Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Demicol
Nov 8, 2009

Darth Walrus posted:

Can we put in the OP that Episode 0, the making-of documentary, is real good and interesting, and makes a great introduction before you watch the actual show?

Yeah it was interesting, wish it was longer.

https://my.mixtape.moe/dyymzt.webm

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
So is the amount of people exploding something that Gen brought into things or a natural state for this sort of show?

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 10:10 on Jul 11, 2016

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

ConanThe3rd posted:

So is the amount of people exploding something that Gen brought into things or a natural state for this sort of show?

Funnily enough, the violence isn't just because Urobutcher wrote it.

These shows can get more bloody and gory than you'd expect at a glance. I think they get away with it because they're all puppets and it looks inherently silly in a dark comedy kind of way to see what's essentially a fancy doll reduced to bloody stumps.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=52DapeZZTR0

(lol that I'm posting a bunch of Bangbubu clips in a thread for a Pili show)

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

ConanThe3rd posted:

The doc mentions that the Nitroplus crew were astonished by how roughly the dolls were treated. Apparently, they have (presumably simplified) stunt puppets for the really extreme stuff, but the main ones get some quite indelicate handling too.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Darth Walrus posted:

Sawano's soundtrack was a real good fit for the show.

Yep, I think Sawano hamming it up in the soundtrack is a good fit for a hammy wuxia story done with puppets.
(and I say that in the good, affectionate way!).

Turin Turambar fucked around with this message at 14:35 on Jul 11, 2016

John McClane
Nov 14, 2011
this show seems interesting but since urobuchi is involved I'll wait to hear what people have to say about the full series

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

John McClane posted:

this show seems interesting but since urobuchi is involved I'll wait to hear what people have to say about the full series

After hitting rock bottom with Rebellion there really isn't any place to go but up.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Urobuchi can be pretty hit or miss but may as well be on the ground floor for this one, it's pretty unique as far as "anime" that's on offer.

At the very least it's starting off stronger than Kamen Rider Gaim did.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Since Booch is somewhat notorious as a slow starter, this show opening so strong is a pretty positive sign.

Theowulv
Feb 21, 2015

My wall can now attack
Main villain just wants to finish his nifty sword collection, they should just give him the guard.

Demicol
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah come on, it's not like you're using the sword for anything, just keeping it sealed away.

Three Cookies
Apr 9, 2010

http://i.imgur.com/nAeF6PK.mp4

Three Cookies
Apr 9, 2010

maybe a little heavy on the exposition but its cool that the bad guys motivation is just wants all the cool swords now if only the vape wizard would stop being so mysterious

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

OP owns, arrow guy owns, spear guy might own? Anyway lots of standing around talking this week but it's an Urobuchi show so.

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

Arrow guy is awesome, and drat that was a nasty burn he delivered right there

"Oh hey, you've survived my arrow hail move because you're EVEN WORSE than I thought, good for you"

Haha

Oh well. Next episode seems to bring the gang together. Let's hope the princess starts doing stuff, she's kind of a nonpresence so far...

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

This show is epic.

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

They should of done the new season of berzerk like this.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

It would have been better animated at least

Jo Joestar
Oct 24, 2013
Is the spear guy supposed to be Portugese? He's blond, has blue eyes, and is named 'Juan'.

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

This is good stuff

http://i.4cdn.org/a/1468614524298.webm

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Every single time the camera gives us a wide-shot it looks amazing(er).

Jo Joestar posted:

Is the spear guy supposed to be Portugese? He's blond, has blue eyes, and is named 'Juan'.
I'm pretty sure that's just because the subtitles are using the romanisation of the Chinese names (pinyin I think it's called?), even though they're speaking Japanese. It's a nice little touch and acknowledgement of the source but makes it a little awkward sometimes. See also the names of the demon-swords which they say 'Makai Shinkai' but the subtitles read 'Shén Huì Mó Xiè' (thanks google).

Pierson fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Jul 16, 2016

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

Pierson posted:

I'm pretty sure that's just because the subtitles are using the romanisation of the Chinese names (pinyin I think it's called?), even though they're speaking Japanese. It's a nice little touch and acknowledgement of the source but makes it a little awkward sometimes. See also the names of the demon-swords which they say 'Makai Shinkai' but the subtitles read 'Shén Huì Mó Xiè' (thanks google).

I appreciate it in principle but it just makes me totally unable to remember either of the names of anything.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Pierson posted:

I'm prepared to believe that some of that is simply due to the romanisation system for Chinese having a... unique approach to phonetic spelling. For instance, if you're not already familiar with the Hanyu Pinyin system, try guessing how Cao Cao is pronounced. If you picked Tsao Tsao, congrats, you get a cookie.

The Store
May 2, 2009

I'm glad that a wuxia show is getting exposure beyond the absolute dumpster fire that was Wulin Warriors.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

The Store posted:

I'm glad that a wuxia show is getting exposure beyond the absolute dumpster fire that was Wulin Warriors.

WU-LIN WU-LIN WU-LIN WARRIORS *rap intensifies*

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D73KE-4MNfM&t=61s

(I know it's been posted already but this intro is so bad I can't help but do it as well)

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I'm really liking Bow Guy and Spear Guy.

Also, the show that Wulin Warriors was localized from?

Pili.

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

Pierson posted:

I hate it.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

"Written by Gen Urobuchi" should have sold me on it, but after that clip it would be criminal not to watch it.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Pewdiepie posted:

I hate it.

same

I'll just keep calling them by dumb nicknames

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
yeah, i have no ability to pronounce or remember all those pinyin names.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Same but I still think they look cool

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
It does sound like a job for a Phoenix Wright'esc alt. sub track.

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

All is for the best, in this, the best of all possible worlds

ConanThe3rd posted:

It does sound like a job for a Phoenix Wright'esc alt. sub track.

"There are some who call me ... Smokey McWizard."

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Dynasty Warriors, the taiwanese puppet show, dubbed and written in part in japanese. I never thought that meme would come real.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
OMG IT HAS A SAWANO SOUNDTRACK.

:swoon:

I didn't know until I started watching the first episode and it is magical.

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

I can't stop thinking about how awesome this show is and how much I want to see episode 3 already!!

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!
Episode 3 came out and includes awesome fights against zombie hordes. Also Pipe Wizard sure has a broad definition of "friends" going by how enthused the next party member is to see him. :lol:

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Holy poo poo, I wasn't expecting something like this ever but its pretty drat good. Its pushing all the right wuxia + anime buttons.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
The white haired sage is suspicious as gently caress for a Gandalf.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

Ok, I really like this show, but that bit in the intro where Dan Fei daintily traipses through water with her bare elephant puppet feet will never stop looking hilarious to me

I'm glad her and spear dude got to show off this episode. Also, I'll never get tired of Shang not taking any of this nonsense.

• Locked thread