Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
cokerpilot
Apr 23, 2010

Battle Brothers! Stop coming to meetings drunk and trying to adopt Tevery Best!

Lord General! Stop standing on the table and making up stupid operation names!

Emperor, why do I put up with these people?
For a brief moment in that video I was expecting to see glowing red eyes and hear a familiar and haunting cry...

that being said Sacrifice

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jade Star
Jul 15, 2002

It burns when I LP

apostateCourier posted:

Her footsteps in the snow, yes.

Hey, snow is just really cold water, slightly more spaced apart.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.
if you think water's fast you've never seen ice

Talow
Dec 26, 2012

I'm honestly curious. anyone even bothering to keep track of the amount of glitches Jade has discovered in this game alone?

As for skill choice. super-Nova is clearly the best option.

ousire
Dec 11, 2013

Now, Red! Seal the deal with a catchy one-liner!

Dinictus posted:

Honestly, we can make more SPARKs. Take Nova on Julian and look at the alternative skill setup for another SPARK another time, if or when you get to another SPARK.

Wouldn't it make more sense to give Julian Sacrifice since he's already extra tanky, and make the second spark the Novabot? I'd vote sacrifice just because of his first skill choice, and if a second spark gets built, give it Nova and make it as deadly as possible.

ousire fucked around with this message at 12:02 on Mar 5, 2017

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
The fabled Hulk Hogan Meat Suit. :eyepop:

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

John Murdoch posted:

It's like a demented Ronald McDonald.

Montegoraon
Aug 22, 2013

Cythereal posted:

It's like a demented Ronald McDonald.

I think you have a redundant adjective in there.

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

If I die before I Wake, I pray the Lord my soul to take.
Julian will Sacrifice himself to save the humans.

Emissary666
Sep 6, 2010

Metal Gear actually did the footsteps thing for bosses three games in a row. The End in MGS3, Crying Wolf in MGS4, and Quiet in MGSV. The only one it was absolutely necessary for was Crying Wolf, as The End had all sorts of ways to locate him and Quiet's footsteps could be somewhat hard to see at the distance you were likely engaging her at; Crying Wolf also had more visible footsteps.

Also, the final decision in the SPARK tree is pretty much determined by which path you've been following. Sacrifice synergizes well with Bulwark and Intimidate.

betamax hipster
Aug 13, 2016
Take The Final Sacrifice, and also rename Julian after Canadian folk hero, Rowsdower.

Zebrin
Mar 12, 2010

Chopping trees down and making elves cry.
Ehn... might as well go all in on the defense. Get sacrifice and just laugh off anything doing less then... what, 5 damage? That is pretty good actually. Especially since you use Julian as cover anyways.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Take Nova. It's free damage. Free damage. You know who doesn't need the added protection of Sacrafice? People who've already killed their enemies with that sweet free Nova damage.

Materant
Jul 22, 2010

see, what you don't understand is he now has

THE MANLIEST MUSTACHE

it defies physics

A vote for Sacrifice is a vote for spiting Guava.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

John Murdoch posted:

All it needs is a pink feather boa to complete the package. Preferably one with the same physics as the Serpent Armor's scarf.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

KnoxZone posted:

Julian will Sacrifice himself to save the humans.

Because Julian is being forced into the SPARK to help out the humans he doesn't particularly like is already great. I say we go the extra mile and make Shen put in some programming that makes it so that he has no choice but to also get hurt more in the process.

Sacrifice

Jade Star
Jul 15, 2002

It burns when I LP
Alright, its close, but I think Sacrifice is winning out at the end here. Thanks guys.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde
Good. You're making Julian do exactly what he doesn't want to do. :unsmigghh:

vdate
Oct 25, 2010

Materant posted:

A vote for Sacrifice is a vote for spiting Guava.

And a vote for spiting Guava is a vote against...uh...I dunno, the Prairies? I didn't think this all the way through.

edit: I really didn't think this all the way through because the vote's already over. :v:

zyxophoj
May 24, 2014

I think I can explain this. The important thing to remember is that there are three different lines in play here:

• The line of sight that makes it possible to take a shot
  • The path the shot actually takes
  • The path we see the shot take

In real life (and in a 23-year-old strategy game I could mention), these lines are the same. Here, they are not. Because the sniper can see the top of an advent officer's goofy helmet, she is able to fire a shot that smashes through the roof he's standing on and hits him in the foot. What we actually see is a kind of replay of the decisions the game has already made, and sometimes it gets the order wrong. In this case, it resolved the floor destruction and falling first, then showed us the shot. The trajectory we see doesn't go anywhere near the roof tile it smashed.

Compare that with the advent trooper who is third to get shot at - in that case, the real shot smashed the floor but missed its target. We see falling, but the replay is under no obligation to have the shot appear to strike the target, so it just shows the path the shot really took.

So... fix your game, Jake? It's a bug, but it's only a display issue, so not really a big deal.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde

zyxophoj posted:

I think I can explain this. The important thing to remember is that there are three different lines in play here:

So... fix your game, Jake? It's a bug, but it's only a display issue, so not really a big deal.

I guess this would also align up with the fact that if you set multiple people to overwatch and pull the first pod, you see promotions/achievements gained before anything happens. Everything happened as soon as you pulled the trigger, the "Dramatic play by play!" cam is at fault here.

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

does sacrifice only trigger on direct attacks or will sacrifice on 2 allies vs. a rocket instantly kill your robot?

Jade Star
Jul 15, 2002

It burns when I LP

Operation Miserable Tomb

It's time to get into India and deal with that doom tracker that's been bothering us for the last dozen or so videos! This late in the game the facilities don't usually provide too much of a problem. The total enemy count is known going into it thanks to the shadow chamber and is usually fairly low, 4 pods tops, with 1 drop of reinforcements, and maybe a turret or two. By now that isn't so bad and things can be dealt with one a time usually. There is no turn limit or timer to force you to rush things so the player can take their care in keeping the situation calm and under control.

I came into this mission with a lot of skills, equipment, and accessories just to play around with them. I even kind of went out of my way to showboat some of this stuff because it was a easy mission after the first encounter and I wanted to use all the things I hadn't before. I didn't get the best demonstration out of Sacrifice, but I'll work on that next time. Really I was hoping to get a few more people their final Colonel level skill choices but no promotions were to be had. I feel a little bad about this, some of the secondaries didn't rank up as fast as I had expected, particularly our grenadiers with James Dean Jr. and Eating Only Apples stuck at the bottom of the roster. I'm trying guys! We'll see about getting people rotated in. Except Bob Ross, he's probably going to be stuck at home for a long time. Already got a sniper and a gunslinger buddy, sorry.

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

rip somethingawful

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Is it I that is insane... or the rest of the world?

AriadneThread posted:

rip somethingawful

Talow
Dec 26, 2012

Apparently JAIDs can revive dead forums. Who knew.

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

If I die before I Wake, I pray the Lord my soul to take.
The total failure of that ambush was absurdly hilarious.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
[Actually I'm redacting this post because on review it's not as funny or impressive as I originally thought it was. Sorry.]

DivisionPost fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Mar 14, 2017

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

KnoxZone posted:

And just to add insult to injury, "Successful Shot Percentage: 100%"

cokerpilot
Apr 23, 2010

Battle Brothers! Stop coming to meetings drunk and trying to adopt Tevery Best!

Lord General! Stop standing on the table and making up stupid operation names!

Emperor, why do I put up with these people?

KnoxZone posted:

Eh Karma for the ridiculous first ambush.

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

"I was going through a time period where I was looking up weird stories involving necrophilia..."
The one time you don't horde all of your toys is the one time Guava wants you to....

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013
Hudson Bay is great, everything is cheap with the exchange rate.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

RIP Bob Ross. May he at least paint some wonderful paintings to hang in the Avenger.

Anaxite
Jan 16, 2009

What? What'd you say? Stop channeling? I didn't he-
I see your Skyranger is now borrowing from the Saints Row color scheme.

TheDarkFlame
May 4, 2013

You tell me I didn't build that?

I'll have you know I worked my fingers to the bone to get where I am today.

AradoBalanga posted:

RIP Bob Ross. May he at least paint some wonderful paintings to hang in the Avenger.

Are you kidding? Who do you think painted up the Bradfordranger?

Ok. Ok. Look, it's been a rough war for the guy, alright?

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

It's going to pay off eventually--I'm sure of it.

Any day now.

Now you know how I always feel about Killzone, Jade!

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.
I've never seen an EMP Bomb deployed until this episode of XCOM 2.

vdate
Oct 25, 2010
I might have whispered 'Rules of Nature' to myself at the end of this mission when Hulk went on his little axing spree. Still didn't redeem himself for the farce that was that ambush, but we can't have it all!

Also, congratulations on your Giant Robotic Crab syndrome going into remission, Jade Star!

Skippy Granola
Sep 3, 2011

It's not what it looks like.
So based on the last bit of the video the trick to success in XCOM 2 is just to Highwang it, eh?

"Vigilo Confido" means "Succeed despite stupidity" in Latin right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

vdate posted:

I might have whispered 'Rules of Nature' to myself at the end of this mission when Hulk went on his little axing spree. Still didn't redeem himself for the farce that was that ambush, but we can't have it all!

Also, congratulations on your Giant Robotic Crab syndrome going into remission, Jade Star!

Rules of nature is a ranger with the reaper ability butchering entire pods by themselves. Of note the rage suit and reaper work great together as you can use the smash ability without breaking the chain of attacks.

Edit: The best gunslinger I ever had got salvo as their random ability.

• Locked thread