Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Jenner posted:

The Avenger is actually a knock off of the Epoch and performs discount off-market brand time travel.

Sorry commander, on our last stop we lost the time drive. A pack of kids, a robot and a frog just walked in and grabbed it. You'll have to stop the Avatar Project in real time now, you've got 10 days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jenner
Jun 5, 2011
Lowtax banned me because he thought I was trolling by acting really stupid. I wasn't acting.

Jade Star posted:

YouTube LPs are hot garbage and most stuff on SA is good quality.

I have to agree. There have only been a few non-SA YouTube LPs I have watched that I thought were any good and it still boggles my mind that these screaming, rambling, babies get any amount of money for their lovely product when really good Goon LPs on YouTube seem largely ignored. I guess that's capitalism?

Example: After playing We Know the Devil I tried to find a good LP of it to link to my sister because I thought she'd enjoy it. Every loving LP on the first page of YouTube results is someone chatting for several minutes before playing the game and then spoiling the game within the first few videos (way before the spoiler is actually revealed.) Just loving horrible.

This means I'm probably going to have to do an LP of We Know the Devil myself because if you want something done right do it yourself/put your money where your mouth is/etc. So I guess look forward to that once I figure out how to handle the repetition that is ever present and inevitable in Visual Novels.
(I'll probably just do what ChorpSaway did in his Hatoful Boyfriend LP and just link back to reused scenes that were previously posted. But that might make for very short updates.) Eh, I'll figure it out.

GoneRampant
Aug 19, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Attestant posted:

I kinda liked Beagles content, but his upload rate is pretty drat infrequent, and he keeps abandoning runs. Not a huge fan of that, and when Jade's first LP hit I was happy to get to see a full run of the game by someone better than me.

Yeah, I like his stuff and he seems like a pleasant sort, but his update rate is... random, to say the least.

As in, "recently he threw up two videos in the same day after a few months of nothing," random.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I like ChristopherOdds Xcom2 lp stuff. He did a decent breakdown of each class ability and overall he seemed very to the point with his videos.

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

Hunt11 posted:

I like ChristopherOdds Xcom2 lp stuff. He did a decent breakdown of each class ability and overall he seemed very to the point with his videos.

Yeah,I actually like his attempts at strategizing. Even if he makes rookie mistakes fairly frequently (which the comments love to nag him over),but he's fun to watch.

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
Also, his videos go Mission, Strat Layer, Squad Pick. So it's easy to skip the boring bits. I'd like to say he makes tons of mistakes but he does better than me at higher difficulties, so I can't justify mocking him. To other people anyway, shouting at the screen is different.

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

Jenner posted:

I have to agree. There have only been a few non-SA YouTube LPs I have watched that I thought were any good and it still boggles my mind that these screaming, rambling, babies get any amount of money for their lovely product when really good Goon LPs on YouTube seem largely ignored. I guess that's capitalism?

Example: After playing We Know the Devil I tried to find a good LP of it to link to my sister because I thought she'd enjoy it. Every loving LP on the first page of YouTube results is someone chatting for several minutes before playing the game and then spoiling the game within the first few videos (way before the spoiler is actually revealed.) Just loving horrible.

This means I'm probably going to have to do an LP of We Know the Devil myself because if you want something done right do it yourself/put your money where your mouth is/etc. So I guess look forward to that once I figure out how to handle the repetition that is ever present and inevitable in Visual Novels.
(I'll probably just do what ChorpSaway did in his Hatoful Boyfriend LP and just link back to reused scenes that were previously posted. But that might make for very short updates.) Eh, I'll figure it out.

http://lparchive.org/We-Know-The-Devil/

Stephen9001
Oct 28, 2013
Part of the thing about Beagle was his huge-rear end Long War LP on Twitch (where he still does weekly stuff) which helped demonstrate how good he is at finding cheese, and how awful Long War is for trying to remove all of it, resulting in only the very best (and most patient) standing a chance of winning it. Point is, Beagle is genuinely a really good XCOM (both EU/EW and 2) player, and even if his unedited videos have him waffling a bit, it doesn't change that. Certainly, he showed me just how useful a scout can be.

I can have moments of... eccentricity and sometimes be quite curious about things. Please forgive me if I do something foolish or rude.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Stephen9001 posted:

Part of the thing about Beagle was his huge-rear end Long War LP on Twitch (where he still does weekly stuff) which helped demonstrate how good he is at finding cheese, and how awful Long War is for trying to remove all of it, resulting in only the very best (and most patient) standing a chance of winning it. Point is, Beagle is genuinely a really good XCOM (both EU/EW and 2) player, and even if his unedited videos have him waffling a bit, it doesn't change that. Certainly, he showed me just how useful a scout can be.

I don't think he's playing LW at all anymore. He had a bunch of aborted runs after the LW crew patched out some cheese in one of the their final releases, by which point Long War was just a race between Beagle exploits and the devs patching them, which made for something interesting to watch but not a very good mod.

Thefluffy
Sep 7, 2014
A nice thing about AWC is that the otherwise worthless aim skill actually is dammed good if you have the good fortune of having a sniper roll deep cover as it's AWC skill.

Jade Star
Jul 15, 2002

It burns when I LP
I too have no god drat clue what is going on with the clock when the avenger travels places. My best guess is that the game is advancing time while the ship is in flight, representing travel time but once the avenger gets to its destination Jake goes 'Whoa, hold on a moment there clock, wind that poo poo back, it wouldn't be fair to the player if 12 hours of time passed by with out giving the player a chance to give input during that time'.

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007

Jade Star posted:

I too have no god drat clue what is going on with the clock when the avenger travels places. My best guess is that the game is advancing time while the ship is in flight, representing travel time but once the avenger gets to its destination Jake goes 'Whoa, hold on a moment there clock, wind that poo poo back, it wouldn't be fair to the player if 12 hours of time passed by with out giving the player a chance to give input during that time'.
I've just chalked it up to that the Avenger has it's own clock set after it's own internal day abord the ship itself.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Thefluffy posted:

A nice thing about AWC is that the otherwise worthless aim skill actually is dammed good if you have the good fortune of having a sniper roll deep cover as it's AWC skill.

It's still a really bad skill in the middle of a firefight. It's fine for setting up an ambush, but deep cover and therefore aim only work if your sniper is just kinda hanging around doing nothing half the time.

GuavaMoment
Aug 13, 2006

YouTube dude

Donkringel posted:

Out of curiousity, what is this weird vibe towards Beaglerush? I've always enjoyed his videos and he seems a nice fellow.

I didn't want to post until I really thought through my answer, and then Jade Star summed it up pretty well. I don't hate Beaglerush, or wish bad things upon him. I've never actually watched an entire video of his, for reasons Jade talked about. It's really just us thumbing our nose at youtube superstars. I know we're now in the minority who think like this, but we're not interested at all in making money off what we do. We don't ask you to like and subscribe (we don't monetize our videos). We don't hold content hostage behind a patreon paywall in the guise of asking you to help 'improve our content'. We don't care about twitch bits or partnerships. We make videos because we like to. I got rewarded with a secret character in XCOM 1 and a twitter credit we had to pry out of Jake Solomon. That's cool! I'm grateful! That's really all I need. But maybe I do get a little bitter when I see someone else who makes crappier videos get rewarded with the same, plus free copies of the game, paid trips to E3 (or maybe tax-writeoffable? I dunno) and stuff like that. Can you blame me?

It's maybe a little more clear when I compare XCOM/Jake Solomon to SpaceChem/Zach Barth, the other thing I'm mildly internet famous for. I had levels I designed added into SpaceChem, and there's even a pack literally called "Guava's picks" when Zach asked me for level suggestions. Then when Wild M did the SpaceChem thing part 2, Zach sent him copies of the game to give away, plus other unique swag to give out. Zach didn't have to do that, but it was really cool of him to. Zach obviously isn't as big a developer as Jake is, so it makes sense for Zach to stick up for the little guy more than Jake. Maybe Zach knows a little bit how it feels to be the small guy and have someone else get super famous for stuff you basically did first? Hopefully you kids know the story with Notch and Minecraft. But you'd better believe if someone got hugely internet famous for streaming SpaceChem poorly and was gifted everything that I had to buy, I'd be a little bitter.

(If someone actually got famous streaming SpaceChem or Shenzhen I/O, I'd actually be impressed as hell, and not mad in the slightest)

tl;dr Jade and I reserve the right to make fun of people who make low-quality videos just for the fame and money.

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

GuavaMoment posted:

I got rewarded with a secret character in XCOM

Oh,yeah,I remember that. The ignorant plebs on the wiki thought you were just some Youtube celebrity or something? That's what I remember.

GuavaMoment
Aug 13, 2006

YouTube dude

VolticSurge posted:

Oh,yeah,I remember that. The ignorant plebs on the wiki thought you were just some Youtube celebrity or something? That's what I remember.

http://ca.ign.com/wikis/xcom-enemy-unknown/Cheats_and_Unlockables

<<<<< YouTube dude

Jenner
Jun 5, 2011
Lowtax banned me because he thought I was trolling by acting really stupid. I wasn't acting.

:eyepop: Holy poo poo! I don't have to do stuff! You're my hero.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

I should edit that page to read "TI-85 owner" except that I have many better things to do than update an IGN wiki with a more factually accurate AND important statement.

zyxophoj
May 24, 2014

Canuck-Errant posted:

It's because he continually finds new ways to break the AI over his knee, and Jake Solomon seems to have decided that 'countering BeagleRush's strategies' is the key design decision for XCOM 2.

You're not kidding.

DefaultAI.ini posted:

Behaviors=(BehaviorName=CounterBeaglerushManeuver, NodeType=Sequence, Child[0]=IsAbilityAvailable-StandardShot, Child[1]=SelectFlankedEnemyTarget, Child[2]=ShootTargetChance50)

For the uninitiated, the Beaglerush maneuver is leaving one soldier out of cover to get spotted by aliens, which breaks concealment on the alien turn. The counter is that the aliens now have a 50% chance to shoot the soldier in this situation. This nerf doesn't just affect people doing abusive things - I've lost people to having an accidental Beaglerush maneuver countered.

Oddly enough, the latest DLC un-counters it to some degree, since a Spark built for defense works very well in this role.

Stephen9001
Oct 28, 2013

GuavaMoment posted:

tl;dr Jade and I reserve the right to make fun of people who make low-quality videos just for the fame and money.

Fair enough I suppose, I don't think Beagle's videos are particularly low quality though, and he is genuinely really good at XCOM, which suggests to me he isn't in it just for the fame and money, I imagine he started with a love of the game, got popular and thought "wow, I could actually makes a living doing this" or something along those lines. I totally understand that it's enjoyable to be the underdog who makes fun of people who make money from their content and act morally superior to them.

You know, Beagle has a SA account, and now I want to see him post in this thread, just to see what people's reactions would be.

I can have moments of... eccentricity and sometimes be quite curious about things. Please forgive me if I do something foolish or rude.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Stephen9001 posted:

You know, Beagle has a SA account, and now I want to see him post in this thread, just to see what people's reactions would be.

The same as when he posts in the xcom thread? Don't be a weird fanboy.

Stephen9001
Oct 28, 2013

Brainamp posted:

The same as when he posts in the xcom thread? Don't be a weird fanboy.

Er, it's more the fact there's a bunch of people making fun of him here that makes me curious. Anyway, that's enough of a derail, I'll stop now, not really anything more to say on the subject anyway.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

there's plenty of that already in SA though, people talk poo poo about anime outside of ADTRW, people talk poo poo about firearms people outside of TFR, people talk poo poo about LPers and watchers outside of Let's Play.

People who don't like Prequel make everyone else know about it, etc.

Kazeite
Dec 27, 2012
Having seen it in action several times now, I'm rather intrigued by Grenadier's grenade launchers. Those things seem to have revolving magazines, and are... cocked? by twisting and pumping the stock. Is that a spring-powered launcher (like PIAT) or something? But there's a muzzle flash anyway, so... :shrug:

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I guess it's intended to be a magic grenade catapult and we aren't supposed to question it, but I assume that the stock twisting is supposed to be loading a grenade into the barrel, maybe?

Delacroix
Dec 7, 2010

:munch:

CJacobs posted:

I guess it's intended to be a magic grenade catapult and we aren't supposed to question it, but I assume that the stock twisting is supposed to be loading a grenade into the barrel, maybe?

The MGL is one of those movie famous weapons, I think they took creative license for dramatic effect since it's twisted apart for reloading.

Teledahn
May 14, 2009

What is that bear doing there?

Kazeite posted:

Having seen it in action several times now, I'm rather intrigued by Grenadier's grenade launchers. Those things seem to have revolving magazines, and are... cocked? by twisting and pumping the stock. Is that a spring-powered launcher (like PIAT) or something? But there's a muzzle flash anyway, so... :shrug:

Also have the same range as a good throwing arm. For comparison: (From Wikipedia, trusted reference for all arsenals.)

M203 underbarrel launcher, 150m
MGL (6 shot revolving grenade launcher, similar to what's depicted), 375m
M19 belt-fed automatic grenade launcher, 1.5km (Fires a much high velocity grenade.)

Balance reasons, no doubt. Given your soldiers can see a short city block suppose it fits. Looks funny seeing such a slow projectile coming from the launcher though.

Kazeite
Dec 27, 2012
Having just performed an extensive research (I've watched two youtube videos :D ) I've learned that in addition to that MGL is also relatively quiet launcher, and can launch other ordnance other than grenades - how about a camera attached to the parachute? Or various types of flares? :)

So, yeah - balance reasons. In that regard, XCom is more like a complex board game than turn-based tactic game, isn't it? I mean, for example, enemy units even turn towards anyone who's about to shoot them.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?

Teledahn posted:

Also have the same range as a good throwing arm. For comparison: (From Wikipedia, trusted reference for all arsenals.)

M203 underbarrel launcher, 150m
MGL (6 shot revolving grenade launcher, similar to what's depicted), 375m
M19 belt-fed automatic grenade launcher, 1.5km (Fires a much high velocity grenade.)

Balance reasons, no doubt. Given your soldiers can see a short city block suppose it fits. Looks funny seeing such a slow projectile coming from the launcher though.

The game has a class with a whole set of stealth abilities. Rangers could have been spotters!

Stephen9001
Oct 28, 2013

GunnerJ posted:

The game has a class with a whole set of stealth abilities. Rangers could have been spotters!

They already can, for Snipers and the bombardment ability we saw on Julian (which can be used on any tile your squad can see).

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?

Stephen9001 posted:

They already can, for Snipers and the bombardment ability we saw on Julian (which can be used on any tile your squad can see).

Yes, I was talking about for grenadiers, though, in context.

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

MOOD: BURNING - MUSIC: DISCO INFERNO BY THE TRAMMPS
Grimey Drawer
So, any plans to use the new fancy camera controls thing from the XCOM blog to give us a tour of the Avenger and the crazy people on it?

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
You really want Jade to enable debug tools? Considering past history?

Yeah, me too.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Psion posted:

You really want Jade to enable debug tools? Considering past history?

Yeah, me too.

Maybe he could send the save to someone safer and they could explore the Skyranger. You know, so Jade doesn't blow up his house.

Edit: I mean Avenger.

Veloxyll fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Nov 14, 2016

NothingToFyr
May 22, 2010
Agreed. The skyranger exploding and killing the entire crew aboard seems like the more pleasant side of the scale for that situation. Taking out an entire real world city block around Jade's system is also a possibility, so let's not gamble just for a look around.

Jade Star
Jul 15, 2002

It burns when I LP

Operation Naked Prince

A lot of work gets done on the base before this mission. Several compartments are cleared up for future building and provide a nice boost to supplies on hand to help start more construction projects. Notably the workshop was completed. The workshop works differently in the second game. Staffing the workshop with one engineer results in two staffing gremlins which function almost identically to engineers except they are limited to facilities adjacent to the workshop. With that minor limitation aside workshops let you effectively boost the number of engineers you have on staff. Planning where to put the workshop and other facilities becomes pretty important, but the constraints are fairly easy to work around. Personally I like to have the communication center nearby as that is a building you will always want fully staffed. Other possible considerations include the Psi Lab and the Proving Grounds.

Other than that the base is in pretty good shape. I now have the manpower and energy supply needed to build and staff most if not all of the facilities that are my immediate concerns. With the Avatar progress tracker getting pretty high the ability to contact and expand into a large number of additional regions will be a huge benefit not only for fighting the Avatar project but for securing more continent bonuses and additional income from the extra regions. The Psi Lab is still in the process of getting built and can not arrive soon enough. Psionic soldier progression works differently in the second game versus the first but I'll cover that in depth when we get there. For now I'll say that getting a Psi Lab up early is certainly possible, but expensive. Once you get going out of the early game there becomes a huge list of possibilities and facilities you have the choice of spending your time and money on. The proving ground, the AWC, communication center, a workshop, additional power generators, the GTS upgrades, and so on will present you with more options than you have resources for and so unless a conscious effort is made then a Psi Lab will take some time to get running. However there is a benefit to getting the Psilab up earlier rather than later, aside from the obvious part about having Psi soldiers. Namely Psi Soldiers do not level up the way the rest of the troops do. They do not level from kills or missions completed. Psi soldiers level up based on how long you leave them in the Psi Lab training. They will train and gain new abilities over time, rather than by experience in the field. Naturally this means getting the lab going faster means you will have stronger psionic soldiers faster. It's a judgement call, Psi Labs are expensive to get going early on, but the results can be very powerful.

As for the mission there wasn't anything particularly new but there were two things that were variations on what we've seen before. First off was the Unexpected Trouble of the queen showing up. Thankfully I got a good spot on it because of Talow remaining concealed. I got a decent initial engagement on it because of that and was able to drop a lot of ordinance on it right away, the frost bomb, the acid bomb, and then a rocket. However looking back at it I may have been able to do better by moving as many people as i could to just beyond visual of the Queen, overwatching everyone and then sending Shredder forward to trigger the Queen into moving forward into a wall of overwatch fire. Still, it was handled fairly well and didn't disrupt the mission too poorly. The Queen escaped with an unknown amount of HP left, but it's not very much and likely will not be a big problem the next time she shows up. Secondly was the recovery of overextending myself in the ADVENT building and triggering a pod of ADVENT soldiers near the end of my turn, notably with Cain caught out of position and flanked. Somewhat amazingly I was able to turn that around with a combination of skills and equipment choices and recovered from it with out any of my would be ambushers even getting a shot off on me. Nothing too amazing but another moment I was proud of my ability to dig myself out of a bad situation (that I put myself into by hastily advancing gasmask).

Ranger, Major skill choice
Deep Cover vs Untouchable

Deep Cover is a simple skill, if you do not attack during your turn you hunker down for free at the end of your turn. It honestly seems of very little use to me, though having never selected it I would have to wonder and test how it interacts during certain circumstances. Since hunkering down drastically shortens a soldiers view distance around them how would that effect a soldier overwatching? It could potentially ruin a soldiers ability to overwatch because hunkering down cuts their sight range down.
Untouchable makes a soldier immune to the first attack against them on a turn following a kill. It's maybe worded a little awkwardly but Untouchable grants a ranger a 1 hit immunity following a kill, but this immunity doesn't last more than the following turn. It's great for rangers that have to really extended themselves to get a kill and can be exploited a little when there is only a single thing left to shoot at your ranger.

Winner: Untouchable.

Sharpshooter, Captain skill choice
Kill Zone vs Face Off

Kill Zone sets up a cone shaped zone you place over an area of the battlefield and enter overwatch. Anything that moves in that zone will draw a reaction fire from the sharpshooter. This skill is only limited by the number of rounds loaded in the sharpshooters gun and the number of targets that enter the kill zone. This skill is perhaps the primary reason I place additional ammo capacity mods on sharpshooter rifles. It is not particularly hard or uncommon to be able to place Kill Zone orders to cover 3+ targets during a fight and the amount of damage landing a sniper shot on multiple targets all in the same turn can easily turn the tides of a fight.
Face Off is an interesting alternative to Kill Zone. It works differently in use and mechanics, but it accomplishes the same goal of putting a lot shots out against the enemy in a single turn. Face Off will have the sharpshooter fire a single pistol shot at every target they can see. That is potentially a lot of shots and a lot of hits. However it's still subject to the usual rules of cover, range penalties, and having your sharpshooter in a situation where they are surrounded by enemies.

Essentially there is no choice here. Either you want a sniper or you want a gunslinger and if the previous ranks skill choice didn't make you pick one way or the other then this one will. You will either pick Kill Zone because you have your sharpshooter set up to be killing things through squad sight. Or you will pick Face Off because you've chosen to have your sharpshooter in the thick of the things like the rest of your soldiers.

Winner: Kill Zone

Grenadier, Captain skill choice
Volatile Mix vs Chain Shot

Volatile Mix adds +2 damage to all grenade hits. This turns regular frags from 3-4 to 5-6 and further boosts the other special explosives. Focusing just on regular frag grenades which have a 80% chance to deal 3 damage, adding plus two to that is a 66% increase in their damage. That's huge. Grenadiers are on the field to blow stuff up and this is a skill that is easy to get a lot of mileage from.
Chain Shot is the lovely little cousin of Rapid Fire. It incurs the accuracy penalty of Rapid Fire but demands that you land your first hit or you don't even get to take the second hit. This leads to a likely situation of taking a shot with -15% aim and if you miss you get no benefit whatsoever. This is a bad skill unless your odds of hitting are super high. But this skill comes on Grenadiers who are your least accurate shooters. Maybe usable at point blank ranges.

Winner: Volatile Mix

:siren: Also a reminder to give Talow a nickname.

Jade Star fucked around with this message at 06:31 on Nov 19, 2016

Jade Star
Jul 15, 2002

It burns when I LP
Sorry for the delay between videos. And as of this posting you may need to give youtube a little time to process it, I finished typing everything before it finished and wanted it posted before I went to bed.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Boy you are just getting the absolute worst luck in this run. "How can we make life harder on Jade Star?? Oh I know, let's just have the alien rulers show up in like every mission because gently caress him"

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

A possible use for Deep Cover is that, as a ranger, reduced sight range ensures higher shotgun accuracy and Laser Sight crit chance during overwatch, but only if you get to shoot at all.

But yeah, it sucks compared to Untouchable.

(If any of this is said in the video, oh well.)

Zomborgon fucked around with this message at 08:05 on Nov 19, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Talow 'Soapy' Rosine

• Locked thread