Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
Jade, how are you getting so many hidden abilities? I have like, 5 colonels on my file and a bunch of other high level dudes and exactly one squaddie has ever rolled a hidden ability.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe

Montegoraon posted:

It's still pretty odd that the UFO was coming from over 13000 miles away, which is farther away than half the circumference of Earth. So, it somehow had to be farther away than the opposite side of the planet.

Now that I think about it, I've run into this same problem when I neglected to handle rotational variables properly. For example, say the Avenger is set at 90 degrees longitude and the UFO is set to be at -260 degrees. -260 is the same as +100 so they're actually only 10 degrees apart. But if you don't put them in the same frame of reference before you start your animation, the UFO is going to travel all of 370 degrees to get to the Avenger, passing right by the Avenger in the process.

It's a relatively easy fix, but if you get too zealous and forget longitude and latitude don't work the same way, then:

Wheany posted:

the Skyranger would some times warp from the north pole to the south pole

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Veryslightlymad posted:

Jade, how are you getting so many hidden abilities? I have like, 5 colonels on my file and a bunch of other high level dudes and exactly one squaddie has ever rolled a hidden ability.

Mod. True AWC or something like that, guarantees you eventually get a hidden unlike the base game crapshoot.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

I really prefer randomly getting special abilities instead of everyone getting one, it makes it feel more special when a soldier rolls something cool.

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Is it I that is insane... or the rest of the world?

chiasaur11 posted:

Mod. True AWC or something like that, guarantees you eventually get a hidden unlike the base game crapshoot.

Doesn't True AWC just make sure it retroactively applied? Aka doesn't lock soldiers out of their hidden abilities, if they do have them, if you didn't have the AWC by the time they would unlock?

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
Oh, mernf. I didn't realize it was that low of a chance to proc.

Incidentally, if you DIDN'T try to bring the shield bearer on the ship with you, Central will actually yell at you and tell you you have left an ally in the field. This happened to me last night when I did the mission and I was panicking and then I realized he was referring to my good friend the andromedan.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Yami Fenrir posted:

Doesn't True AWC just make sure it retroactively applied? Aka doesn't lock soldiers out of their hidden abilities, if they do have them, if you didn't have the AWC by the time they would unlock?

Yeah. All it does it make it so the first soldiers you train up aren't automatically worse for having ranked up before building the AWC.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Yup. Fix your game, Jake!

GoneRampant
Aug 19, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Veryslightlymad posted:

Hey, the good luck that's been building up whenever the Doom Counter Fuckery happens has to go somewhere.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
The AWC is not a random chance. Every Soldier has their perk and rank already assigned when the AWC is built. However, if they are already past that rank, say you get a guy up to colonel, then build the AWC, and the soldier's AWC perk is set at the Sergeant rank, then no perk for him.

That kind of thing is the only scenario where a soldier will not receive an AWC perk. The "True Retroactive AWC" allows soldiers to pick up their perk even if they've passed the rank it gets attached to.

zyxophoj
May 24, 2014

BlazetheInferno posted:

The AWC is not a random chance. Every Soldier has their perk and rank already assigned when the AWC is built. However, if they are already past that rank, say you get a guy up to colonel, then build the AWC, and the soldier's AWC perk is set at the Sergeant rank, then no perk for him.

This reminds me of something from the previous game - anyone trained up before you got the Iron Will upgrade would end up with a poor will score compared to newer soldiers. On top of that, they were far more likely to get shaken.

XCOM 2 kept the shaken mechanic but made it removable. I love that little bit of game design. It's effectively have a bonus mission objective - don't let the shaken guy take damage - which helps them get over their mental issues. It's a great way to make you care about your soldiers instead of just treating them as more meat for the grinder.

..and then the non-retroactive AWC goes and repeats the old mistake. It may not be as big a deal as a horrendously low will score, but I really don't like the result: that the best way to play is to leave the oldest soldiers at home.

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Is it I that is insane... or the rest of the world?

zyxophoj posted:

This reminds me of something from the previous game - anyone trained up before you got the Iron Will upgrade would end up with a poor will score compared to newer soldiers. On top of that, they were far more likely to get shaken.

XCOM 2 kept the shaken mechanic but made it removable. I love that little bit of game design. It's effectively have a bonus mission objective - don't let the shaken guy take damage - which helps them get over their mental issues. It's a great way to make you care about your soldiers instead of just treating them as more meat for the grinder.

..and then the non-retroactive AWC goes and repeats the old mistake. It may not be as big a deal as a horrendously low will score, but I really don't like the result: that the best way to play is to leave the oldest soldiers at home.

eh, not necessarily. If you're min-maxing like crazy, maybe, but I don't think the game needs that. the AWC abilities are so random that just getting an useful one like shredder on a sniper is far too random to be reliable. I'd much rather have the high level soldier with all the base skills at hand.

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
Or, if you really care about the AWC abilities, prioritize it's construction. Though I forget how it works with reward/purchased soldiers who start at a higher rank?

A higher rank soldier is often going to be better than a lower one with an extra abilty, but in some ways it can be a catch-up mechanic meaning you are less screwed if you do have to stop using your normal dream team.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Tylana posted:

Or, if you really care about the AWC abilities, prioritize it's construction. Though I forget how it works with reward/purchased soldiers who start at a higher rank?

A higher rank soldier is often going to be better than a lower one with an extra abilty, but in some ways it can be a catch-up mechanic meaning you are less screwed if you do have to stop using your normal dream team.

It depends on what ability they get. For example a ranger who gets aim does not radically change much. On the other hand if they get serial you now have the single most broken combo in the game.

Arbitrary Coin
Feb 17, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion

Hunt11 posted:

It depends on what ability they get. For example a ranger who gets aim does not radically change much. On the other hand if they get serial you now have the single most broken combo in the game.

Oh God yes. Serial on Rangers is the absolute best. Also since firing a shotgun is one action you can activate it, move and then fire and then move again due to Implacable! Hell activate Run and Gun for more actions! The activate Serial, move and then fire should work for any non sniper with serial. Doesn't Empanada have it as his AWC skill?

Jade Star
Jul 15, 2002

It burns when I LP

Operation Flying Fire

Not the mission I hoped this update would be; I get a supply raid opportunity before being able to manufacture plasma lances so the Madagascar plot mission will have to wait a little while longer. Truthfully there isn't anything super special about this one other than it's the first mission where I don't bring the SPARK in a long long time. I also make Guava happy with Faceoff so now he can shut up about it for the rest of the LP.

The rest of the LP, you hear me Guava?

Grenadier Colonel rank skills:
Saturation Fire vs Rupture

Saturation Fire will target every enemy in a cone and take a shot at them, with the added possibility of destroying cover. It's kind of a mix in mechanics between the cone of fire you get with Killzone, and the 'shoot everything you see' of Faceoff. It uses a lot of ammo but combined with an accurate grenadier and/or holo-targeting this skill can put out a lot of damage or at least holo-mark a number of targets at once and leave them out in the open to be cleaned up by the rest of the squad.

Rupture deals a critical hit and applied a status effect where all future shots against the ruptured target deal an additional +3 damage. This is great against high HP enemies like Gatekeepers, Archons, and Sectopods. Combines well with Holo-Targeting and Shredder as a lead off attack versus a large high HP armored target, potentially leaving the enemies giant robotic crab more easily targeted and taking large sums of damage.

Winner: It's close, but I'd give it to Rupture. Saturation fire is great for dealing with numerous smaller threats while Rupture is great for dealing with a giant robotic crab. The final consideration for me is that by Colonel level there are already many other ways with dealing with a large number of average threats; grenades, Suppression, Killzone, Faceoff, Stasis, hacking mechanicals, etc. while Rupture does something wholly unique which I think gives it the edge. Either skill may suffer a mission where the circumstances aren't ideal for it's use, but that applies equally to both of them I feel.

As a general note since there isn't a whole lot to say about a routine late game supply raid mission, let me at least say this following my thoughts on the above skill choice; Jake and the team did a much better job at balancing the skill choices in XCom 2 than they did in the first game. In the first game there were many level ups where the choice was automatic because one ability either sucked completely (Flush, Snapshot, etc) or where one skill choice was so much better than the other (Rapid Fire, Bullet Swarm, etc). There were even a couple of times where both skill choices pretty much sucked (Support skill choices that only affected their smoke grenades). Now having said that and hopefully jogging your memory on those times and maybe even the times I called it out in the previous thread let me say that Jake and his team did much better this time around. There have not been many instances where I have felt like saying skill A is always the best pick here because skill B is garbage. Blast Padding vs. Shredder is about the only one I can think of, because blast padding really does kind of suck and you get so much mileage out of shredder. Other pretty mild skills would be Aim (hunker down gives +20 aim on the next turn) and Deep Cover (Hunker Down after sprint). But I just scanned the wiki to make sure I wasn't forgetting anything and those were the only three skills I can really give any amount of poo poo for being bad choices. Everything else, even with how much I hate gunslinger builds, have good choices for a soldier if you choose to operate your soldier in a certain way. I may not particularly fancy Phantom Rangers (coming around on it though, I've enjoyed the use I've gotten out of Talow) or Gunslingers (Duke's doing better than I thought it'd go, but still would rather have a Sniper and just use an Assault Ranger for the close up stuff instead) but I can't fault the skill tree for making those class choices suck. They're pretty well balanced and accomplish a combat role that Jake and the team set to flesh out. So in a LP full of 'Jake, fix your game' I'd like to take a moment to say 'Jake, you did a good job on this one'.

...Okay moment over. Now go fix your game, Jake.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Yeah there aren't really any trap options this time around when it comes to skill picks, even the ones where one skill is obviously better you can still get mileage out of the bad one (Blast Padding, Aim, Deep Cover), it just isn't as good as the one you should pick. Unlike in EU/EW where the bad choices were seriously bad.

Olesh
Aug 4, 2008

Why did the circus close?

A long, chilling list of animal rights violations.
When it comes to shipping tons and tons of material over land through a fixed route, trains make a lot of sense. If you need to ship more cargo, you just throw more wagons on, up to the limits of your locomotive's maximum weight capacity and your country's infrastructure - your bridges need to be able to support the weight, after all.

There's no generalized situation where air or road transport beats rail transport in cost effectiveness for bulk goods over a distance, although it's limited by your rail network (which has an upper limit to how complex it can be). At some point goods have to leave the train by truck to their final destination, unless that destination is actually one of the stops on the rail. When Detroit was actually still a big manufacturing center, there was a freight rail line that went in a big half-loop around the city, enabling local businesses (such as automotive manufacturers) to operate with more or less direct access to freight lines, instead of needing to ship products and materials to and from train stations.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Kwyndig posted:

Yeah there aren't really any trap options this time around when it comes to skill picks, even the ones where one skill is obviously better you can still get mileage out of the bad one (Blast Padding, Aim, Deep Cover), it just isn't as good as the one you should pick. Unlike in EU/EW where the bad choices were seriously bad.
That is definitely one thing I do like about X-COM 2. You can actually have fun and play around with skills this time instead of having the same song and dance routine with multiple units. Want a sniper but also want to give him Quick Draw and Lightning Hands? You can do that and it'll work. Plus, as we've seen with cases like Alessandra picking up Shredder and Siobhan picking up Death From Above, the hidden abilities mechanic allows a unit to further explore combat options, giving them more utility and flexibility that EU/EW really never gave the player.

Although with how often this game runs like it's held together with duct tape and prayers, I'm amazed that Face Off didn't target the dominated Archon as well, given that the game allows you to target it with normal actions. But hey, at least we picked up a fancy looking emergency elevator in the process.

zyxophoj
May 24, 2014

Jade Star posted:

I also make Guava happy with Faceoff so now he can shut up about it for the rest of the LP.

If you really want to see the power of Faceoff, put fire or poison rounds on the sniper, and put a 15% repeater on the main weapon.

Yes it works, and it really shouldn't, since there are at least 2 bugs being exploited here. :xcom:

Jade Star posted:

Saturation Fire vs Rupture

Both excellent skills - as they should be, considering their position at the end of the promotion tree. One nice thing about Saturation Fire is that it doesn't need line of sight and is quite capable of damaging an alien that is behind a building. Of course, once it's been fired, the alien probably will have line of sight back to the grenadier. And while destroying cover is nice, the grenadier's own cover is not immune.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

AradoBalanga posted:

Although with how often this game runs like it's held together with duct tape and prayers, I'm amazed that Face Off didn't target the dominated Archon as well, given that the game allows you to target it with normal actions. But hey, at least we picked up a fancy looking emergency elevator in the process.

I briefly wondered if Face Off would target the exploding thingy that everyone was standing around.

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
If I recall correctly, Saturation Fire also nearly always sets your grenadier on fire, at least if they use it from cover. (this may have been fixed at somepoint).

Admittedly, being the kind of boring person that doesn't use Not Created Equal or things like that my grenadiers Aim didn't inspire confidence in hitting anything in the situations where it might seem cool.

Faceoff can shoot dominated targets if you pick them as the first target, IIRC. Might do the same for explosives.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Saturation fire pretty much always destroys whatever cover your grenadier is standing behind, same as all other cone/beam attacks that have destruction capacity.

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

Green Intern posted:

Saturation fire pretty much always destroys whatever cover your grenadier is standing behind, same as all other cone/beam attacks that have destruction capacity.

Getting to cover after razing a swath of the battlefield: just one more fantastic use for Salvo (in heavy weapons) and PSI Inspire (otherwise).

Honestly, PSI inspire is really underused so far in the LP- if you don't need to move your PSI op or can get a free move, you can get a free extra action for anyone in the op's sight on a 3-turn cooldown. It's a single action that doesn't end the turn!

vdate
Oct 25, 2010

Zomborgon posted:

Getting to cover after razing a swath of the battlefield: just one more fantastic use for Salvo (in heavy weapons) and PSI Inspire (otherwise).

Honestly, PSI inspire is really underused so far in the LP- if you don't need to move your PSI op or can get a free move, you can get a free extra action for anyone in the op's sight on a 3-turn cooldown. It's a single action that doesn't end the turn!

I like that you formatted it as though it were learned by a character in Earthbound.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

PSI Advent Burgers

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Olesh posted:

your bridges need to be able to support the weight, after all.

Can you space out the loaded wagons so the front of the train is off the bridge by the time the back of the train is on it?

spbwf7
Nov 1, 2012

The Lone Badger posted:

Can you space out the loaded wagons so the front of the train is off the bridge by the time the back of the train is on it?

There are some places here in the US that do that, one short lines that don't have the money to replace the bridges, or in industrial trackage where the impacts of taking the track out of service to replace the bridge isn't worth the benefits, and plenty of empty cars are around anyway.

But usually its just cheaper/easier/more efficient to replace the bridge.

Jade Star
Jul 15, 2002

It burns when I LP
This LP will resume when the NHL playoffs have concluded. RIP Guava Moment.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.
National Hockey? League

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.
Why does Guava have to watch every Hockey game ever?

GuavaMoment
Aug 13, 2006

YouTube dude

quote:

Jadestar: some time when there isnt hockey we need to xcom
GuavaMoment: lol
GuavaMoment: https://www.nhl.com/schedule
Jadestar: oh my gently caress
Jadestar: theres at least 3 games a day
Jadestar: for weeks
GuavaMoment: isn't it great!
Jadestar: welp, good thing i asked ahriman to cover!

RIP Skurpy Granerler and his banjo

Thefluffy
Sep 7, 2014

Lunethex posted:

Why does Guava have to watch every Hockey game ever?

because in Canada it is illegal not to.

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

Thefluffy posted:

because in Canada it is illegal not to.

The Viper King is truly a Firm but fair ruler

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?
Do a banjo episode. I mean a Skippy episode.

The Rabbi T. White
Jul 17, 2008

Jade Star posted:

This LP will resume when the NHL playoffs have concluded. RIP Guava Moment.

Someone buy him a DVR so he doesn't have to watch them all live.

Zebrin
Mar 12, 2010

Chopping trees down and making elves cry.
But if you don't watch them live, the only other thing to talk about up there is moose.

Jade Star
Jul 15, 2002

It burns when I LP
I didn't watch today's hockey, but i heard in the car that my Sharks beat Guava's Oliers in the first game. So suck on that Guava! Also I got skippy to cover the next episode. Don't worry, there totally wasn't a tone of new and awesome poo poo happening constantly in the video, oh wait, there was and you missed it.

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

Zebrin posted:

But if you don't watch them live, the only other thing to talk about up there is moose.

Well,there's also our lovely Prime Minister. Speaking from experience.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.

Jade Star posted:

I didn't watch today's hockey, but i heard in the car that my Sharks beat Guava's Oliers in the first game. So suck on that Guava! Also I got skippy to cover the next episode. Don't worry, there totally wasn't a tone of new and awesome poo poo happening constantly in the video, oh wait, there was and you missed it.

:banjo:

• Locked thread