Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

I shall devour your soul.
Grimey Drawer

(Creating that image was a lot more difficult than it has any right to be :v:)

Latest update:

DOOM is the latest entry in the Doom franchise. Its primary feature is that IT'S THE GAME THAT DOOM 3 SHOULD HAVE BEEN WE FINALLY GOT THE MODERN DOOM THAT WE DESERVE YES. While the game is by no means perfect (and I will be pointing out the flaws during the LP in both the videos and the thread, and encourage the thread to do the same), it is a drat good game that redeems id Software for all the meh games that they have released in the past years.

The LP is a 100% LP with post-commentary. While I originally planned to do heavy editing, it turned out to be unnecessary, as the game is so fast-paced that even the longest backtracks don't ever take longer than maybe a minute.

I am not cutting out any deaths, because, in words of a notable contemporary philosopher and human sciences researcher Dom Mazzetti, that would take away one of the basic human instincts - THE FEAR OF DEATH. We don't want that, now, do we?

I am playing the game on Ultra-Violence difficulty. It's supposed to be the "hard" difficulty, but it really feels like normal instead. Unfortunately, the difficulty levels in the game don't go up in proper steps - the next level, Nightmare, I'm not skilled enough to play, as everything kills you in 1 to 3 hits, and the game doesn't let you evade all the damage (which is not intentional and is a result of the way the battle arenas are designed, there aren't any hitscan enemies in the game). While I think I could be able to grind through Nightmare, given enough time, I think that this would not be enjoyable for anyone, so to Hell with that.

The game has a challenges mechanic. It is bad and annoying and the thread is free to rant about them, but I will get them all done for the sake of the completionism. Most of the time I will do it during the level proper, sometimes I will splice whatever I failed to do in the end of the appropriate video.

The game does have lore. Although it wants you to think that the story is not the focus, the 2016 incarnation of the Doomguy is the most fleshed out character out of all the Doomguys, and the story is just half-assed and entertaining enough to hold the game together. It is also better (much better) than the Doom 3 story, hilariously. So, that is also subject to discussion in the thread.

They will be in the second post in the form of screenshots.

The game gives a lot of information about the environments, guns, enemies etc. in the form of Codex entries. I will not be reading them in the videos. Instead, I will:
1) Open them up for 1-2 seconds in the videos, so whoever wants to read them can just pause the video;
2) Have the screenshots here in the thread.

I'll get them all.

Doom has Easter Eggs that reference to the previous Doom games, to other Bethesda games, and to general pop culture. Some of them in the game are not technically "secrets". I will show off what I know, but I can miss some of them. If that happens, feel free to yell at me and tell me where they are, so I end up showing them off in an extra video. Also note that I will not show most of them off in the LP proper and will instead compile them in a separate video at the end, so if you feel like I missed something, please PM me, as opposed to spoiling it in the thread.

1) Story, levels, easter eggs, bosses - no. Not even tagged. That said, feel free to wink and nudge.
2) Challenges and rune trials - feel free.
3) Regular enemies, guns, gameplay mechanics (i.e. the double jump) - keep them tagged.

nutri_void fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Jun 13, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

Grimey Drawer

...dropped to negligible amounts.

Do YOU want to be like Samuel? Set your sights on becoming a Tier 3 advocate. Tier 3 is where the secret power within you is revealed!

...so if you get the chance to be a sacrifice to one of these massive beasts, take it!

Now you can return to work advocate, for now you know why we do this.

...performing EFN maneuvers around vertical drops or overhead obstacles.

...or compromising the accuracy. The capacitor in the EMG can also be upgraded to concentrate the energy into one large pulse for more stopping power.

...Marine

nutri_void fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Jun 13, 2017

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

Grimey Drawer

Gimbal lock posted:

When in hell, the End Of Fight riff might sound familiar to old Doom fans. It's a chorus version of Doom's e1m8 song, sign of evil.

chiasaur11 posted:

1:6 Now there was a day when the sons of God came to present themselves before the LORD, and Satan came also among them. 1:7 And the LORD said unto Satan, Whence comest thou? Then Satan answered the LORD, and said, From going to and fro on Mars, and from walking up and down in it. 1:8 And the LORD said unto Satan, Hast thou considered my servant Doomguy, that there is none like him in the earth, a violent and an upright man, one that feareth pretty much nothing, and smiteth the hell out of evil? 1:9 Then Satan answered the LORD, and said, Doth Doomguy fear God for nought? 1:10 Hast not thou made an hedge about him, and about his praetorian armor, and about all the manifold weaponry thou hath given him? thou hast blessed the ripping and tearing of his hands, and his healthbar is increased in the land. 1:11 But put forth thine hand now, and touch all that he hath, and he will curse thee to thy face. 1:12 And the LORD said unto Satan, Behold, all that he hath is in thy power; only upon himself put not forth thine hand. So Satan went forth from the presence of the LORD and Lo, Satan was stomped a new mudhole.

auzdark posted:

If you haven't watched the documentary on this, I'd highly recommend it - really enjoyed the thing and couldn't help but get excited for the game again after watching:

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL-THgg8QnvU4TMnDoFcI-vtJKwP2oLgyH

I can't remember if it was linked in here or in Temins thread, but there you go!

Polaron posted:

So everyone may have noticed that there's a lot of artfully laid out candles in Hell. Someone has come up with an explanation why: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3WOWUfD_fuM

nutri_void fucked around with this message at 07:55 on Jan 24, 2017

JohnOfOrdo3
Nov 7, 2011

My other car is an asteroid
:black101:
Currently playing through this game, it is super good. I'll follow along with this just to see where those last few secrets I've missed are.

doctorsacred
Jan 8, 2015
I love the first episode of the first DOOM. Everything after that had too complex maps, in my opinion.
The focus of the gameplay shifted too much from fun exploration and shooting to "where the hell am I and where do I have to go?"

I'm curious to see how this iteration handles this.

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

Grimey Drawer

doctorsacred posted:

I love the first episode of the first DOOM. Everything after that had too complex maps, in my opinion.
The focus of the gameplay shifted too much from fun exploration and shooting to "where the hell am I and where do I have to go?"

I'm curious to see how this iteration handles this.

It handles this quite well. Automap is now a thing and, of course, I will be looking at it every 30 seconds even after having played through these levels at least twice before recording, because how could one not :v: Also, the design of only 3 (or maybe 4) maps out of 16 is non-linear, and even then you have clear objective markers.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

drat you've got some speed in this game.

YOTC
Nov 18, 2005
Damn stupid newbie
RIP AND TEAR!

This games pretty drat good.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.

:black101:

This game looks really fun and I'm looking forward for the next videos.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Alexeythegreat posted:

The game does have lore. Although it wants you to think that the story is not the focus, the 2016 incarnation of the Doomguy is the most fleshed out character out of all the Doomguys, and the story is just half-assed and entertaining enough to hold the game together. It is also better (much better) than the Doom 3 story, hilariously. So, that is also subject to discussion in the thread.

I do love the characterization of the Doomguy in this. He's violent and pragmatic but he does have a few humanizing moments. He just has absolutely no patience for any of Sam's poo poo.

Samovar posted:

The default movement speed is a run, you can press a button to walk. That said I do think he's got his FOV turned up pretty high so there's some fisheye going on that makes it look like he's moving faster than he is.

Kurieg fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Jul 11, 2016

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011

Kurieg posted:

I do love the characterization of the Doomguy in this. He's violent and pragmatic but he does have a few humanizing moments. He just has absolutely no patience for any of Sam's poo poo.
He's also surprisingly expressive despite being a silent protagonist.

I got this game during the latest Steam sale and I am absolutely loving it.

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!

Samovar posted:

There aren't a whole lot of LPs / gameplay videos in general that I'll just happily leave on 1x playback speed just for the pace of the gameplay itself. This is one of those few. It's nice.

Sure, the high FOV does contribute a bit to the effect, but I think the playstyle accounts for even more. Even with pistol presniping, automap checking, and postfight scrounging, I feel no need to reach for the video controls at all.

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

Grimey Drawer

Fish Noise posted:

There aren't a whole lot of LPs / gameplay videos in general that I'll just happily leave on 1x playback speed just for the pace of the gameplay itself. This is one of those few. It's nice.

Sure, the high FOV does contribute a bit to the effect, but I think the playstyle accounts for even more. Even with pistol presniping, automap checking, and postfight scrounging, I feel no need to reach for the video controls at all.

I won't be doing any more presniping in the next updates :v:
However, the game will enable challenges in the next mission, and they will slow down the pace of the game instead. Well, not even the pace of the game, but the speed of progression, as it'll occasionally require me to kill things in painfully sub-optimal ways.

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment
Doom 3 imps? AGILE? :psyboom:

Also, no centered weapons. Voted one, bad LP.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Please tell me the player character will turn out to be the reawakened original DOOM guy somehow. :allears:

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

Grimey Drawer

Klaus88 posted:

Doom 3 imps? AGILE? :psyboom:

I remmeber having trouble hitting them, because they were jumping around
If I'm misremembering things, then I'm... er, :v:

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.

my dad posted:

Please tell me the player character will turn out to be the reawakened original DOOM guy somehow. :allears:

Hope so, the Doom marine, kicking rear end for all eternity.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

The Vulkan update for this game is out now, maybe you can run things at higher settings now Alexey.

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

Grimey Drawer

Mr. Fortitude posted:

The Vulkan update for this game is out now, maybe you can run things at higher settings now Alexey.

I'm pretty sure I always could, just never bothered to change them. Will see if there's any difference

Lynx
Nov 4, 2009

Klaus88 posted:

Jesus, how did I not notice that was an option? :psyduck:

Welp, time to play through this game again, even though I just finished it.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

The option for centered weapons was just added a couple of weeks ago, so it might not have been there when you played through the game.

And yes, it is the correct way to play DOOM.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
This actually looks a hell of a lot better than what I was expecting from id. Looking forward to the rest of the LP!

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Lynx posted:

Jesus, how did I not notice that was an option? :psyduck:

Welp, time to play through this game again, even though I just finished it.

It was patched in a couple of weeks ago.

azren
Feb 14, 2011

Kurieg posted:

Yeah, I'm really loving the whole :fuckoff: thing he's got going in this. Looks like fun!
One important question: do they limit the number of weapons you can carry? Because that's not the Doom way. I was so ticked when Resistance 2 did that.

Also, I assume we're going to find out what this whole "Lazarus" thing is later?

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Any chance you could make the codex entry pictures just a tad larger in the upcoming updates?

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Demonic invasion in progress. Status scan halted by Windows 10 Update.

cokerpilot
Apr 23, 2010

Battle Brothers! Stop coming to meetings drunk and trying to adopt Tevery Best!

Lord General! Stop standing on the table and making up stupid operation names!

Emperor, why do I put up with these people?

Bruceski posted:

Demonic invasion in progress. Status scan halted by Windows 10 Update.

The fact that this is funny is kind of depressing.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

cokerpilot posted:

The fact that this is funny is kind of depressing.

I can't recall which one, but in one of the Summer Games Done Quick runs this year the runner replaced a load screen with that just to give the tech guys an aneurysm.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

azren posted:

Yeah, I'm really loving the whole :fuckoff: thing he's got going in this. Looks like fun!
One important question: do they limit the number of weapons you can carry? Because that's not the Doom way. I was so ticked when Resistance 2 did that.

Also, I assume we're going to find out what this whole "Lazarus" thing is later?

Only in the lovely Multiplayer and Snapmap (and Snapmap's limit is getting removed in the near future in a patch). Otherwise no, you can switch between an arsenal of guns freely, no two weapon bullshit.

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011

Mr. Fortitude posted:

Only in the lovely Multiplayer and Snapmap (and Snapmap's limit is getting removed in the near future in a patch). Otherwise no, you can switch between an arsenal of guns freely, no two weapon bullshit.
To add to that, the multiplayer is a basically a Halo knockoff mixed with some CoD class-making elements made by a third party.
The singleplayer however is pure iD Software so you can carry all of the guns, though as shown in the video they did add the more modern element of weapon upgrading and alternate fire modes (speaking of, Explosive Shot owns :colbert: ).

azren
Feb 14, 2011

Mr. Fortitude posted:

radintorov posted:

To add to that, the multiplayer is a basically a Halo knockoff mixed with some CoD class-making elements made by a third party.
The singleplayer however is pure iD Software so you can carry all of the guns, though as shown in the video they did add the more modern element of weapon upgrading and alternate fire modes (speaking of, Explosive Shot owns :colbert: ).

Okay, I can deal with that. I have no need for smugglers who drop their cargo at the first sign of multiplayer stuff anyway.

CoffeeQaddaffi
Mar 20, 2009

Bruceski posted:

I can't recall which one, but in one of the Summer Games Done Quick runs this year the runner replaced a load screen with that just to give the tech guys an aneurysm.

I don't care one bit about speed runs (but they're still pretty cool), but this owns.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.
Just as a small note, you have The Possessed in your codex entry twice.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

Speaking of the Possessed, I'm not really a huge fan of their design. Sure, the basic ones look pretty creepy with the big hole where the face should be, but as far as cannon fodder enemies go I very much prefer the original zombiemen from the old games. I also miss how the zombiemen and other former humans had proper guns instead of these things that shoot a bunch of red light orbs. The possessed soldiers just look like some generic sci-fi shooter enemies.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
I'm OK with the possessed soldiers having a gun like that for ~lore reasons~ that haven't come up yet (plasma rifle replaced the heavy assault rifle as standard issue for soldiers).

Alavaria
Apr 3, 2009
The fireballs also arc in this compared to the floaty ones in Doom1/2

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

Grimey Drawer
I was planning to showcase the centered weapons alongside the classic Doom maps :v:

MiddleOne posted:

Any chance you could make the codex entry pictures just a tad larger in the upcoming updates?

Absolutely.

azren posted:

I don't think they explain it any further than what we already know: it's a wave of demonic energy that kills most people and transforms some of them. I stopped reading the codex entries halfway through the game, so I could be wrong :v:

CzarChasm posted:

Just as a small note, you have The Possessed in your codex entry twice.

It's one entry that was too big to fit into one screen. I'll keep doing that for the entries where there's way too much text for one picture.

Doc Morbid posted:

Speaking of the Possessed, I'm not really a huge fan of their design. Sure, the basic ones look pretty creepy with the big hole where the face should be, but as far as cannon fodder enemies go I very much prefer the original zombiemen from the old games. I also miss how the zombiemen and other former humans had proper guns instead of these things that shoot a bunch of red light orbs. The possessed soldiers just look like some generic sci-fi shooter enemies.

Counterpoint: hitscan is annoying.

Alavaria posted:

The fireballs also arc in this compared to the floaty ones in Doom1/2

Yeah, and they arced in Doom 3, which is also why I remembered it when talking about imps.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

Alexeythegreat posted:

Counterpoint: hitscan is annoying.
Bah! Back in my day we had to fight a million shotgun guys and heavy weapon dudes with hitscan weapons and we liked it, dammit! :corsair:

Seriously though, not having hitscan enemies is good, even if I don't care for some of the visual design.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Alexeythegreat posted:

I don't think they explain it any further than what we already know: it's a wave of demonic energy that kills most people and transforms some of them. I stopped reading the codex entries halfway through the game, so I could be wrong :v:

Well.. Sort of, It's more that it was designed to work that way because Olivia. I'm pretty sure her own secret hell-lab is called Lazarus Labs. That said the later codex entries are pretty great, as they go into the inner workings of exactly how UAC functions and how it treats it's employees.

Kurieg fucked around with this message at 15:27 on Jul 12, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Apep727
Jun 18, 2016

azren posted:

I can't help but think that he's kind of channeling the average player: "Stop bothering me with plot! Just shut up and let me shoot things!"

• Locked thread