Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
The voice actors make me smile just because of the type-casting, you got Gilgamesh who wants to collect all of his swords against Archer and off to the side we have Kiritsugu sniping.

Is there a trailer or something I can show some of my family? They might like this.

The fights are cool and well choreographed for the most part but the camera constantly switching around makes me sadly a little dizzy. :(

There's something in the way they have the shots and the characters moving around that reminds me of some 90's adventure shows but I can't quite put my finger on it and I like it.

My guess is Dan Fei with his plain looking sword and scabbard has the actual sword they are trying to protect and the one in the tower is a fake from the very start, it's a little odd how he's so OP despite being a wanderer with no fame.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Yeah I like the Wushu fighting a lot more than the magic attacks that seem to really lack gravitas to them. It's all Final Fantasy style stuff that doesn't really indicate to me "Is this powerful?" I don't know if they "land" with any kind of ompf. While in Fate you had Unlimited Blade Works and Gate of Babylon as being Really Big Deals and Ufotable did a gorgeous job making them feel that way.

Here? They seem kinda samey and interchangeable with each other, just spamming swords and it seems like almost all of them can do it. The pressure waves from just swinging the swords feel a lot better than the bullet hell particle magic sword spam attacks.

Yeah that's exactly it, it's like being in a Touhou fight. They're pretty but I lack any context to know how the fight is flowing.

For some reason I can't help but ship Juan with Demon lady in my head. My head is already thinking up justifications, he jokes with her like an equal, and by being a demon she must have had some issues where she wasn't accepted by humans, which is why she's in the forest surrounded by undead guards, to keep humans away because she kinda likes humans and the human world but doesn't want to face their rejection again and being all bitter about that.

And now just at the moment where he was going to die, she comes out and saves him in the nick of time.

Calling it now.

Raenir Salazar fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Jul 31, 2016

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
I like those designs, I'm up for it.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Shang keeps being interestingly mysterious and I don't know how short of him being a god it matches up with the hype.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
I feel like this has restored Gen Urubuchi's reputation, the last few works haven't been too good since Psycho-Pass?

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Jo Joestar posted:

Does anyone else find it suspicious that Shang Bu Huan was repelled by a barrier created to defend against dark magic?

And yet the Lament Lady and Fire Bird Killer weren't!?

But yes I found it interesting.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
I like the idea that Shrine Maiden girl might possibly gain a huge boost if she can figure out how to adapt her Sword Skills to her height and build instead of trying to blindly copy her brother/ancestors. Juan was pretty cool there trying to give advice on it.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Torquemadras posted:

Until he hosed it up with casual sexism - way to go, DORK! :mad:

I kinda want her to be badass in the end... She's the only one who's not insanely overpowered, AND she's the only one who really has beef with the main baddie. Come oooooon, let her take down the beautiful sword wizard

Was he? Since the whole Shrine protection business seems to be generational it isn't a wrong assumption that eventually she'll have an heir to pass down her family's techniques to, but she needs to survive to get to that point. It isn't like he was making a pass at her with it.

Another way of approaching it I think would've been to remark how if the techniques were up until now, meant for males with a taller build; then by adjusting those ancestral and ancient techniques to also work for women in the clan, would be a huge achievement she can pass down, and further strengthen their fighting power if both girls and boys in the clan can fight at their greatest potential each.

I think there's an interesting implication there, and why she seemed to set on vengeance for her brother, she was probably taught how to fight by her brother against the wishes of her family; it would make sense if that's why her techniques are ill suited to her. That the intended heir is meant to be the male child seems like an obvious implication.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
I think it's pretty obvious this is all one giant Xanatos gambit. Lin knew they would get captured and deliberately left half the party behind knowing they would follow behind on foot and arrive in time to free Shang and Dan Fei.

There is something for sure being planned in which Shang is absolutely is going to play a critical part in Kyuubei Gandalf's plans. He was very specific that Shang must be there at the end. And I don't think it was just so the Shine Maiden wouldn't die; he needs both of them, Dan Fei probably to unlock the sword and put it together, but why Shang?

The only thing I'm sure of is because he must have Shang's personality pegged to a T, and seems to 100% know how Shang acts on behalf of others, and this is important for some reason.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
This show is so good. It isn't too complex and kinda relies on some stuff kept secret until the reveal but I'm looking forward to each episode so much.

Ahaha so Shang is basically Kenshin?

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Phobophilia posted:

lin you hosed up this situation was dead obvious

On the other hand, it's gotta be one of the few times we had someone like Lin with a nearly Sherlockian calm in figuring out how he was duped and the extent of it, I like he calmly investigated the situation.

I'm starting to really wonder what's up with Shang or Lin. That we're missing a demon and Shang acting up in response to "Only one demon was killed." with "Or is it?" :smug: has me nervous.

e: Juan doing something truly Heroic is really cool, as someone above notices it's certainly possible Juan ends up taking the title from his Master in a very Klingon fashion and rehabilitates it.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
One on hand, Shang has been very consistent in his "Apathetic Jerk with a Heart of Gold" personality where he isn't really willing to let innocent people be harmed despite pretensions to just want to be left doing his own thing traveling alone unbothered and unburdened.

It's hard to imagine he's a Demon God when he apparently never recognized the Night's Lament and generally seems like a good person.

On the other hand, maybe if he IS the Demon God, but reincarnated in a human, this may explain his power and why he tries so hard not to be involved in peoples poo poo. He doesn't want anyone to be hurt.

It could also obliquely explain the barrier prioritizing expelling him over Night's Lament.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Mango Polo posted:

Lin going "oh yeah now I get it, it's all about surviving so we can get revenge! Common Juan we're going to gently caress up the bones of creation" honestly made laugh because of how hopeless outclassed she (they) are :shobon:

Well to be fair they one way or another probably feel they can't let him keep the guard/handle.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
I half suspect Lin stole Lament's heart. :v:

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
The reveal that it's not actually a blunt sword, bit is just a wooden training sword he painted metal is extremely metal.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Juan somehow keeps consistently rolling natural 20's on his Wisdom checks.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Wasn't expecting Shang to literally be Archer.

I loved the final fight between Lin and Mie, maybe I'm just overthinking it but I feel like they wrote some of the lines to appeal to Fate fans.

I think Torquemadras has a point that some of the plot threads feel kinda rushed. I think they didn't show us what happened to Lament because the writers maybe want to reserve what happens for the sequel and decide later, and probably ran out of time to better wrap things up.

Like I really do feel like there should be something meaningful about Juan losing an Eye and the fact that as someone mentioned, "Impaler" should work just as well for him and his spearing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Right, it's just a surprise because it seemed so telegraphed to go a certain way, but instead I guess he really did break with his "brother" and became disillusioned with seeking fame.

• Locked thread