Capelli, but we can stick mostly with it if that's mostly in place for some reason. The raider jeep that had sort of gone ignored when the Widowmakers turned up pulls up nearby, and Malikov stumbles over to ask them for help (since humans don't kill humans, right? That would be counterproductive!). Out pops surly SRPA dude, who says something along the lines of "I'll be damned. I thought I was just seeing things! What are the chances I'd find you on your way to New York, Malikov?" and slowly his dialogue goes from 'surprised old comrade', to 'gleeful sociopath,' and Malikov's reaction to seeing this specific guy tell us everything we need before he even gets the machete out.

5) Angry ex-employee kills Malikov over the kind of "We're on a mission to save the world! Please!" etc etc and takes Capelli to the Thunderdome much the same way. Instead of a sledgehammer, Actual Dishonorable Discharge Dude throws Capelli a new pistol-shaped thing 'to make it more fun'. It's some sort of alien bacteria/plague/infection of some sort that drives Chimera mad, activating the 'enemies fight enemies' AI switch and giving the player a way to survive the arena - probably gets ammo slowly from killing Chimera nearby, which would give it an interesting ammo niche too. They also don't throw humans in there, because again, duh. At the end of the level, King Species Traitor pulls out another one and shoots Capelli with it. The Hale cure knocks him out while it deals with the infection, instead of using the revolver (which is admittedly a nice touch, but why on Earth is that guy using explosives as tranquilisers?!)

...When I see games squander potential I tend to go into fan-fiction mode.

Also, if you want a laugh (Insomniac seem to have surgically removed all of those they could from R3 to put them in Ratchet & Clank instead), swap any mention of 'Widowmaker stampede' with the Overwatch character instead. A horde of French snipers running across the countryside, shoulder-checking train cars, slobbering acid, et cetera. It's much more entertaining.

Tuxedo Ted
Apr 24, 2007

I love how cartoonish the raider badguy was.

"Boy this old guy is tough, my fists just aren't cutting it. Hold up, lemme walk over here to get my trademark machete a-WHUPS, stepped on the guys glasses!"

berryjon posted:

I started the video, and tuned it out in the first couple minutes. I'm sorry Blind Sally, but even you couldn't save this from me playing FTL on the other screen.

Neat, what ship did you run?

berryjon
May 30, 2011

I have an invasion to go to.

Tuxedo Ted posted:

Neat, what ship did you run?

I reset my profile, so I'm back to basics. Unlocked the Engi and Fed Cruisers, as well as Kestral B, but haven't beaten the Flagship yet.

Did I miss anything in the video, or just Markhov dying for no reason?

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

berryjon posted:

just Markhov dying for no reason

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

WFGuy posted:

Oh wow, that was just awful. Let's fight brown and grey people on a brown and grey train with a boring gun that doesn't seem to do anything the Bullseye and shotgun secondary don't already do, with infinite ammo and infinite health. The only time something happens that should actually derail a train (the Widowmaker ramming it), it's fine since these carriages are only susceptible to vast numbers of bullets. Malikov is killed off ten minutes after talking about his life's regrets. And the least interesting weapon is introduced, kinda like going back to the crowbar in late HL2Ep1 after using the gravity gun for most of the game. What a depressing level.

To be fair to the Carbine, it functions differently enough from the Bullseye to make it worthwhile. Partway through the video you can see me attempting to use the Bullseye against some of the Warden's jeeps in the distance. Because the Bullseye's bullets travel so slowly, I am literally unable to hit them even when I try to train the bullets ahead of the jeeps. The Carbine bullets, meanwhile, travel so quickly that this isn't a problem (probably why the devs introduced it on this level--the Bullseye isn't super useful here). The Carbine is also much, much more accurate especially at long distances. The Bullseye is useless outside of midrange, but its rate of fire and spray make it great when a group of Wardens jump onto the train and cluster--which also happens in the video.

That said, your comparison of this being like getting the Crowbar late into HL2E1 after having the Gravity Gun for most of the game is spot on. If they really wanted to back the iconic* Carbine, it should've happened much earlier.

Also, your fan fiction would've made for a more entertaining game than what we got.

berryjon posted:

If it's any consolation, the is the last time Insomniac does this nonsense. It's the Boat Level and the Train Level where we have to deal with it. Everything else that's to come is shamelessly ripped off of something else.

Also, no, you didn't miss much by tuning out. Malikov dies needlessly to a psychotic ex-SRPA soldier without any justification. Also, I hope you like what we've seen of Mick Cutler's character so far, because that's it. He's basically the "squeal like a pig" guy from Deliverance. We had a brief moment of "Actual Angry Capelli" but, since Capelli only speaks in cutscenes, that's all we're going to get of that. Now we get to shoot humans instead of Chimera because "humankind was the real villain all along".

*The Bullseye is REALLY the iconic gun of the Resistance series. I was actually kind of disappointed that they felt the need to bring back the Carbine since I'd gone so far through the game without realizing I didn't have it. When I first played this level my reaction was basically "Oh, this gun. Right, I forgot it existed."

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Blind Sally posted:

*The Bullseye is REALLY the iconic gun of the Resistance series. I was actually kind of disappointed that they felt the need to bring back the Carbine since I'd gone so far through the game without realizing I didn't have it. When I first played this level my reaction was basically "Oh, this gun. Right, I forgot it existed."

Nothing in Resistance is more iconic then this gun :colbert:

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Nothing in Resistance is more iconic then this gun :colbert:

There's a gun that shoots guys in jeans, holding guns and shooting? Fractal guns are pretty radical

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

The Door Frame posted:

There's a gun that shoots guys in jeans, holding guns and shooting? Fractal guns are pretty radical

If a Fractal gun shot Fractal bullets...

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

How to fix video game sledgehammers: strap either a rocket or a shotgun to it.

Crocodylus Pontifex
Jul 26, 2007
The Space Pope!
I think I read somewhere that the Carbine was never planned to be included in R3, and it ended up being included at the last minute because some tester complained or something.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Grapplejack posted:

Why not both?

And I see TWD's Negan has joined the cast, again introducing himself by killing a long-standing cast member.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

You know what's really sad?

This is a case where a "We're much alike, you and I", the worst cliche on record, would actually enhance the narrative. It would at least give Mick something to do.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
The sledgehammer swing just looks so slow.

White Coke
May 29, 2015

Grapplejack posted:

Better yet, a shotgun that shoots rocket-propelled sledgehammers.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

White Coke posted:

Better yet, a shotgun that shoots rocket-propelled sledgehammers.

that would certainly improve the dishwater dull shotgun in this game.

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!
Even a plain old hammer with no moving parts would be okay if it had some juice. It doesn't have to be the Fragor's sniper-infuriating groundslam screenshake or SS3's "oh my god what is even happening" spin move, but it needs SOMETHING.

Like put the video at 1.5x and watch the arena bit. Look at that styrofoam whiffling.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
There just needs to be a reaction to the hammer connecting at the moment it connects, just look at Battlefield 3 knife takedown animations or even the Halo: Reach Sword attacks. I can't believe that those are positive examples, but the hammer swing feels like it has no relation to when the enemies react to it.

I appreciate the consistent HL2 homage, but I don't think that the crowbar ever felt any good

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

The Door Frame posted:

There just needs to be a reaction to the hammer connecting at the moment it connects, just look at Battlefield 3 knife takedown animations or even the Halo: Reach Sword attacks. I can't believe that those are positive examples, but the hammer swing feels like it has no relation to when the enemies react to it.

I appreciate the consistent HL2 homage, but I don't think that the crowbar ever felt any good

I'd say that the crowbar feels fine for smashing crates, headcrabs, and manhacks. Manhacks seem especially relevant here, as a good hit makes them fly back staggered. Using it on anything bigger feels awful, which is probably a big part of why Half Life 2 so rarely gives you situations where you would use it like that.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

Ehh, as far as I'm concerned, the crowbar has about as much impact as the pickaxe in Minecraft

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Jobbo_Fett posted:

If a Fractal gun shot Fractal bullets...

Fall of Man did have a gun that did this with its bullets:

chiasaur11 posted:

You know what's really sad?

This is a case where a "We're much alike, you and I", the worst cliche on record, would actually enhance the narrative. It would at least give Mick something to do.

I hope you're ready for the narrative to go absolutely no where with Mick Cutler.

:eng99:

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Everything that happens in this update is entirely forgotten by the next one.

GES Biorifle

"A testament to creative recycling, this weapon uses a volatile Tarydium waste for ammunition. The highly unstable nature of this waste makes the GES BioRifle more powerful than its Tarydium-loaded cousin, the Stinger. It also helps or hurts that this can be used as a mine, depending on who is standing on it.

R1 - Tarydium sludge projectiles explode on contact with living tissue and adhere to most other surfaces for a short time before exploding.

R2 - Hold down the secondary fire button to launch a larger, slower, more powerful glob of sludge. The longer you hold down the secondary fire button, the larger the glob (up to 5 kg). Unlike later versions, the first GES BioRifle automatically fires when the barrel is full, therefore making the weapon harder to use."

Oh, gently caress off, Insomniac. Really?

Letter to mom 1 - 7

Dear Mom,

Something is happening here. All the guards left. The guy in the cell next to me says
the Chimera invaded America. Is it true? I got to get out of here. I will keep writing and
mail these letters when I can.

Love, Dick.

Dear Mom,

I am out. I took apart my bed frame and made a couple of tools. It took a long time. My
fingers are ripped up but I did it. And you said thieving was a sin. You should thank
God I know how to pick a lock. Now I got to decide If I should let the rest of them out.
Some of them are real bad guys. But if what they are saying is true, I am better off with
some friends to fight with. I hope you are doing okay and I hope to see you soon.

Love, Dick.

Dear Mom,

I let out some of the other prisoners. But then they let out the rest of them. There is
this one guy, Mick Cutler. He is the leader of a big gang. I told Mick we need to figure
out a plan for getting out of the prison. But he told me we will be safer inside the
prison. Maybe he is right. I went outside once last week, to a town across the river, and
it was bad. I hope things are okay wherever you are.

Love, Dick.

Dear Mom,

Mick cornered me today. He told me I had to join his gang if I wanted to keep getting
food and water. A power play. I reminded him without me he would be rotting in his
cell. He reminded me that without him and his pal Herbert, prison would be swarming
with Chimera. I wanted to tell him Herbert is not his pal, but that would have been a
bad idea. Anyway, there was nothing I could do. We are running out of food. I hope you
have food where you are, and I still hope you still have crosswords to keep busy.

Love, Dick.

Dear Mom,

We took a trip outside today. It is real bad out here. Most of the food is gone. We found
a few survivors. I said to Mick we should team up with them. But Mick had other ideas. I
couldn't watch. I hope you have found some nice people to take care of you.

Love, Dick.

Dear Mom,

Mick has to be stopped. I know it is bad out there, but I think it might be just as bad in
here. This is no way for human beings to live. He is an animal. And he is turning the
rest of us into animals. I think I am going to try and kill him. It is going to be hard. Other
guys have tried to kill him and take over. But they were found out and butchered. That
aint going to be me. I'm smarter than them. I will be real patient and wait for the right
moment. Wish me luck.

Love, Dick.

Dear Mom,

I think Mick is on to me. Some of his guys have been watching me real close lately. My
only hope now is escape. Once it gets dark, I am going to run. All this time I have been
afraid to leave the prison, and now I am afraid to stay. I hope I get to see you soon. If
not, I hope to see you in heaven.

Love, Dick.

Can you hear them?

"I am honored to have Doctor Malikov's journal. And a bit intimidated. It will take time to
wrap my head around all of this data. However, one event, early in his notes, seems
significant. He writes that he interviewed Joseph Capelli after he killed Nathan Hale.
Joseph said Hale uttered a mysterious phrase when the wormhole first appeared in
the sky. Hale said, "Can you hear them? It's beautiful." Who is "them," and what does it
have to do with the wormhole? Hmm. I must research further--there is much to learn."

Note: whereas Malikov's VA read out these particular entries up until his death, Herbert's VA will read them out up until the conclusion of the game. So, uh, imagine Herbert is reading this text aloud.

Also, I was kidding about the Mutator entry. Here's what it actually says in the journal:

"A biological projectile weapon that infects enemies with a modified strain of the Chimeran Virus. Overexposure causes a painful and violent death.

Press and hold R1 to charge up the weapon. Fires infectious biological projectiles.
When an enemy is overexposed, it grows a large, explosive pustule and falls to the
ground. The pustule can be detonated with another weapon, or it will explode on its
own after several seconds.

R2 - Releases a large, toxic cloud of infectious fluid. Enemies inside the cloud
become incapacitated until the cloud disperses.

Upgrade 1: Puppet Master - Transforms enemies into living bombs that target other enemies.

Upgrade 2: Fog of Death - Releases a larger cloud of infectious fluid that inflicts more damage over a larger amount of time."

But seriously, not only is this gun nearly 1-for-1 a knock off of Unreal and Unreal Tournament's Biorifle, it's just kind of a garbage weapon. It's fine here because--well, it's all you have and it works well enough. Once you get out of the prison and recover your other guns you're not going to find a lot of use for it. This illustrates another problem with the whole Graterford Prison section. Just as all the Wardens, Mick Cutler, and Herbert Sawicki are done and forgotten at the end of these chapters, so too are the weapons. The Sledgehammer and Mutator suck. Compared to everything else we've been given they are terrible and ineffective weapons. It's unlikely you're going to want to use them throughout the rest of the game. Not only that, there's no real reason to use them throughout the rest of the game. At least other weapons fill a niche. The Sledgehammer and Mutator are just boring gimmick guns.

Sally fucked around with this message at 08:02 on Aug 29, 2016

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009
So when man is the real monster, that man is Capelli, right?

Edit: The GES gun is loving gnarly, what a barbaric way to murder someone.

Cassa fucked around with this message at 08:32 on Aug 29, 2016

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

Blind Sally posted:

"A biological projectile weapon that infects enemies with a modified strain of the Chimeran Virus. Overexposure causes a painful and violent death.

Press and hold R1 to charge up the weapon. Fires infectious biological projectiles.
When an enemy is overexposed, it grows a large, explosive pustule and falls to the
ground. The pustule can be detonated with another weapon, or it will explode on its
own after several seconds.

R2 - Releases a large, toxic cloud of infectious fluid. Enemies inside the cloud
become incapacitated until the cloud disperses.

Upgrade 1: Puppet Master - Transforms enemies into living bombs that target other enemies.

Upgrade 2: Fog of Death - Releases a larger cloud of infectious fluid that inflicts more damage over a larger amount of time."

But seriously, not only is this gun nearly 1-for-1 a knock off of Unreal and Unreal Tournament's Biorifle, it's just kind of a garbage weapon. It's fine here because--well, it's all you have and it works well enough. Once you get out of the prison and recover your other guns you're not going to find a lot of use for it. This illustrates another problem with the whole Graterford Prison section. Just as all the Wardens, Mick Cutler, and Herbert Sawicki are done and forgotten at the end of these chapters, so too are the weapons. The Sledgehammer and Mutator suck. Compared to everything else we've been given they are terrible and ineffective weapons. It's unlikely you're going to want to use them throughout the rest of the game. Not only that, there's no real reason to use them throughout the rest of the game. At least other weapons fill a niche. The Sledgehammer and Mutator are just boring gimmick guns.

It's a little funny that you hate the Mutator so much, as it was described as "the best gun in the game" by Yahtzee. I kept wondering what the gently caress The Jimi Hendrix Experience could be, and despite the slow projectiles, it seems like a cool, useful weapon for crowd control. The problem comes from the Cryogun, since they both fill the same niche and have similar effects. I kinda feel like the shotgun should have gotten the Mutator's effect instead of the fire rounds, then Malikov handing you a shotgun seems more appropriate. And because who in the gently caress built that bioweapon inside of the Thunderdome?
Then, the last weapon should have been the ripper-gun from Metal Arms: GITS or that giant, horizontal beam gun from Dead Space; something that either has a lot of impact or is just hilariously gory and mean. Above all else, it has to be something that just feels good to hit enemies with, and the Mutator looks too floaty and the effect too delayed to be an appropriate end-game gun

Speaking of which, maybe the Sledgehammer would be a worthwhile weapon if the bayonet didn't exist and the hammer upgraded, but there's literally no reason to use the hammer ever now that there's a gun that fills the same niche. What were they thinking with these weapon designs?

Comments on the story stuff will have to come later, this level is... certainly a thing and it's 4am. I can't believe that this is how enemy humans were handled in an extinction event. Ugh... so heavy handed, but also just so flaccid. It's maddening

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Love, Dick, Biorifle.

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

Wow that really is just the Green Exploding poo poo gun. At least the secondary function and upgrades add different things to it, but I can't help but think they should've gone with my favorite actual GES Biorifle mod: Flubber.

Also these geniuses just... had their own Grim spawning facility downstairs?

And holy poo poo Mick's tranquilizer bomb glowing in his skull was comical. The extra-jiggly slapstick that swats this sequence away.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

If you will not serve in combat, you will serve on the firing line!

It's like they wanted to do Nova Prospekt but with humans and aliens combined with the usual cliché of post apocalyptic bad people becoming monsters.
So boring. So utterly boring through and through.

Also the way the game gives you back your old weapons is kind of hamfisted at times. The cryo gun in particular felt dumb.

Kangra
May 7, 2012

When Mick first shows up in the train level, he sounds a lot like Tom Arnold. Which makes me wish they'd gone for a madcap and goofy direction with the game - maybe not as over-the-top as the Mad Max movies, but something like True Lies or The Chase in a PA setting.

e: Which would probably have annoyed fans of the series just as much, but it could have been interesting at least.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

The Door Frame posted:

It's a little funny that you hate the Mutator so much, as it was described as "the best gun in the game" by Yahtzee.

Ha, it's all just opinions. I mean, I'm not saying Yahtzee sometimes has bad opinions, but he disliked Demon's Souls because he couldn't figure out that moving in a direction AND pressing O let the character dodge roll. The Mutator does have some pretty horrific and unique kill animations, but I find it to be too much of a knock-off that fills a niche already populated by superior guns (i.e., shotgun concussive grenade, cryogun).

Also, Herbert Sawicki built the Mutator. I think the implication is that he was once a genius scientist or something and that's why Mick kept him alive. I'm guessing, but I don't think Mick or the Wardens came up with the retrofitted Chimeran Drones to mask their presence. That was probably all Herbert.

The physical design for the Mutator is at least neat. It looks like part of a shotgun barrel attached to a gas pump nozzle handle held together with duct tape and wire using Chimeran health canisters to hold the toxin.

Fish Noise posted:

And holy poo poo Mick's tranquilizer bomb glowing in his skull was comical. The extra-jiggly slapstick that swats this sequence away.

I feel like I should clarify this: it's not a tranquilizer bomb at all. It's literally just the HE Magnum's second function. Mick knocked out Capelli with the same explosive blasts that I've been using to murder wave after wave of Grim and Hybrid. How Capelli survived without losing any limbs or experiencing massive burns is ridiculous video game nonsense. See, it'd make PERFECT sense if Capelli still had the Chimera Vaccine working in his body. He'd just heal. No biggie. But Capelli doesn't have that anymore. I guess the Wardens dumped a bunch of Chimeran healing goop on his unconscious body or something, who knows.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

If you will not serve in combat, you will serve on the firing line!

Blind Sally posted:

Also, Herbert Sawicki built the Mutator. I think the implication is that he was once a genius scientist or something and that's why Mick kept him alive. I'm guessing, but I don't think Mick or the Wardens came up with the retrofitted Chimeran Drones to mask their presence. That was probably all Herbert.

I mean one of the letters pretty much implies as much.

quote:

Mick cornered me today. He told me I had to join his gang if I wanted to keep getting
food and water. A power play. I reminded him without me he would be rotting in his
cell. He reminded me that without him and his pal Herbert, prison would be swarming
with Chimera. I wanted to tell him Herbert is not his pal
, but that would have been a
bad idea. Anyway, there was nothing I could do. We are running out of food. I hope you
have food where you are, and I still hope you still have crosswords to keep busy.

Blind Sally posted:

I feel like I should clarify this: it's not a tranquilizer bomb at all. It's literally just the HE Magnum's second function. Mick knocked out Capelli with the same explosive blasts that I've been using to murder wave after wave of Grim and Hybrid. How Capelli survived without losing any limbs or experiencing massive burns is ridiculous video game nonsense. See, it'd make PERFECT sense if Capelli still had the Chimera Vaccine working in his body. He'd just heal. No biggie. But Capelli doesn't have that anymore. I guess the Wardens dumped a bunch of Chimeran healing goop on his unconscious body or something, who knows.

I think Mick just sort of shot the corpses next to Capelli and then somehow knocked him out by sheer concussive force or something because none of the shots he fires seems to really connect with Joe.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Cooked Auto posted:

I think Mick just sort of shot the corpses next to Capelli and then somehow knocked him out by sheer concussive force or something because none of the shots he fires seems to really connect with Joe.

Yeah, sorry, what I meant was you're able to do exactly that in-game and kill enemies with it.

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

Blind Sally posted:

Oh, I know, I'm simply not over the ridiculousness of Capelli being triple-bombed into mere unconsciousness. Perhaps I should've applied more :v: for clarity.

Although now I'm wondering how many of those things it would take to suicide at that range. Could you perhaps science for us?

Fish Noise fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Aug 29, 2016

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

Blind Sally posted:

But seriously, not only is this gun nearly 1-for-1 a knock off of Unreal and Unreal Tournament's Biorifle

I don't know whether it's good or bad, but the part where you mentioned the Stinger made me go "hey, the Stinger is an Unreal gun too" and then figure it out. :shepface:

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
It's ok, you were only killing dudes in that prison, the repopulation potential of the human race wasn't being overly limited.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

Blind Sally posted:

Ha, it's all just opinions. I mean, I'm not saying Yahtzee sometimes has bad opinions, but he disliked Demon's Souls because he couldn't figure out that moving in a direction AND pressing O let the character dodge roll. The Mutator does have some pretty horrific and unique kill animations, but I find it to be too much of a knock-off that fills a niche already populated by superior guns (i.e., shotgun concussive grenade, cryogun).

Also, Herbert Sawicki built the Mutator.

Oh, he's not the end all, be all of video games, it's just like the only thing I could remember about Resistance 3 until I saw this LP, so I was so excited to see it... and what the gently caress did Herbert make it with?
A weaponized virus, made from a mutated Chimera virus, and fired out of a gun without harming the person holding the gun. You can't just make that. That kind of science takes years of research, thousands of test subjects, a host to safely breed the virus in, and advanced gene editing that didn't exist in the 40's or 50's. He's in a prison, not MIT or the Pentagon, no matter how smart the guy is, he can't do that. WE DIDN'T EVEN KNOW WHAT THE STRUCTURE OF DNA WAS UNTIL 1953.

Anyways, why get upset about really bad science when we have really bad story telling to pick apart. So, this should have been one of the first sections in the game. We would have just left home, seeing how everyone worked together and how humanity was barely clinging to life, and then another ghost from our past forces us to us the Chimera as a weapon against other humans. This would have some impact if it was directly after the boat, but after Ravenholm it doesn't really mean much. It's just another combat area, and the people in it are so cartoonishly evil that there is no moral quandary in deciding to call in Chimera death squads.
How Mick was handled was very upsetting. He's clever and physically imposing, a great antagonist to the hyper capable Capelli, but he just twirls his mustache at us until a lovely QTE sequence kills him. If the prison was earlier in the game, Mick could be hunting you across the country for ruining his kingdom, and the exploding head would feel justified, but the QTE made me uncomfortable. Mick jiggling with the HE round behind his eyes was excessive

Apep727
Jun 18, 2016
I might catch some flak for this, but I was never all that impressed by the biorifle in UT. Maybe it's because it just didn't seem all that useful - yeah, the goop will explode, but that doesn't help if I take a rocket to the face first. At least with the knock-off version, you have the benefit of turning some enemies into mines, which is pretty cool. Still, gimmick gun is gimmick gun.

And once again, we have such a plethora of missed opportunities with this game. I mean, could we have maybe established that human threats existed before the train level? Even casual stuff, like someone back in the starting town or radio guy bringing up raiders would have been nice. And of course there's all the stuff with having the lead bad guy here basically be Capelli's evil twin. But no, we don't get any of that. Even the weapons are either generic, recycled, or ripped-off from other games. Because, you know, :effort:.

Kind of applies to this whole game, really.

And I can totally see why you don't like this section - at least one part of it is a sewer level, and sewer levels suck by definition.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Apep727 posted:

I might catch some flak for this[...]

:haw:

nice one

Apep727
Jun 18, 2016
That was totally unintentional, but I'll take credit for it regardless.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Liver
May 4, 2009

Oh, hey Paul Eiding. Fancy seeing you in this game.

• Locked thread