Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

I shall devour your soul.
Grimey Drawer

Y-Hat posted:

I read that Foundry Team entry like it was from an old World War II newsreel. Those Pentagram tattoos are like what kooky Christians thought about supermarket bar code scanners but real.

My WWII newsreels are different :ussr:

Last Transmission posted:

No one mentioning that the lava/molten metal death animation is a blatant terminator reference?
And it's a great reward for those who try and gently caress up a jump in this section! (the little touches)

I didn't mention it explicitly because I assumed that between the highly subtle way I showcased that animation in the update and the fact that that Terminator 2 scene isn't obscure at all, I thought that it would be obvious to anyone. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alavaria
Apr 3, 2009

Samovar posted:

Yeah, I do agree that the unbreakable glass window shtick is kinda lame, especially with everything else done in the game. Would have made more sense to have had DG try and punch through the glass, or be subjected to some kind of electrical shock that would explain him not being able to do anything.
No best would be if they broke through the glass, but just a little bit too late.

Ofc the inevitable bossfight occurs later on when DG is not too late at breaking through the reinforced glass.

White Coke
May 29, 2015

Alexeythegreat posted:

So what, were barcodes supposed to be a sign of allegiance to some kind of capitalist conspiracy?

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Weed Wolf posted:

bethesda softworks has 100+ employees (450 according to linkedin but that probably has a good deal of ex-employees who haven't updated). it's a AAA game studio. it's not midsize by any stretch.

and adding to the echo chamber that Fallout New Vegas is the only acceptable current generation fallout: the FPS mechanics aren't overwhelming, the RPG mechanics are front and center, and the writing is top notch. Play fallout new vegas, OP.

In contrast, Ubisoft Montreal has more than 2,000 employees.

FailAtMagic
Apr 11, 2011

Alexeythegreat posted:

I didn't mention it explicitly because I assumed that between the highly subtle way I showcased that animation in the update and the fact that that Terminator 2 scene isn't obscure at all, I thought that it would be obvious to anyone. :v:

You mentioned you need to replay the game if your footage gets corrupted may I suggest making a copy of your savefile on an external device? So that you don't have to replay the whole game if something bad happens. Unless you were just joking ofcourse.

Qrr
Aug 14, 2015

PurpleXVI posted:

I always found the Rocket Launcher to be pretty useful. With the lock-on secondary ability it becomes GREAT for pummelling distant enemies taking pot shots at you. I don't think it counts as a spoiler that this, a Doom game, has Cacodemons, and I found it wonderful for dealing with them, because two salvos would splort them effectively, freeing me up to focus on ground-bound enemies.

As with all questions, the answer to cacodemons is siege mode.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Qrr posted:

berzerk.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
The answer to everything is the Super Shotgun :colbert:

KeiraWalker
Sep 5, 2011

Me? Don't worry about me...
Grimey Drawer
Re: lava... regardless of if it is correct or redundant to refer to liquid volcanic rock as 'molten lava,' you are in a foundry--the hot stuff in there is indeed molten metal, not lava.

Love the intermission, on a related note.

Apep727
Jun 18, 2016
Okay, I know that gameplay and story are more segregated in this game than Mississippi in 1932, but I think I deserve some kind of explanation for how killing a bunch of demons stops a reactor from melting down. I mean, could we have at least gotten DG pushing a button or something? I don't think that's too much to ask.

azren
Feb 14, 2011

Apep727 posted:

Okay, I know that gameplay and story are more segregated in this game than Mississippi in 1932, but I think I deserve some kind of explanation for how killing a bunch of demons stops a reactor from melting down. I mean, could we have at least gotten DG pushing a button or something? I don't think that's too much to ask.

Their... um... the demons' hellish presence suffused the area with... er... HELL-HOT, yeah! And the HELL-HOT was making all of the other stuff, normally only used to "molten-metal-and-reactor-core-hot," overheat, and so it was melting down. So killing all of the demons made all of the HELL-HOT-ness dissipate (which was expedited by the extra ventilation most of the deaths gave the demons), so it wasn't too... hot... any more. Yeah.

Marvelous comparison, btw.

azren fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Aug 24, 2016

Qrr
Aug 14, 2015

Apep727 posted:

Doom guy did press a button, which turned on the fans.

Then the demons showed up, because they really, really hate fans. Sure, they torture people in hell, but that's only because people create fans. loving fans.

And then it doesn't inform you that the reactor is fixed til all the demons are dead because it's busy informing you that it won't open the doors til all the demons are dead before that.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

One of those demons was sitting its rear end on the abort button.

Apep727
Jun 18, 2016

Qrr posted:

Doom guy did press a button, which turned on the fans.

Then the demons showed up, because they really, really hate fans. Sure, they torture people in hell, but that's only because people create fans. loving fans.

And then it doesn't inform you that the reactor is fixed til all the demons are dead because it's busy informing you that it won't open the doors til all the demons are dead before that.

No, I think I prefer the "radiate supernatural heat" theory. I mean, what's more logical: that the guys who programmed the computers at this facility thought the "hey, we're putting this place on lock-down because demons" announcement took priority over the "hey, you managed to avert a core meltdown" announcement, or that demons generate special heat that can only be ventilated by blowing holes in them? Come on, man, it's common sense.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Apep727 posted:

No, I think I prefer the "radiate supernatural heat" theory. I mean, what's more logical: that the guys who programmed the computers at this facility thought the "hey, we're putting this place on lock-down because demons" announcement took priority over the "hey, you managed to avert a core meltdown" announcement, or that demons generate special heat that can only be ventilated by blowing holes in them? Come on, man, it's common sense.

I mean the bodies burn into nothingness upon death so ...

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Qrr posted:

Now I just had a mental image of a cacodemon entering siege mode like a Starcraft siege tank. :downs:

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

Grimey Drawer
Okay, I've had some issues with my software, which turned into issues with hardware, solving which caused more issues with software, which caused the lack of updates.
Now everything has been solved and as soon as I get to record commentary, the next update will be up. Hopefully, tomorrow.

It's like this LP is cursed.

Apologies for the delay. Delays.

nutri_void fucked around with this message at 14:38 on Sep 4, 2016

Aumanor
Nov 9, 2012

Alexeythegreat posted:

Okay, I've had some issues with my software, which turned into issues with hardware, solving which caused more issues with software, which caused the lack of updates.
Now everything has been solved and as soon as I get to record commentary, the next update will be up. Hopefully, tomorrow.

Apologies for the delay. Delays.

On that topic, do you intend to finish the Rayman 3 LP?

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

Grimey Drawer

Aumanor posted:

On that topic, do you intend to finish the Rayman 3 LP?

Yes, I am about to recover the save file from my other computer and finish it. It should be no more than 3 videos

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

You plugged your power supply into Hell rather than paying the electric company, didn't you.

White Coke
May 29, 2015

Alexeythegreat posted:

Who'd have thought an LP about an invasion of the armies of Hell would have bad things happen to it?

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Bruceski posted:

You plugged your power supply into Hell rather than paying the electric company, didn't you.
It was the best option for humanity.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Poil posted:

It was the best option for humanity.

*punches monitor angrily*
Oh poo poo that thing's like three hundred bucks!

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

Grimey Drawer

Bruceski posted:

*punches monitor angrily*
Oh poo poo that thing's like three hundred bucks!

There actually was some destructive anger involved :v:

silentbrains
Mar 18, 2009

Alexeythegreat posted:

There actually was some destructive anger involved :v:

I just call it 'percussive maintenance'..

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

When my mac power supply had connection issues, cutting into the thing with a dremel was half trying to fix the problem, and half incredibly satisfying.

Naturally it turned out the problem was the cable, not the box, and my solder-and-electrical-tape fix had a habit of getting uncomfortably hot, but it was still satisfying.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Bruceski posted:

In Putin's Russia, electric company is Hell

I'll see myself out

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Alexeythegreat posted:

My presence is enough to curse most LPs I follow these days. Blame me.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

DOOP posted:

In Putin's Russia, electric company is Hell

I'll see myself out

Ugh Putin jokes are just infernally irritating.

I HOPE THIS DOESN'T SPELL DOOM FOR THE THREAD!

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

Grimey Drawer

Turtlicious posted:

Ugh Putin jokes are just infernally irritating.

I HOPE THIS DOESN'T SPELL DOOM FOR THE THREAD!

I hereby make an administrative decision to allow Putin jokes.
You may drat be sure I'll be voting against his camarilla in the upcoming elections, even if whatever isn't a part of it has about as much of a chance of getting into the parliament as the US has of getting an actual third party.

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

Grimey Drawer

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
I watched the section three times and I didn't see it. What happened at the lever?

e: oh, the data pad

Slaan fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Sep 5, 2016

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

Grimey Drawer

Slaan posted:

I watched the section three times and I didn't see it. What happened at the lever?

I missed the datapad about 4 times despite looking directly at it

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

What is Burdon's rear end?

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

Grimey Drawer

Samovar posted:

What is Burdon's rear end?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buridan%27s_ass

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Alexy, you don't use the rocket launcher, you prefer the burst on the shotgun to grenades, and you think your '3' key is linked to a machine gun.
Do you just hate explosions?

That said, it's certainly interesting to see a play through where everything on screen isn't exploding at all times.

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

Grimey Drawer
I don't hate explosions, but now that I think of it, I do generally prefer more elegant means of dispatching my opponents, such as tearing them apart with my bare hands or blowing them open with the Super Shotgun and railg... I mean the Gauss Cannon :v:

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
I have to admit I really felt like the heavy rifle scope was the most "odd man out" of all the weapon upgrades, considering how it basically requires you to stand in place with something that doesn't kill rapidly, in a fast-paced gunfight. I much preferred the micromissiles, which were INCREDIBLY fun once maxed out. Maybe not the most effective option in the game, but very satisfying nonetheless. :v:

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

PurpleXVI posted:

I have to admit I really felt like the heavy rifle scope was the most "odd man out" of all the weapon upgrades, considering how it basically requires you to stand in place with something that doesn't kill rapidly, in a fast-paced gunfight. I much preferred the micromissiles, which were INCREDIBLY fun once maxed out. Maybe not the most effective option in the game, but very satisfying nonetheless. :v:

To be fair, it doesn't force you to sit still, it just makes you want to be farther away. And the weapon option that does make you sit still is a fan favorite that's been mentioned repeatedly for good reason.

One thing I enjoy about all these early mods is that the two options all feel really different from each other. The scope and the micro launcher turn the rifle into two almost completely different weapons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

White Coke
May 29, 2015

Alexeythegreat posted:

I hereby make an administrative decision to allow Putin jokes.
You may drat be sure I'll be voting against his camarilla in the upcoming elections, even if whatever isn't a part of it has about as much of a chance of getting into the parliament as the US has of getting an actual third party.

I'd settle for two parties with actual, substantive differences instead of one ideology with two factions that are, as my dad would put it, "exactly alike and want to fight about it".

• Locked thread